p. 845 - J. R. CAMPBELL
James Reyburn Campbell was born in Mexico, Mo., October 1st, 1846. He is a son of John and Sallie (Turner) Campbell. His father was a native of Kentucky and came to Missouri when a boy. He died in December, 1870, in Audrain county. Mrs. Campbell is a native of Boone county; she is still alive. Mr. Campbell was a farmer. J. R. Campbell, the subject hereof, was reared on a farm and received a common school education. In the fall of 1862, when but sixteen years of age, he went South and took service in the Confederate army under Gen. Price. His first enlistment was in Company A, of the 1st Missouri brigade (afterwards Company B). During his term of service, Mr. Campbell participated in the second fight at Carthage, in Taylors engagements with and defeat of Gen. Banks in Louisiana, and in Prices last raid. He was under Gen. Price all of his term. The hardest battles in which he was engaged were Big Blue, Jackson county, and Big Prairie, near the Arkansas line, both on Prices raid into Missouri. Upon first enlisting Mr. Campbell was in the cavalry, but was afterwards transferred to the infantry. He did a great deal of post duty in Arkansas and Louisiana, guarding the forts at Shreveport and at other points on Red river. He surrendered with the main body of Gen. Prices army at Shreveport in the spring of 1865, and returned home June 25th, of that year, and began life without a dollar.
Soon after coming home Mr. Campbell engaged with the Wilcox & Gibbs Sewing Machine Company, of St. Louis, for which he worked about eighteen months, when he entered the service of the Singer company, and was given their agency for four counties. This territory he has held ever since. In November, 1875, he came to Columbia, where he has since resided. In addition to his sewing machine house, Mr. Campbell also conducts a first-class confectionery store, and since January 1882, has owned a one-third interest in the large grocery and provision house of Bruce, Moberly & Co.
He was married December 12th, 1868, to Miss Amelia Turner, a native of Audrain county, and daughter of John Turner, Esq. Mr. and Mrs. Campbell are the parents of three children -- Mary Pearl, Eula Gertrude and Laura Belle. Mr. and Mrs. C. are both members of the Baptist church, and Mr. C. belongs to the United Workmen and Knights of Honor.
This gentleman, cashier of the Rocheport Savings Bank, was born in Cooper county, Missouri, February 8, 1855, his parents, Dr. F. and Ella C. Carr being old residents of that county. He was educated at William Jewell College, a Baptist institution located at Liberty, Missouri. On leaving school at the age of eighteen, in 1873, he entered the Rocheport Bank as clerk and book-keeper, serving four years in that capacity. He then removed to Sturgeon, Boone county, where he was cashier of the Sturgeon Bank for three years, up to 1880. Returning then to Rocheport, he became cashier of the above named bank, and still acts in that capacity at this writing. Mr. Carr was married March 13, 1879, to Miss Carrie Harris, of Sturgeon, Missouri. They have one child, a son named Ellis Marshall. The position Mr. Carr has held and still holds, as clerk and cashier of these banks, is fraught with a responsibility, that might be considered a compliment to a much older man than he, and the bare fact that he has faithfully and honorably discharged the duties pertaining thereto, stamps him already as a successful business man, while still having the greatest portion and last part of his life before him.
p. 846 - MR. AND MRS. O. A. CARR
The subjects of this sketch are natives of Kentucky, the former having been born in Lewis county, February 5th, 1845, the latter in Stanford, Lincoln county, September 8th, 1847. Mr. Carrs paternal grandparents, Daniel Carr and Richard Clary, were sturdy pioneer farmers of their respective counties. Daniel Carr lived sixty-four years of his married life in one home in Lewis county, near which began the wedded lives of William Carr and Elizabeth Clary, to whom were born eight children, the fifth bearing the name of Oliver Anderson Carr. In early youth Oliver attended school of winters at the rude log school-house of the neighborhood, the term usually lasting but three months in the year. The elder Carr was not satisfied with the limited facilities thus afforded his children, as he had early resolved to give them as good an education as his means would afford. For this reason he abandoned his farm and removed to Mays Lick, Mason county, where, from the age of eleven to sixteen, Oliver attended the academy. After five years hard study, the subject of this sketch had won the esteem and confidence of all who knew him, and when it was known that he wished to further prosecute his studies at college, and that his means were limited, the young student did not lack for assistance, which came without personal solicitation. He was thus enabled to attend the Kentucky University, then situated at Harrodsburg, Kentucky. While a student of this institution, the university building was burned and the school was removed to Lexington, where Mr. Carr graduated in 1867, at the age of twenty-two. He was the youngest graduate of the university at that time and the youngest of the class, being the first to receive the degree of A.B. after the removal of the university to Lexington. His labors in the gospel began at the age of nineteen, when he travelled and preached during the summer months in Northeastern Kentucky -- one season in company with Eld. J. W. Mountjoy -- preaching in school-houses and forest groves to multitudes who assembled to hear the gospel. Five hundred people acknowledged the Savior under his preaching, and six churches were established by him, one within two miles of his birth place. In the midst of these labors there was a call for missionaries, and Elder Carr was selected for the Australia mission. Previous to commencing his long journey, he was married in the Christian church at Lancaster, Kentucky, to Miss Mattie Myers, March 26th, 1868. Immediately after their marriage they departed for Melbourne, Australia. They sailed from New York to Liverpool in a sailing vessel, and after a voyage of one hundred and four days landed safely at Melbourne. Mr. Carr at once began his labors in that city. He established a church, and used the press and pulpit continuously during the period of his labors in that country. In addition to preaching, he taught a class of young men who were preparing for the ministry. Excessive toil and the enervating influence of the climate told seriously upon his health, and he was advised to visit Tasmania, two hundred miles south of Australia for the benefit of the climate. Soon after landing at Hobart he was urged to preach and did so, establishing a church of one hundred and twenty members. After one years labor at Hobart they sailed for home by way of Ceylon, the Red Sea and the Suez Canal, visiting Egypt and the Holy Land, stopping at Naples and Rome, passing through the Mount Cenis tunnel to Paris and Versailles, thence to Southampton, and after three weeks stay in England sailed for New York, and thence overland by way of Niagara Falls to Maysville, Kentucky, where Mr. Carrs parents were living, landing at home in August, 1873. After a brief rest Eld. Carr resumed his labors in Kentucky, travelling extensively in the interest of Sunday-schools. In 1874 he responded to a call from a St. Louis church for a specified time, at the expiration of which time he and Mrs. Carr came to Fulton, Missouri, the former to preach and the latter to take charge of Floral Hill College. It was thought best to unite this institution with Christian College, Columbia, Missouri, which union was consummated in 1878. Mr. Carr has devoted his time to evangelical labors in Missouri, except while occupying the pulpit of Eld. L. B. Wilkes, at Columbia, during the illness of the latter. Mr. Carrs labors in the last few years have been directed towards securing church cooperation in promulgating the gospel, and to this end he has travelled, preached and written continuously since coming to Missouri. During the last year of his labors in this State he has established a church at Laddonia, Audrain county, and another at Ashland, in Boone county, where they have recently completed an excellent church edifice. Mrs. O. A. Carr, the earnest zealous partner of Elder Carr in all his missionary and evangelical labors, is the youngest daughter of Henry and Mary (Burdette) Myers, and was born in Stanford, Lincoln county, Kentucky, September 6th, 1847. Her father was of German origin, her mother of English extraction. Mrs. Carr was a pupil of Daughters College, Harrodsburg, Kentucky, for six years, under the management of President John A. Williams, afterwards president of Christian College, Columbia, Missouri. Having finished the junior course in Daughters College she was sent to St. Catherine de Sienna, Washington county, Kentucky, where she graduated with the highest honors of her class. The following year, 1865, she returned to Daughters College and graduated there in 1866 with high honors. Soon after leaving college she was called to the principalship of Franklin College, Lancaster, Kentucky. After nearly two years prosperous labor she resigned and was married, March 26th, 1868, to Mr. O. A. Carr, since which time her history has been thoroughly identified with his in their labors for the cause of Christ both in this country and in foreign lands. During the three years spent in Australia, Mrs. Carr had charge of a college for young ladies, and worked with her husband in his church relations until the failure of her health, when they removed to Tasmania, where she continued her labors in the church and school which they organized at that place. After their return to America she was appointed associate principal of Hamilton College, Lexington, Kentucky. She did not remain long with this institution, however, as the work became excessive after the resignation of the principal. Consequently she resigned and joined her husband, who had preceded her to St. Louis, having taken charge of the First Christian church of that city. In 1876 she assumed the management of Floral Hill College, Fulton, Missouri, where she remained until that institution was consolidated with Christian Female College, Columbia, Missouri. She then came to Columbia as associate principal of Christian College. In this capacity she labored for one year, at the expiration of which time she received, in 1879, the appointment of lady principal of the Missouri State University, which position she now holds. She also has control of the work department, established for the benefit of the young lady pupils of the University. Besides her weekly labors in the church and in the school, she has contributed to religious periodicals, and has delivered frequent lectures in the interest of literary and religious culture.
Thomas S. Carter, editor and proprietor of the Sturgeon LEADER, was born in Monroe county, East Tennessee, November 14, 1843. He is the son of Lewis and Elizabeth (nee Parker) Carter. The elder Carter was a Methodist minister. The subject of this sketch came to Missouri in 1860, and settled in Hickory county. Went south at the breaking out of the war. Came to North Missouri in 1864 and engaged in farming until 1870, when he removed to Sturgeon where he was engaged as marshal of the town for two terms. He was also a member of the board of education. In 1874 he was appointed clerk of the court of common pleas, which position he has held continuously ever since. He has represented the Democratic party several times in State conventions, and was one of the delegates to the Cincinnati presidential convention in 1880. Served one session as docket clerk of the Thirtieth General Assembly. He was secretary of the Missouri Press Association for three years. He was married December 6, 1876, to Miss Melissa, daughter of John and Nancy Baker, a native of Boone county. They have four children living: Lora E., Maud M., Pearl and Boone. Mrs. Carter is a member of the Methodist Church South. Mr. Carter was educated at Hiwassee College, Tennessee. He is Welsh descent on his fathers side. His mother was a native of Tennessee. He landed in Sturgeon without a dollar, and has by his own individual exertions and energy accumulated a competence as well as an influential position in the community where he resides.
Though Mr. Challes is now a resident of Howard county, living just across the line, he is a native of Boone county, and so thoroughly identified with the former history of the county of his birth, as to deserve biographical mention in this work. He was born on a farm near Rocheport, February 7th, 1830, where he grew up and received his education. He continued to make the old homestead his home till he was nearly thirty years old. His father had died when Joel H. was seventeen years old, and the care of the family and the management of the farm was left to himself and his brother Andrew. In October, 1864, he entered the Confederate service, in the regiment of Col. Perkins, in Prices army, and served till the war closed. He had married, in February, 1861, Miss Sallie W. Forbis, daughter of G. B. Forbis, of Boone county. Soon after his marriage he rented the farm which he now owns and on which he resides, leaving his family there while he was away in the war. Returning home when the troubles were over, he lived as a renter on the place some seven years, and then bought it. There were 103 acres, to which he has added by subsequent purchases till it now numbers 328 acres, all well improved. Seven children still survive to Mr. Challes and wife, named respectively: George W., Sidney, Sallie, John, William R., Nannie and Jennie. They lost one, Mary, who died at two years old. These were all born on the place where the family now reside, and on which Mr. C. will probably spend the remainder of his days. The subject of this sketch is no aspirant for political honors, but much prefers the quiet of his own home and farm, to the eclat and excitement of official campaigning. He is one of those substantial citizens who has amassed what property he has by thrift and economy, and takes a supreme pleasure in his family, and his surroundings generally.
Was born at Old Mines, Washington county, Missouri, February 10th, 1824. In 1827, his parents moved to Union, Franklin county, where John H, was reared and educated. During his boyhood, he clerked in his fathers store at Union, in the interm of his school terms, and thus continued till he was twenty years old. He then began merchandising at Union, and continued there till 1855. He then came to Rocheport, this county, and associated himself with Clayton Brothers, merchants, under the style of Clayton, Chambers & Co. They did business thus till they were forced to discontinue, owing to unsettled condition of things, in 1862. Mr. Chambers returned to Franklin county and opened a store in what is now New Haven, where he continued to do business till the war closed. In 1864, he was raided by a portion of Prices Confederates, under Gen. Marmaduke, and relieved of a large amount of supplies such as boots, shoes, clothing, dry-goods, etc. Returning to Rocheport, in 1865, he became associated with his old partners, and continued the mercantile business thus till 1868, when they closed out. Mr. Chambers then became connected with J. H. Armstrong and R. S. Miller, as a milling company, and they built the Star Mills of that town. He withdrew from the firm in 73, and again began merchandising. His brother, James A., and his son, George C., became connected with the concern in 1880, the firm being styled Chambers Bros. & Co. Mr. Chambers was married on the 11th of October, 1848, to Miss Judith S. Clayton, of Union, Franklin county. They have two children -- Laura, wife of J. E. Miller, of Nevada, Missouri, and George C., junior partner of the above firm. Mr. Chambers and wife both belong to the Christian church, and Mrs. Miller is also a member of the same.
p. 1019 - JEREMIAH W. CHAMPION
The subject of this sketch, who at this writing is manager of the Monitor Mills of Rocheport, was born in Caldwell county, Kentucky, November 17th, 1826. His parents moved to Missouri when he was two years old and settled in Howard county, where Jeremiah was reared. He continued with his parents until attaining his legal majority, when he left home and began life for himself. Purchasing a farm in Howard county, near the Boone line, he owned and lived on it till 1856, excepting two years spent in California. In 1850, he rented his place, and started across the plains to the Eldorado of gold seekers. He and his father were together, and they went into the butchering business at Diamond Springs. The father, Drury C. Champion, died there in January, 1852, and Jeremiah started home the same month. Arriving in Missouri, he resumed farming on his place in Howard county, remaining till 1856, when he sold out, and erected a steam saw-mill in partnership with his uncle, Jeremiah Rucker, and his brother, James Champion. He bought out the interest of the others in 1858, and continued to operate the mill in different localities of Howard and Boone counties till June, 1875. Coming then to Rocheport, this county, he associated himself with Mr. L. Grossman, and they erected the fine flouring mills, known as the Monitor Mills, of which Mr. Champion is still the manager, having rented Mr. Grossmans interest in 1878. Mr. Champion entered the state of connubial bliss, April 22d, 1848, when he was married to Miss Lucy A. Hill, of Boone county. They have seven living children: Martha Edna, wife of A. J. Turner; Clarissa B., wife of J. T. Suttles (Howard county); William Harvey; George H., Samie D. and Lena. Mr. C. has been a member of the Christian church since he was sixteen, and Mrs. C. since she was fifteen years old. All the children but two belong to the same. He is a member of Rocheport lodge, No. 67, A.F. and A.M., of which he is chaplain. He is also G.W.C. of Rocheport lodge of Good Templars.
Garrison H. Chance was born in Delaware, March 20, 1823. He is the son of Thomas Chance, a native of New Jersey. He is of Welsh origin on the fathers side. His maternal ancestors were English. In 1927 Thomas Chance emigrated to Ohio, where he remained six years. In 1833 he removed to Illinois. In 1840 the subject of this sketch came to Boone county, Missouri, where he married Miss Martha A., daughter of John Roberts. There were six sons and two daughters by this marriage. Mr. Chance has a large farm well improved. He raises a variety of produce. Has a fine orchard and apiary. He is a member of the Christian church, and contributes liberally to the support of the gospel. Though hardly sixty years of age, he has twelve grandchildren.
John A. Chance was born in Missouri, but went with his parents to Illinois when a child. This was in 1847. He came back to Missouri in 1865 and engaged in farming until 1881 when he purchased a controlling interest in the hardware store of Thomas Sexton, Centralia. His brother, C. E. Chance, is now his partner in business, the firm being Chance Brothers. He was married in 1873 to Miss Addie, daughter of Solomon Sexton. They have two children. Mr. Chance is an official member of the Christian church. The firm of Chance Brothers is well established and justly popular with the people of Centralia and vicinity.
Arthur Payne Clarkson is the son of Dr. Henry M. and Marian (Payne) Clarkson. Dr. Clarkson was a graduate of the old Medical College at Philadelphia, but never practiced his profession. He owned a large plantation in Fauquier county, Virginia, which required all of his attention. His wifes father was also one of the largest planters in their section of Virginia. Arthur P. Clarkson came to Missouri in 1841 and settled in Columbia, where he remained for six or seven years. He then moved to the farm upon which he now resides, five miles east of Columbia, on the gravel road. He was educated at Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri. Was married April 26th, 1859, to Miss Emily A., daughter of William H. and Harriet (Holley) Brand, of Lexington, Kentucky. Mr. Clarkson has always followed farming. He owns a fine farm one and a half miles east of Columbia, on the St. Charles road. From 1867 to 1873 Mr. Clarkson was chairman of the Boone County Democratic Central Committee. He has always taken a lively interest in political matters. While not a partisan, strictly speaking, he is yet sincere and positive in his political convictions and unwavering in his support of party men and measures.
The gentleman whose name heads this sketch, one of the leading business men of the county, was born in Union, Franklin county, Missouri, June 21st, 1833, and there grew to manhood. His father was a merchant by vocation, and when John S. was eleven years old, he was placed in the store, and did not attend school afterwards till he went to take a commercial course. He acquired his education chiefly, in the store, and when seventeen years old, attended Jones Commercial College in St. Louis, and, after finishing his course there, was employed as shipping clerk by a St. Louis house, retaining the position until 1852. He then went to Washington, Missouri, and embarked in the mercantile business. He only remained one year, however, when he came to Rocheport, in this county, and engaged in merchandising with his father, Thomas F. Clayton, they doing business under the style of T. F. Clayton & Co. until 1855. The father then retiring from the business, John S., became associated with his brother, J. R. Clayton, and J. H. Chambers, the firm being styled Clayton, Chambers & Co. They continued business till 1862, and were then forced to discontinue because of the war. In January, 1863, he and Capt. W. P. Wilcox ventured in the general merchandising and produce business, and operated till January, 1865. Owing to the disturbed condition of the country, they closed their business in Rocheport and went to Omaha, Nebraska, where they, with William Stephens, organized the firm of Clayton, Stephens & Wilcox, and opened up in the general merchandise line. Mr. Clayton, in the fall of 1865, while still retaining his connection with the Omaha concern, returned to Rocheport, and formed the firm of Clayton, Miller & Co., general merchants and tobacco dealers. They also built the grist mill known as the Boone County Star Mills. At the death of Mr. Miller, in January, 1880, a stock company was formed, of which Mr. Clayton was made superintendent and general manager, and this company still carries on the business. In addition to this, Mr. Clayton acts as steamboat agent, and also conducts an establishment for the sale of farm machinery and operates as a railroad contractor. On November the 18th, 1857, Mr. Clayton was married to Miss Fannie Chambers, of Union, Missouri. They have three children, named respectively: Howard, Belle, (wife of Jno. T. Mitchell, of Centralia) and Tom. Mr. C. is a member of Boone Lodge, No. 121, I.O.O.F., of Rocheport, and he and his wife both belong to the Christian church.
p. 1023 - SAMUEL DAVIS COCHRAN
The subject of this sketch was born on the old John G. Cochran farm, two and one half miles east of Rocheport, December 11th, 1832. He is the son of John G. and Delina Cochran. His grandfather, William Cochran, emigrated from Scotland before the revolutionary war and settled in Kentucky, removing from that State to Missouri in 1818, settling first at Boones Lick, in Howard county, coming the following year to Boone county, where he located on a farm four and one-half miles east of Rocheport. His son, John G., settled the farm, upon which Samuel was born, in 1825. The subject of this sketch remained with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age. He was married, October 16th, 1856, to Miss Amanda Boggs, who died December 22d, 1880. After his marriage, Mr. Cochran purchased a farm which he cultivated until the breaking out of the war. In 1864, he joined the Confederate army, enlisting in Company K, 9th regiment, Jackmans brigade, of Shelbys division, with which he served until the close of the war, in 1865, when he returned to Boone county. Soon after his return he sold his farm and bought the place upon which he now resides, five miles east of Rocheport, known as the William Boggs farm, consisting of 160 acres. He has four children: Mollie D., Owen W., Amanda and Eliza B., all of whom are living with their parents. Mr. Cochran is in faith a Cumberland Presbyterian. One son and one daughter, Owen and Amanda, are members of the Baptist church at Sugar Creek. He is a member of the Rocheport lodge of A.F. and A.M.
William H. Cochran is of a family of successful farmers -- men of excellent judgment, firm, self-reliant and practical; farmers, not from necessity, but from a natural love of the business. The subject of this sketch was born on Independence Day, 1847. He is the son of Robert Cochran, deceased, native of South Carolina. The elder Cochran was a soldier in the war of 1812. He came to Boone county in 1821. He died when his son was but twelve years old. There were five other children, three boys and two girls, all younger than William. His boyhood was spent under circumstances that did not admit of his getting more than a limited common school education, but he applied himself diligently to reading and in the course of time acquired a large store of useful information. He reads the papers with much interest and keeps thoroughly posted on all the stirring events of the period. He is, politically, an earnest and consistent Democrat. He is a member of the A.F. & A.M. He has 200 acres of fine grass land, not a foot of which is ever disturbed by the plow. There is neither plowing nor sowing on his farm. He deals exclusively in live stock, buying, grazing and selling. He has been very successful in the cattle and hog trade. His farm is well watered. There is one well on the place which measures 225 feet in depth. Mr. Cochran is a bachelor of the best type, a kind, genial companion, a good neighbor and useful citizen.
William Wallace Conger was born in Oswego county, New York, January 7, 1840. His father was a miller and he was brought up to the same business. Attended school at Phoenix, his native town. In 1858 he came with his father to Audrain county, Missouri, and settled on a farm where he remained for eight years. In 1873 he came to Centralia and entered the firm of Conger Brothers, proprietors of the Centralia mills, of which firm he is still a member. In 1861 he acted as scout for Federal troops, being with the 3d Iowa regiment. March 25, 1862, enlisted in Captain H. N. Cooks company, Guitars regiment, in which he served for three years and one month. Was third sergeant of his company and followed the fortunes of his regiment in all the raids, marches and battles in which it was engaged. Was at Moores Mills, Kirksville, Browns Springs, and other skirmishes of less note. Was never wounded or captured. Mr. Conger was married March 17, 1864, to Miss Angeline M. Hunt, of Monroe county. They have eight living children. Their names are William E., Henry M., Clarence H., Harriet N., Bessie, Alice L., Ann Barbara, Clyde W., and one dead -- Addie. Mr. and Mrs. Conger are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Conger is also a Mason.
Abram H. Conley, farmer, capitalist and trader, was born in Boone county, Missouri, June 9, 1838. He is the son of John and Belila (Weldon) Conley. He was raised on the farm and educated at the public schools, completing his studies at the Missouri State University. In 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate service, joining Company B, Majors Battalion, Harvey McKinney (afterwards colonel, killed at Champion Hill, back of Vicksburg) being his captain. When the company was regularly organized, he was elected second lieutenant. Company B was composed of sharpshooters. He served for six months in the old Missouri State Guard. He then joined Col. Searcys Battalion, and was chosen first lieutenant of Company D, commanded by Capt. Berry Owens, which position he held until the close of the war. In the captains absence the company was commanded by Mr. Conley. He was at the battle of Lexington, and was with Bill Anderson when the latter was killed, near the mouth of Fishing river in Ray county, Missouri, some ten miles southwest of Richmond. He had command of twenty men on this memorable occasion, which he was taking through to Prices army. The next fight was at Gasconade river, followed by a severe engagement in Wright county, nine miles east of Hartsville. There about three hundred Federals and an equal number of Confederates engaged. The Confederates were forced into the fight, but the Federals had cause to regret their rashness. The Confederate lost considerably less than the Federals, and were allowed to continue their march unmolested. They reached Prices army, on Red river, without further fighting. During the first winter of the war, Mr. Conley was taken prisoner at Rocky Fork bridge, on the Blackfoot rock road, and was held at Centralia and Sturgeon by Gen. Prentiss. Was kept a prisoner for two weeks, when he was paroled. Was also captured at Lexington, but was soon released. He surrendered at Shreveport under Col. Charles S. Mitchell, now of Houston, Texas, formerly of Saline county, Missouri. Since the war he has followed farming and trading. At one time he owned the Model Farm of 400 acres, which he sold to Warren A. Smith, September 1, 1881. In 1872 he was elected public administrator, but resigned. He is a member of the Masonic order.
James William Conley, son of John and Belila (Weldon) Conley, was born in Boone county, Missouri, May 1, 1835. He was brought up on the farm and educated at the common schools of the country. Married, November 5, 1857, Miss Anna E., daughter of Orastus and Mary (Summers) Reid. By this union they have nine children, one son and eight daughters, all of whom are living: Mollie B., born December 22, 1858; Maggie Lee, born September 3, 1861; Mattie and Minnie, born December 16, 1863; Alva N., born April 19, 1867; Alvin, born July 15, 1870; Rosa B., born November 20, 1873; Genie, born January 21, 1877; Roy born December 13, 1879. Mr. Conley taught school in Boone county, beginning in the spring of 1855 and continuing until 1862. In 1870-71, run a saw-mill on the old Prather farm, seven and one-half miles northeast of Columbia, on Clays Fork. Since 1871 he has followed farming continuously up to the present time. He owns a fine farm of 300 acres, seven miles northeast of Columbia, on the Middletown road. The farm is well watered and timbered. He has lived on this farm since 1858. He has improved the place to the very best advantage. A large portion of the land is in grass and woodland pasture. He devotes about one hundred acres to corn, wheat and oats. He has two of the finest sugar orchards in the county. Has a good coal mine, the vein being from three to four feet in thickness. It was opened some time in 1850. Mr. Conley is a member of the Masonic order, also a Patron of Husbandry. He is a member of the Oakland Christian church. Four of his daughters are members of the same church.
James William Conley was born in Cedar township, Boone county, Missouri, March 18, 1848. He is the son of Benjamin Conley, a pioneer settler and one of the largest land holders in the county. His mother was a native of Kentucky. He is the youngest of a family of five sons and five daughters, of whom three of each sex are living, all in Boone county. He lived on the farm upon which he was born until the fall of 1875, when he removed to the place upon which he now resides. His farm consists of 800 acres of excellent land finely improved. It is situated three and one-half miles northeast of Ashland and fifteen miles southeast of Columbia. He is largely engaged in stock raising and has some very fine thoroughbred cattle. He was married in St. Louis, April 29, 1878, to Miss Abbie S. Terry, daughter of Thomas J. Terry, of the firm of Terry, Hodson & Co. Has had one son and one daughter. The son, alone, is living.
The above is the original spelling of the name of an old pioneer family, though the orthography has been changed by the descendants and younger generation, who spell the name C-o-n-l-e-y, dropping out one n and one l and placing the e between the l and the y. John Connelly, the subject of this sketch, was born in Maryland in the year 1755, and came to Boone county, Missouri, in 1827. He married Elizabeth Turner of Madison county, Kentucky, and became the ancestor of many of the generations in Boone county, who bear the name, and the altered name as mentioned above. Mr. Connelly served under Gen. Greene in the Revolutionary War, and was present at Yorktown when Lord Cornwallis handed over his sword to Gen. Washington. This worthy old pioneer died at the home of his son-in-law, James Turner, in 1849, on what is known as the Two-mile Prairie, and was laid by his friends and relatives in his last resting place.
Is a son of John and Elizabeth (Turner) Connelly, and was born in Madison county, Kentucky, January 8th, 1815, and was partially educated in his native county. He completed his education in Boone county, Missouri, whither his parents removed in 1827. When 22 years old he enlisted, in 1837, for service in the Florida War. He served three months under command of Col. Richard Gentry, and with credit to himself. Mr. Connelly was married in Boone county, December 23d, 1840, to Jane Le Force, daughter of William and Mary (Martin) Le Force, a family of French descent. Mr. Connelly was engaged in Business in Columbia, keeping a general merchandise store from 1858 to 1862. He then sold his stock of goods to his nephew, John C. Connelly, and moved to the country on a farm of 280 acres, four miles northwest of Columbia, where he lived till 1879. On leaving that place, he moved to his present place of residence, two and a half miles south of Columbia. Mr. Connelly is one of Boone countys most substantial farmers, and owns some 570 acres of as good land as is in the county. He is a member of the Olivet Christian church.
Andrew M. Conway, son of Gen. Frederick Rector and Martha (Collins) Conway, was born in St. Louis, Missouri, October 8, 1842. Came to Boone county in 1848. Was educated at the Bonne Femme Academy, and at Elm Ridge Academy, Howard county, completing his literary education at the Missouri State University in 1864. Completing his medical course in 1874 at St. Louis. Returning to Boone county, he opened an office at Midway, seven miles west of Columbia. In Oct. 1875, he married Miss Susan, daughter of Isaac and Susan (Anderson) Hayes. In the spring of 1876, Dr. Conway went to Texas with the view of locating, but came back to Boone county in 1878 and settled at Stephens station, where he is now practicing his profession and rapidly building up a good business. They have two children: Frederick R., born September 14, 1876, and Julia, born April 10, 1881. The doctor is not a member of any church. Mrs. Conway is a member of the Methodist Church South. Gen. Frederick R. Conway, the father, was a merchant. He died in Huntsville, Missouri, when quite a young man. Ex-Governor Elias Conway is the only surviving brother. He is now living at Little Rock, Arkansas. There were three sisters. One became the wife of William Shields, another married a man named Runkle. The third is Mrs. Gen. William Pelham, living near Austin, Texas. Gen. Conway first married a widow named Smith. By this union they had one son. She dying a short time after her marriage, he wedded Martha Collins. There were five children by this union: Lucy A., Thomas F., a lawyer in Santa Fe, New Mexico; Andrew M., Mary E., deceased, and Francis H., who is now running a cotton plantation on the Arkansas river, near Little Rock.
Henry Nixdorff Cook was born at Palmyra, Marion county, Missouri. October 30, 1838. He was educated in the common schools, and at St. Pauls College. In 1851 he came to Columbia, and has ever since been a resident of Boone county. His first occupation in Columbia was that of jeweler and watchmaker.
Upon the breaking out of the civil war Captain Cook announced himself an unconditional Union man, and was ready to fight for his principles. April 22, 1862, he received a commission as captain of company F, 9th Cavalry, M.S.M. (Guitars regiment), and in this capacity served for three years. During his term of service Captain Cook participated in the engagement at Moores Mill, Kirksville, Independence, and in the other leading battles of General Prices last raid into Missouri, besides innumerable fights and skirmishes with Confederate guerillas and bushwhackers. In one engagement with Jim Carters band in this county, in the winter of 1865, he killed four of the guerrillas and effectually broke up the band. In April, 1865, he received a commission as captain of the Boone County Company of militia, and served some months. He received the surrender of the notorious Jim Jackson and his band in the spring of 1865, and gave them written paroles. Jackson was afterwards killed by the militia with his parole on his person. The captain passed through all the dangers of the war without a scratch.
In the fall of 1868 Captain Cook was appointed county clerk of Boone county, to which office he was elected in 1870 as a Republican, although the county was Democratic at the time. He served as county clerk till January 1, 1875. In June, 1881, he was appointed postmaster of Columbia, and is still in that position.
In March, 1859, Captain Cook married Miss Hettie Scott, of Arrow Rock, Saline county. They are parents of two children, a son and daughter, both of whom have reached maturity. Henry Guitar, the son, is deputy postmaster, and Mary, the daughter is now Mrs. Wage, of Columbia.
Marcellus D. Cook was born in Hopkins county, Kentucky, near Madisonville, January 20th, 1818, where he lived with his parents until he attained his tenth year, when they came to Missouri and settled on a farm seven miles east of Rocheport, where he resided with his parents until he was twenty-one years of age, when he commenced farming for himself as a renter. He followed this business until 1842, when he purchased a farm on which he now lives. August 27th, 1839, he married Miss Elizabeth Smith, of Boone county, by whom he has seven children: Henry S., of Smithton, Missouri; William Harrison, of Boone county; David Willis, of Boone county; Charles M., merchant of Columbia; Amanda Ellen, wife of James R. Jacobs, of Boone county; and Jefferson Price and Samuel, at home with their parents. Mr. Cook and his wife are members of the Sugar Creek Baptist church, having united with that denomination in 1835. During the war he was not engaged on either side, but was Southern in sentiment. He suffered severe loss of property, but escaped without bodily harm. The Federal soldiers took from him about six hundred dollars worth of horses, and he was not even spared by his own party.
p. 1085 - CAPT. MASTIN G. CORLE
. The subject of this biography is of French-Huguenot extraction, his paternal great-grandfather having fled from France after the revocation of the edict of Nantes. He settled in South Carolina and from him the Corlews, now a numerous family, trace their origin. Capt. Corlew was born in Boone county, Missouri, February 1, 19821. He is the son of John Corlew, Jr., who came to Missouri with his father in 1817, and settled on the southeast quarter of section three, township forty-nine. John Corlew, Jr., was a soldier in the war of 1812, and served under Gen. Jackson. He was for many years constable of Perche township. He also served the people in the capacity of a justice of the peace. He was a public spirited man and took a deep interest in education. He was a strict member of the Primitive Baptist church. He died August 7, 1848, and was buried at the old Rocky Fork church. Capt. Corlews mothers name, before marriage, was Gore. In his boyhood, the captain had few opportunities for procuring an education, having attended school but nine months all told. He was married in 1853 to Miss Sarah Cox. By this union seven children were born, four sons and three daughters. Their names are: John L., Deborah E., Wm. O., Sterling P., Magdalena and Andrew J. Deborah married Silas S. Davenport. They have four children. William O. married Jennie Boyce. Capt. Corlew spent four years in California, from 1849 to 1853, mining for gold. At the breaking out of the late civil war, he took sides with the South, serving as captain under Gen. John B. Clark. He was in some hotly contested battles. Among others, Lexington, Drywood and Moores Mill. Surrendered at Shreveport in 1865. He was appointed a justice of the peace in 1872, and has held that office ever since. His eldest son, John L., is a successful teacher in the public schools of Boone county. Capt. Corlew is an official member of the Christian church at Dripping Spring. In politics he is a straightout Democrat. He is very earnest in his convictions and jealous in the discharge of duty. The county of Boone can boast no better citizen than Capt. Corlew, and his township no truer type of honest, conscientious manhood.
Samuel F. Cross was born in Nashville, Tennessee, October 11, 1834. From Nashville he went to Frankfort, Kentucky, and from there to Cincinnati, finally settling in Rush county, Indiana. Was married October 18, 1855, to Edith P., daughter of Philip and Ann Nicholas, of Indiana. Had three children by this marriage, all of whom are living. Their names are: Benjamin F., Louis H., and Edwin P. The first wife dying in 1862, he was married the second time, December 11, 1863, to Susan F., daughter of Robert and Susan F. Adams. They had several children by this marriage, all of whom are living. Their names are: Carrie B., Joel P., Mary E., Sarah, George W., Ellen W., and Fleming Rucker. Mrs. Cross died June 2d, 1880. Mr. Cross came to Sturgeon April 28th, 1857. His first business was carpentering. He afterwards engaged in the drug business, which he followed for about ten years. He was commissioned a notary public in 1864, and has held the office ever since. He is financier of the A.O.U.W., and secretary of the Masonic lolodges. He has been marshal of the town and member of the board of education and city council. He is a Democrat in politics.
Isaac S. Croswhite was born in Audrain county, four miles north of Sturgeon, December 12, 1844. He is the son of John R. and Rosa (Mosely) Croswhite, formerly of Clark county, Kentucky. The subject of this sketch was raised in Audrain county where he lived most of his life. He was brought up on the farm. Lived a few years in Carrollton, Missouri. Was married, July 6, 1869, to Miss Amanda Catherine, daughter of Barnabas Woods, who lived six miles south of Sturgeon. Have one child, living, Minnie L. Mr. Croswhite took no part in the late civil war. He is a member of the Old School Baptist Church. Is not a member of any secret order. He is a clever gentleman, highly esteemed by all who know him.
John H. Croswhite, son of James and Frances (Hughes) Croswhite, was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, August 11th, 1824. He came to Boone county with his parents in the autumn of 1826, and settled five miles north of Columbia, where they remained for about fifteen years. In 1841 they removed to Audrain county, and settled two and a half miles north of Sturgeon. The elder Croswhite died on this farm. Mrs. Croswhite is still living, at the advanced age of eighty-six years. The subject of this sketch was raised on the farm, and has followed that occupation all his life, and with more than usual success. He also bought mules for the Southern market, making his annual drives for many years in succession. Was married December 31st, 1851, to Susan L., daughter of Joshua and Jane Lampton, of Boone county. Lived for two years near Hallsville; then moved to his present place of residence, one and a half miles north of Sturgeon. He went to California in 1864, where he staid [sic] several years. Was also for a while a resident of Carson City, Nevada. The Croswhites were originally from Albemarle county, Virginia, and are believed to be of Welsh descent. The subject of this sketch owns a nice farm of 220 acres, forty of which is in timber. Mrs. Croswhite belongs to the Methodist church at Centralia. They have no children.
William R. Croswhite was born in Audrain county, near Sturgeon, February 27, 1857. He is the son of Robert and Mary (nee Palmer) Croswhite. His father was born in Kentucky, but came to Audrain county in an early day and settled on the farm where he now resides. He is actively engaged in farming and stock raising. William R. was raised on the farm and educated at the common schools of the county. In 1881 he attended D. L. Musselmans Commercial College, Quincy, Illinois, graduating from that institution, August 25, 1881. Returning to Sturgeon, he was engaged as a salesman in the store of Rucker and Turner, which position he now holds. He is a polite, affable gentleman, highly esteemed by all who know him.
Henry Crumbaugh, a prominent business man of Columbia, and one of the pioneer settlers of the place, was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, May 16, 1814. He is the son of John and Mary (Snyder) Crumbaugh; he was raised and educated in his native county, and learned the saddler and harness-makers trade at Lexington, serving an apprenticeship of five years. After completing his trade he came to Columbia, Missouri, and located, opening a shop in the spring of 1838. His first shop was situated on Broadway, where the Exchange Bank now stands. He landed in Columbia without money, possessing only his trade and a laudable resolution to win, which, coupled with industry, prudence, and economy, soon laid the foundation for a successful business. His property was not rapidly accumulated, but surely and steadily, until now in his old age he finds himself the possessor of a handsome estate, earned by the labor of his own hands. For many years he served as Town trustee; he was also city collector for fifteen or sixteen years. He was married April 30, 1840, to Dorothy A., daughter of Col. Richard Gentry. They had three children -- one son and two daughters. Mary A. married J.V.C. Karnes, a prominent lawyer of Kansas City; Dorothy A. married J. H. Lipscomb, also a lawyer of Kansas City; Luther H. married a daughter of Major Harbinson, a prominent lawyer of Southwest Missouri. Mrs. Crumbaugh was born March 13, 1816, and died March 9, 1834. On the 13th of December, 1855, he was married to Mary C. Reynolds, of Columbia, Missouri. They have three children -- James E., city attorney of Columbia, and a promising young lawyer, being a graduate of the literary and law departments of the Missouri State University; Roberta Lee -- named in honor of Gen. Robert E. Lee -- and Mary C. In 1833, Mr. Crumbaugh joined the Presbyterian church at Lexington, Kentucky, under the preaching of Dr. Hall; he was elected an elder of his church in September, 1844. His motto through life has been, Every day something learned; every day something done.^
p. 64 7- WILLIAM HENRY CURTRIGHT
The subject of this sketch is a son of Henry and Elizabeth Curtright, the former of whom was born, lived and died in Kentucky, while the mother was a native of Maryland, though reared in Kentucky. William was born on his fathers farm in Bourbon county, Kentucky, July 2d, 1825. He was the third son and fifth child of a family of five boys and three girls, and was reared and educated in his native State. He came to this State and county in 1852, and located on the farm where Bonne Femme church now stands, and has resided there ever since. Mr. Curtwright has been an extensive stock trader, and his operations in this particular have been in different parts of the land. He is still an importer and breeder of fine cattle. On October 2, 1857, he was married to Miss Catherine Jenkins, a native of Kentucky, and daughter of Theodore Jenkins, of Boone county. They have had two sons and one daughter, the latter of whom died in childhood. Mr. Curtright owns a very fine stock farm of 382 acres, six miles from Columbia, on the gravel road to Ashland. The first owner of this place was Col. McClelland, who settled it and sold to Mr. Theodore Jenkins, from whom Mr. Curtright got the ownership.