p. 859 - EDWARD FARLEY
Edward Farley, son of Edward and Mary (Smith) Farley, was born in county Cavan, Ireland, September 23, 1832; he came to the United States in the spring of 1852, and settled in St. Louis, Missouri; he was educated in Ireland, but learned the marble trade in St. Louis, serving an apprenticeship of three and a half years; he remained in St. Louis for seven years, when he went to Fulton, Callaway county, Missouri, where he stayed for one year, removing from there to Mexico, where he was married June 6, 1860, to Miss Mary, daughter of William Montgomery. By this union they had six children, one of whom (John S.) is dead. The names of the living are Henry A., Frank L., William E., Lewis R. and Robert E. In the spring of 1861, Mr. Farley went to Iowa, where he remained during the war. In 1865 he came to Macon City, Missouri, where he opened a marble shop in partnership with D. E. Wilson. He remained there one year, when he returned to Mexico and engaged in the marble business, removing to Columbia the year following, where he remained in business for five years. From Columbia he went to Marshall, Missouri, where he remained for nine years in the marble business. In the year 1880 he came back to Columbia and erected a large brick marble shop near the court-house, where he is now actively engaged in his line of business, employing two hands besides himself; he has three agents on the road. He does work in the most artistic manner, using the finest Italian, Vermont and Pennsylvania marble; he makes monuments and headstones at prices ranging from ten to one thousand dollars each; his work is widely known, being represented in nearly all the cemeteries of Boone and adjoining counties. He is doing a prosperous business, which is well merited and generously bestowed. In addition to his marble works, he owns considerable real estate in Columbia. Mr. Farley is a member of the Catholic church.
James D. Fay, bricklayer, Columbia, Missouri, was born in Orange county, New York, April 20, 1852; he came to Sedalia, Missouri, in 1865, and in 1867 went to Covington, Kentucky, where he was educated; he attended school in the winter and worked at his trade in the summer. He learned bricklaying at this place, serving an apprenticeship of three years. He came to Columbia in 1870, where he has resided ever since; he has devoted most of his time since coming to Columbia to his trade and to the making of brick, for which work he is well prepared. The brick furnished by him is of the very best quality. He has the largest brickmaking establishment in the county, and is now working twelve hands. The k8iln will average about 300,000 brick annually. It is located northeast of Christian college, within the city limits. He has all the modern appliances for making pressed brick, such as our people were formerly compelled to ship from a distance; he is prepared to make all the brick needed in Columbia and the surrounding country; he makes estimates and takes contracts for building brick houses. Mr. Fay was married October 16, 1873, to Miss Henrietta, daughter of William Wingo. They have two sons and two daughters living. Mr. Fay is a member of the K. P. lodge, Columbia. Mrs. Fay is a member of the Baptist church.
Is a son of John and Jane (Wilson) Feely, and was born January 2, 1827, in the State of Ohio. He left his native State when about eight years old, living in Indiana two years, when he came to Missouri. He lived in St. Louis two years, and then went to his fathers, in Cole county, Missouri, and from there the family moved to Cass county. He was selling goods in Harrisonville when the war broke out. Casting his lot with the Confederacy, he enlisted in the State Guards in 1861, and afterwards in Prices army, Sixteenth Regiment, Company K (of which he was captain), Trans-Mississippi Department. He served four years in the army, and only when Lee surrendered, and the cause so dear to his hears was hopeless, he laid down his arms and accepted the situation, as all good soldiers do. At the battle of Lone Jack he received a gunshot wound in the arm, which literally tore away the muscles. He was in the battles of Pea Ridge, Prairie Grove, Jenkins Ferry, and Helena. He was married December 27, 1866, to Miss A. J. Watkins, of Cole county, and has been blessed with four children, all of whom are now living -- Laura, John Alexander, D. Postlewait and Beulah. He is now selling general merchandise in Wilson, Boone county, Missouri, and is also postmaster. He has been engaged in the mercantile business about thirty-two years, fifteen of them at his present home. In connection with his store he has a steamboat landing, and does a general commission business for the farmers in the county. He also ships about twenty-five thousand railroad ties every year, making that business a specialty.
Joshua Fenton was born in Boone county, Missouri, SEptember 30th, 1826. He is the son of Caleb Fenton, a native of Virginia, who emigrated first to Kentucky and then to Boone county, Missouri, where he remained until his death, in 1840. Joshua was brought up on the farm and educated at the district schools. In 1849 he was married to Miss Agnes March, daughter of Absalom March, of Kentucky. Ten children were born to them, three boys and seven girls. One son and five girls are living. All are married except Joshua C., who at this writing, is living with his father. Mr. Fenton is a member of the Baptist church at New Providence. He cultivates and excellent farm of 300 acres; is an enterprising, public-spirited citizen, honored and respected by all who know him.
James J. Fenton was born in Kentucky, June 5, 1820. He was raised on a farm and chose agriculture as the future occupation of his life. He came to Missouri in his childhood. Married Sarah A., daughter of Anthony Drane. They had nine children, eight of whom are living. Their names are: Caleb A.; James A.; Lawrence E.; John P.; M.A.; Joseph I.; Albert; and George. The dead son was named Lee. He died at the age of two years. Four of their children are married. Caleb married Jennie Hall. They have five children. James A. married Carrie Trunnell and have one child. Laura E. married James Wilhite and they have one child. John P. married Susan Tucker and they have one child. Mr. Fenton was a member of the Bethlehem Baptist church. He died in 1869, aged forty-eight years and eight months. Mrs. Fenton is still living on the old homestead. Mr. Fenton was widely known and highly esteemed by all who knew him.
The subject of this sketch was born in Boone county, Missouri, June 5th, 1835. He is the son of Caleb Fenton, a native of Kentucky, who came to Boone county at an early period of its history. His father was also named Caleb. William was educated at the common schools of the county. The first teacher, of any consequence, was Robert A. Younger, under whose instructions he made rapid progress. He was married in 1856 to Miss Lucinda, daughter of Buford Stice, of Boone county, a native of Kentucky. By this union they had five children: Ada, who married Washington Mordica; James T. married Miss Cora Phillippie [sic]; Andrew B.; William E.; Annie, married William Pollock. The first wife dying, Mr. Fenton married Miss Belle, daughter of John I. Pollock. By this union they have two sons, Hinton and Turner G>, namesakes of Judge Hinton and Hon. Squire Turner, of Columbia, Missouri. Mr. Fenton is a member of the Masonic order. He purchased the farm upon which he now lives of Allen Coats. It was settled in 1819; it is situated on Silvers Fork, of the Perche, and is very productive. Notwithstanding the severe drought of 1881, which rendered the corn crop almost a failure, Mr. Fenton produced more of this cereal than he could consume.
This gentlemen is the son of James and Martha (Vaughn) Ferguson, and was born on his fathers farm, five miles southwest of Columbia, on the old Providence road, February 25, 1846. He received his education in the public schools of the county and at the State University. In 1861 he began clerking for DR. S. A. Victor, and served in that capacity for about one year. In 1861-2 he was in the employ of T. B. Gentry, Esq., as deputy postmaster (and clerk in his business house). In 1863 he went to Jacksonville, Illinois, where he remained until the following year, when he returned to Columbia and engaged as clerk and salesman in the house of Moss & Prewitt. With this firm he engaged five years. In 1869 Mr. Ferguson began business for himself, forming a partnership in the grocery trade with James S. Hickman, the firm name being Hickman & Ferguson. Two years later he disposed of his interest in the business to Hickman & McKim, and clerked for Strawn, Hedden & Co for about a year. Returning from a visit to Kentucky in the fall of 1872, he served as a salesman for the dry goods house of Wells & Marks in the years 1873-4. In the fall of 1875 he became a member of the firm of Scott, Kennan & Ferguson in the grocery trade, which partnership was continued for four years, or until 1879, when J. W. Strawn was taken in. August 1, 1882, the firm became Strawn, Ferguson & Bouchelle, which is its present style. The firm occupy new and spacious quarters in Whittles block, corner of Ninth and Broadway. They have two departments, one devoted exclusively to the grocery trade, and the other to dry goods, notions, clothing, etc. They carry full lines and a large stock in every department and branch of the business. Six clerks and salesmen are employed in the grocery department; eight are at work in the dry goods room. The area of both rooms is 92 by 40 1/2 feet. The firm is composed of James M. Ferguson, J. W. Strawn and R. J. Bouchelle, and, as at present constituted, was organized August 1, 1882. January 28, 1880, Mr. Ferguson was married to Miss Mattie Hughes, the accomplished daughter of Joseph S. Hughes, the well-known banker of Richmond, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Ferguson are the parents of one child, named Joseph H. Mr. Ferguson is a member of the Masonic order; he is also a member of the Presbyterian church. Mrs. Ferguson belongs to the Christian church. The father of Mr. Ferguson died and was buried in Mexico in the year 1846. His mother died in St. Louis in 1872, but was buried in the Columbia cemetery. The subject hereof was the youngest child of a family of children composed of three sons and two daughters, all of whom are still living.
Joseph Ficklin was born in Winchester, Clark county, Kentucky, September 9, 1833; his father, Joseph Ficklin, Sr., was also a native of Kentucky, born in Mercer county in 1811. When Joseph, Jr., was an infant, his father removed to a farm near the little town of Salvisa, Mercer county, Kentucky, and here the subject of this sketch learned to read and to write. At Salvisa also he obtained his first mathematical knowledge, learning the multiplication table from the back part of an old copy book. This was before he was eight years of age. In 1841 Mr. Ficklin, Sr., removed to another farm between Pleasant Hill and Harrodsburg, the former a village inhabited by the Shakers. On this farm Joseph lived until he was eighteen years of age, employing his time at farm work and at labor in his fathers wagon shop. He became a good wagon maker, for one of his years. Meanwhile all of his leisure time had been devoted to the acquirement of an education, a cherished object with him, and one to be pursued under difficulties. His father was poor and had a large family to support, and the path of a poor man was not a pleasant one in Kentucky at that day. But by the time Joe Ficklin was seventeen years of age he had, almost unaided, completed common arithmetic, made some progress in Latin, and had begun the study of Davies Elementary Algebra.
In the Autumn of 1851 the senior Ficklin removed from Kentucky to Grundy county, Missouri. Joseph accompanied the family to St. Louis, and then went down the river to New Madrid, and there taught his first school. In February, 1852, he returned to Kentucky and lived with his grandfather, where he had the opportunity of attending a good school until in September, 1853. Up to this period he had studied, if not mastered, algebra, geometry, trigonometry, surveying, Caesar, Virgil, Horace, and had made some progress in Greek. He bought his books with money paid him by his grandfather for work done; the generous old gentleman charged him nothing for his board. September 18, 1853, he came to Trenton, Grundy county, where his father then lived. Here he borrowed money and went to the old Masonic college at Lexington, entering the sophomore class in all the departments. AT the close of the sophomore year his funds became exhausted, and unable to procure more, he was reluctantly compelled to leave the college, which he never after attended as a student. Subsequently, however, it conferred on him the degree of A.B.
In the fall of 1854 he began teaching in the high school at Trenton, Grundy county, as principal. One of the trustees of the school, Mr. James Terrill, did not look with much favor on the selection of Mr. Ficklin. I prefer a married man, said Mr. T. I have two daughters who will attend the school, and I prefer that they be taught by one of mature years, settled in live. This Mr. Ficklin is a single man, and will be falling in love with one of his young lady pupils one of these days. Mr. Terrills worst fears were afterwards realized. Mr. Ficklin did conceive the tender passion for one of his young lady pupils, who was Miss Penelope Terrill, the daughter of the prophetic trustee himself! Who says there are no such sensations as premonitions of danger? Mr. and Mrs. Ficklin were married March 3, 1856. They are the parents of six children -- Octavia, Nellie, John Bowman, Thomas Allen, Walter H. and Mary. Mrs. F. is a native of Randolph county, Missouri, born October 10, 1837.
In 1859 Prof. Ficklin accepted the chair of mathematics in Bloomington Female College, Illinois. He did not remain there long, however, and in the early spring of the following year returned to Missouri. In the autumn of 1860 he took charge of the public school at Linneus, Linn county. At the close of the term he opened a select school, but the civil war breaking out and continuing while he taught, his school and his income were comparatively small.
In September, 1864, he left Linneus to accept the chair of mathematics in the Christian Female College, at Columbia. About this time a similar position was tendered him at Eminence College, Kentucky. Prof. Ficklin had been in Columbia about one year when the professorship of mathematics in the State University became vacant. Meantime he had been a contributor to the mathematical departments of certain scientific journals, and had published solutions of certain intricate and difficult problems, which indicated superior and profound knowledge of mathematics on his part. One of these solutions fell under the observation of President Lathrop, of the University. At a meeting of the officers of that institution to fill the vacancy in the mathematical chair, Dr. Lathrop said: Gentlemen, are you aware that we have the very man for the place right here in Columbia? That little fellow over at Christian college is the very man we want. This led to investigation, and resulted in the election of Prof. Ficklin to the professorship of mathematics and astronomy in Missouris greatest, noblest school, which position he now holds.
In 1874 the little fellow from Christian college received the degree of Ph. D. from the University of Wisconsin. The University of Missouri had previously made him an artium magister, or Master of Arts. He is also a Fellow of the American Association for the Advancement of Science, whose sessions he attends when practicable, and before which organization he has read valuable papers. In 1869 he assisted Prof. Snell, of Amherst college, in a revision of the college edition of Olmsteds Natural Philosophy, himself revising the entire mathematical portions of the work. In 1874 he published through Ivison, Blakeman, Taylor & Co., New York, his Complete Algebra and his Algebraic Problems; also keys to both works. In 1881 appeared from the house of A. S. Barnes & CO., New York, Ficklins Primary Arithmetic, Ficklins Practical Arithmetic, Ficklins National Arithmetic, and Ficklins Elements of Algebra, with keys to the last three named. Prof. Ficklins mathematical works have been well received throughout the country, and his fame as a scientist is already well established in the United States and in Europe. No man ought to be more proud of reputation honestly gained and fairly maintained than this little fellow, and yet no man is less so. The La Place of Missouri, he is as common as an old shoe, as unassuming and accessible as if he were still a country wagon-maker instead of a learned professor and philosopher, and as genial and agreeable a companion as you shall meet anywhere, on any summers day. Prof. Ficklin has been a member of the Christian church for twenty-six years. He is a member of the Masonic order. In politics he takes no very active part, but votes the Democratic ticket when he goes to the polls. He was a non-combatant during the civil war, the only skirmishes in which he was engaged being with the rebellious and refractory boys of his school at Linneus, infrequent in number and not serious in character. His father served under Gen. Sterling Price a portion of the time during the war. The fine telescope now in the University observatory was adjusted by Prof. Ficklin, who is it chief master and most frequent visitor. He is a thoroughly practical astronomer; is at home in every department of mathematical science, whether it relates to the solution of arithmetical problems or a discussion on the precession of the equinoxes. It is too early yet to write an appropriate sketch of the life, character, and career of Joseph Ficklin.
The subject of this sketch was born in Rodgersville, Hawkins county, Tennessee, December 15, 1829. He is the son of John B. and Margaret (Winston) Findley. The elder Findley was born in Orange county, Virginia. Mrs. Findley was a native of Halifax county, Virginia. They removed to Alabama in 184, settling in DeKalb county, removing from there to Madison county. The subject of this sketch first learned the printers trade, afterwards the duties of a druggist, and for several years clerked in a drug store. He then read medicine under Dr. Carter, at Lebanon, Alabama, for four years, at the same time occupying a position in a drug store; attended first course of lectures in 1854-55 at Nashville Medical Institute, and a second course at Marion (Alabama) Medical College, where he received the degree of M.D. After that he was in the drug business up to the breaking out of the war, when he enlisted under Capt. Thomasson, in Company E, Fourth Alabama; was afterwards transferred to Capt. Higgins company, Twelfth Alabama; was at Seven Pines, both battles of Manassas, and at Sharpsburg. He then went to Richmond and took charge of one of the hospitals of that city. He bore away with him numerous testimonials both in reference to his skill and of gratitude from those he faithfully served. Rejoining the army as a soldier, he was captured by the enemy and taken to Rock Island. While a prisoner at that place he was appointed medical steward in the hospital, and was of much service to his fellow prisoners. When released he came directly to Boone county, Missouri, where he has lived ever since. He first stopped in Perche township, in what is known as Blackfoot, where he taught school for several years. He has been practicing medicine for about ten years. He was both a soldier and a physician during his service in the army; was severely wounded at Manassas, and was sent to Richmond, where he remained in the hospital for three months. He was never married.
Mr. Fisher is the son of George and Mary Ann (Harness) Fisher, both of whom were natives of Virginia. The mother lived to the advanced age of ninety-two, dying in 1881, having spent her entire life within less than a mile of where she was born. On the paternal side, Mr. Fisher is of Irish descent, and on the maternal side, of Dutch origin. Jacob Fisher, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, died in Virginia in 1835. Michael was born on his fathers farm in Virginia, on the 17th day of August, 1811, and was the second son and child of a family of eight sons and three daughters. He was reared and educated in his native State, and has been a farmer all his life. In 1837 he came to Boone county, Missouri, and settled on the Missouri river, near Nashville (now defunct). He moved to the farm where he now resides in 1846, his place being now a large, finely-improved farm, six miles southeast of Columbia, on which he built his present dwelling-house in 1855. Mr. Fisher was married in Virginia, August 19, 1834, to Miss Rebecca Cunningham, who died November 18, 1839. His present wife was Phoebe Ann, daughter of W. L. Woolfolk, of Boone county, to whom he was married January 4, 1853. Mr. Fisher takes great interest in educational affairs, and has served as school director for thirty-four years, being a member of the district board at this writing. He has been a member of the Bonne Femme Baptist Church for thirty-eight years, and has always labored zealously for the cause of advancement, morality, and religion. Besides the homestead farm, Mr. Fisher is owner of other lands in the fine old county of Boone.
Professor Michael Montgomery Fisher was born in Parke county, Indiana, October 8th, 1834. He was educated at Waveland academy, Montgomery county, completing his studies at Hanover College, Indiana, from which institution he received the degree of A.B., in 1853; and from the same college, in 1858, the degree of A.M. In 1868 he received the degree of D.D., from Westminster College, Fulton, Missouri. At the age of sixteen taught in Pleasant Hill academy, Cape Girardeau county, Missouri, to get money to attend college. After graduating in 1856, was chosen professor of Latin and Greek at Westminster College, Fulton. In 1857 was assigned to the Latin chair, which he held until 1861, when, with W. W. Hill, D.D. he established Bellwood Female academy, near Louisville, Kentucky. In 1862 was recalled to Westminster and made chairman of the faculty of that institution, at the same time filling the chairs of Latin and Metaphysics. In 1870 he resigned, to accept the presidency of a female college, at Independence, Missouri, and at the same time assuming the duties of pastor of the Presbyterian church of that city. His labors in this field proved most successful, but he did not remain long at Independence. He was recalled to Westminster on the resignation of the Rev. Dr. Rice in 1874, and took charge of his professorship. In 1877 he was elected professor of Latin in the Missouri State University, which position he has filled with great ability ever since. Few men are more closely identified with the educational interests of this State, and not one, perhaps, of his age, has taught so long, he having been a teacher in Missouri for twenty-six years. Prof. Fisher is not only justly distinguished as a teacher, but equally so, perhaps as an author. In 1878 he published a pamphlet entitled The Three Pronunciations of Latin, which excited much controversy. In 1879, in response to numerous requests from American teachers of Latin, he published a more comprehensive work on the same subject, entitled Fisher on the Three Pronunciations of Latin. This work has already passed through two editions, and the demand for it, both in this country and Europe, is very great. We have numerous testimonials before us, from which we can make but a few brief extracts. The St. Louis Republican says of it: -- We shall not attempt a synopsis of a book that strikes us as handling most ably and thoroughly this question, in which scholars everywhere are so deeply interested. Of equal interest to all scholars, to all professional and scientific men, and may be regarded as indispensable to teachers of Latin.
In addition to the above there are a number of other press notices, taken from the most influential papers of the country, published in almost every State of the Union, also many flattering testimonials from teachers, of which we select the following from Prof. T. W. Coit, of Middletown, Connecticut: I am a total stranger to you, but take the liberty of a brother professor to offer you my best thanks for your capital book on the pronunciation of Latin. But one thing I am fully persuaded of, and that is that our would-be classical reformers will not only murder Latin, but slaughter English in the bargain.
Prof. Fisher is now a regular contributor of the New England Journal of Education. He is also engaged on a complete series of Latin test books. He is a member of the American Philological Association, and has read papers at its meetings. Prof. Fisher has been married three times. First, in 1856, to Anna E,. Atwood, daughter of Dr. U. T. Atwood, of St. Louis. She died in 1864. In 1866 he was married to Miss Bettie Blair Coleman, cousin of Gen. Frank P. Blair. She died in 1872. December, 1874, he was married to Miss Eliza Gamble, daughter of Judge John W. Gamble, of Louisville. By the first marriage he has three children, Lizzie, Hamilton and Ernest. By the second marriage, one son, Samuel Blair. By the last marriage they have had four children, of whom three are living. Their names are, James M., Mary and Julia. The dead son was named Gamble. Hamilton is now engaged in the mercantile business at Terre Haute, Indiana. Ernest is studying medicine at Sedalia, Missouri. The other children are with their parents. DR. Fisher and his wife are both members of the Presbyterian church. He is also a Royal Arch Mason.
The subject of this sketch is the only surviving son of Rev. Noah and Jane L. (Ayers) Flood. He was born three miles north of Fulton, Callaway county, Missouri, November 2, 1848. Rev. Noah Flood, the father of the subject of this sketch, was one of the ablest and most useful preachers of his church, and the history of his eventful life would fill a volume if written in detail. He was born in 1809, and landed in Missouri at the age of twenty with only his trade and fifty cents in money. He had learned the tailors trade in Kentucky, and from time to time worked at the business in defraying his expenses while struggling for an education such as might well fit him for the high calling to which he aspired and finally attained, but not by the easy paths usually pursued by modern divinity students. He obtained his education mostly at Alton, Illinois. Entering the ministry at an early age, he travelled extensively for several years, mostly in Missouri, preaching and organizing churches. He was pastor of Walnut Grove Church, near Rocheport, for twenty years. He was also pastor of Bethlehem, Bonne Femme and New Salem churches, all in Boone county. he organized the church at Grand View, also in Boone. He was an earnest friend and promoter of educational enterprises, and did more in his humble way towards building up Baptist institutions of learning than most any other man of his denomination. Stephens College, William Jewell, and Mt. Pleasant all owe him a debt of gratitude as one of their principal benefactors. He died August 11, 1873, and is buried at Richland, Callaway county, Missouri. Mrs. Flood is still living at the age of sixty-two. She resides in Columbia with her children. There were eleven children in all born to Noah Flood, five sons and six daughters, of whom only one son and five daughters are now living. George, the only surviving son, was educated at the Missouri STate University, graduating with first honors in the agricultural department in 1873. He was awarded the prize medal on the day he graduated. He afterwards took the degree of B. S. and in 1875 took his degree in the engineer department. After completing his studies, he received the appointment of deputy surveyor under M. G. Quinn. In the fall of 1875-76 he taught school in Boone county, and in the summer following was a candidate for county surveyor, but was defeated. In 1877 taught school in Boone, and in 1878 taught in Callaway county. He also acted as deputy surveyor under Thomas H. Haley, of that county. Returned to Boone county and taught school in 1879-80. In the summer of 1880 acted as street commissioner of Columbia. In 1881 he again attended the University and took another degree in higher mathematics. Was appointed deputy surveyor under W. E. Wright, which position he still holds. He is a member of the Baptist church and a Master Mason. He is a fine civil engineer and a practical surveyor, having devoted the best years of his life to the studies necessary to fit him for such duties.
Richard M. Flynt, though forty-five years of age, is a native of Boone county, and is now living at the old home where he was born and raised. He is the son of Thomas and Susan C. Flynt, the former a native of North Carolina, and the latter of Virginia. They first emigrated to Callaway county, Missouri, in 1833, but remained there only one year, removing in 1834 to Boone county, settling on the farm where the subject of this sketch now lives. Thomas Flynt was born in Stokes county, North Carolina, in 1794. His father was also named Thomas. Richard M. bears the name of an uncle who served on the staff of Gen. Jackson during the war of 1812. Both of his grandfathers served in the American army during the revolutionary war. The subject of this sketch was born June 2d, 1837. He was one of a family of seven children, two of whom died in childhood. The oldest member of the family now living is the widow of John W. Love, who died in the Federal army during the late civil war. The other sister is the wife of John D. French. The oldest of the brothers, James W., went to California in 1850, and has never returned. He is a bachelor. He is now living in White Pine county, Nevada. Martin C. Flynt, the youngest brother, is a native of Audrain county. He was a soldier in Cockrells brigade during the late war, and was twice wounded at the battle of Franklin, Tennessee. Richard M. Flynt was with Price in his Missouri campaigns at the beginning of the war. He was married on the 7th day of June, 1860, to Miss Mary F., daughter of Mordecai and Arethusa [sic] Turner, of Boone county. They have seven children living and one dead. Their names are Wilmuth Ann, Thomas M., Joseph F., Augusta Jane, William R., Warren A., Lena Mabel and an infant yet unnamed. Thomas M. died in infancy. Their children are all living at home. Mr. and Mrs. Flynt are members of the Baptist church at Grand View. Mr. Flynt is also a member of the Masonic order. His home is situated sixteen miles northeast of Columbia, and four miles southeast of Hallsville, which is his post-office. Thomas Flynt, the father of the subject of this sketch, died in February, 1858; Mrs. Flynt died in the winter of 1866. They are both buried at Mt. Zion church, which was built on land donated by Mr. Flynt, and the church was named by him. He was a member of the Methodist Church South. Mrs. Flynt was a member of the Regular Baptist church.
Edmund Walter Forbis is the son of George Forbis, a native of Kentucky. His mother, Mary Perrigan, was also a native of that State. The subject of this sketch was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, June 16, 1811. He was the youngest of a family of twelve sons and three daughters, of whom four sons are now living, all in Boone. Mr. Forbis spent most of his youth in Oldham county, about thirty miles from Louisville. He came to Bone county in 1837 and settled on the farm where he now lives, two and one-fourth miles northwest of Ashland. The farm had been entered before, but Mr. Forbis improved it. He built the house he now occupies in 1838. He was married May 28, 1845, to Miss Ann Eliza Blanton. She died, September 7, 1865, leaving two sons and four daughters. Mr. Forbis was again married, September 3, 1868, to Mrs. Eliza Self, who died February 9, 1879. He has two sons and two daughters living in this county. Mr. Forbis is an official member of the New Liberty Baptist church.
The subject of this sketch is one among the oldest citizens of Boone county. He was born near Lexington, Kentucky, December 28th, 1799. When in his thirteenth year, his parents removed to Kentucky, where he lived until his nineteenth year, when he began to do for himself by teaching school, which he followed continuously for fifteen years. He was married, August 13th, 1835, to Miss Elizabeth Wilcox, sister of the late Dr. George B. Wilcox, of Rocheport. Mrs. Forbis is a lineal descendant of Daniel Boone, the pioneer hero of the dark and bloody ground. She was born in Shelby county, Kentucky, in 1810, where she lived with her parents, John and Sarah (Boone) Wilcox, until her marriage to Mr. Forbis in 1835. They emigrated to Missouri in 1836, arriving in Rocheport November 19th. Soon after his arrival Mr. Forbis purchased the farm upon which he now resides. It consists of 212 acres and has been cultivated by him continuously ever since it passed into his possession. He has been from early manhood a consistent member of the Primitive Baptist church. When he came to Missouri he united with the Missionary Baptist church at Walnut Grove, as there was no congregation of Primitive Baptists then within his reach. In 1871 he withdrew from the Walnut Grove church and together with his wife assisted the organization of the Zoar Primitive Baptist church in Howard county. He has been clerk of this church ever since its organization. He is an ardent devoted Christian and a firm believer in the Calvinistic tenets of the Old School Baptist denomination. They have eight living children: Sarah, wife of Joel H. Challes; Mary, relict of the late A. J. Barnett; Harriet W.; George W.; Eliza, wife of George W. Thompson; Emma; John E., of Oregon; and William P., who still remains on the homestead and superintends the farm. George W. was considerably wounded by the bursting of a shell while serving in the Confederate army at Pea Ridge. He was afterwards taken prisoner at Port Gibson and was incarcerated at Alton until released on parole. Mr. Forbis is a zealous advocate of popular education. He served as school director in his district from 1840 to 1860.
James H. Forbis, farmer, came to Centralia township in 1865. When he moved to the neighborhood the prairie grass was growing as high as a mans head where the town now stands. He was born in Henry county, Kentucky, June 6th, 1833. He is the son and grandson of the Forbises, pioneers of Kentucky. James was one of eight children. He was brought up on the farm. Served an apprenticeship at the carpenters trade in Louisville. After completing his trade he went to Mississippi where he remained for about three years. He came to Missouri in 1857, settling first in Callaway county, removing next to Monroe county, where he was married, June 6th, 1860, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Wilson Enochs. One daughter and four sons were born of this marriage. Mrs. Forbis dying, he married Miss Mary, daughter of Thomas Welch, of Monroe county. They have one daughter (Eliza) by this marriage. Mr. Forbis settled present place, one and one-four miles southwest of Centralia, in 1865. He is an official member of the Christian church.
W. H. Fountain, farmer, of Randolph county, Missouri, is of English origin, his great-grandfather, on his fathers side, having been exiled from England in 1760, on account of religious disturbances which prevailed in the old country at that time. His grandfather was one of the pioneer settlers of Kentucky, and a great hunter, being remarkably proficient as a marksman. The father of W. H. was born in Clark county, Kentucky, his mother in Bourbon county, of that State. The grandfather of Mr. Fountain emigrated to Missouri in 1815, when his son, the father of W. H., was about seventeen years old. They settled on Lick Fork, in section 27, his residence being in the northwest quarter. His father was married in this county to Lucy Ann Angell, March 13th, 1838, Young E. Hicks, a justice of the peace, solemnizing the marital obligation. W. H. Fountain was born February 17th, 1839. He has one brother living. Another brother was drowned in Smoke river, while crossing the plains, July 17th, 1863. W. H. Fountain moved to Randolph county in 1870. He has two farms, the one upon which he is now living, and another in Boone county. Most of his business is in this county, and he thinks of returning to Boone to live. Mr. Fountain was first married, February 15th, 1866, to Miss Julia, daughter of Thomas A. and Martha Barnes, of Randolph county. She died in 1872, leaving three children, Radford M., Martha A., and Otis. Married second time to Miss Rachel, daughter of Eli and Eliza Lyons, of Boone county. They have two children, John F. and Eliza Beulah. He has crossed the plains some half-dozen times. He was in company with his brother when the latter lost his life, in 1863. Is a member of the Baptist church. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor. He is a Democrat in politics. Mr. Fountain is an enterprising farmer, stock raiser and trader. He has shipped as many as 138 car loads of stock in one year. So far this season (summer of 1882) he and his brother-in-law, his partner in the business, have shipped over 1,000 head of cattle. They ship from various points. Most of the Fountain family emigrated to Oregon years ago. The family on the maternal side, is of Irish origin, the grandfather of Mr. Fountain having been born and raised in that country.
S. A. Fretwell, proprietor of the Sturgeon broom factory, was born in Boone county, October 9, 1846. He is the son of Joseph and Hannah (nee Riggs) Fretwell. His father is an active, energetic farmer and stock raiser. The subject of this sketch was raised on the farm and followed agricultural pursuits until he went into the broom business at Sturgeon. He has a large establishment and employs only skilled labor. The brooms made at this factory are not inferior to the best, and his facilities are equal to that of any manufactory in the State outside of St. Louis. Mr. Fretwell was married, March 6, 1867, to Mary H., daughter of William and Martha Lampton. They have one son, William J. Mr. and Mrs. Fretwell are members of the Christian church. He is a member of the order of A.O.U.W. He is an active energetic business man, and by industry and prudence is building up a prosperous and reliable trade.
John Thylo Fyfer was born in Quebec, Canada, February 3, 1835. Was educated at the French and English college of that city, learned German and French, and was early initiated in the wholesale trade, it being intended that he should represent his firm in the European trade. AT the age of nineteen he went to Orange county, Virginia, where he remained for thre years. AFterwards came to COlumbia and engaged in business with Jonathan Kirkbride. In 1860 formed a partnership with Mr. Trimble. He was married in 1868 to Miss Laura Berry, of Springfield, Missouri. Three daughters were born to them: Lizzie Kirkbride, Laura and Lou. They have developed considerable skill in music, having a family predilection that way. Mrs. Fyfer died July 12, 1882, aged forty-seven. She was a graduate of Visitation convent, St. Louis, Missouri, and a lady of rare culture. She was a member of the Episcopalian church. Mr. Fyfer is also a member of the Episcopal church. He is also a Knight Templar."