p. 831 - CAPT. JAMES A. ADAMS
The subject of this sketch is the son of Robert and Margaret (Bowie) Adams, of Scotland, in which country he was born November 23, 1833; he came to the United States in 1848, and settled in Canton, Massachusetts, where he was educated, attending the public schools of that city. He afterwards learned the carpenters trade, at a town called Maynard, in that State. He came to Boone county, Missouri, in 1858, and formed a partnership with M. M. Bixby for contracting and building. They built the mansion now occupied by Gen. Guitar. At the breaking out of the war they dissolved partnership. Mr. Adams enlisted as a private in Company B, Ninth Missouri cavalry, commanded by Gen. Odon Guitar. When the company was finally organized he was elected first lieutenant, and was afterwards promoted to the position of captain. He had his leg and collar bone broken in a surprise [sic] while in pursuit of bushwhackers; his horse became unmanageable and dashed against a tree, injuring him as above stated. After convalescing he was made provost marshal, with headquarters in the presidents mansion, University campus. His company was ordered to St. Joseph, Missouri, in 1864, and he was appointed a member of Gen. Fisks staff, with duties pertaining to the ordnance of that department. He was mustered out of service at the close of the war, and remained in St. Joseph until 1867, when he returned to Boone county, where he has lived ever since. He is a member of the firm of Broughton & Adams, manufacturers and dealers in wagons, plows and agricultural implements. They have a large and constantly growing business -- the largest of the kind perhaps in the State outside of St. Louis. They make repairing of machinery a specialty. They have a forty-horse engine and a sixty-horse boiler. They average one hundred wagons a year. Besides the making of wagons, they prepare material for a vast deal more than they manufacture outright. This material is shipped to Kansas, Colorado, and Iowa. This timber is all procured in Boone county. They employ twenty hands a year round in their shops, besides a number of people in the country who are engaged in getting out and hauling timber to be worked into wagon stuff at their shop. This shop is the largest industry in Boone county. Capt. Adams lives on a nice little fruit farm of twenty acres near town, with a beautiful hedge in front, presenting to the passer-by a neat and cosy [sic] prospect. He is president of the school board of Columbia, which position he has held for several years; he is a member of the Masonic order, and has been master of the lodge for three terms. He was married January 8, 1864, to Miss Kate, daughter of Andrew and Mary Luken. By this union they have four sons and two daughters.
J. H. Alexander, farmer, was born in Mercer County, Kentucky, December 2d, 1815. His father, Joshua Alexander, was a native of Georgia, removing first to Kentucky, and thence to Missouri, in 1818, settling in Perche township, about eight miles south of where J. H. Alexander now resides. He died Jan 27th, 1867. Mrs. Alexander, nee Rowland, was a native of Kentucky. She died January 13th, 1842. The subject of this sketch came to Missouri with his parents in 1818, and has lived in Boone county ever since. He was raised on a farm, and has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. He moved to his present home February 1st, 1839. Was married April 8th, 1838, to Miss Emeline, daughter of Armstead and Sarah (Wade) Carter. They have seven children living and three dead. The living are: Joslina C., James T., George W., Elizabeth J., wife of C. G. King; Martha E., married to Mr. Copher; Mary Alice and Emeline. Mrs. Alexander died January 14th, 1870. Mr. Alexander has been a member of the old school Baptist Church for forty-five years. He is of Irish origin. He is a good citizen, a kind neighbor and a worthy man in every sense of the term.
J. B. Allison, farmer, near Sturgeon, is the son of Alexander and Jemima (nee Crawford) Allison. His mother was the daughter of James Crawford, one of the first settlers of Boone county. His father came to Boone county in 1815, and settled about six miles north of Columbia. He helped to make the first wagon road ever opened in Boone county . It was called the Boones Lick road. The elder Allison died October 13th, 1861. The subject of this sketch was born six miles north of Columbia, September 7, 1828. When about five years old his father moved over on Salt River. He lost his mother when eight years old. The children were then scattered, no two of them growing up in the same place. The first money ever earned by J. B. Allison was spent in educating a sister. The family were brought up under very unfortunate circumstances. The subject of this sketch was apprenticed out at the tanners trade, which he followed until he was twenty-one years old. From twenty-one to twenty-two, he taught school. He was principally raised in the vicinity of Florida, Monroe county, Missouri. Was married, November 14th, 1850, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Benjamin and Martha Woodson, and a niece of Warren Woodson, who was clerk of the Boone county court for forty years. They have eight children living: George W. and Benjamin A., attorneys, at McPherson, Kansas; Annie and Belle, teachers in the public schools; John S., Emma J., William Mosley and Mary H. Mr. and Mrs. Allison are both members of the Methodist church. Mr. Allison is a self-educated man. After marrying he engaged for several years in selling lightning rods and chain pumps. He afterwards followed farming. He was marshal of the common pleas court at Sturgeon for eight years. He was the Republican nominee for the legislature in 1866 against Major James S. Rollins. Mr. Allison was an unconditional Union man during the late war.
The subject of this sketch is the son of John L. and Mary Pace (Irvin) Ammons, and was born near Richmond, Madison county, Kentucky, February 5th, 1818. His father emigrated to Missouri in October, 1822. They lived about four years in Montgomery county, where his wife, the mother of John W., died. John W. and the next oldest boy lived with a gentleman named Baker for about three years, and then went to Old Franklin, Howard county, where their father had preceded them. In September, 1835, John W. went to Fulton, Callaway county, and commenced to learn the cabinet makers trade. In February, 1836, he returned to New Franklin and worked at the trade he had commenced to learn. His sight becoming impaired, he abandoned the idea of learning a trade, and went to work upon the farm of Simeon Switzler. He next went to Rocheport and worked for a short time at the carpenters trade; then removed to Fayette and assisted in rebuilding Central College which had burned. By an accident, upon the 21st day of April, 1842, he broke his leg, caused by a falling scaffold, and was unfitted for regular work for six years. He then taught and went to school alternately until April 1st, 1848, when he went to the Indian manual labor school, about seven miles from where Kansas City was afterwards built. He started to California, but stopped at Kansas City, and assisted in building the first grist mill ever put up in that city. He next opened an extensive lumber yard in the city, and prospered finely for a few years, when failing to make collections to meet his large obligations, he lost everything under the sheriffs hammer. He was elected a member of the city council in 1855, and was elected its president upon its organization. The mayor resigning, Mr. Ammons became ex-officio mayor until he ordered a new election to fill the vacancy. He was mayor of Kansas City during the turbulent times of the border troubles, and did much to prevent open rupture between the factions. He opposed secession as a matter of policy, but never doubted the right of a state to withdraw from the Union. He went to Chicago during the war, as he was lame and not fit for military duty, and worked at his trade several years, then returned to Missouri. His handiwork is seen upon many of the large buildings of Kansas City, Fulton and Columbia, and of late years he has done only light work at his trade. He has invented several useful articles, among which is a revolving bookrack. He has been married three times. The first time to Miss Julia Franklin, of Howard county, June 30th, 1846. The second time to Miss Isabel Kelsoe, of Decatur county, Iowa, on the 23d of March, 1864. She died September 28th, 1865. The last time he was married to Miss Mary E. Herndon, of Boone county. Mr. Ammons has had an eventful life, few men having had the experiences and seen the changes he has. He is still in possession of his faculties and enjoys the confidence and respect of all.
Is the son of Benjamin and Sarah (Westlake) Anderson, and was born in Columbia, December 4, 1854. He went to school in Columbia until he was fourteen years old, when his father moved to Callaway county and engaged in farming. Young Anderson worked on the farm until he was eighteen, when he came back to this city in 1872 and took a clerkship in the drug store of Gilman & Dorsey, for whom he worked four months, giving entire satisfaction. Then he took another and more profitable clerkship in the dry goods house of A. S. Campbell, which position he held three years; then in the same capacity for Fyfer, Trimble & Laforce for some years. Feeling that he was competent to carry on business for himself, he, in partnership with James A. Kimbrough, embarked in the stock business and in selling general merchandise at Stephens store, in Callaway county. In 1880 he and his partner came to Columbia and engaged in the livery business, which they continue to the present. Mr. Anderson is regarded as one of the staunch business men of the city, and is courteous and gentlemanly to all, plainly showing his Virginia ancestry. He is a member of the lodge of Knight of Pythias. The firm deal in horses, mules, and cattle, and are reaping the reward of attention to business and honesty in dealings that such gentlemen deserve. They do a leading business, and their stables are a part of Boones boasted and necessary institutions.
The parents of William T. Anderson, Benjamin and Sarah (Westlake) Anderson, are natives of Virginia, but for many years citizens of Boone county, Missouri. The subject of this sketch was born in Howard county, November 24, 1842. He was educated at the public schools, completing his studies at the Missouri State University. December 8, 1868, he was married to Miss Bettie, daughter of John F. and Sarah (Gordon) Baker. By this union they have three children, Dorsey, Clifford and James P. Mr. Anderson followed the grocery business from 1862 to 1869, under the firm name of Anderson, Garth & Co. After quitting the mercantile business in 1869, he followed the milling business, as one of the firm, owning and operating the Columbia mills. At present, however, he is principally engaged in buying and selling grain. He has been very prominently identified with the business interests of Columbia, and has held various municipal positions. He has been actively engaged in business since early manhood, and has prospered in all his undertakings. He owns a nice farm of 143 acres, and residence, one mile north of town, on the Mexico road. He has been a member of the Boone county Democratic central committee for the last two years; he is a Mason, also a member of the Methodist church. Mrs. Anderson is a member of the same church. The reader will find additional mention of Mr. Andersons business relations elsewhere in this volume.
James M. Angell is the son of Robert Angell, a native of Kentucky. He was born in Boone county, Missouri, February 11, 1833. His father came to Missouri in 1825, and settled in this county. His wifes maiden name was Martha Perkins. They had thirteen children. James M. was educated at the old-time log school house, his first teacher being John M. McGhee. He settled in Centralia township in 1867, where he purchased 700 acres of rich prairie land. He is now largely engaged in farming and stock raising. He was elected a justice of the peace in 1878, which office he still holds. Has served as director of his district school since 1867, and was one of the building committee in erecting their new school house. Was married, September 10, 1857, to Miss Hannah, daughter of Absalom Fountain. They have two sons and three daughters. Their names are Martha, Lucy E., Mary E., Redford M., and John M. Redford and Martha are dead. He has devoted much time and care to the education of his children. His daughter, Lucy E., is the wife of Frederick S. Sappington, of Boone county. Mr. Angell has tried one hundred and twenty-five cases, none of which have ever been reversed by the circuit court. Has married about thirty couples, and acknowledged over forty deeds. In the discharge of official duty, no magistrate perhaps in the county has given better satisfaction. Mr. and Mrs. Angell are both members of the Methodist church south.
William F. Angell was born on the old Reuben Elliott homestead, October 18th 1846. He is the son of Joseph and Margaret (Elliott) Angell. His father having died when he was an infant, his mother remained with her father, the late Reuben Elliott. He was brought up on the farm and educated at the Rocheport and Walnut Grove academies. He began in business for himself when eighteen, cultivating rented land. In 1871, he purchased his grandfathers farm -- the old Elliott homestead -- where he has remained ever since. He was married, December 14, 1871, to Miss Luella, daughter of Willis G. Evans, of Boone county. They have two children, William E. and McClelland. Mr. Angel is a member of the Walnut Grove Baptist church.
George and Lewis Anthony are the sons of Thomas J. Anthony and were born in Morgan county, Missouri, George in 1850, Lewis in 1852. They were brought up on the farm, but each of the brothers has a good business education. Lewis was a farmer and stock trader until 1876, when he went into the grocery trade at Centralia where he continued with his brother until they went into the livery business. Their mothers maiden name was Cassandra Sutton. There were fourteen children, seven of each sex. Thomas Anthony and his wife were natives of Kentucky. The firm of Anthony & Brother was established in 1878.
The subject of this notice was born in Morgan county, Missouri in 1846. He is the son of Thomas and Cassandra (Sutton) Anthony. His father is a native of Tennessee, and was born February 28th, 1812. His parents came to Boone county, Missouri, when he, Thomas was quite a small boy, and settled about five miles west of Columbia. He married Miss Cassandra Sutton, a daughter of Wm. Sutton. Miss Sutton, the mother of Lee Anthony, was born in Kentucky on the 7th of December, 1818, and came to Boone county with her parents when she was quite a child. One year after her marriage with Thomas Anthony they moved to Morgan county, where Lee was born. They lived there until 1862, when they returned to Boone. They had a family of fourteen children, seven of whom are now living. Thomas Anthony died in 1876, and is buried at the Wright graveyard, in Columbia township, where his first wife was buried in 1865. His second wife is still living. For the last few years of his life he lived in Audrain county. Lee Anthony, his son, came to Boone county with his parents when he was sixteen years of age, and has lived here continuously since. He was married February 12th, 1875, to Miss Lottie S. Tucker, a daughter of Warren W. and Martha B. Tucker, of this county. They have three children, two girls and one boy. Their names are Cora C., Allison Woods and Eva May. His farm upon which he lives is one mile east of Stephens station and six miles northeast of Columbia. The home place contains three hundred acres, and his other farm on the prairie four miles to the southeast of him, has two hundred and sixty-five acres. Mr. Anthony is a farmer and stock feeder, standing in the front rank of enterprising stock men of Boone County. He is a genial, hospitable gentleman, dispensing hospitality in that hearty, whole-souled manner which is characteristic of the Southern man everywhere. He and his wife are members of the Christian Church at Oakland.
James D. Arnett was born in Louisa county, Virginia, near Louisa court-house, May 8th, 1830, where he was raised on the farm, continuing in that business until he came to Missouri in 1857. He lived with his uncle, T. R. Daniel, near Midway, and farmed his place on the shares until his death in 1869 and continued to manage the farm for his aunt until her death in 1879, when he purchased the place of their administrators. At this writing Mr. Arnett, is unmarried. In 1864 he was drafted by the Federal authorities but was detailed as a carpenter and served as such until the close of the war. He is a member of the Locust Grove, Methodist church, and steward and Sunday school superintendent. He has been a member of the church since 1850.
Dr. Matthew Read Arnold, son of Lewis and Margaret (Throckmorton) Arnold, was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, March 13th, 1805. He was educated in Kentucky. After coming to Boone county, he studied medicine and practiced his profession until his death, which occurred July 22d, 1868 He was married September 2d, 1828, to Melvina, daughter of Gen. R. S. Russell of Bourbon county, Kentucky. By this union there were five children, Eliza B., Lewis H., Maria T., Robert E., and Thomas A. The first wife dying, he was married the second time, September 22d, 1853, to Eliza J. daughter of Joseph and Susan (Hill) Swanson. By this union there were two children, Matthew R. and Jas. P. Dr. Arnold was a member of the Christian church of Columbia. Mrs. Arnold is a member of the Columbia Methodist church. She is living on the farm purchased by her husband, four and one-half miles southeast of Columbia.
Joseph Austeel, father of Francis, was a native of Canada, and of French origin. His mother, Mary Grindstaff, was a native of Kentucky, but a resident of Boone county, Missouri, at the time of her marriage. The subject of this sketch was born near Burlington, in Cedar township, July 31, 1840. He is the oldest of a family of six sons and five daughters, of whom three sons and four daughters are living, all in Bone county. Mr. Austeel was reared in Boone county, with the exception of a few years spent in Saline county, Missouri. In 1866 he went into business at Providence, a small village on the Missouri river, situated in the upper corner of Cedar township, dealing in groceries and liquors, in which business he is still engaged. Part of the time he has conducted a farm in connection with his other business. He was married in Boone county, December 29, 1867, to Miss Fannie E., daughter of David Tooley, native of Illinois, but more recently of Cooper county, Missouri. They have had three sons and two daughters, Two of their sons are dead. In 1864 he enlisted in Captain Webbs company, of Colonel R. C. Bradshaws regiment, the 44th Missouri Infantry. He took part in the battle of Franklin, Tennessee, and was at Nashville, Spanish Fort and Mobile. He served until the close of the war. He was corporal of Company E, during this campaign.
Calvin J. Austin, son of Ransom S. and Agnes (Gregory) Austin, was born in Halifax county, Virginia, October 1st, 1823. When six years old, his parents removed to Pearson county, North Carolina. For the next sixteen years they lived in this and the adjoining county (Caswell), during which time Mr. Austin learned the tailors trade at a town called Milton, in Caswell county, serving an apprenticeship of four years. In 1845 he came to Prairieville, Pike county, Missouri, where he opened a tailors shop under the firm name of Warmic & Austin. Remained there until 1847, when he enlisted in the Mexican war, joining Company E, Third regiment, Missouri cavalry. Was mustered into service at Independence, Missouri, June 7th, 1846. Was in the battle of Vera Cruz, March 16th, 1847. Returning to Prairieville, he resumed his former occupation, remaining in the place one year. In the spring of 1850 he came to Columbia, Missouri, and established himself in business under the firm name of Nutt & Austin. In the autumn of 1853 his partner died, and the spring following he took W. H. Tellery as a partner. In 1856 he sold his interest in the business, and, with John W. Watson, went into the saw and grist mill business, four miles South of Ashland. Followed this business for one year, when they sold out and removed to St. Louis where they rented a small farm of seventy-five acres, and engaged in raising vegetables for the city market. Ran this business one year. Returned to Columbia and, in partnership with Watson, opened a store of fancy groceries. They conducted this business until 1863, when Mr. Austin sold his interest to his partner, and entered the mill of R. H. Smith, where he learned practical milling. He commenced as a work-hand, receiving twenty-five dollars a month, and worked up until he now holds the position of head-miller of the Columbia Milling Company, which has a capacity of one hundred and fifty barrels of flour per day. Mr. Austin was married May 3d, 1861, to Miss Parmelia, daughter of James and Martha (Hulen) Duncan. They have two sons, Frank D. and William A. Mr. Austin is a member of the Masonic and Good Templar orders. He and his wife are both members of the Christian church.