p. 715 - SAMUEL W. EARLY
Mr. Early is a native of West Virginia, born in Monroe county, September 26th, 1835. He is a son of Andrew C. and Elizabeth (Nickell) Early, who were both natives of the Old Dominion. In the year 1842 his parents removed to Callaway county, Mo., where he grew to manhood, being engaged on his fathers farm the greater portion of his time, and attending the subscription schools of his neighborhood when opportunity offered. In 1855 Mr. Early removed to Audrain county, where he followed farming until 1863, when he located to Mexico, and afterward engaged in merchandising. By the great fire of March, 1872, Mr. Early was damaged to the extent of several thousands of dollars. He has since been engaged in the insurance and real estate business. During the last two years he has sold over 300,000 acres of land. (?) Mr. Early was the leading merchant of the place when he was in business, although he started in trade with a very small capital. August 26th, 1857, Mr. Early married Miss Ruth E. Leach, daughter of Wm. Leach, Esq., of Audrain county, one of the early settlers of that county. They have had born to them twelve children, nine of whom are living, viz.: Josephine E., Annie P., Charles H., Ella, Sallie A., Florence, Henrietta, William W. and Francis M. Mr. Early has been a member of the Christian church since 1855, and an elder for ten years. He has been a member of the Masonic order for about twenty-five years. He has been one of the town trustees for about seven years, and a justice of the peace for ten years. During the period that he was a justice of the peace he had but three of his decisions reversed by higher courts.
Richard H. Edmonds, salesman with Rucker & Turner, Sturgeon, Missouri, was born in Fauquier county, Virginia, September 25th, 1845. He is the son of Thomas and Alice Olivia (nee Beal) Edmonds. Though but a boy when the war commenced, he enlisted in Captain William H. Paynes company, which was a portion of Turner Ashbys famous Black Horse Cavalry. His captain was afterwards promoted to the position of general. His next captain was Robert Randolph, and the third was A. D. Payne. He was in the first battle at Manassas, also at Seven Pines, and in the famous raid around McClellans army near Richmond. Was in the second battle at Manassas, and at Sharpsburg and Brandy Station. Was with Gen. Early in his campaign in the Valley of Virginia, and at Gettysburg. He was in Stewarts second raid around the Federal army in Maryland. Was in the battle of Spottsylvania Court House, and at Yellow Tavern, where Gen. J.E.B. Stuart was killed, also the captain of the company in which Mr. Edmonds was serving. Was in the battles around Petersburg, finally surrendering at Appomattox Court House, in 1865. There were but about twenty-five of his original command left. Mr. Edmonds received a terrible wound at Harpers Ferry, being shot through the left breast with a minie ball. He was with Mosby at the time. Mr. Edmonds was the youngest of five brothers, all of whom entered the Confederate army. One of them was killed at Seven Pines, and the subject of this sketch, and two other brothers were severely wounded. When the war closed he returned home and raised a crop. The next season they sold out, and Mr. Edmonds went into the mercantile business in Alexandria, as a salesman, remaining there two years. He then took charge of a store at Linden, Virginia, where he remained in the store for about two years, when he removed to Harrisburg and commenced business for himself in partnership with a man named Rowland. Their store was destroyed by fire and Mr. Edmonds removed to Columbia, where he engaged in business with a man named Campbell, also with the firm of Wells & Marks. Remained two years and Columbia and then returned to Sturgeon and resumed his former position in the store of Rucker & Turner, which he still holds, being head clerk and manager of the establishment. He was married, February 13th, 1872, to Miss Annie M., daughter of James P. and Sallie L. Harris, natives of Bourbon county, Kentucky. They have two children, Hattie May and Ida Lyell. Mrs. Edmonds is a member of the Methodist Church South. Mr. Edmonds is a member of the city council. He is also a member of the Ancient Order United Workmen. He is a genial, affable gentleman, possessing every qualification of a first-class business man.
Samuel H. Elkins is the son of Philip and Sarah (Withers) Elkins. He was born in Henry county, Missouri, April 13th, 1847, and was educated at Westford High School, Jackson county, Missouri, completing his studies at the State University. From 1850 to 1861 his father resided at Westford, Missouri. In the latter year he crossed the plains to Fort Lyons, where he stayed one winter, returning to Missouri in the spring. In the fall of 1862 they removed to Santa Fe, New Mexico. The subject of this sketch then went to Mesilla, where he clerked in a dry goods and grocery store. Remained there about eighteen months. He went from there to Fort Union, where he was engaged in the quartermasters department. In the spring of 1864 he came to Kansas City, where he attended Spauldings Commercial College for about twelve months, then returned to New Mexico, and was engaged as government store-keeper at Mora, Mora county. Was there a year and a half. In 1868-9 he and his brother, John T. Elkins, ran a cattle ranche [sic] on the Pecos river. Was afterwards with Commissioner John Hiltson, who was employed by the United States government and Mexico to hunt up cattle that had been stolen by the Mexicans during the war. They succeeded in restoring eight thousand six hundred head of cattle. In 1874 Mr. Elkins came to Columbia, and attended the University for two years. In 1880 he entered the grocery trade in Columbia, and followed the business for about eighteen months. Was married, October 17th, 1878, to Miss Isa Smith, formerly of Harrison county, Kentucky. They have two children, a son, Philip D., and a daughter, Hattie M. Mr. Elkins father is in Santa Fe, New Mexico, His mother died in Nebraska City. There were six children, five sons and one daughter. The three oldest are living. Stephen B. is a large capitalist of New York City. He graduated at the Missouri State University in 1860, at the age of eighteen. He formerly represented New Mexico in Congress. He has been twice married. His last wife is the daughter of Senator Davis, of West Virginia. John T. Elkins is living in Kansas City. He is also a capitalist, and largely interested in Western mines. He married a daughter of Dr. Hereford, of Kansas City. The subject of this sketch is the youngest of the family. His wife is a member of the Christian church.
The subject of this sketch is the son of Hiram Elliott, of Boyle county, Kentucky, where he was born December 30th, 1846. He was the youngest of five children. He was principally raised in Boone county, Missouri. He married Miss Fannie Bryson, daughter of Solomon Bryson. They have two sons and two daughters. Mr. Elliott is now living on a small farm, which he owns, one-half mile from Centralia. He is a member of the Missionary Baptist church.
The subject of this sketch was one of the pioneer settlers of Boone county. He was a soldier in the war of 1812, and at the age of nineteen participated in the battle of New Orleans. In 1818 he was married to Elizabeth White, who, like himself, was a native of Kentucky. The year after their marriage they emigrated to Missouri, settling in Boone county. At first he rented a portion of the land now included in the Model Farm, where he remained until 1828, when he bought a farm on Callahams [sic] creek, where he lived for five years. In 1833 he purchased the old Elliott homestead, containing 217 acres, situated on the Columbia and Rocheport turnpike, two miles east of Rocheport. Here he remained until his death, which occurred September 25th, 1869. At the time of his death he was sixty-four years old. Mr. Elliott was a stone mason, and is said to have built the first stone house ever erected in Boone county. This dwelling was built for Joseph Little, in 1828, and is still standing. He also built, for Dr. George Wilcox, the first brick house in Rocheport. In 1831 he crossed the plains to Mexico with wagons, carrying dry goods and groceries to Santa Fe. He was one of the original members of the Walnut Grove Baptist Church, remaining a faithful member of the congregation up to the day of his death.
Smith Elliott, the father of William, came from Garrett [prob. Garrard] county, Kentucky, in 1825, and settled near Rocheport in this county. He afterwards removed to the Perche bottom, seven miles east of Rocheport, where he died, in 1846. The subject of this sketch was born in Boone county, March 4th, 1832. His mothers name was Margaret Hutcheson, also a native of Garrett [sic] county, Kentucky. Young Elliott was in early life strongly impressed with a desire to travel, and when gold was discovered in California he was among the first to cross the plains, being ninety-six days on the road. Spent two years in California; then went to Panama, and from there to Cuba; thence to New York. He then returned home. Having satisfied his curiosity for travelling he was now content to remain at home during the rest of his life. He was first married December 28th, 1853, to Miss Amanda, daughter of John G. and Delina Cochran, who lived near Rocheport, Boone county, Missouri. One child, now dead, was born of this marriage, and named Louvena. Was married the second time, April 6th, 1869, to Mahala, daughter of William and Winnifred Christian. No children were born of this marriage. After the close of the war Mr. Elliott spent one year at Hamricks Station, Putnam county, Indiana. During his stay at that place was made postmaster, by President Johnson. He is a member of the Methodist church. Mrs. Elliott is a Baptist.
Abraham Ellis is the son of Peter Ellis, a native of Virginia, and Eleanor Patterson, a native of North Carolina. The Pattersons and Ellises emigrated to Missouri about the same time and settled in St. Louis county, where Peter Ellis and Eleanor Patterson were married. The subject of this sketch was born on his fathers farm, December 5th, 1807. He was the second son and second child of a family of six sons and four daughters. In the fall of 1818 he moved with his parents to Boone county, pitching their tent, on the night of October 1st, just two miles south of where Mr. Ellis now lives. Commenced business for himself in 1829, but remained with his father several years, conducting business in partnership at home and on a stock ranch in Arkansas. In 1840 commenced farming on the east side of Two-mile Prairie, where he lived until the year 1858, when he moved to the place where he now lives. For twenty-eight years he has been engaged in the mule trade, buying in Missouri and selling in the South, principally at Bastrop, Louisiana. Mr. Ellis farm is situated nine miles south of Columbia. He has 700 acres in a high state of cultivation. He was married, April 21st, 1836, to Miss Rutha H. Young, daughter of Edward Young, of Cedar township. They have one child, a daughter, who married Lawrence Bass, of this county. He is a member of the New Salem Baptist Church.
Elisha Patterson Ellis, one of the most substantial farmers of Boone county, and a man of superior intelligence and energy, was born in St. Louis county, Missouri, September 11th, 1817. His parents were Peter and Eleanor (Patterson) Ellis. They left St. Louis county the year after Elisha was born, and settled on the farm now known as the William Bass place, two and one-half miles north of Ashland, Boone county, Missouri. The elder Ellis was successful in life, being able, at his death, to give each of his ten children a farm of 160 acres of excellent land. Elisha Ellis was reared on the home place, remaining with his parents until he was twenty-five years old. He availed himself of every opportunity to procure an education, and when he went forth in the world to work out his own destiny he was well prepared for the duties of life. In 1841 he came in possession of the farm upon which he now lives. Except the dwelling, which he afterwards enlarged, the land was unimproved. He moved to this place in the spring of 1843, having the year previous married Mary Jane Sheley, sister of Judge Sheley, of Independence, Missouri. Mr. Ellis has lived on this farm since settling it, except two years, from the spring of 1873 to 1875, spent in the commission business with the firm of Godlove & Ellis, St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Ellis was married to Mrs. Mary Jacobs, of Holden, Johnson county, Missouri, formerly a native of Clark county, Kentucky. Mr. Ellis was for many years general of militia. Has been a member of New Salem Baptist church for forty years. Since 1840, Gen. Ellis has been steadily engaged in the mule trade, buying work mules and taking them South. His farm consists of 320 acres, situated four miles northeast of Ashland and fifteen miles southeast of Columbia, in one of the richest and most beautiful sections of this country.
James McAllister Ellis is the fifth son and eighth child of Peter and Eleanor Ellis. He was born in Boone county, Missouri, May 27th, 1821, and was educated at the common schools of the county. Grew to manhood on his fathers farm. At the age of eighteen commenced trading in mules. Took his first lot of 160 to Mississippi, in 1854, and has been South annually, with the exception of a few years when trade was dull, and during the war, when there was no trade at all. Mr. Ellis has a fine farm of 760 acres nine miles northeast of Ashland and ten miles southeast of Columbia. He was married in Callaway county, December 9th, 1852, to Martha J. Glasgow, daughter of Nathan Glasgow, of Millersburg. By this marriage they had two sons and two daughters, of whom but one daughter is now living. Mr. Ellis is a member of the New Salem Baptist church, also of the Ashland lodge of A.F. & A.M.
John Ellis is the oldest son and second child of Peter and Eleanor (Patterson) Ellis. He was born in St. Louis county, Missouri, December 10, 1805, and came with his parents to Boone county in 1818. He was educated at the Bonne Femme Academy, completing his studies in 1828; was married March 17, 1831, to Catharine Doyle, oldest daughter of Dr. David Doyle. He then moved to a farm adjoining his fathers, where he lived until 1834. In the fall of that year he bought and moved to the farm he now occupies, consisting of 400 acres on the Two-Mile Prairie, five miles northeast of Ashland and twelve miles southeast of Columbia. He had two sons and three daughters, of whom but one is now living -- Mrs. Field, of Denver, Colorado. In 1860 his son, William P., then in his twenty-seventh year, was burned to death in his store at Providence. He was a graduate of the University, and a young man of bright promise, and his horrible death was universally lamented. In 1837-8 Mr. Ellis commanded a company under Col. Richard Gentry, in the Florida war. The next year he was commissioned a colonel, and had command of a regiment under marching orders from Governor Boggs. This was during the Mormon insurrection. He was preparing to start with his regiment to the Mexican war, but was prevented by the illness of his wife, who died August 25, 1846. He was one of the first curators of the University. Of his colleagues, all are dead but one. He served as public administrator for ten years; was justice of the peace from 1844 to 1878. He now holds a commission as notary public. Few men in Boone county have been more active in public affairs, or disposed of more business, and none perhaps have come nearer rendering general satisfaction.
The subject of this sketch was born in Botetourt county, Virginia, April 1, 1778. He went with his fathers family to Greenbrier county, and thence to Hawkins county, Tennessee. In 1800 he went to the Sciota Salt Works, and from there to St. Louis, which was then under Spanish rule. He was married on a sand bar near St. Charles, to Miss Eleanor Patterson, a Catholic priest officiating. Mr. Ellis moved to Boone county in 1818, where he lived until his death, January 27, 1849. They had ten children -- six sons and four daughters -- several of whose biographies appear in this volume.
Peter Ellis is the youngest of ten children born to Peter and Eleanor Ellis, pioneer settlers, and was born in Boone county, August 19th, 1826, where he was raised and educated. Was married October 12th, 1848, to Miss Sallie Mosely [sic], daughter of William Moseley [sic], who settled in Boone county in 1827. Two sons were born of this marriage, one of whom died in infancy the other when nearly grown, The first wife having died in 1852, Mr. Ellis was married in 1861 to Miss Amanda Moseley, sister of the first wife. By this marriage they have had four sons and three daughters, all of whom are now living. Mr. Ellis has been actively engaged in the mule trade since 1854, and has not failed taking a drove South every year except during the war. He has been a member of New Salem Baptist church since 1842.
The father of David M. Emmitt was born in Pennsylvania, but has spent the most of his life in Ohio, where he now lives. His mother, Louisa Martin, was a native of Ohio. David M. was born in Waverly, Ohio, November 10th, 1843. He was the fifth of a family of six sons, four of whom are now living. Except David M., they are all citizens of Ohio. The elder Emmitt is a banker, miller, and distiller. The subject of this sketch was reared in Ohio and educated at Delaware College, graduating in 1863. After leaving college he commenced business, buying grain for his father, at Circleville, Ohio. In the fall of 1866 he went to Europe with his parents and a younger brother. He remained there one year, pursuing his studies at Frankfort-on-the-Main. In 1867, he returned to the United States, and went into the milling and distilling business with his brother, at Chillicothe, Ohio, under the firm name of Emmitt Brothers, continuing in this business for five years, when he sold out and came to Boone county, Missouri. In 1872 he bought the Rockbridge mill property, consisting of mill, distillery, store and 800 acres of land. He was commissioned a postmaster in 1875, which position he held until 1881, when he resigned. Mr. Emmitt was married at Circleville, Ohio, May 8th, 1867, to Miss Mary L., daughter of Rev. John Wagenhals, who is still living, at Lancaster, Ohio, and is probably the oldest German Lutheran minister in the State. They have had four sons and two daughters, of whom two sons and two daughters are living. The eldest son died unnamed. William Henry died in infancy. The living are Edwin, Flora, John and Katie. In 1863 Mr. Emmitt joined the parties in pursuit of John Morgan, in his famous raid through Ohio, and took an active part in the several skirmishes that took place during that exciting campaign. He is now permanently located in Boone county, and thoroughly identified with its. interests.
This gentleman, though now numbered with the dead, will be remembered by many as an old settler of Boone county. Mr. Estes was the son of Richard Estes, of Virginia, and was born in Spottsylvania county, of that State, in 1797, and resided in his native State during youth. He came to this State and county in 1827, having been reared and educated in Virginia, where he was also married. On February 5th, 1826, he was married to Miss Malinda Estes, and on her death, was a second time married to Miss Mary Smith, April 24th, 1839. He was by trade a brick-layer, though he farmed for many years after coming to Missouri. He bought a farm in this county, three miles southeast of Columbia, on the Cedar Creek road. When the War of 12 came on, Mr. Estes was just of the suitable age to take part in that brief struggle against England, and he served his country faithfully under Commodore Barry. By his first wife he had five children, four daughters and a son, of whom only one -- Margaret E., wife of John R. Boulton -- is living at this writing. By the second marriage, Mr. Estes was the father of three boys and one girl, of whom William B., and R. S. Estes still survive. Mr. Estes departed this life, July 29th, 1869, and he and his wife are both buried in the family burying ground on the old homestead.
Is the son of Berkley Estes, deceased, and was born in Boone county May 27th, 1847. He was educated in his native county, and was married, April 6th, 1869, to Cordelia, daughter of John and Margaret Carlisle. He has followed farming and stock raising and is living on the old homestead. The farm contains 257 acres, mostly in grass. Mr. and Mrs. Estes have six children, three boys and three girls, all living at this writing. He and wife are both members of the Olivet Christian church. There is a splendid coal bank on his farm of a good quality, which will of course be fully worked at some future time. A stream of clear water, called Limestone Creek, runs through his place and affords abundant water for his stock.
Major Evans is the son of Green and Mary (Westlake) Evans, and was born April 7th, 1834, in Boone county, Missouri, nine miles west of Columbia and three and one-half miles east of Rocheport. His father was born in Madison county, Kentucky, and came to Howard county, Missouri, in 1816, and died in 1844, three miles east of Rocheport, on the homestead where Frank was born, in the thirty-seventh year of his age, and is buried at the Brick Chapel. His mother is from Point Pleasant, West Virginia. She is still living in Callaway county, Missouri, at the age of sixty-nine. They were married in Boone, and their union was blessed with seven children -- all boys. Thomas (deceased); James H., a farmer in Randolph county, Missouri; F. D., our subject; Henry C. (died in 1845); Wm. M., died in 1864, at Hastings, Minnesota; John F., farming in Callaway county, Missouri; and Melville G., who died in 1845. Frank D., the subject of this sketch, was educated in this, his native county, at the country schools. He lived upon the farm with his father until the age of nineteen, when he married Miss Elizabeth M., daughter of Thomas and Nancy (Mitchell) Cropper. He bought a farm in 1853, and lived upon it until 1855. In the spring of 1856 he removed to Johnson county, Missouri, and followed farming there for two seasons. In the fall of 1857 he came to Rocheport and entered the dry goods house of T. D. Jackman as book-keeper. He remained with the firm until July, 1860, when he, in partnership with Henry W. Crow, embarked in business for himself, under the firm name of Crow and Evans. In September, 1862, he enlisted in the Missouri militia, Company E., Captain Tyre G. Harris. At the end of forty-five days he received an adjutants commission to rank as captain, and upon the organization of the first provisional regiment, he was retained as adjutant. In 1863 he was made Gen. J. B. Douglass adjutant-general, with the rank of major and so remained until January, 1865, when he was relieved from active duty. He then took charge of the enrolling clerks office of the Ninth district, with headquarters at St. Charles. In July of the same year he removed to St. Louis, taking charge of the books of the district until 1866. He was in no engagements, his work being entirely office work. In 1866, he came to Columbia and accepted a position as book-keeper for Barth, Victor & Meyer, and continued with them until the failure of the firm in October, 1869. In February, 1870, he formed a partnership with Maupin and Allen, the style of the firm being Allen, Maupin & Co., in the grocery business. In November of the same year he sold out to his partners, and took the position of book-keeper in the Boone County National Bank, which position he has held until the present time and until July 22d had not lost a day from business in twelve years. He was married September 14th, 1852, and is the father of eight children, five boys and three girls. Silas D.; Tyson D., a physician at Cedar City, Missouri; Hugh R. (deceased); Lanius D.; Paul H. (deceased); Ida G. and Jessie Gertrude. He is a Mason, and both himself and wife are members of the Methodist church. Major Evans is one of Columbias staunch, reliable business men, and is regarded by all as a conscientious Christian gentleman.
p. 586 - HOWARD EVANS Howard Evans, farmer, is the son of Richard and Elizabeth (Nicholson) Evans, natives of Kentucky, who emigrated to Howard county, Missouri, about the year 1824, where they remained fifteen years, removing to Boone county in 1839. He settled on a farm southwest of Sturgeon where he lived until his death in the autumn of 1875, aged seventy-four years. The subject of this sketch was born in Howard county, Missouri, April 15, 1825. When fourteen years of age his parents removed to Boone county. Except twelve or thirteen years spent in California, Mr. Evans has lived in this county ever since. While in California he followed mining. Since his return from the mines he has followed farming. The subject of this sketch was married April 27, 1860, to Sarah, daughter of Tandy Robinson, a native of Virginia. They have eight children living. Their names are Marcus, Lillie Lee, Mary Elizabeth, Vienna, Susan F., Martha E., James H., Albert A.
Ishmael V. Evans is the son of Willis G. and Jane M. (Vanhorn) Evans, and was born near Rocheport, Missouri, August 3d, 1858. He was reared on the farm, and educated at the common schools of the neighborhood, completing his studies at the Rocheport Academy. He resides on the home place, and supports his widowed mother, his father having died in 1869. Mr. Evans has, by his excellent management of the farm and sincere devotion to his mother, sister and younger brothers, won for himself the esteem and confidence of all who are familiar with his labors. Willis Evans, father of Ishmael V., was born in Madison county, Kentucky, May 28th, 1818. When two years old his parents came to Missouri, and settled on a farm in Howard county, where his father died two years afterwards. Willis was then taken by his uncle, Stephen G. Evans, with whom he lived until he reached manhood. December 14th, 1842, he married Miss Jane M., daughter of Ishmael and Evaline Vanhorn, of Boone county. After his marriage he settled upon the farm upon which his son, Ishmael V., now lives, where he spent the remainder of his life, dying January 19th, 1869. He left eight children: Alice, wife of John W. Carlisle, of Columbia; Edward H., a physician of Boonville, Missouri; John G., of Fayette, Missouri; Ella, wife of Fielding W. Angell, of Missouri township, and Ishmael V., who is conducting the farm and caring for his mother, Eva, Luther and Robert, all of whom are living on the home place. At the time of his death Mr. Evans was a member of the Methodist Church South at Locust Grove.