Serving genealogists for over 40 years!
The Genealogical Society of Boone County and Central Missouri, aka "GSCM" is a non-profit organization founded in 1975. The objectives and purposes of the Society are educational. It is devoted to furthering genealogical research and promoting interest in family history in the central Missouri area. Persons interested in the Society and its objectives are encouraged to join.
Congratulations to our longtime GSCM Librarian, Mary Helen Catlett Allen. She was presented an Award of Merit at the Missouri State Genealogical Association's annual conference on August 6th. Our board members nominated her for this award and many members were present to salute her achievements.
Mary Helen has served as librarian, working tirelessly to make ours one of the best local society libraries. She co-authored A Marylander and Texan: H.G. Catlett’s Quest for Fortune in Early Texas. With her husband’s assistance, she was able to get the Mountain Grove Old City Hall and Jail listed on the National Historic Register. She retired several years ago from working at the Daniel Boone Regional Library. Congratulations Mary Helen!!
Membership Benefit update: Current members now have digital access to ALL past issues of The Reporter, published 1981 to the present. Please log in to Members Only area to access these. Members receive a bi-monthly newsletter by email and four issues of the Quarterly Reporter by postal mail each year.
OUR LIBRARY We are proud of our library and encourage you to visit us when in the area. If you cannot visit, we do offer look-ups from the holdings in our collection.
We are pleased to conduct brief research, for a small fee, using the holdings we have in our library. For more information please click here.
We welcome anyone with an interest in their family histories to become a member of GSCM. To download our printable membership brochure, click here.
Unless otherwise indicated, meetings are regularly held at the Boone Electric Cooperative Community Room on the first Tuesday of the month. Meetings generally start at 7:00 p.m. and include a presentation or discussion that lasts until around 9:00 p.m.
Located south of I-70 and north of Business Loop 70 on Rangeline Street on the west side of the road. (Use the parking lot on north side of the building).
Your regular attendance and participation will make our society more useful and enjoyable to you and all other members! Bring a friend!
- The June meeting is our Picnic on the Veranda. Meet on the veranda of the Boone County Historical Museum for a great evening of food and fun. This meeting begins at 6:30.
- There is no meeting in August, as we encourage our members to attend the annual MoSGA conference. For information about the August 2016 conference, click here.
- The December meeting is time for new officer elections. It is often (but not always) a dinner held off-site and usually begins at an earlier time.
- To provide improved public access to information from central Missouri counties which is currently inaccessible.
- To educate membership in the use of technological advances pertaining to genealogical research.
- promote genealogical workshops, seminars and forums;
- provide up-to-date equipment for the extraction of information
- To improve the out-reach services to members; i.e., queries, information, assistance.
- To seek out information on central Missouri counties which is currently unavailable.
- To cooperate with existing central Missouri historical and genealogical societies in the compilation of information.
- To maintain and expand a library of research material sufficient to meet the needs of researchers.
- Thank you to our web administration team members: Rob Taylor, Thresa Chism and Nancy Waller Thomas. These members have been trained by EasyNetSites to manage all modules of our website.
- The Bur Oak Tree, shown in our website banner, is the oldest known tree of its kind in Missouri. It is estimated to be 350 years old and is located near McBaine, Boone County, MO. The photo was taken by member Thresa Chism.
October Meeting 7:00 pm at Boone Electric Cooperative
Dianne Hart Miller and Bill Crawford, from the Boone County Historical Society's Historical Sites Committee will speak on Historical Sites in Boone County.
Midwest Genealogy Center
We hope you can join us for our Day Trip to Midwest Genealogy Center on Saturday, October 15th. We will leave Columbia at 7:30 AM and hope to arrive at MGC ...
October Board Meeting 6:30 pm Columbia Public Library, Conference Room B
All members are welcome to attend.
November Meeting 7:00 pm at Boone Electric Cooperative
Member Larry Jesperson will speak on using FamilySearch.org.
December Meeting 6:30 pm at Lone Star Steak House
Join us for food and fellowship, with a brief business meeting. The main order of business for the meeting will be election of 2017 officers.