The father of the subject of this sketch, Rev. R. F. Babb, was a prominent Baptist minister of South Carolina, of which State he was a native, born October 26th, 1816. He married Miss Virginia A. Cooper, also a native of the Palmetto State, born October 8th, 1822. In December, 1858, Rev. R. F. Babb, with his wife and six children, removed from Abbeville district, S. C., to Audrain county, Mo. From thence he came to Boone; then back to Audrain, and finally in 1872, located in Columbia. His children consisted of five sons and one daughter, viz: Joseph C. Babb (since deceased), Wm. J. Babb, James F. Babb (since deceased), Henry B. Babb, Jerry G. Babb, and Eugie P. Babb.
The subject of this sketch is the son of John and Ann (Canfield) Baker. He was born in Alfriston, county of Sussex, England, July 26th, 1817, and was reared and educated in England, where he also learned the trade of a shoemaker, serving an apprenticeship under his brother, John Baker. He came to America in 1843, and first settled at Jefferson City, Missouri, removing the year following to Callaway county, where he remained until 1845, when he returned to Jefferson City. His next move was to Franklin county, where he taught school for one year. The next two years were spent at St. Charles county. In the spring of 1848 he moved to Boone county, and settled near Ashland, where he was engaged to teach school. Spent one year in that locality, removing in 1849 to Providence, Boone county, where he worked at his trade. In the spring of 1851 he moved to Columbia and has lived there ever since. In 1850 he was engaged by the American Tract Society, and has been with them ever since. He has also acted as agent for the Boone County Bible Society since 1851, and since that time he has circulated some seven or eight hundred thousand Bibles and religious books. He also preaches when called upon to do so. He is now president and treasurer of the executive board of the Little Bonne Femme Association, which position he has held for three years. Mr. Baker was married June 28th, 1838, at the Baptist Church, in Lewis, county of Sussex, England, to Miss Leath, daughter of Henry and June A. (Hope) Smith. They have had five children, two sons and three daughters: Mary A., Hattie (deceased), William K. (deceased), Elizabeth J. and Samuel H., who is one of the firm of Trimble, Fyfer & Co. He was educated at the Baptist College and State University. In 1866, he commenced clerking for T. B. Gentry, and remained with him for two years. In December, 1868, he went in with J. R. Garth & Co., and was in the grocery business until January, 1880, when he entered the store of Trimble, Fyfer & Co., as a clerk. In 1881 he became a partner in the business. He is a member of the Baptist Church and a Good Templar. He is an excellent business man, and has won the confidence and esteem of the entire community. He has a bright future before him, and deserves no less.
Was born in Norfolk, Virginia, August 1st, 1824. He is the son of Sylvester and Elsey Baker, both natives of Virginia. When he was a child only a few years old they moved to the plain where the city of Nashville now stands. They settled on eighty acres of land where the city now stands. They remained there a short time and then came to St. Louis county and after a few months moved to Montgomery county, MO., and settled on the Loutre and built a mill a quarter of a mile below the plain where Capt. Callaway was killed by the Indians at the junction of Dry Fork and Loutre. In connection with the mill Mr. Baker had a cotton gin and inhaling the lint was the cause of his death, which occurred about five or six years after he settled in Montgomery county. He was judge of the county court at the time of his death. John F. was at that time about nine years old. Mrs. Baker lived about twenty years after the death of her husband; she died at Danville, Montgomery county, about 1850, at the age of eighty-one years. They were both members of the Methodist church. John F. Baker lived in Montgomery county about ten years after the death of his father. In 1845 he came to Columbia and was engaged as a salesman in the employ of Wm. H. Bass. In 1847 and 1848 he was deputy sheriff under Chas. C. Maupin. He was married in 1848 to Miss Sarah Ann Gordon, daughter of George M. Gordon, of Columbia. By this union there were four children -- James M., Bettie, Odon and Sallie. Odon died in infancy, all the others live in Columbia. James M. is a member of the Columbia Milling Co. Bettie is the wife of Wm. T. Anderson. Mrs. Baker died in 1861 and is buried at Columbia. Mr. Baker was in the mercantile business from 1848 until the breaking out of the war. He was sutler of the 9th Missouri cavalry during the war. In 1865 he was elected sheriff of Boone county and held the office two years. He then went to St. Louis and lived there seven years. He sold goods on the road and collected money for several firms throughout the South and West during that time. In 1875 he came back to Columbia, where he has since resided. He was a member and chairman of the board of trustees of Columbia for several years. He is now street commissioner. Mr. Baker is now working up a new enterprise in the way of an establishment for canning fruits, vegetables, etc. He has only put up comparatively small quantities, but has been very successful so far. His intention is to organize a stock company and open the business on a large scale. He uses the process employed by the Oneida community of New York.
Robert Baldridge, the father of William, was a native of Kentucky, but left that state with his parents, when but five years old. They came to St. Charles county in 1795. The father of William was married in 1809 to Miss Margaret Rybalt, a native of Kentucky. Robert Baldridge was a soldier in the war of 1812. He died December 3d, 1865. Mrs. Baldridge died in Boone county, May 16th, 1878. William was the sixth son and eighth child of a family of seven boys and five girls, of whom three sons and two daughters are now living. One sister, Mrs. ONeil, lives in Boone county. William Baldridge was born in St. Charles county, Missouri, February 26th, 1827. He remained on his fathers farm until he was eighteen years old, when he came to Boone county. He farmed for two years, then entered the shop of John Batterton, where he learned the carpenters trade. After three years apprenticeship, he commenced work for himself, and continued the business until 1854. In 1855 he bought a farm on Dry Ridge, which he cultivated until 1865. He sold the place in 1868 and removed to the farm where he now lives, seven miles northwest of Ashland. Mr. Baldridge was married, November 30th, 1854, to Miss Louisa J. Dickey, a native of Kentucky, but a resident of Boone county. They have five sons and four daughters, all of whom, except one son, are living. In the winter of 1862, the subject of this sketch enlisted in the Confederate service, but did not go South until the summer of 1863. He was a member of Capt. Twists company, Dorseys battalion and Hindmans division. On the retreat from the Prairie Grove battle, Mr. Baldridge was captured by the enemy and taken to Springfield and from there to Gratiot street prison, St. Louis. He was afterwards sent to City Point, Virginia, for exchange, which was effected June 7th, 1863. Mr. Baldridge at once reported to his battalion at Arkadelphia. He was detailed to remain at this post with the sick. Having been transferred to Youngs battalion, he was sent by Gen. Shelby to Boone county, for the purpose of recruiting a company. He afterwards joined Mitchells brigade, becoming a member of Searcys battalion of sharp-shooters. He remained with this command until the close of the war. He is a member of the Nashville Baptist church, also of the Nashville grange.
Capt. Ugenus Baldwin was born in Shelby county, Indiana, near Shelbyville, the county seat, February 16th, 1833. When he was four years old his parents removed to Missouri and settled in Boone county, seven miles southeast of Rocheport, where he was raised, remaining with his parents until he reached manhood. In 1854, when in his twenty-first year, he went to Buchanan county, where he engaged in teaching for one year. Returning home he attended Lathrop Academy for two sessions, afterwards resuming his profession, teaching in Moniteau, Boone, Cooper and Howard counties. He enlisted, August 11th, 1861, in the Confederate army, under Capt. James Watson and Col. John B. Clark. He was made second lieutenant and served for six months, part of the time as captain of the company. In 1862 he entered the regular Confederate service. In April of that year he joined Company C,, 6th Infantry, and in September following was made third lieutenant, rising by promotion to the office of first lieutenant, which place he held until the close of the war. He was in many battles, the most important being Lexington, Pea Ridge, Vicksburg, Corinth, Iuka and Port Gibson. His command was captured at Vicksburg and exchanged in the winter of 1863-64, becoming a part of the second and sixth regiments, Missouri Infantry. He held the position of first lieutenant in the re-organization,. He next participated in the battles of New Hope Church, Kenesaw Mountain, and a series of skirmishes from New Hope Church to Atlanta. From Atlanta he was sent by Gen. Hood with one hundred men to operate in the rear of Shermans army, as the latter was marching on that city. At the battle of Franklin he had command of the infirmary corps, and was employed in burying the dead and removing the wounded from the battle field. In December of that year he was made provost marshal of Cockerells brigade, which position he held until his command was captured in Alabama, April 9th, 1865. They were kept prisoners until the close of the war. Mr. Baldwin remained in Mississippi for one year after the close of the war, engaged in teaching. He returned to Boone county in 1868, and went to farming, teaching school of winters. Mr. Baldwin was married in the fall of 1868 to Miss Laura, daughter of William Allen, of Boone county, after which he purchased the farm where he now resides. He farms during the summer and teaches of winters. They have four children: Minnie Lee, Lillie May, Emmett Allen, and Mattie Pearl, all of whom are living with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. Baldwin are members of the Mount Nebo Methodist church. He is also a member of the Rocheport lodge of Ancient Order United Workmen. In 1874 he was appointed a magistrate to fill a vacancy, after which he was elected to the office and has held the position ever since.
Henry Brown Barger, the father of John, was born near Sparta, West Tennessee, June 12, 1803, and came to Boone county, Missouri in 1819. He was married, February 26, 1826, to Phoebe Wilfley. He died January, 1872. The subject of this sketch was born October 2, 1828. Moved from Callaway county, Missouri, to Atchison county in 1858, where he lived for seven years, moving next to Moniteau county where he staid [sic] for two years, then to Boone where he has lived ever since. He was raised on a farm, but learned the carpenters trade. Farming is now his chief occupation. Was married, December 25, 1855, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Philip and Sarah Barger. One child was born of this marriage, Sarah Jane, now dead. Was married the second time, March 28, 1858, to Miss P. A. Roads, daughter of Thomas and Nancy Roads. She died April 23, 1864. Three children were born of this marriage, two of whom are now living, Harriet Ann and John William. Mr. Barger was married the third time, March 1, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth S., daughter of Jesse and Jane (Wilfley) Nichols. They have no children by this marriage. Mr. and Mrs. Barger are both members of the Baptist church at Mt. Pleasant. They are also members of the grange, of which he was master for two years. Mr. Barger is a member of the Masonic lodge at Ashland. He makes a specialty of growing all kinds of fruits. He was first to introduce the English gooseberry, and has paid as high as three dollars for a single pear tree. He has about two hundred apple trees, and four hundred peach trees, and small fruits almost without number. His farm is situated in the northeast quarter section 33, township 46, range 12. He possesses a relic of the last century, a die and bolt for cutting wooden screws, which his father brought from Tennessee in 1819.
John Barnes, the father of Durrett, was a citizen of this county while it was yet the abode of wild Indians. The only means of safety was the rude forts constructed by the early pioneers, in which they took refuge when the Indians were on the war-path. John Barnes came to Howard county in 1808 with his father, Shadrach Barnes. They forted for several years near Old Franklin. John was one of a family of twelve children, eight sons and four daughters, all of whom lived to have families. Durrett Barnes was born in Boone county, September 13, 1822. His opportunities for obtaining an education were very limited. His first teacher was Overton Harris, who taught in a little log cabin with puncheon floor. The boys attended this school clad in the simplest style that could be imagined, their entire wardrobes consisting of but a single garment made from the lint of flax, grown on the farm and manufactured at home by industrious mothers and daughters who knew nothing of the luxuries and vanities of civilization, and cared less. The subject of this sketch was married to Miss Caroline E., daughter of Philip Lyle, a native of New York. They had eight children, six sons and two daughters. Their names are Ellen F., Thomas T., Philip, Filmore, Dora A., Robert D., William H., and John. There are but five of the number living. During the war, Mr. Barnes entered the Confederate service under Colonel Joe Porter, and was taken prisoner and kept at Alton, Illinois, until 1864, when he was released and allowed to return home. His first wife having died, he was married a second time to Lavinia Kanatzar, nee Roberts, in 1869. He is now living on a faroof 240 acres in Centralia township.
The subject of this sketch is the son of Benjamin Barnes, a native of Kentucky, and with one exception, the only citizen of Boone, now living, who came to this county in 1817. He is now eighty-five years old. The mother of Elias Barnes was Lucretia Simms, who came to Missouri when a child. Elias was born June 15, 1839. He was the seventh son and tenth child of his fathers family. He was raised on the farm entered by his father soon after his arrival in Boone county, and was educated at the common schools of his neighborhood. He remained with his father until 1864 when he enlisted in the Confederate army, joining Captain Strodes company, of Searcys regiment, in which he served until the close of the war. He was in Prices raid and took part in all the battles fought on the retreat from Independence to Cane Hill. After the close of the war he was a member of the home guard at Columbia for several months. In the fall of 1865 he went to work on the farm owned by Mrs. K. Fortney. July 29, 1867, he was married to Miss Lou, daughter of Mrs. K. Fortney, who is still living at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. In the winter of 1870 he came to the farm where he now lives, in sections 6 and 7, township 47, range 12. He has always followed the occupation of a farmer. They have one daughter, Cannabel.
Of the many brave, generous, self-sacrificing ministers who came at an early day to the frontier wilderness of Missouri, bringing the glad tidings of salvation to sinful men, none were more loved and respected than Elder James Barnes, who was first in the presence and first in the hearts of the primitive settlers of Boone county. His was a three-fold mission. He was a soldier of the cross, a soldier of war and a teacher. He was neither learned nor brilliant, but for the age in which he lived, and the field in which he toiled, he was well fitted. The fruits of his labor survive him, and will remain through untold ages yet to come. Elder Barnes was born in Madison county, Kentucky, September 18, 1788. He made a profession of religion when but fifteen years old, and was baptized and admitted a member of the Yates Creek church, the denomination being that of the Old School, or Regular Baptist. In the year 1800 Elder Barnes emigrated to Missouri, making Fort Hempstead the objective point of his journey. In this fort, which was situated in Howard county, he was afterwards married. He proved a useful member of the little band gathered for mutual protection, within the four walls of this rude stockade. When assailed he took his rifle and helped defend the fort. When the storm of battle was over, and the yell of the merciless savage no longer called the vigilant pioneers to the ramparts or the port-holes, Elder Barnes turned his attention to other, and more congenial, tasks. He preached and prayed with all the fervor of his ardent, God-fearing nature, for the salvation of those whom a special providence seemed to have placed within reach of his warning voice. Another duty he found both leisure and opportunity for, and he discharged it faithfully. He became their temporal as well as spiritual teacher. His pupils were eager to acquire the rudiments of education, and thankful for this their first and, perhaps, only opportunity of learning to read.
Matthew Barnes, the subject of this sketch, is probably entitled to the distinction of being the oldest natural-born citizen of either Boone or Howard counties. He is the son of Amos and Dorcas (Kincaid) Barnes, and was born in Kincaids Fort, June 5, 1813. He was the first-born of a family of eight children. His father and mother were married in the fort by Rev. John Tharp, a Methodist minister, who had cast his fortunes with this little pioneer band. Mrs. Barnes was the daughter of David Kincaid, after whom the fort was named. Theirs was the first marriage solemnized in the fort. Amos Barnes was a native of Madison county, Kentucky. Mrs. Barnes was also a native of Kentucky. Amos Barnes died in 1834, but his wife survived him for many years, having lived until near the close of the late civil war. Matthew Barnes has spent his life in Boone county. He is now living on a small farm in the northwest corner of Perche township. He was married, December 14, 1834, to Miss Jane, daughter of Benjamin Sanderson. They have nine children, seven of whom are living, one daughter and six sons. All but one are living in Boone.
Thomas C. Barnes was born in Old Franklin, Howard county, Missouri, May 27th, 1819. He is the son of James and Nancy (Colter) Barnes. His father died when he was but three years old and his mother removed to Boone county, settling on a farm near Columbia. He remained at home with his mother until 1835, when in his sixteenth year, he went to Columbia to learn the saddlers trade, serving under James Richardson. He remained in the shop four years and a half. During this time he attended school six months. He afterwards went to school five months at his own expense. In 1840 he began farming as a renter and so continued for five years, when he bought the farm he now occupies, which then contained 160 acres, situated five and one-half miles northwest of Columbia. He has added to this by subsequent purchases, and now owns 240 acres. Mr. Barnes has been twice married. His second wife was Miss Susan Davenport, of Boone county. He has ten children, five by each wife. The children by the first marriage are Margaret U., wife of John Davenport, of Boone county; James S., a farmer in Audrain county; Amanda, wife of Richard F. Farthing, of Audrain county; William H., of Audrain county, and Mary, wife of Edward Farthing, of Audrain. By his second wife: John G., on the homestead; Minnie A., wife of Joseph Bennett, of Boone county; David D., Emma Ellen, and Malissa Jane. Mr. Barnes and wife are members of the Oakland Christian church. Previous to changing his membership, he served as elder in the Friendship Christian church, for nine years. During the war he remained neutral. Mr. Barnes has always taken a deep interest in local school matters and has served on the school board of his district for many years, being much of the time chairman of the committee.
Thomas Harris Barnes is the son of Thomas H. Barnes, of Madison county, Kentucky, where he was born January 8, 1860. His mother was Ann Wingfield, a native of Virginia. The father of Thomas died when his son was but three years old, He had served his native county in the capacity of county court clerk. He was a member of the Christian church. Mrs. Harris removed to Missouri with her family of six children in the fall of 1866, settling three miles west of Centralia, where she remained until her death. Thomas H. prepared himself for teaching in the public schools. He followed his profession until 1882, when he formed a partnership with R. H. Wilhite in the boot and shoe trade. They have a good business, with flattering prospects for the future. Mr. Harris is a member of the Good Templar lodge at Centralia.
was born in the city of St. Louis, Missouri, September 12, 1847, where he continued to reside till he was 18 years old. His parents were Thomas and Lucy (nee Smith) Barron, and they lived for several years in St. Louis, where Peter obtained his education in the public schools. At 12 years old, he went to clerking in a store, remaining for six years in that employment. He then went to Baxter Springs, Kansas, and engaged in the grocery business for two years. After this he located at Crawfordsville, same State, and went into the general merchandise business, and was at the same time authorized by government to trade with the Indians. In 1876, he returned to St. Louis and engaged for two years in the grocery business, at the expiration of which he came to Columbia and went into business in the firm of White, Barron and Co., the history of which firm is given in the sketch of W. N. White. Mr. Barron is a thorough-going business man. He belongs to the Knights of Honor and Knights of Pythias, and is a gentleman highly esteemed in both social and business circles. He was married in 1874, to Miss Susie Gooch, of Shelby county, Missouri, daughter of William Gooch, a prominent citizen of that county. Mr. and Mrs. Barron have four children, named John, Paul, Charles and Annie.
J. & V. Barth, the well-known proprietors of the Star clothing houses of Columbia and Mexico, Missouri, are brothers. They were born in Renish Prussia. Victor, the youngest of the firm, was born January 4th, 1850, and was educated both in German and Hebrew. When fifteen years old he left his native land for America, landing first in Philadelphia. From that city he came to Columbia in 1866. He engaged in clerking for a while, then peddled, selling general merchandise from house to house, travelling on horseback. In the spring of 1868, in company with his brother Joseph, opened the Star clothing house, on Broadway, where he has remained ever since. Victor Barth was married August 23d, 1876, to Miss Nettie Barth, daughter of Moses Barth, of Rocheport. They have one child, Irvin Victor, born November, 1877. Mr. Barth is a Royal Arch Mason, a K. of P., and a member of A.O.U.W. In April, 1880, the Barth Brothers opened a branch store at Mexico, Missouri. Joseph Barth has charge of this establishment. They carry a very large stock of ready-made clothing, and are doing a good business. Victor Barth has in his employment a corps of competent and courteous salesmen, among whom is Mr. Clyde Cunningham, who has been with him for seven years. He has also two of his younger brothers, Solomon and Moses.
The subject of this sketch, one of the leading commercial men of the county, is a foreign born gentleman, a native of Illingen, Germany, born October 24th, 1824. Though Prussian born, he is of pure Hebrew extraction, and is the son of Michael and Sarah Barth. He was reared and educated in his native city and learned the business of cattle dealer and money exchanger, which was his vocation, and continued in the business with his father till he came to America in 1847. Arriving at New York, June 15th, of that year, he proceeded to Philadelphia and supplied himself with a stock of goods which he peddled out to advantage in Berks and Lancaster counties, Pennsylvania. He then came to Missouri and was similarly engaged in Boone and Howard counties, making his headquarters at Fayette. He then became associated with his brother in the dry good business, and they operated as both local and itinerant merchants till 1850. In that year, without severing his connection with his brother, Moses made a trip over the plains to the gold fields of California, where he remained about two years, engaged principally in quartz-mining. He sailed from San Francisco to New Orleans, arriving there in the fall of 1852. There he fell sick with a fever, which prostrated him for some ten weeks. He had the good fortune, however, to find a friend in an old-country acquaintance, to whom Mr. Barth is much indebted for kindness during that long illness among strangers. The friends name was Philip Marx. Returning to Fayette, he found that Alexander Greenabaum [sic] had bought into the firm during his absence. This firm, in 1853, started a branch house at Rocheport, and Moses was placed in charge of it. The Barths wound up their affairs with Greenabaum in 1856, and centered their business at Rocheport. Two years later, they opened a branch store at Columbia, the brother assuming charge. Thus they continued till 1869. In 1863-4 they handled tobacco quite extensively, and also established a shirt factory in Philadelphia. Rocheport was burned by Federals in 1864, and their loss in buildings, merchandise and tobacco was almost a fortune in itself. Besides the firms losses, Moses lost some $7,000 in slave property by their emancipation. They managed to get rebuilt in 1866, when A. Victor and H. W. Myer became associated with the firm, and the company thus continued till disasters overtook them in 1869. These reverses, coupled with their losses by the war, forced them into bankruptcy. Being released thereby from all indebtedness, Mr. B. was enabled to start up again by the assistance of friends, and is now doing an extensive business in the mercantile line, and is a large shipper of grain, wood, and general produce. On March 21, 1855, Mr. Barth married Miss Minnie, daughter of Isaac L. Arnold, of Philadelphia. They have seven children: Joseph (in business with his father); Nettie, wife of Victor Barth, of Columbia; Linda, wife of S. Hanauer, of Bismark, D. T.; Pauline A.; Carrie; Isadore A.; Sadie A. Mr. Barth is a member of Boone lodge No. 121, I.O.O.F. at Rocheport, and is also a demitted Mason.
Was born on a farm in Audrain county, Missouri, February 1, 1848, where he continued to reside with his parents until he was twenty-two years old. He then began learning the blacksmith trade with his father, and after working one year, went to Paris, Monroe county, and there did journey work for nearly a year. He worked for other men as a journeyman for some time and in various places, till he finally opened a shop of his own in Perry, Ralls county, Missouri. In 1877, he sold out there and went to Howard county, and started a shop at Whites store, where he remained one year and again sold out. Opening out another place in the same county, he operated till 1880, when he went to Nevada City, Vernon county, and there carried on blacksmithing till he came to Rocheport, in Boone county, in the fall of 1881. Here he purchased property, but engaged in no special business till 1882, when he was elected city marshal of Rocheport, which position he holds at this writing. Mr. Barton, when a boy, witnessed the famous Centralia massacre, when Anderson and his guerrillas captured and killed a train load of Federals. Before Mr. Barton became marshal, Rocheport had been for some time afflicted with a lawless class of negroes who frequently disturbed the quiet of that staid old place; but has effectually suppressed that class and has them under thorough control. He was the man who arrested the twelve notorious nigs after the Rocheport riots in 1882, eight of whom were sent to the penitentiary. (see history of town of Rocheport). Mr. Barton certainly deserves the thanks of the citizens of that place for the effectual way in which he has restored order. He was married, March 6th, 1870, to Miss Maggie Slough, of Cumberland City, Maryland. Mr. and Mrs. Barton are Baptists, but not connected with any church. He is very abstemious in his habits, not even using tobacco; and he has been a teetotaler all his life, and a member of the I.O.G.T. for eight years. He has held the position of Worthy Templar for several years, and was for one term lodge deputy, under authority of the Grand Lodge of Missouri.
The subject of this sketch was born in Nashville, Tennessee, and died in Boone county, Missouri, in 1865, in the fifty-ninth year of his age. His father, Peter Bass, was a native of Maryland, but for a number of years had lived in Nashville, when he moved with his family to Boone county, Missouri, in 1819, when Eli was quite a boy. He was a man of great energy and decision of character and amassed a very large fortune and at his death left his children large patrimonies. Eli, his son, instead of spending his fortune, as most young men do, who inherit great wealth, added greatly thereto, besides rearing and educating a large family. He was in the true sense of the word a gentleman, one of extensive information and fine practical sense, possessing a magnificent physique. He was perhaps one of the largest owners of real estate in Central Missouri, living in princely style at his elegant country residence, where he dispensed hospitality in the true Southern style. He reared large herds of stock and carried on farming in a remunerative and practical manner. In 1861 he was elected to the Constitutional Convention to form a new Constitution for the State. He subscribed $3,000 to procure the location of the State University at Columbia, and was one of the first curators. His reputation for rectitude and reliability was of the highest order. He was for years a worthy and consistent member of the Baptist church. His children are among the most enterprising and intelligent citizens of Boone county, one son, J.L., representing the county in the General Assembly some years since, and no name has been held in higher esteem in Boone county than that of Bass. Elis elder brother, John M., was a lawyer of distinction in St. Louis, a compeer of Bates, Gamble, Geyer and Lucas, and afterwards was, for twenty-five years, president of the Union Bank of Tennessee. Eli Bass married Miss Margaret, daughter of Capt. Wm. Johnson, of Boone county, who survives him. She is a noble, highly cultivated Christian lady, beloved by all who know her.
The subject of this biographical sketch is the son of George P. and Susan (Wiseman) Bass. He was born on the old Wiseman place, January 2, 1830. He is one of a family of eleven children -- nine sons and two daughters -- of whom five sons and two daughters are now living. When a small boy his parents removed from the old home, in the vicinity of Ashland, to a farm in Howard county, where Lawrence lived and labored until seventeen years of age. The next three years were spent in learning the saddlery business, but not liking the trade, he has never followed it. In the spring of 1850 Mr. Bass started for California by the overland route, reaching his destination in the month of July following. He remained in California and Nevada until 1875, making several business trips East, at one time bringing with him from Colorado a herd of 2,000 cattle. While in the West, he was actively engaged in freighting, mining, and trading in stock. In the spring of 1876 he moved to the A. E. Ellis farm, where he now resides. He is a member of the firm of Bass, Johnston, Brooks & Harris, Ashland. The firm is known as the Trade Centre. They have a branch store at Guthrie, in Callaway county. Mr. Bass is also a member of the Ashland Mill Company; also a stockholder in the Ashland Bank, and one of the directors. He was one of the originators of the Boone county stock sales. He has been an extensive sheep-raiser, having large flocks in Texas. His experience in business is of wider range perhaps than that of any other capitalist or trader in his locality. Mr. Bass was married November 17, 1870, to Miss Sallie Ellis, only daughter of A. E. Ellis, of Boone county. They have had three children -- two sons and one daughter -- of whom only one, the youngest son, is living. Mr. Bass has had many adventures during his extensive travels, the most thrilling of which perhaps was a shipwreck off the coast of British Columbia in 1858. The vessel was a total wreck. Mr. Bass and several others escaped in an open boat. He is an affable gentleman, kind and courteous in his manners, and is justly honored and esteemed by all who know him.
The subject of this sketch is a son of Eli E. and Margaret M. (Johnson) Bass, and was born January 18th, 1836, in Boone county on what is now known as the Bass homestead. He received his education at the State University and chose farming and stock raising as his occupation. He deals largely in shorthorn cattle and mules, shipping many mules to Mississippi and Louisiana. He was the originator of the Ashland stock sales, which take place the first Saturday in every month, sales running from $1,750 to $6,000. He has been a director of the Boone county agricultural and mechanical association for the past ten years, and during the years 1880 and 1881 he was its president. He is a member of the Ancient Order of United Workmen. He was married September 11th, 1858, to Miss Irene, daughter of Wm. and Mary (Trueman) Hickman. By this union they have eight children, seven boys and one girl, all living. In May 1882, he moved into Columbia to have better educational facilities for his children. His eldest son, Everett E., will graduate from the University in 1883. He has a fine residence in a pleasant location on Broadway, east end. Mr. Bass is one of Boones most thrifty, enterprising business men, and takes an interest in whatever will advance her material welfare.
Captain Monroe Bateman is a native of Fleming county, Kentucky, where he was born February 13, 1831. Is the son of Newton and Margaret Bateman. He was educated in Mason county, Kentucky. In 1852 Mr. Bateman went to Stockton, California, where he remained five years. Returning to Mason county, he engaged in the mercantile business at Minerva until 1857. At the breaking out of the war Captain Bateman raised a company of cavalry for the Union army. His command was mustered in as company L, 2d Kentucky cavalry. At one time his company served as escort to General Sherman. He was captured by the enemy and was a prisoner until paroled, October 5, 1863. In the latter part of the war he went to Cincinnati where he engaged in the mercantile business with Ellis, McAlpin & CO. He did not remain in Cincinnati but one year, coming to Boone county, Missouri in 1864. He was married, May 5, 1864 to Miss Mary A., daughter of Jesse and Mary Boulton. Their union has been blessed with eight children, four of whom are dead. The deceased children were Clarence M., born May 4, 1865, died May 28, 1870; Levi M., born December 2, 1867, died June 13, 1870; Ruth A., born August 8, 1875, died January 3, 1876, and an infant son, born and died May 3, 1871. The living children are Mary L., born August 15, 1869; Jesse C., born December 4, 1872; Clinton C., born July 3, 1877, and Clark R., born November, 1879. Mr. Bateman is a member of the Masonic lodge at Columbia, also a member of the Columbia Christian church. Mrs. Bateman is a member of the same church. Mr. Bateman is president of the Blackfoot and Columbia rock road, which position he has held for eight years. He is largely interested in agriculture. His farm of 217 acres is well improved. It is an excellent stock farm, the land being well set in bluegrass. It is situated three miles north of the court-house. He also owns 120 acres of land in section 18, township 49. He has been president, vice-president and director of the Boone County Agricultural and Mechanical Association, being for many years one of the most active and energetic workers in this corporation.
George W. Batterton, Democratic nominee for the legislature, was born in Boone County, about seven miles north of Columbia, December 9, 1837, and grew to manhood on his fathers farm. His grandfather, Moses Batterton, emigrated from Kentucky to Missouri about the year 1820, and settled on Callahams creek, about seven miles west of Columbia. His father, Lemuel B. Batterton, was born in 1801, and learned the cabinet-makers trade in Kentucky. He came with his father to Boone County in 1820. About four years after his marriage he bought the place where George W. was born, upon which he lived and died, his death occurring in 1869. He married Mary Lynch, a native of Kentucky. Her ancestors came from near Lynchburg, Virginia, which city was named after a member of her family. Mr. and Mrs. Batterton raised eight sons and two daughters to manhood and womanhood. The subject of this sketch left home when about eighteen years of age and labored for wages which he spent in educating himself. When about twenty years of age he commenced teaching in the public schools and continued in this business, with slight intervals, for about six years. Was a soldier in the Confederate army for about nine months. Belonged to McKinneys company, known as the Blackfoot Rangers. Was in the battle of Wilson Creek, Lexington, and Drywood. Went to Nebraska in 1864 where he worked on a farm and taught school until the close of the war. Came back in 1866 and went to farming in Audrain county. After raising one crop he removed to the Two-mile Prairie, in Boone county, where he farmed, taught school and bought and shipped stock until 1870. He then removed to Vernon county, Missouri, where he farmed for eighteen months. Sold his farm in 1872 and removed to Montana where he followed mining until 1876, when he returned to Audrain county and resumed farming which he has followed ever since. His farm is situated one-half mile from Sturgeon in Audrain county. Was elected a justice of the peace in 1878 and has held the office ever since. He is an earnest, conscientious Democrat, having never voted any other ticket. His first vote was for John C. Breckenridge for president. Mr. Batterton was first married in 1863 to Sophia E., daughter of Robert and Sophia (Barnes) Gillaspie. First wife died January 26, 1872. There were no children by this marriage. Was married, April 8, 1873, to Lizzie, daughter of Judge B. P. Ritchie. They have three children living and two dead. The living are Annie Sue, James Ritchie and Mary Lula. First wife was a member of the Christian church. Mr. Batterton is a member of the A.O.U.W. He is of Irish, German and French origin.
p. 838 - WM. W. BATTERTON.
William Wallace Batterton was born in Boone county, August 11th, 1833. He is the son of Lemuel and Mary (Lynch) Batterton, and his father was one of the first settlers of Boone county, coming here from Kentucky in 1820. Mr. Batterton received his education in the common schools of Boone county and at the University. After leaving school he followed teaching for about seven years, farming at intervals. In 1859 Mr. Batterton was elected School Commissioner, being the first elected to that office in this county. He was removed from office in 1861 because of his refusal to take the Gamble oath. In 1867 he was again elected school commissioner, and served one term. In the fall of 1874, he was elected county clerk of Boone county; he was re-elected in 1878. His record while in office is an excellent one, and one of which he may well be proud.
The old pioneer whose nae position he quit when he took his present chair in the Missouri University. As a linguist, Prof. Blackwell is a study to his friends, and even his intimates scarcely comprehend him, so great is his gift of acquiring language. He has spoken German from childhood, and also speaks fluently French, Spanish and Italian, besides being well versed in a number of other languages. On one occasion, in a paper read before the American Philological Association at Cleveland, Ohio, he made quotations from upwards of twenty different languages. He took a two-years course of Chinese from a native master, and has also studied the Egyptian and Assyrian, and is constantly adding to his linguistic stock by beginning the study of new ones, his latest being Arabic, which he began September 11th, 1882. His method of acquiring language is a modification (his own) of what is known as the Hamiltonian system. He has a Bible in which the text is Hebrew, with a translation into Chaldee, and commentaries in Rabbinic. Prof. Blackwell was married July 8, 1870, to Miss Mary E., daughter of Milton Smith, of Ghent, Kentucky. She was a native of that State, and a niece of ex-Gov. Henry S, Lane, an U.S. Senator from Indiana. She died September 6, 1881, having borne five children, two only of whom -- Laura Cherry and Paul Preston -- are living. Prof. B. is a member of the Presbyterian church, and was an elder therein while at Anchorage, Kentucky,. He is the author of quite a number of articles on language and literature, and has written several small books and pamphlets, including Views on the Study of Language, and Some Observations on the Hebrew Grammar of Dr. Alexander Meyrowitz. Since the days of the Learned Blacksmith, few men have developed more genius in, and love for, the study of language than the subject of this sketch; and perhaps when he has attained the age at which Elihu Burritt died, he may be the peer even of that greatest of the great masters of languages.
Mr. Blakemore, like many of our substantial citizens, is a native of Kentucky. It has been said that Virginia is the mother of Kentucky. With the same propriety it may be said that Kentucky is the mother of Missouri. Mr. Blakemore was born in Shelby county, January 8th, 1828. His father was a Kentuckian, his grandfather a native of Virginia. His mother was a daughter of Sanford Payne, of Kentucky. Mr. Blakemore was educated in the common schools of his native State and assumed the active duties of life at an early age. His father died when he was but seven years old, and being the second son of a family of six children, five sons and one daughter, he had, even in boyhood, many of the cares and responsibilities of manhood resting upon him. He commenced active business at the age of fourteen. From clerking in a store he soon passed to the more active duties of a stock trader, buying in Kentucky and selling in Cincinnati. He followed this business very successfully for fifteen years. In 1863, he removed to Boone county, Missouri, having purchased part of the Newton Short farm and the Harris interest in the town of Harrisburg. Mr. Blakemore was married November 15th, 1864, to Miss Ruth Young, daughter of David Young, of Howard county, Missouri. Mrs. Blakemore was born January 27th, 1836. Her grandfather was Major Edward Young, of Bone county. By this union are five children, three daughters and two sons, all of whom are now living. Their names are: Cordelia A., Robert L., James N., Nora and Edna. Mr. Blakemore was previously married in Kentucky to Miss Marion Oldham, daughter of Wm. Oldham, of Madison county. There was one child, John, by this marriage. He is now married and is living in Howard county, Missouri. His wifes maiden name was Stacia Gillum, daughter of Nathan Gillum. In 1880 Thomas Blakemore removed to his property in Harrisburg, but did not remain in business there but eighteen months. He is now on his farm looking after his fine stock. He is largely interested in the Glenco stock of horses, noted for their speed and other excellent qualities. Mr. Blakemore and his family are members of the Christian church at Harrisburg, and are highly honored and respected for their liberal support of all public enterprises calculated to benefit the community in which they reside.
The Blakemores are of English origin. From England to Virginia, from Virginia to Kentucky, and thence westward. William Edward Blakemore is a grandson of James Blakemore, of Virginia, and a son of Wm. G. Blakemore, also a native of that State. He was born in Clark, county, Kentucky, March 12th, 1837. He lived on the farm until he was sixteen years old, then entered a store, remaining in this business for six years. Quitting the store at the age of twenty-two, he embarked in the live stock trade which he followed for nine years. In 1853 he again entered the mercantile business, but once more abandoned the store to engage in the stock trade, this time dealing in mules and horses for the Southern market. He came to Missouri in November, 1865, and settled on the old Wiggam farm, in the vicinity of Harrisburg, where he remained till 1875. In 1880, he came to Harrisburg and engaged in the mercantile business with John W. Hersman. Mr. Blakemore was married to Miss Nancy J. Doyle, daughter of Dennis Doyle. By this marriage they have had eight children, six sons and two daughters, one of whom died in infancy. Their names are: Mary V., George W., Dennis A., Richard E., Sarah E., Claudius P., Thomas C., and Shelton L. They are members of the Christian Church at Harrisburg.
Elijah Boothe is the son of Elijah and Sarah (Woods) Boothe, and was born about 1839, near Lexington, Kentucky. His parents came to Missouri and settled near Harrisburg, Boone county, Missouri, when Elijah was about one year old. His mother died in 1847, and his father in 1849. When Elijah was twelve or thirteen years of age he started with two mules, one to ride and one for a pack animal, for California, and with the exception of a few days made the trip alone. He had two brothers there and went out in search of them. He worked in the mines and freighted goods from Los Angeles to Texas. He was poisoned while working in the mines by striking a spring containing corrosive sublimate. His hair came out three times, and the last time it grew it was perfectly white. He appears to be at least sixty years of age, but is young yet and vigorous. When out in the diggings he says he only saw a white man once a year, during his long stay in the West. He took passage on a vessel for some island belonging to some English colonists, and prospected for about six months. Then he went to Australia and was there for about four months, being gone, in all, a little over a year. He states that when he first reached Sacramento he was so small that he could not procure work, and almost starved to death. At last, after a four years search, he found his brothers. He came home about five years ago, and stopped a short time near Rocheport. His oldest brother, David H. Boothe, was a farmer in the Western part of Boone county, and died recently. One brother, William, is living in Columbia. Elijah came back to Missouri over the overland stage route with five horses. He has had a world of ups and downs in life, and his descriptions of places and things he has seen is truly wonderful. He has a chair factory and blacksmith shop on the southwest quarter of section 20, township 45 and range __, established in 1879. He makes good, substantial chairs, which he sells to all the neighboring towns. He is an Odd Fellow, but is not at present connected with any lodge. He was a charter member of five lodges in California.
James M. Boswell, a well known and popular business man of Columbia, was born in Bedford county, Virginia, February 14th, 1842. He is the son of William H. H. and Elizabeth A. (Compton) Boswell. He attended school at Liberty, Virginia, commencing in 1854 and ending in 1857. He came to Boone county, Missouri, in the fall of 1858, and attended school at New Prospect Academy until the breaking out of the war, in 1861. He enlisted in Company B, of Callaway county, commanded by Maj. J. M. Robinson, being a portion of the elder Gen. John B. Clarks regiment. [Confederate service] Was in the battles of Wilson Creek, Drywood, Lexington, and Moores Mill. Went to Hams Prairie, Callaway county, Missouri, and sold goods for a short time, but owing to the excitement and troubles growing out of the war, had to quit the business. He came to Columbia, and was engaged to teach the public schools. He followed teaching for fifteen months, when he was employed as a salesman in the store of Kirkbride and Co., Columbia, Mo. Stayed with this firm until 1868, when he went in business with James I. Hickman, under the firm name of Hickman and Boswell, dealers in family groceries. They sold out their business in 1870 to Allen, Maupin & Co. Was elected constable of Columbia township, and served for two years and four months. After the expiration of his term as constable, he went into the family grocery business under the firm name of Smith & Boswell. He sold out this business in 1874, and engaged as salesman with Loeb, Meyer & Co., dry goods and clothing. He stayed with this firm for four years. Quitting their store, he engaged once more in the family grocery business, this time by himself. Sold out the business, August 15th, 1881, to Hume & Brothers. Mr. Boswell owns considerable real estate in Columbia, also an excellent farm of sixty acres. He is a member of the Masonic order, also of the United Workmen. He was married, November 14th, 1872, to Miss Sarah J., daughter of Edward and Kissih (Fortney) Easley. They have two sons and two daughters: Annie W., William E., Gertrude L., and James M. Mr. and Mrs. Boswell are both members of the Christian church. He has been an auctioneer for years, and has sold a great deal of property.
Judge Jesse Augustus Boulton is the son of Brice and Eliza (Pepper) Boulton. He was born in Macon county, Kentucky, May 19, 1817, and came to this county in the fall of 1840. He was educated at Bacon College, Georgetown, Kentucky, of which David S. Burnett was president. After completing his education, he taught school in Bracken county, Kentucky, afterwards at Woodlawn Seminary. He was married, October 17, 1839, to Miss Mary H., daughter of Levi Todd and Mary (Emison) Smith. By this marriage they had two children, one son and one daughter. The son, David R., is now in Maysville, California. Mrs. Boulton, died February 26, 1846, and was buried on the farm formerly owned by her father, now the property of Capt. Monroe Bateman. Judge Boulton returned to Kentucky in the spring of 1847, and was married soon after to Miss Clara, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Payne (Loyd) Perine. By this union they have had five sons and one daughter. Jesse L. was born _____ and died September 8, 1854. Robert Perine was born June 29th, 1854. He is now professor of English literature at the Christian University at Canton, Missouri, which position he has occupied for several years. Lillie Francis was born July 25, 1857; Walter E., April 6, 1861; Payne A., August 18, 1864, and John W., August 21, 1867. Judge Boulton was employed to teach the public school at Columbia in 1840, and was actively engaged in this business for several years. From 1847 to 1850 he taught at Woodlawn Seminary, Kentucky, as previously stated in this biography. He served two terms as judge of the Boone county court, first term by appointment from Gov. Hardin in 1875. The year following he was elected to the same office. Judge Boulton has followed teaching and farming all his life. He was president of the Boone county grange for two years and has always been an active, zealous member of that organization. He is an official member of the Christian church, and his wife has been a communicant of that church for forty years. Since 1850, Judge Boulton has followed farming exclusively. He has a fine farm of 475 acres three and one-half miles northeast of Columbia, all of which is inclosed [sic]. One-half the land is in grass, the remainder he devotes to the various crops usually grown on the farm. Mr. Boulton has a remarkable memory. He recollects every incident connected with his life from earliest childhood, and can name the date of each occurrence correctly. Rice Boulton, the father of Jesse, was born in Charlotte county, Virginia, December 23, 1787, and emigrated to Kentucky in 1813. The year following he was married to Eliza Pepper, of Mason county, Kentucky, a professional school teacher. The elder Boulton was for years the sheriff of Mason county. Came to Boone county, Missouri, March 26, 1853, and lived with his son Jesse until his death, which occurred March 26, 1866. He was a member of the Christian church, and his wife, who is still living -- having reached her eighty-fourth year -- is also a member of the same church, as has been for seventy years.
The subject of this sketch is one among the oldest citizens of Boone county. He is a native of Amherst county, Virginia, where he was born August 7th, 1797. He was educated in the public schools of his native county. In 1828, at the age of thirty-one, he left Virginia, going to what is now known as West Virginia, where he stayed four years. In 1832 he came to Missouri, stopping for a while in Callaway county. He next came to Boone county, and bought a farm in the forks of Cedar, where he lived from 1833 to 1855, when he built the house now occupied by P. H. Robnett, and in which he lived till 1866. He has followed farming all his life, and his labors have ever proved successful. He has by industry, prudence, and economy accumulated a large amount of property. When quite a young man he took charge of his fathers plantation, one among the largest and most productive in the country. He had control of this property for ten years, from 1818 to 1828. He was married, November 11th, 1819, to Miss Margaret, daughter of James and Mildred (Monday) Davis. Eight children were born of this marriage, three sons and five daughters, four of whom -- two of each sex -- are now living. Martha A., Parmelia J. and Sallie are dead. Charles L. died in Prices army. The surviving members of the family are: Mildred, who first married Abraham Gillaspie, of Kentucky, and being left a widow, afterwards married Wiley Roy, of Carroll county, Missouri. James D., who married Martha McAllister, of Columbia; and Mary F., widow of the late J. L. Matthews, of Columbia, and Roderick, now of Texas. Mr. Bowlings father was born in St. Marys county, Maryland, in 1752, and died in Amherst county, Virginia, in 1832. He was the father of eight children, three sons and five daughters. His wife was Laticia Gillaspie. She died in 1850, and is buried in Amherst county, Virginia.
The Boyce family are of Irish descent. The paternal grandfather, Robert, was a native of Ireland. The subject of this sketch is the son of Willis p. Boyce and was born in Warren county, Kentucky, June 15, 1819. James was brought to Missouri when but three months old. He was the youngest of seven children, four sons and three daughters. Willis Boyce was a member of the first grand jury ever empanelled in Boone county. The court was held under a tree. June 20, 1839, Mr. Boyce was married to Eliza Orear, daughter of E. C. Orear, a native of Fleming county, Kentucky. Eleven children were born of this union, four sons and seven daughters, ten of whom are living at this writing. Their names are Margaret J., Annie L., Rose, Elizabeth, Joseph E., Laura A., Benella, Willis L., Jerrie and George H. Margaret is the wife of George W. March. They have had five children. Rose married Wallace Maxwell. Joseph E. married Katie Keith. The father of Mr. Boyce entered land as early as 1819. The place he entered, 170 acres, has changed owners some six or seven times, finally passing into the hands of Mr. James Boyce, who is in possession at this writing. He is a member of the Baptist church, and has been a communicant for forty years. Has followed farming for thirty years. In early manhood was a blacksmith, which trade he followed for eight years. During the excitement growing out of the discovery of gold in California, Mr. Boyce crossed the plains, but did not remain in the mines but a few months. He returned to Boone county in 1850, and has remained quietly on his farm ever since. Mrs. James Boyce is of French origin. She was one of a family of four children. Her sister, Annie T., married Harland Sexton, of Boone county. Her brother, J. B. Orear, is in business at Hubbard City, Texas. Another brother, Benjamin, went to California in 1849. He became a prominent citizen of that State, serving several terms in the legislature. He was largely interested in mining, and while looking after his interests in New Mexico, in 1873, was taken ill and died. He had won considerable distinction in public life, and his death was universally deplored by all who knew him.
Daniel Alexander Bradford is the son of Austin Bradford, a native of Virginia, who came to Boone county in 1836, and to the farm upon which Alexander now lives in 1837. His mother was Lavinia Hume, also a native of Virginia. The elder Bradford was married in Kentucky. The subject of this sketch was born on the farm upon which he now resides, April 21st, 1842. He is the third son and seventh child of a family of three boys and five girls, all of whom are living. With the exception of a few years he has spent his life on the old home place. He was educated at Bonne Femme Academy and at the State University. He is a farmer, and is largely interested in the breeding of thoroughbred cattle. He was married in Boone county, November 24th, 1863, to Miss Harriet E., daughter of Rollin Lyman. They have had two sons and four daughters, all living except one daughter. Mr. Bradford is a member of the Columbia lodge of I.O.O.F.
George Austin Bradford is the son of Austin and Levina Bradford, of Scott county, Kentucky, in which State he was born June 6, 1830. He came to Boone county in 1836, and was educated at the Bonne Femme Academy, six miles southeast of Columbia. Was married January 28, 1858, to Miss Annie, daughter of Joel and Dorcas T. Smith, of Randolph county, Missouri. Mr. Bradford was raised on the farm and has followed farming all his life. He owns twelve hundred and fifty acres of land. A body of four hundred acres constitutes the tract upon which he lives. This farm is well located and finely improved. He has a fine frame residence situated three miles southeast of Columbia, on the Columbia and Ashland gravel road. Mr. Bradford is largely engaged in stock-raising and has some fine thoroughbred Durham cattle. He is a member of the Christian church at Olivet, on the Two-Mile Prairie, and has been a member of this congregation for fifteen years.
James Bradley was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, October 1, 1810. His father, Terry, was the son of Leonard Bradley, a revolutionary soldier. His great grandfather, on the mothers side, was Samuel Boone, one of the noted Boone family, famous in the early history of Kentucky. Mr. Bradley came to Missouri in 1824, and settled in the neighborhood of Huntsville, but prior to the location of that city. Leaving this settlement, he went to Fayette, Howard county, where he remained twenty years. From Fayette he removed to Benton county, Missouri, where he remained three years, returning to Howard county, and from thence to Boone county in 1853, where he has permanently resided. Mr. Bradley was married to Zerelda Gibson, daughter of Martin Gibson, of Howard county, Missouri. By this union they have been blessed with eight children, seven of whom are living. Mr. Bradley is a carpenter and cabinet maker, which occupation he has followed all his life. He has been a member of the Baptist church for forty years. His family are also members of the same denomination. Mr. Bradley has several daughters who rank very highly as teachers. Miss Bettie, of the Pike County Institute, has achieved a fine reputation in the common schools of that county. Mr. James W. Bradley, third son of the elder Bradley, was born July 4, 1855, and was educated partly in Howard county, finishing his studies at the State University. In 1874 he went to Texas, but did not remain there but one year. Returning to Boone county, he married Miss Eva A. Fenton, daughter of Joshua Fenton. In 1880 he commenced the culture of honey on a large scale. He bought the large apiary owned by Dr. G. S. Morse, of Columbia, which he added to his own collection. Last year (1881) was one of the hardest seasons on bees, yet the yield of Mr. Bradleys apiary was 1,800 pounds. The year previous the yield was 2,500 pounds. He is thoroughly posted in the business, is never troubled with moth and seldom loses a colony, notwithstanding others, less skilled in the business, frequently lose all their stock in one season. This illustrates the difference between a professional and a novice. Mr. Bradley is thoroughly read on the subject, and takes great pride in the business.
Joshua H. Brady, son of William and Catherine Brady, was born in Washington county, Maryland, August 5th, 1837. He was educated at a neighboring town called Hancock, and learned the millers trade of his father, serving an apprenticeship of eight years. In 1861 he went to work for Samuel Bowles, of Washington county, Maryland, and stayed with him two years. He was next employed by William H. Eads, of Georgetown, District of Columbia, whose mill had a capacity of one hundred and fifty barrels a day. He stayed with Eads a year and a half. In 1864 he was engaged to run a mill in Morgan county, Virginia, at a point called Sir Johns Run. Remained in this position for four years, then went to Sleepy Creek, same county, where he stayed six months, and from there to Frederick county, Maryland, where he entered the Red Spring Mills owned by J. M. Bushy, where he remained two years. The mill was sold to E. Zimmerman and Mr. Brady remained with him seven years. He then rented the mill at Middletown Valley, in Frederick county, Maryland, and remained in charge of this mill until the autumn of 1881, when he came to Columbia, Missouri, July 10th, 1882, and went to work for the Columbia Milling Company. He is a practical miller, thoroughly acquainted with every department of the business. In 1864 he was drafted into the Federal army, but by paying three hundred dollars he was excused from serving. He was married, August 1st, 1865, to Hester Ann Wharton, daughter of Samuel Wharton, of Sir Johns Run, West Virginia. They have six children, three of each sex: Aquila C., born February 19th, 1869; Katie R., born August 16th, 1871; George William, born March 30th, 1873; Annie O., born June 11th, 1875; Charles J., born November 25th, 1877; Hester M., born July 4th, 1880. They are all living.
Michael Bright is the son of Michael and Jane (McClung) Bright, and was born in Callaway county, Missouri, May 20th, 1848. His father was from Greenbrier county, West Virginia, and emigrated to Missouri in 1834. The grandfather of our subject was also Michael Bright, and his wife was Sarah Price, all Virginians. The father of Michael, our subject, settled in Callaway county, Missouri, near Stephens store, and lived upon the farm until his death, in 1881. He is buried at Cedar church, in Callaway county. The present Michael was reared upon the farm and lived with his parents until he was twenty-four years old, when he went to Wyoming Territory, and stayed two years. He was married on the 28th of May, 1874, to Miss Adelia A., daughter of John C. and Elizabeth McKinney, of Boone county. Mrs. Brights father is dead, but her mother is yet living. Her father died in 1875, and is buried at Walnut Grove church. Mr. and Mrs. Bright lived one year after their marriage in Callaway county, and then sold their farm and bought and improved the place here in Boone where they are now living. The farm contains 240 acres, well improved. The house is upon the southwest quarter of section 20, township 49, range 1. Mr. Bright handles stock considerably, mostly cattle. His wife is a member of the Baptist church at Prairie Grove. They have one son, John McKinney Bright.
Berrywick Johnson Brown is a native of Boone county. He is the son, and only surviving child of James and Sarah Ann (Davis) Brown, who were among the early settlers of Boone county. Berrywick was born four and one-half miles northwest of Columbia, November 3, 1848. He was educated at the district schools, completing his studies at the Missouri State University. Was married November 29, 1877, to Miss Lula, daughter of Philip and George Ann (Nichols) Prather. By this marriage they have had two sons. Mr. Brown was raised on the farm, and has followed agriculture exclusively until recently, when he added the business of brick-making, forming for this purpose a partnership under the firm name of Brown & Berry. This is the largest firm of the kind ever established in Columbia. They employ over twenty hands. They have had all the modern machinery for making pressed brick, such as our people were formerly compelled to ship from a distance. They find ready sale for all their brick. Though the enterprise is yet in its infancy, Messrs. Brown & Berry have every reason to feel encouraged, and the people of Columbia are fortunate in thus securing good material for the many excellent buildings that are being added to the town every year. Mr. Brown has a farm of 500 acres, situated two miles north of Columbia, on the Columbia and Blackfoot rock road. He is a member of the Columbia lodge of K. of P. His wife is a member of the Christian church. James Brown, the father of B. J., was born July 27, 1798, and came to Boone county in 1832, emigrating from Madison county, Kentucky. He was married March 5, 1840, to Sarah A. Davis, of Scott county, Kentucky. By this union they had seven children, six sons and one daughter, Berrywick being the fifth child born of this marriage. He is the only child now living. James Brown, the father of Berrywick, died in 1865, and was buried on the farm now owned by his son. Mrs. Brown died July 18, 1873, aged fifty-nine years. She was buried by the side of her husband. The elder Brown was banished from Missouri in 1862, on account of his Southern proclivities. He spent most of his exile at Greencastle, Indiana.
George E. Brown, blacksmith and farmer, was born near Front Royal, Warren county, Virginia, February 10, 1830. His father being a blacksmith, he was brought up to that trade. He commenced work in the shop when he was but ten years old. He remained with his father until 1855, when he was twenty-five years old. On leaving home he established a shop of his own at a place called Happy Creek, one mile south of Front Royal. Here he worked at his trade until 1859, when he sold out and came to Missouri. He arrived in Boone county in November, and established his present place of business on the Rocheport and Sturgeon road, four and one-half miles northeast of Rocheport. In 1875 he added farming to his business of blacksmithing, and has labored at both occupations ever since. He has 100 acres of land well adapted to stock raising. He has made farming and the handling of stock quite profitable. Mr. Brown was married January 3, 1856, to Miss Mary Shipe, of Warren county, Virginia. They have eight living children. John William and Charles Edward work in their fathers shop. Robert Lee, Carrie Ella, Hattie, Henry, Rebecca and Moses are with their parents. Mrs. Brown is a member of the Methodist church at Locust Grove. In 1864, Mr. Brown enlisted in the Confederate army, becoming a member of Capt. Davenports company, Shelbys cavalry. He remained in the army until the close of the war. He is a member of the Rocheport lodge, No. 147, Independent Order of Good Templars.
Henry J. Brown, farmer and stock raiser, was born near Front Royal, Warren county, Virginia, October 7, 1845, where he lived with his parents until he was seventeen years old, when he entered the Confederate army as a private in Company D, Forty-ninth Virginia infantry, in which he served until the close of the war. He was in many engagements, the most important being Manassas Junction, Seven Pines, Winchester, Sharpsburg, and the battles in the Shenandoah Valley under Stonewall Jackson; also Chancellorsville where Jackson was killed. He was wounded four times. His brigade finally surrendered at Appomatox Court House in 1865, when he returned to the old home. He was so disabled by his wounds that he was compelled to go on crutches until 1868, when he began to work as a farm hand. In 1873 he came to Missouri, and stopped in Boone county. For the first eight months he worked on the farm of John W. Harris; then rented a farm of Fielding W. Smith, which he rented on shares for two seasons. In August, 1876, he purchased the farm upon which he is now living, situated near Walnut Grove church, containing 168 acres. He was married October 7, 1869, to Miss Mary Bell, of Warren county Virginia. They have three children: Henry Esron, born in Virginia, August 4, 1870; Mary F., born in Virginia, June 8, 1872; and David Elias, born in Boone county, March 4, 1874.
Frank E. Bruton, salesman for Rucker & Turner, Sturgeon, Mo., is the son of Dr. F.J. and Nettie B. (Fenwick) Bruton. He was born and raised in Boone county, Missouri. His father and mother are natives of Kentucky. Mr. Bruton commenced active business at the early age of fourteen, and has continued without intermission ever since. He is at this writing engaged as a salesman in the store of Messrs. Rucker & Turner, and has given eminent satisfaction to his employers and won the esteem and confidence of all his patrons. He was married April 19, 1882, to Ida, daughter of Joseph B. Harris. He is a member of the Christian church, also of the Masonic and Knights of Honor lodges.
The venerable subject of this sketch is a native of Bryans Station, Kentucky, and was brought by his widowed mother from that State to Missouri in the fall of 1827, and has lived in Boone county most of his life. In early times he attended school at the now defunct, but then famous Bonne Femme Academy. In 1832 he was sent by Capt. Hickman on a business trip to Northwest Missouri, on which he was gone six months. When not engaged in handling stock, Major Bryan worked on the farm, and in his time has done much of that kind of invigorating labor. His title was acquired during the Mormon war, he being a Major in Col. Gilmores regiment in the campaign against the Latter-day Saints. In 1848 Major Bryan was clerk in Lamme & Bryans store at Nashville. He also did business for John H. Bryan & Co,s paper-mill, distillery and port packing establishments throughout the Southern States. He became captain of the steamer Warsaw in 41, and in 47 was principal clerk in D.S. Lammes commission house, on Water street, St. Louis. He became agent for the United States bank in 1849, attending to the affairs of that concern in three States, being constantly immersed in a sea of business for twenty years, during which he obtained one judgment for the bank of $369,000, The manuscript of the concern was sold to the paper-mill when its affairs were wound up, and weighted eighty-four tons. He has spent five winters on his land in Dallas, Texas. At this writing he resides on the Peter Bass mill tract, in Cedar township. He is quite robust in health, and even yet can do any kind of hard labor. During the civil war, he was a Washington Union man, but never a Lincoln man. Major Bryan was never married. He has never asked an office of the people, never engaged in a lawsuit of his own, and all through his useful and eventful life never asked anything but even-handed justice from any man, nor would he ever have less. He has done a great deal of business for others, and his record is one of which he is not ashamed, but on the contrary, is as justly proud as are his many friends. (Bryan portrait f530)
President of Christian Female College, Columbia, is a native of Jessamine county, Kentucky, born April 2d, 1841. His parents, Dr. John and Martha Ann Bryant, with their family immigrated to Jackson county, Missouri, in 1850, and settled in Independence, where they yet reside. The subject of our sketch received his primary education in the Independence High School, M. W. Miller, now in charge of Webster school in St. Louis, then being its principal. After being prepared for college by this institution of learning, Mr. Bryant went to Bethany College, Virginia, then under the management of Rev. Alexander Campbell, its president. At the expiration of two years, Mr. Bryant graduated with honor, and then returned and entered the Independence High School as assistant to M. W. Miller. Mr. Miller soon thereafter resigned, and Mr. Bryant succeeded him, and successfully managed the school for ten years. During that time he graduated a large number of pupils, some of whom now fill the principal commercial, educational, and political positions of the State. On the 29th day of August, 1871, Mr. Bryant married Miss Margaret Frances Ferguson, daughter of James and Mary Ferguson, of Boone county, Mo. After his marriage he accepted a professorship in the Christian Female College under the presidency of Joseph K. Rogers, and held the position for about five years. Owing to the failure of Mr. Rogers health, in 1877, he resigned the presidency and recommended Professor Bryant to the board of trustees, who unanimously elected him Mr. Rogers successor, which position he has satisfactorily filled to the present day, the last session of the school having been one of its most prosperous.
The Bryson family are of Irish origin, the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch havingemigrated to this country from Ireland in an early day on account of religious persecution. He was the father of Andrew, a native of Kentucky, who was the father of Solomon, also born and raised in Kentucky. James R., son of Solomon Bryson, was born in Madison county, Kentucky, May 30th, 1826, and came with his parents to Howard county, Missouri in 1829. They remained in Howard county for ten years, when they removed to a farm near Centralia, where the elder Bryson died soon after the war. James was one of eight children, four of each sex. He was educated at an old log school house, where the benches were constructed from the trunks of trees split in the middle, each half forming a bench, and each bench proving a seat of torture to the children doomed to sit with their feet dangling in space, with no rest for the arms or back. The primitive school house is never forgotten by those who experienced the tortures inflicted upon mind and body within it dark, rude walls. Mr. Bryson married Miss Nancy, daughter of Isaac Stone. They have had eight children, seven of whom are now living. During the civil war Mr. Bryson took sides with the South. He joined the Confederate army in 1862 and served until the close of the war. He was in several battles, but escaped without injury. Two of his brothers were captured and killed by Federal soldiers. Another brother was wounded at Wilson Creek. Mr. Bryson was quartermaster during most of the war. He has always voted the Democratic ticket. He owns about 600 acres of fine land well improved. It was one of the first places settled in his neighborhood. He is a member of the A.F. and A.M.
Edward Camplin Burnett was born in Boone county, October 13th, 1838. He is the son of Dabney and Elizabeth (Ramsey) Burnett, natives of Kentucky. Mrs. Burnett was the daughter of Capt. Ramsey, an associate of Daniel Boones in the early settling of Kentucky. The parents of Edward Burnett first settled in St. Charles county. In 1825 they came to Boone and settled on a farm one and one-half miles north of Ashland, where the elder Burnett died in 1845. On this farm the subject of this sketch was born. He was the fourth son and ninth child of a family of seven boys and four girls. Was educated at the district schools of his own neighborhood. In the spring of 1859 went to Colorado, and the year following to New Mexico, remaining three months in Santa Fe. He remained in the West until the fall of 1868, visiting Montana, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Oregon. Returned to the old farm, where he has since lived, except during the year 1871, which was spent on another farm. He is an official member of the New Salem Baptist church, also of the Ashland Lodge of A.F.& A.M. He was married October 13th, 1870, to Miss Sarah E. Rice, a native of Boone county, the daughter of David Rice, who emigrated from Kentucky to this county in 1819. They have had four children, one son and three daughters, of whom only the three daughters are living.
Robert V. Burnett is the son of Joseph Burnett, a native of Virginia. He removed to Kentucky and from thence to Ohio, finally coming to Missouri in 1820. He settled first in Howard county, but soon removed to the place known as Burnetts ford, on Cedar creek, where he remained until his death in 1853. His wife was Mary Ann Leopard, a native of Kentucky and pioneer settler of Missouri. He built one of the first mills ever erected in Boone county. Robert V. was born December 6, 1837. He was the second son and second child of a family of four boys and one girl, of whom only Robert and one brother are now living. He remained on the farm until the spring of 1854, when he commenced working at his trade, that of stone mason. He entered the Confederate service August 14, 1861, under Captain John M. Robinson. In December, 1861, he was transferred to a company of 1st Missouri Infantry under Colonel Barbridge. Was re-organized and put under Colonel Cockerill as the 2nd regiment after battle of Shiloh. Mr. Burnett belonged to this command until he left the service, January 2, 1865. He took part in the battles of Lexington, Bakers Creek, Champion Hills, Big Black River and Vicksburg. During the siege he threw a thirty-two pound shell among a party of Federal soldiers who were undermining the Confederate works, being the first man to throw by hand a shell with lighted fuse attached. After the surrender and while on the way to the place where they were to be paroled, he left the line to get something to eat and was captured by the enemy and held a prisoner of war. Was kept two weeks at St. Louis and from there sent to Camp Morton, Indianapolis, where he remained until near the close of the war when he was released and allowed to return home. In the fall of 1873, he bought and moved to the farm upon which he now lives, one-half mile north of Ashland. He was married in Boone county, April 15, 1865, to Miss Martha Martin, daughter of John P. Martin. Has had four sons and two daughters, of whom the three oldest, two sons and one daughter, died within the space of fifteen days of diphtheria. Mr. Burnett is a member of the Baptist church, and of the grange. He was delegate to the State grange in 1881-2.
Elder Burnham was born in Howard county, Missouri, December 6, 1831. His father, D. S., was the son of Henry Burnham, a native of North Carolina, who emigrated to Kentucky. This Henry Burnham was the son of John, the first member of the family born in the United States. His father came from England. The family is supposed to be of German origin, as the former spelling of the name would indicate. The second syllable was originally spelled h-e-i-m. Some of the family still discard the letter h. The Burnhams are represented in the States of Kentucky, North Carolina, New York, Texas and Missouri. Elder Burnham was educated at the common schools of Howard county, and at Fayette, where he attended three sessions, completing his studies at the State University. He followed teaching until 1860, when he was chosen clerk of the Sturgeon court of common pleas, which position he held for four years. He was married February 5, 1861, to Mrs. Henrietta J. Hill, widow of Francis M. Hill, and daughter of John Parker of Illinois. They have had six children, three sons and three daughters, two of whom, Robert H. and Julia, are dead. The surviving children are Wesley P., John M., Nannie and Emma D. Mr. Burnham united with the Christian church at the age of eighteen, and was licensed to preach in 1879. He has been pastor of Dripping Springs church. He owns a farm of 160 acres, and divides his time and attention about equally between farming and teaching. He is a useful citizen, upright and faithful in the discharge of duty, kind and accommodating as a neighbor, and earnest and zealous in the school room and pulpit.
Christopher C. Bush is a native of Kentucky, where he was born, October 25th, 1823. He is the son of T. V. Bush, a farmer, and was reared and educated in the same line of business. His father lived to the age of seventy-three, and is entitled to the distinction of having invented the first corn planter ever patented in the United States. The subject of this sketch came to Missouri in the spring of 1855, and settled in Boone county, where he has continuously resided ever since. He has always followed farming. Married Miss Sarah A., daughter of Nelson Bush. Four sons and six daughters were born of this marriage. The first wife dying, Mr. Bush was again married, the second wife being Miss Perlina, daughter of James C. Jennings. He has been a member of the Christian church ever since he was thirteen years old.
John Butler, the subject of this sketch, was born in County Tipperary, Ireland, September 10, 1825. He is the son of John and Mary Butler. The elder Butler left Ireland when his son was but two years old, coming first to New York City. The family finally settled near Albany, where Mr. Butler took a contract on the first railroad ever built in the United States. This road connected Albany and Schenectady.ed to Oneida county, where he died. Mrs. Butler is still living in Oneida county, New York. The subject of this sketch remained at home until 1852. In the fall of that year he went to California, where he remained for three years, returning to New York in 1855, and from there he came to Boone county, by way of Jefferson City, crossing the country on foot. Mr. Butler was first married October 16, 1847, to Miss Jane, daughter of Henry and Jane McGrah, of Hoosick, New York. Had five children by this marriage, two of whom, William and Annie, are now living. The former married Zelo Hawkins, the latter Thornton Stewart. The first wife having died in 1862, Mr. Butler was married to his second wife, January 2, 1875. He is now living with his third wife, whose maiden name was Leticia Hill, daughter of Eli Hill, of Sturgeon. Have had three children, two of whom are living, Martin and Mary. Mr. Butler is a mechanic, and as such entered the army in 1862. He is a member of the Masonic lodge at Sturgeon. His wife is a member of the Christian church. He has done as much, perhaps more, to advance the interest and prosperity of Sturgeon than any other individual of the place. He has built a great many houses, and by this means contributed largely to the size of the town as well as to the number of its inhabitants. He is a man of considerable means, all of which he earned by his own labor and prudent management. He has engaged in many enterprises, and has prospered in all his undertakings. He is a carpenter, and his skill as such has served him to the best advantage in improving his own lands. He owns, in addition to his town property, about seven hundred acres of land, much of which he has redeemed from a howling wilderness. He started the Sturgeon broom factory, now owned by S. A. Fretwell. He also made the Commercial Hotel a profitable business before selling out to its present proprietor, W. E. Smith.