p. 1024 - JAMES NICHOLAS DARBY
James Nicholas Darby, druggist, Rocheport, Missouri, was born near Fayette, Missouri, March 11th, 1855. He was raised and educated in Howard county. He remained with his parents, Ira C. and Kittie (nee Long) Darby, for three years after attaining his majority, working on the farm. He left home in 1879 and came to Rocheport where he applied himself to the task of learning the apothecarys business with J. R. Moss. In 1880 he bought out his employer and established himself in the business. In the fall of 1881 he sold a half interest to E. H. Chinn, an old school-mate, who was born and reared in the same neighborhood as himself. The business is now conducted under the firm name of Darby & Chinn. Mr. Darby is an energetic businessman and has a host of friends, both in Boone and Howard. His partner is a popular young physician who is rapidly building up a large and substantial practice. The firm has the confidence and good-will of the public and their future is bright and promising.
Wallace J. Davis, editor and proprietor of the Boone County Sentinel, is a native of this county, having been born in Perche township, April 14, 1850. He is the younger son of Linnaeus and Nancy T. (Weaver) Davis. His father was a native of New York, but emigrated in early youth to Missouri, where he was principally raised and educated. Mrs. Davis is a native of Alabama. The subject of this sketch was reared and educated in Boone county. At the age of twenty he entered the office of the Democratic Banner, published at Fayette, Missouri, by James H. Robinson. He remained with Mr. Robinson over a year. His next engagement was with the Columbia Herald. He afterwards worked on the Columbia Statesman, Cedar City Clarion, and all the papers published at Fulton, Missouri, having served as foreman of the Fairplay and the Mail of that city. In 1874 he worked on the Jefferson City Tribune. The year following he was engaged on the Daily Times, and the Dispatch, then under the management of Stilson Hutchins. In June, 1876, he established the Centralia Sentinel, a Democratic paper, which he soon afterwards removed to Columbia, changing the name to Boone County Sentinel. The first number of the new edition was dated February 4, 1877. The Sentinel has been a fearless, outspoken paper, and has carried the Democratic banner to the front in every political campaign since the day it was started. When it had a preference it did not hesitate to say so. It is believed an aspirant for office unworthy of the support of the party, it proclaimed the fact regardless of consequences. F. F. Davis, brother of Wallace J. Davis, is associated with him in the management of the Sentinel. The subject of this sketch was married May 24, 1880, to Miss Alice, daughter of Charles Ustick, of Dover, Lafayette county, Missouri. They have one son, Kenneth Forrest, born December 5, 1881. Mr. Davis and wife are members of the Methodist Church South. His brother, F. F. Davis, was born July 31, 1842. He is also a member of the Methodist church. The oldest brother, Leander B. Davis, was killed in the Confederate service.
Geo. W. Denham, son of Samuel Denham, a native of Madison county, Kentucky, was born in Boone county, Missouri, November 11th, 1849. His father was an energetic, prosperous farmer, and the son has followed the same avocation, and with like success. Mr. Denham was educated at the common schools, but pursued his studies to better purpose than most young men of like opportunities. Preparing himself for a teacher he engaged in that business and was quite successful. In 1872 he settled on a farm near Midway where he remained until 1877 when he purchased the Stephen Wilhite farm, consisting of 300 acres, where he now resides. He was married in 1872, to Miss Stevie S. Wilhite, daughter of Hon W. R. Wilhite. One child was born to them, a son, whom they called Emmett. Mrs. Denham died in 1874. The child died at the age of eleven months. Mr. Denham is director of his school district and an official member of the Baptist church at Walnut Grove. He is also superintendent of the Sunday school, which he has labored long and zealously to build up. He is an earnest, devoted Christian, upright and faithful in every position of life.
John S. Denham, farmer and stock raiser, was born near the Model Farm, in Boone county, Missouri, June 18th, 1845. His father, Samuel Denham, a native of Kentucky, came to this State in 1830, and settled in Boone county. He lived at intervals in both Boone and Howard, but finally settled permanently in this county, where he died in 1872, at the age of 73. The subject of this sketch was raised in the vicinity of his birthplace, and received his education at private schools in the neighborhood and at Lathrop Academy and Central College, Fayette. In 1863 he attended Jones Commercial College, taking a full course. He afterwards taught mathematics in that institution. In 1865 he was employed as book-keeper by the firm of Hume, Park & Co., Columbia, Missouri, remaining with them two years. He kept books for Clayton, Miller & Co., Rocheport, Missouri, from 1867 to 1878. Leaving this firm in 1878, he returned to the old homestead where he farmed for one year. In 1869 he began teaching. He taught one year at Lathrop Academy and three years at Walnut Grove Academy. His father dying in 1872, he was obliged to abandon teaching and take charge of the estate. He was married, October 3d, 1871, to Miss Meribah, daughter of David Isaacs, of Howard county. They have three children: Butler, Mattie Lou and Katy. Mr. Denham and his wife are members of the Walnut Grove Baptist church, of which he is treasurer. In 1874 he purchased the old homestead of 400 acres, upon which he now lives. He makes cattle and sheep raising a specialty. His cattle are short-horns, and of registered pedigrees. His sheep are thoroughbred Cotswold, imported from Canada in 1876.
Is a son of Allen and Nancy (Turley) Devier; was born May 17, 1818, in Rockingham county, Virginia. He is the third of a family of ten children. His father, Allen Devier, was born in Rockingham county, Virginia, in the year 1787, and died August, 1850. His mother was also a native of the same county and died in 1861. They are buried in the county in which they were born, married and died. Hugh received his education in Augusta and Rockingham counties, Virginia. He lived at home with his parents until he was thirty years of age, when, in the spring of 1848, he came to Boone county, Missouri, and settled on the farm that was bought by his grandfather, Wm. Devier, of Christian county, Kentucky, in 1818, for $2.50 per acre. When Hugh took charge of the place it was a wild timbered tract, never having heard the ring of the ax, or felt the glebe of the plow. By hard work and skilful management it has been transformed into one of the best farms in the county, containing 428 acres, six miles northeast of Columbia, on the range line road. Mr. Devier was a large dealer in cattle and hogs from 1861 to 1880. He was married March 2, 1847, to Miss Aleinda E., daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth (Keller) Miller, from Strasburg, Virginia. By this union they have eight children, five boys and three girls: James William, Sarah V., Jacob A., Hugh J., Mary E., Hiram K., Stonewall J., and Nancy T., and are all living at home except James William, who lives in Denton county, Texas. Himself, wife and four of their children are members of the Missionary Baptist church. His brother, Giles Devier, is editor of the Rockingham Register, of Rockingham county, Virginia, established in 1832.
Prof. Conrad Diehl was born near Landau, Germany, July 16, 1842. His father, Conrad L., was a notary and a leader in the revolution of 1848, for which he forfeited his estate and was sentenced to death. He fled to America and settled in St. Clair county, Illinois. Young Conrad was educated principally at Oakfield, Franklin county, Missouri. At the age of seventeen his father sent him to Munich, Germany, to complete his artistic education. He studied for five years under the most celebrated artists of that city, among whom were Kaulbach and Foltz. It was while attending the art school at Munich that Prof. Diehl produced his celebrated picture, Hamlet, representing the Prince of Denmark in one of his most dramatic attitudes. This picture at once established his reputation as an artist of very high order. He brought this picture with him to America, and presented it to the Chicago Art Association. It was consumed in the great fire of 1871. Prof. Diehl attended the Paris Exposition in 1867, and while there painted another fine picture, Macbeth, which is now in an art collection in St. Louis. In 1871 he went to St. Louis and taught art in the public schools until 1877. While a teacher in that city he introduced a new mode of instruction which became very popular, but was finally driven out by ignorant prejudice. He has since reduced this system to writing, and it is now ready for the press. He thinks his book will revolutionize the study of art in this country. He was at one time president of the Chicago Academy of Design. In 1879 he succeeded Gen. Bingham in the art department of the State University, and has been connected with that institution ever since. He uses no text books. His mode of teaching is wholly practical, and his pupils advance very rapidly. In addition to art, Prof. Diehl possesses a thorough literary education; speaks English, German and French. He was married in Paris, France, to Miss Isabella Dupont, the marriage ceremony being performed by Gen. John A. Dix, then United States minister to France. Mrs. Diehl is also an artist of considerable ability. Specimens of her work may be seen in the art rooms of the University. She is devoted to her husband and her children and has been a great help to him in his chosen profession. They have had seven children, five of whom are living. Their names are Rose, Alice, Felix Conrad, Conrad Lewis and Mignon. Prof. Diehl is not a church member. Mrs. Diehl is a Catholic.
Mr. Dimitt is a Kentuckian, and was born in Bourbon county, that State, January 19th, 1828. He continued to reside in his native county till he was sixteen years old, when he removed with his parents to Howard county, Indiana. In 1847 he came out to Missouri and, at the age of nineteen, began life for himself as a teacher. Subsequently, in 1851, he attended Central College at Fayette, Howard county, Missouri, and was for some time a student of that institution. In 1852 he was employed to teach in the preparatory department of that college, and was there till his coming to Rocheport, this county, the succeeding year. Here, again, he engaged in teaching for a year, and then established himself in the drug business in the same town,. This was in 1854, and he has continued in the same line ever since. In 1864, when the militia burned part of the town of Rocheport, Mr. Dimitts store was burned, as, being a Southern sympathizer, he could not, of course, escape that disaster. On the 20th of October, 1852, he married Miss Sarah E. McDonald, of Howard county, Missouri. They have three living children: Emma, wife of Professor Singleton, principal of the Orange College, Texas; Frank C., clerk in his fathers store; and Dixie L., still living with her father. Mr. Dimitt and wife are both members of the M.E. Church, South, and he also belongs to the Masonic fraternity, with membership in Rocheport lodge, No. 67, A.F. & A.M.
Was one of a family of ten children, all of whom lived to be fathers and mothers of families. Joshua Dimmitt, the father of William, was the son of Richard Dimmitt, a native of Maryland. The subject of this sketch was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, April 26th, 1817. He moved with his parents to Indiana, where he resided for sixteen years. He returned to Kentucky and married Miss Harriet Talbott, who died in about one year after the marriage. His second wife was Miss Margaret M. Long, daughter of Judge T. A. Long. There were eight children born of this marriage, four daughters and four sons. One son died in infancy. Rev. Thomas F. Dimmitt is a minister of the M. E. Church South. He is now a member of one of the Texas conferences. Sarah E. married Louis Hoffman, county attorney for Gasconade county, Missouri. George W. is in the lumber business at Lathrop, Clinton county, Missouri. Harriet married Alexander M. Cochran, of Clinton county. One son and two daughters are still with their parents. When Mr. Dimmitt came to Boone county, in 1861, his position was rather unpleasant owing to the bitter feelings growing out of the war. His neighbors were intensely Southern in sentiment and slow to believe that people coming from a Northern State could be other than Union sympathizers, and to that extent enemies of the South. Their disappointment, to say the least, was most pleasurable. The Dimmits were Methodists and in hearty accord with their brethren. The parents of Mrs. Dimmitt are still living. Her father is eighty-seven, her mother eighty-four. They have been living as man and wife for sixty-three years.
The subject of this sketch is the son of Samuel and Patsy (McBride) Dinwiddie, and was born in Lincoln county, Kentucky, May 11th, 1839. His parents were natives of Kentucky, and emigrated to Boone county, Missouri, when James was about a year old, and settled the place upon which his son Samuel is now living, about four miles east of Columbia. Samuel Dinwiddie was a tanner by trade, but followed farming after he came to Missouri until his death in 1865. His wife, our subjects mother, died in 1868, and they are buried upon the old homestead. They had nine children. James McBride has lived in Boone county all his life, save one year spent in Illinois during the war. He was educated in the country schools principally, going one term to the University. He was married May 11th, 1862, to Miss Kate, daughter of William Moseley. By this union they have had nine children: William S., Mary Irene, Clara Moseley, John, Julia, Ella, James, Charles and Thomas. Mr. and Mrs. Dinwiddie are members of the Christian church, and he is a member of the Knights of Honor at Columbia. He is of Scotch-Irish descent, and a life-long Democrat. Has farmed all his life, and been quite successful. He has a fine farm, and is accounted one of the substantial citizens of the county.
The subject of this sketch is the son of Samuel and Patsy (McBride) Dinwiddie. He was born in Boone county, Missouri, October 25th, 1845. He was educated at the district schools, attending the old brick school house, four miles east of Columbia, and what was known as the Old White school house, four miles southeast of Columbia. Mr. Dinwiddie was married November 11th, 1868, to Hettie, daughter of Wm. H. and Missouri Hickam Garrett, of Linn county, Missouri. He is a farmer, and has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. He resides on the old farm bought by his father in 1840, situated on the Columbia and Cedar creek rock road. He is a member of the Olivet Christian church. His wife, who died May 21st, 1882, was a member of the same church.
William Dinwiddie is the son of Samuel and Patsy (McBride) Dinwiddie. He was born in Lincoln county, Kentucky, December 18, 1833. When six years old he came with his parents to Boone county, Missouri, and settled four miles east of Columbia, where he continuously resided up to the day of his death, which occurred about the close of the war. The subject of this sketch was brought up on a farm, and has followed that business since attaining his majority. He was married, November 8, 1855, to Sarah Ann, daughter of Cyrus and Kittie (Crockett) Lusk, natives of Kentucky. The autumn following his marriage, he left Boone county, Missouri, previously the home of both himself and wife, and went to Kansas, settling in the vicinity of Topeka. Was there when the war broke out between the Southern and Northern settlers over the slavery question. He returned to Boone County and farmed in the vicinity of Mt. Moriah church for several years; then moved to Bourbon township just previous to the war, where he has lived ever since. They have seven children, three sons and four daughters. Their names are Kittie, Mattie F., Lulie, Emma, William, Alonzo and Edwin. Mr. Dinwiddie is a well-educated man, having had, in addition to a fair common school education, the benefit of three years study at the State University. He is a member of the Christian Church. Mrs. Dinwiddie is a member of the Baptist Church. He is also a member of the Order of United Workmen. He has been a school director ever since he came to Bourbon township. He has always voted with the Democratic party. He is Scotch and German origin.
Mr. Dodson is a native of Missouri, and was born in Howard county, near New Franklin, September 7th, 1842. He continued to reside with his parents till he was nineteen, receiving his education in the schools of New Franklin, and at Central College, in Fayette. On leaving home, in 1861, he went to Springfield, Illinois, where he was variously employed till 1866, when he returned to Missouri, locating at Rocheport. Here he was employed, in 1868, as a clerk in the store of J. W. Morris, remaining with him till 1870. He was then taken in by his employer as a partner in the concern, George Calvert also coming in, the style being Dodson, Calvert & Co. They discontinued the business in 1872, and Mr. Dodson formed a partnership with William M. Ridgeway for the grocery business, in which line they continued at Rocheport till 1876. They then sold out and went into the livery business, in which they are still engaged, running a daily stage line to Columbia. Mr. Dodson was married, December 18th, 1863, to Miss Clara Wheeler, daughter of Henderson Wheeler, one of the oldest settlers of Boone county. They have one child, a daughter, named Annie. Himself and wife are both members of the Christian Church, and he belongs, also to the Boone lodge, No. 121, I.O.O.F., of which he has passed through all the chairs, and is now the treasurer.
Jere. Spires Dorsey is a native of Nicholas county, Kentucky, where he was born November 11th, 1834. He lived in his native county and at Mt. Sterling until he was nineteen years old. He was educated at Mt. Sterling under the instructions of Hugh B. Todd, an eminent teacher, afterwards principal at Camden Point Academy, Platte county, Missouri. In 1854 Mr. Dorsey came to Columbia, where he started the first hardware store in the place. In 1857 he took in Dick Carter as partner. Continued the business until 1862, when he was banished by order of Gen. Merrill. Went to Cincinnati, where he was engaged to sell hardware as a commercial traveller. Returned to Columbia in 1863 and engaged in the dry goods business with Samuel, Conley & Strawn. In 1864 went to St. Louis and engaged in selling hardware as a commercial traveller. In the fall of 1865 returned to Columbia and bought the drug store of Swallow & Gilman, in which business he has continued ever since, adding a jewelry department in 1867. Was the first railroad agent in Columbia, receiving his appointment in 1867, holding the position for one year. He established the first insurance agency in the county in 1854, representing the Home, of New York. He also sold the first reaper and mower. The purchasers were Messrs. Beatty & Simmons, and the reaper one of the Atkins patent. He was first express agent for Richardsons Express Company at Columbia, appointed in 1857. Afterwards was agent for the United States Company, and the Merchants Union, filling the office of express agent continuously for fifteen years. He has been president of the Boone County Insurance Company since its organization in 1875. He is curator, trustee and treasurer of Christian College. September 10th, 1857, Mr. Dorsey was married to Miss Margaret, daughter of Samuel W. Williams, of Kentucky. They have six children living and one dead. Mr. and Mrs. Dorsey are both members of the Christian church.
James Monroe Douglass is the youngest son of Henry L. and Susan (Jacobs) Douglass, pioneer settlers of Boone county. He was born on the Douglass homestead, where he now lives, March 9th, 1852. His father bequeathed the home place to him in 1882, a short time previous to his death, in consideration of the latters maintenance of his widowed mother and invalid sister. He is a thrifty farmer, and is held in high esteem by his neighbors. His father, Henry L. Douglass, deceased, was born in St. Louis county, Missouri, February 15th, 1810, where he lived with his parents until he was ten years old, when they came to Boone county and settled at Locust Grove, now known as Midway, where he was raised. He remained with his parents until his marriage to Miss Susan Jacobs, December 20th, 1832, when he commenced working for himself as a farmer, having purchased a small farm on Perche Creek, near where the Columbia and Rocheport road crosses that stream. He remained on this farm until 1837, when he purchased the homestead now occupied by his son, James Monroe, containing 480 acres, four miles southeast of Rocheport, where he lived until his death, March 27th, 1882. Mrs. Douglass survives him. They have six living children: William G. and Joseph A., farmers, of Missouri township; Virgie, wife of C. M. Boggs, and Lizzie, wife of C. G. Boggs, both of Missouri township, and Fannie and James, who are living on the home place. Mr. Douglas had, by rare energy and good management, accumulated considerable property. He was charitable and generous, a kind neighbor and a devoted Christian, being for many years a member of the Locust Grove Methodist Church South. He united with the church in 1837.
Gen. Joseph Beeler Douglass was born in Mercer (now Boyle) county, Kentucky, November 12th, 1819. His father, William Douglass, was a native of Maryland, born in 1775, died in Boone county, Missouri, June 3d, 1843. He came to this county in 1827, and settled near Harrisburg, where he lived out the remainder of his days. Gen. Douglass remained on his fathers farm until 1848, when he came to Columbia as deputy sheriff under Wm. P. Hickman. In 1850 he was elected sheriff and in 1852 was re-elected. In 1856 he was elected to the Legislature with Col. William F. Switzler. In 1859 was elected clerk of the county court, which office he was holding when the war commenced. In 1862 was commissioned colonel of the Sixty-first E.M.M. The year following he was commissioned a brigadier-general by Gov. Hall, and assigned to the Eighth military district, embracing several counties in this part of Missouri. Left the service in 1865. He was of much service to the citizens of this county, protecting their lives and property. Was severe on men in arms, especially bushwhackers, but guarded the rights of non-combatants. After the war (in 1866) he was appointed United States assessor of the Fourth district, which position he held for two years. Afterwards followed the nursery business, at the same time acting as general agent of the horticultural department of the State University. He is now living in Columbia. Gen. Douglass was married in 1849 to Miss Nannie Wirt, of Boone county. She died in 1875. They had six children, of whom only two are now living, Joseph L. and Fannie D. Two children died in infancy. One son, William Wirt, a graduate of medicine, died in 1877, aged twenty-three years. Mary A. died in 1882, aged twenty-eight. She was a graduate of Christian College, and possessed a bright intellect and fine culture. She excelled in music and mathematics, and was quite proficient in all the accomplishments that constitute a refined and cultivated lady. She was universally loved by all who had the pleasure of her acquaintance, and her death cast a gloom over the entire community. Gen. Douglass is a member of the Methodist Church South.
The subject of this biographical sketch is the son of Alexander Douglass, a prominent citizen of Columbia and for many years identified with the business interest of the people among whom he lived and died. He was a native of Harrison county, Kentucky, where he was born and reared to the age of twelve years, when he came to Columbia, Missouri, where he spent the remainder of his life in active business, dying in February, 1866. In October, 1851, he was married to Ann M. Shannon, eldest daughter of Rev. James Shannon, LL.D., then president of the State University. Five children were born of this marriage: Shannon C., William H., Alex. E., Fannie B., and Mary Evalina Douglass, all of whom are now living. The subject of this sketch was born December 29, 1852. He entered the State University in early youth and graduated in June, 1870. Although but eighteen years of age, he received the degree of Bachelor of Arts, and was chosen valedictorian of his class. Two months later he commenced reading law with Gen. Odon Guitar, and remained in his office for about five years. In the spring of 1871 he was appointed town attorney, at which time he was licensed a member of the bar. Was city attorney for four years in succession. In June, 1873, he graduated in the law department of the State University, taking the degree of Bachelor of Laws; also the degree of Master of Arts. He was elected prosecuting attorney for Boone county, November, 1874, and was reelected three times in succession, holding the office from January 1, 1875, to January 1, 1881. At the State Democratic convention, July 1878, Mr. Douglass was made a member of the Democratic State central committee, for the eleventh congressional district. In 1880 he was reelected and chosen chairman. Declined a reelection at the State convention in July, 1882. Previous to resigning this position he addressed the convention, making an able, logical and eloquent appeal in behalf of unity and harmony within the party and excoriating the malcontents and traitors, who had twice betrayed the party in the hour of greatest peril. Mr. Douglass was married, September 8, 1880, to Miss Hattie H., daughter of Col. William E. Burr, of St. Louis. One child, William Burr, was born to them, May 28, 1882. Mr. Douglass has been a member of the Christian church since he was eleven years old. He united with the Masonic order, December, 1878. Mr. Douglass is thorough in his profession, and as an advocate he has, perhaps, no superior of his age in the country. His profound knowledge of the law, his earnest, candid, logical mode of speaking, coupled with an excellent knowledge of human nature, gives him remarkable prestige at the bar and generally insures a victory for his client, even under the most unfavorable circumstances. He has already accomplished more than the average professional man achieves in a lifetime, yet in the order of nature and according to the rules that govern human life and effort his career of usefulness has just commenced.
Joseph Hudson Drummond was born October 29, 1853, near Zanesville, Ohio. He is the son of Samuel Baxter and Mary Jane (Tingle) Drummond. The Drummond family is of Scottish origin. Mrs. D.s family was from the Isle of Guernsey. S. B. Drummond was a native of Pennsylvania, from which State he removed to Ohio in an early day, and from thence to Johnson county, Missouri, in 1869. He was a merchant in Ohio, and a farmer in Missouri. He died July 4, 1876, on Independence day of the centennial year. Mrs. Drummond is still living in Johnson county. The subject hereof had received a good education for a young man prior to his coming to Missouri, but he attended the University at Columbia and graduated therefrom in the class of 1880. He obtained the means to defray the expenses of his education by engaging in well-boring. In April, 1880, he was appointed librarian and proctor of the University, which position he still worthily fills. He was tendered a position on the U. S. coast survey, but preferred to accept his present position, whose multifarious duties he fulfils to universal and complete satisfaction.
Alonzo T. Duncan was born in Boone county, Missouri, December 18, 1845. Was educated at the common schools of Columbia and at the State University. Served an apprenticeship of three years at the cabinet makers trade under T. E. Powers and followed the business for four years, then went to Litchfield, Illinois, in 1864, and remained there one year. Came back to Columbia and went to work for Ruckel & McAlister, builders and contractors, as foreman in their establishment. Was with this firm for three years. He was next employed as foreman by Kneisley & Lukens, contractors and builders, and remained with them three years. He then formed a partnership with J. D. Stewart in the same line of business. In 1874 he went to St. Louis and acted as foreman for Dryden & Reid, builders. Remaining with this firm one year. Came back to Columbia in 1875 and built the R. B. Price residence. In 1876 went into the furniture business with Lukens, under the firm name of Duncan & Lukens. Remained in this business for two years, when he sold out and went back to the old business of contracting and building, under the firm name of Duncan & McDaniel. In 1880 they dissolved partnership and Mr. Duncan followed the business alone for a short time. In July, 1881, he formed a partnership with B. F. Stewart, for building and contracting in Columbia and Boone county. They built the public school building, for which they received twelve thousand dollars; also the elevator and the Whittle building, besides many other business houses and private residences in Columbia and vicinity. The firm has built up a reputation second to none in the country, and their work shows for itself both in style, quality and durability. Mr. Duncan was married, June 30, 1875, to Miss Annie, daughter of Frederick Scragg. They have one son and one daughter, Permelia and Frederick.
Hon. Henry Dusenbury was born on the banks of the Hudson river, New York, in which State he was reared to manhood, and married to Miss M. E. Depew. After his marriage he removed to St. Louis, Missouri, where he served as circuit court judge for thirteen years. His health having failed he removed to a farm near Oakland, St. Louis county, where he remained for about twelve years. He next moved to a farm near Sturgeon, where he and his wife died a few years afterwards. They were both members of the Methodist church. Judge Dusenbury was also a Mason. He was educated principally at home, under the instructions of a private tutor. He was a Democrat in politics and a descendant of one of the old German families of New York. He had nine children in all, six of whom are now living -- three sons and three daughters. Their names are Henry; Mary E, married to G. W. Henderson, of Columbia, Missouri; Lulu V.B., married to R. D. Rucker; Fannie; Robert D.; and R.M. Robert D. Dusenbury was born at Oakland, St. Louis county, February 10th, 1861, and came with his father to Boone county and lived with him until his death, in 1873. He was educated at the Missouri State University. After receiving a diploma from that institution he took a commercial course and then studied telegraphy. R. M. Dusenbury is studying medicine under Dr. Lockridge, of Sturgeon. He attended one course of lectures at the Medical College, St. Louis, in 1881-82, and will graduate at the ensuing term of that institution.
James C. Dysart, son of Madison and Maria (Cowan) Dysart, was born in Callaway county, Missouri, September 21st, 1836. He came to Boone county with his parents in 1838. He was educated at the common schools of the county, and worked on the farm until 1857, when he was engaged as a salesman at Burlington by J. C. Thompson. The business was afterwards moved to Sturgeon, and he continued with Thompson for a while. Then he formed a partnership with a man named Croswhite, in the dry goods business. He continued with Croswhite until 1861, when the partnership was dissolved, and he continued the business along until 1864, when he sold out and removed to Helena, Montana Territory, where he opened a grocery store. He went by steamer from St. Louis. On the way the vessel sunk near Omaha. His family then returned home, while he continued his journey on board another steamer. He landed at Helena City July 12th, 1865, and opened a grocery store which he ran until September of that year. He also engaged in mining, having an interest in a quartz mill. Leaving Helena in September, he went to Fort Benton. There he took passage on a flat-boat for Sioux City, Iowa, and from there to St. Joseph, Missouri, travelled by stage. Returning to Boone county, he engaged in farming near Hallsville in 1867. He continued in the business for about a year, when he came to Browns Station and engaged in the general mercantile business under the firm name of Dysart & Turner. One year later the firm was dissolved, Mr. Dysart buying Turners interest in the business. He ran the store alone for one year, when he took W. A. Goodding in partnership, the firm name being Dysart & Goodding. Two years later Mr. Dysart bought out Mr. Gooddings interest, and has since conducted the business alone. He has a good trade, and is doing well. In connection with the store he is running a saw and grist mill, in partnership with James L. Henry. Mr. Dysart was married January 4th, 1849, to Miss Mary E., daughter of Lewis and Sallie (Barnes) Reid, daughter of Elder James Barnes. By this union they have eight children, five sons and three daughters, six of whom are living. One of the sons, George R., received severe injuries while raking hay, August 5th, 1882, from which he died the day following.