p. 765 - ISAAC LOYD HADEN
"The subject of this notice is the son of Turner R. and Sarah Ann (Loyd) Haden, and was born August 11th, 1854, in Boone county, Missouri. His father came from Scott county, Kentucky, to Boone county, Missouri, about 1825 or 1826, and settled on what is now known as the Bedford farm. He was a farmer, and died in January, 1879. Mrs. Haden, the mother of Isaac Loyd Haden is still living, aged fifty-seven. They reared a family of nine children, three boys and six girls. Our subject, Isaac, is the fourth child and second son. Isaac was born four miles northeast of Columbia. He was educated in his native county at what is known as the Kennan school house. He lived at home until he was twenty-one years of age, when he married Miss Myra Gillespie, daughter of Robert and Sophia (Barnes) Gillespie. By this union they have two children, a boy and girl, Wm. Porter and Sallie. He and his wife are members of the Chritian church at Hickory Grove, Callaway county, Missouri. He has a good farm upon the Columbia and Concord road, ten miles northeast of Columbia. The soil is a black loam, and raises the very finest wheat and corn in the vicinity."
"Joel H. Haden, one of Boone county's most successful citizens, is the son of Turner R. and Rebecca Haden, and was born in Scott county, Kentucky, September 12th, 1811. He came to Boone county in the fall of 1828, and rented a farm two and a half miles northeast of Columbia, now known as the Lenoir farm. He was first married to Miss Sarah Cave, daughter of Richard and Martha (Cave) Talbott. By this marriage they have one child, Margaret, who is the wife of John W. Carter of Boone county. Mr. Haden's first wife died May 15th, 1835. He was again married July 4th, 1838, to Miss Zerelda, daughter of James and Maria Kirtley. Two sons were born of this union, James W. and Turner R.S. The second wife having died November 3d, 1870, Mr. Haden was married September 28th, 1872, to Sarah, sister of the second wife. Mr. Haden has always followed farming. His farm is one of the best in the county. He has a fine residence, beautifully situated on the Columbia and Blackfoot rock road, one and a half miles north of the city. Mr. Haden is in every sense of the word a self-made man, having accumulated a large fortune by his individual effort His home place contains 900 acres. In addition to this he owns 600 acres elsewhere, besides much other valuable property, all of which he accumulated by hard labor and good management. Mr. Haden is at this writing seventy-one years old, but looks to be not over fifty."
"Is the son of Levi and Charlotte (Graham) Hagans and was born in Kentucky. His father moved to Missouri in 1842 and settled in Lafayette county where he lived a year, when he moved to Boone county, where he died in 1854. Nathan, the subject of our sketch went to California in 185- [sic] and was gone about thirteen months. He lived in California seven months, having made the trip in a wagon drawn by oxen. He came back by sea via New Orleans. He has been married twice. The first time to Miss Rebecca Wilcoxen by whom he had six children, four of whom are alive. His second wife was the widow of Samuel Wilcoxen, and the daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Peak. Mr. Hagans is of Irish origin upon his father’s side and inherits their good qualities of head and heart. He keeps the landing upon the river known as Hagans’ landing and handles and ships about 12,000 ties per year. He is one of the very best citizens in a county noted for her number of men of sterling worth."
"Is the son of Levi and Charlotte (Graham) Hagans; was born August 27, 1846. His father came to this county from Allen county, Kentucky, in 1843, and settled in Boone county, near Burlington. His father died in 1854, after farming in this county for eleven years. Thomas is a bachelor living alone on his farm. He devotes his time to farming and gardening making the cultivation of watermelons a specialty. He lived four years in Buchanan county, four in Callaway and one year in Miller county, thence back to his present home where he has since lived. He is one of the yeomen of the country, such men as are relied upon by all governments to make them strong at home and respected abroad."
"Was born in Albermarle county, Virginia, July 9th, 1831. His parents, John W. and Sarah H. Hall, moved to Missouri in 1836, when David was a small boy, bringing him with them. They settled at Hallsville, in Boone county, where the subject of this sketch lived with them till he was nineteen years old. He then went West to the mining districts of California, and was absent in that State and Oregon for three years. Returning to this county, he was married, November 3d, 1853, to Miss Melinda T. Asbury, a native of Boone county, born January 19, 1833. Her parents were Calvin and Jane Asbury, who were born and reared in Fleming county, Kentucky, and settled in this county at an early day. Five children are the offspring of this marriage, one son and four daughters. One of these only is married and the rest are at home at this writing, where their father lives, near Hallsville. That village, by the way, was named in honor of this family [See general history of Boone county.] Mr. Hall’s paternal grandfather was a soldier in the war of the Revolution, but under whom he served is not known. David received a common-school education, and has made his way successfully in the world without the more advanced education attainable to the present youthful generation of Boone county. He owns a fine farm of 320 acres in Rocky Fork township, which he knows well how to cultivate. He is a good citizen, a careful manager, and provides well for the support and education of his family His mother is still living, at an advanced age, two miles west of Hallsville, on the place where his father died."
"The subject of this notice is the son of Mortimer and Mary (French) Hall, and was born in Boone county, Missouri, October 5th, 1847. When quite a child he went to live with an uncle, S.L. French, and lived with him until he was sixteen years of age, when he commenced teaching school and taught from 1863 until 1872. Two years of his teaching was in Morgan county, Missouri. He then followed farming for four years, until March, 1882, when he was appointed deputy county clerk of Boone county, which position he still retains. He had the misfortune to lose an arm on the 12th day of October, 1861, by getting it crushed between the rollers of a cane-mill on the farm of J.D. French. He was elected a justice of the peace in November, 1872, of Rockyfork township and served as justice for ten years. He was married September 7th, 1871, to Miss Sue T., daughter of Jackson Herndon. By this union they have had five children, one boy and four girls – Mary L., born September 17th, 1872; Carrie E., born March 26th, 1874; Sallie A., born April 18th, 1875; Hugh E., born January 12th, 1877, and Wilmuth, born July 8th, 1879. Mr. Hall and his wife are members of the Christian church and he is a member of the Knights of Pythias. His father is a native of Virginia and is still living near Hallsville, Boone county. His mother is dead. Hugh was the only child. He is one of the most efficient of Boone’s county offices and is a genial pleasant gentleman."
"James Clinton Hall, commissioner of public schools, was born in Bourbon township, Boone county, September 20th 1848. He was partly educated at the common schools, completing his education at McGhee college. After leaving college he spent several years on a farm. Having been employed to teach the Hallsville district school, he was retained by the directors, serving that district for seven years. He was then employed to teach at Columbia, serving as principal of the public school for four years. He went to Centralia in 1881, and took charge of the public school at that place, which position he still holds. In 1875 was elected school commissioner, and has held the office ever since, except in 1877 and 1878. He was married March 18th, 1878, to Geneva Pollard, daughter of James P. Pollard, of Hallsville. Mr. and Mrs. Hall are members of the Christian church. He is a member of the K.P. lodge at Columbia and A.O.U.W. of Centralia. He was secretary of Boone County Teachers' Institute from 1871 to about 1875, and has been president ever since. Prof. Hall is an able earnest, conscientious teacher, thoroughly devoted to his calling and ever zealous in promoting the cause of popular education."
"The life of Marshall H. Harris, postmaster and druggist, Sturgeon, Missouri, is one of the very best illustrations of the self-made man. His energy and will-power can hardly be surpassed, and all his efforts have been made in an honorable, manly direction. He is the son of Overton G. and Nancy (nee Ellington) Harris. His father was almost entirely raised in Boone county, his grandfather, Tyre Harris, having come to Boone along with the very first emigrants. He was one of the first representatives in the legislature from Boone county, having been elected for several terms. A more extended review of his services in this capacity may be found elsewhere in this volume. The subject of this sketch attended school in one of the primitive log cabins which in the early day were made to answer the purpose of school-houses. After he was grown, however, he attended Lathrop Academy, an excellent high school, for two years. He read medical books by firelight, substituting, from enforced economy, hickory bark for candles. He graduated in a brown jeans suit made by one of his sisters. He was married March 1st, 1855, to Miss Mary J., daughter of Dr. A. S. Dinwiddie, of Boone county. They have three children, Carrie, Walter and Mattie. Mr. Harris was a member of Company F, of General Guitar’s regiment of M.S.M., enlisted in March, 1862, and was mustered out in April, 1865. He served under Capt. Cook, who was detached from his company much of the time, leaving it in charge of Mr. Harris. He was in most of the fights and skirmishes in which his regiment took part, from the date of his enlistment to the close of the war. He had charge of the garrison at Columbia for some time. During the war he made hosts of friends among Confederates and Southern sympathizers by his many acts of kindness and generous sympathy for the unfortunate. He is thoroughly identified with the community in which he lives. He was appointed postmaster, April, 1869, and has held the office continuously ever since. He has been president of the Sturgeon bank, but is not connected with that business at present. He built the building now occupied by the Sturgeon bank. He is a member of the order of A.O.U.W. He and his wife are both members of the Missionary Baptist Church. In politics Mr. Harris is a stalwart Republican."
"Gen. Stewart B. Hatton, one of the oldest pioneers of Boone county and a man of distinguished natural ability, popularity and influence, is the tenth son and fourteenth child of Reuben and Joan (Beleau) Hatton. His father was born in 1762, of English parents, being one of the third generation after the removal from England. He was born and raised to the age of nineteen years in Amelia county, Virginia, receiving an excellent common school education. At the breaking out of the revolutionary war, he entered the American army, being at the time but nineteen years of age. He was at the battles of Guilford Court House and Eutaw Springs, also in the disastrous engagement wit Lord Rawdon. The close of the war found him in South Carolina. Being charmed with the country and climate, he resolved to remain in the south. Having learned the hatter’s trade with his father before the war, he applied for a situation, and was employed by a Frenchman named Beleau, a descendant of a Huguenot family, of South Carolina, whose wife was of the same faith and nativity. This proved an important epoch in the life of Reuben Hatton. He made love to his employer’s daughter and was accepted. In the course of time they were married, and the well-matched couple lived happily together as man and wife for over half a century. Their large family, with but two exceptions, lived to old age and left large families of their own. The descendants of Reuben and Joan Hatton now number over a thousand souls, and are scattered over almost the entire South and West. After his marriage, Reuben Hatton remained for several years in South Carolina. His three oldest children were born in that State. Having heard of Daniel Boone’s exploits in Kentucky, he joined one of the bands of emigrants which that daring hunter piloted through the wilderness to one of his settlements on the Kentucky river. They were several months on the road. Reuben Hatton settled on a fine body of land near what was afterwards known as Foxtown, in Madison county. He built him a good house and a hatter’s shop. Several of his sons learned the trade, and they did a good business. Real estate having rapidly increased in value, Reuben Hatton found that he could not settle all of his large family on homes of their own in Madison county, and he resolved to emigrate to Missouri. Two of his sons, Mitchell and William, having volunteered in the war of 1812, and having been sent west to protect the frontier, wrote back to their parents to sell out and remove to Missouri, describing it as the finest country they had ever seen. Reuben Hatton was pleased with the idea, and, having disposed of his home in Kentucky, removed to St. Louis county, Missouri, in 1814, when the subject of this sketch was but three years old, he having been born in Madison county, Kentucky, February 5th, 1811. They remained in St. Louis county nearly three years, where Mitchell Hatton, the fourth son, was married. His wife was Anna Whitesides, a niece of Gen. Whitesides, under whom he had served during a portion of the war of 1812, and after whom Whitesides county, Illinois, was afterwards named. Mitchell Hatton died on his farm in Boone county, now occupied by his son, Fleming B. Hatton, March, 1863, aged sixty-seven. He was a justice of the peace for twenty years, and never had but three cases reversed by the circuit court. Seven children were born to him, only three of whom are now living: Mrs. Hester Ann Hatton, Fleming B. and John W. Hatton. Reuben Hatton came to Boone county in 1817, and settled on a farm near Midway. It is claimed for him that he built the first house in the county that was covered with shingles. However doubtful this may be, there cannot be the least shadow of doubt that he established the first nursery of fruit trees, having brought his stock with him from Kentucky to St. Louis, and from St. Louis to Boone county. Gen. Hatton commenced life for himself as a hatter, having a shop near Midway, in Boone county. He afterwards bought the Dixon watermill on the Callaham, and removed to the place vacated by Mr. Dixon. He was married April 5th, 1834, to Alitha Barnes, daughter of Amos Barnes, mentioned elsewhere in this volume. He was married by ‘old uncle Jimmie Barnes,’ a pioneer preacher and an uncle of Mrs Hatton. Three children were born of this marriage, one son and two daughters. The youngest, Mrs. Wilcox, is dead. The eldest daughter, Mrs. Jackson Yeager, is living on a cotton plantation in Arkansas. The oldest child, Rev. William A. Hatton, is pastor of the Baptist church at Memphis, Missouri. The eldest daughter has been twice married. Her first husband was George Milhollen, who was killed in Linn county, Missouri, during the late war. From early manhood to middle age, Gen. Hatton was continually in office, mostly in the militia. He has held every military office from first sergeant to brigadier-general. In 1850 he was elected to the legislature. He served in the Black Hawk and Mormon wars, and took an active part in the late civil war, being commissioned to raise, organize and send forward troops to Price’s army. He assisted in organizing the forces that were taken south by Gens. Green and Harris. He was with Gen. Harris at the Fulton fight, and planned the ambuscade by which Harris was enabled to get out of a very close place, after inflicting severe loss on the enemy. Their orders were not to fire a gun if it could be avoided, but it became necessary to strike terror into the hearts of his pursuers. It was through his advice that Jeff. Jones was enabled to dictate his own terms to Gen. Henderson, who had a much larger force. During the troubles in Kansas in 1856, he raised a company of men and went to the assistance of the pro-slavery party, but the difficulty was settled without serious bloodshed. During the latter part of the late war, he was taken prisoner. He was soon released, however, but was again arrested and kept a close prisoner until near the close of the war. He was severely blamed by some of his own party for not joining the regular army, but in remaining north of the river, he was but obeying positive orders from Gen. Price, who sent couriers through to him every few weeks. Had he not been ordered to remain, he would certainly have gone to he front and remained there. He always advised against fighting on this side of the river, so long as it could be avoided, and in so doing he was but obeying the written instructions received from Gen. Price, and reiterated from time to time. The labors of Gen. Hatton in behalf of the South are not historical, but are none the less sincere and effective on that account. He is a Mason and a member of the Methodist Church."
"A. J. Hawkins is the son of John and Rebecca (Skinner) Hawkins, and was born in Madison county, Kentucky, July 14, 1828. His father came to Boone county in 1829, and settled on Thrall’s Prairie, near the Model Farm. The subject of this sketch was brought up on the farm and has followed that occupation principally all his life. He has also worked considerably at the blacksmith’s trade, and has taught school. Was married, November 11, 1852, to Sarah, daughter of Joseph and Hannah (Hicks) Fountain. They have three children: Barsco Zelo, Laura Bell, and Ezekiel John. Barsco Zelo married William M. Butler and Laura Bell married John C. Via. Butler is living in Chicago; Via in Dallas, Texas. Mr. and Mrs. Hawkins are both members of the Baptist church. Mr. Hawkins, though possessing only the educational advantages offered by the common school of the county, is a well educated man and has been quite successful as a teacher of common schools. He is of German and English origin, his mother being of German descent, his father English. He is an affable, pleasant gentleman, faithful in all the duties and responsibilities of life."
"Elijah S. Hawkins, carpenter, was born in Howard County, Michigan, March 30, 1832. He is the son of Weeden and Elizabeth (Lanham) Hawkins. The family removed to Illinois in 1834, and settled in Adams county, near Quincy, where they remained until 1851, when they came to Boone county, Missouri, and settled about three-fourths of a mile southwest of Sturgeon. Mr. Hawkins has followed the occupation of carpenter during most of his life. For a short time he sold goods in Sturgeon with Napoleon Burks, under the firm name of Burks & Hawkins. Theirs was perhaps the second dry-good establishment ever started in that place. He has farmed considerably in connection with his trade. He was first married, September 27, 1857, to Julia, daughter of Jesse and Mary A. Copher. Was afterward married to Miss Sallie, daughter of Simon Engleman. They have one child by this marriage, named Sallie. Mr. Hawkins is a member of the United Workmen. He has, since coming to Missouri, lived continuously in Boone county, except two years spent in Montana, mining and working at his trade."
"John Hazelrigg is the son of Dillard and Sallie (nee Renick) Hazelrigg, and was born in Clark county, Kentucky, July 17, 1828. His mother was the daughter of George and Mary Magdalen Renick, and sister of Abraham Renick, one of the noted stock men of Clark county. John Hazelrigg left Kentucky in 1856 and settled in Bath, Mason county, Illinois. He enlisted in the 85th Illinois Infantry in 1862. He was chief musician of his regiment. Was at the battles of Perryville, Murfreesboro, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, and in Sherman’s famous march to the sea. He was married, February 14, 1854, to Mildred, daughter of J. V. Kemper, Sr., of Montgomery county, Kentucky. Have one daughter, Mary Dillard. Mr. Hazelrigg is now a member of the firm of Hazelrigg & Kemper, Sturgeon, Missouri, dealers in drugs, groceries, etc. He belongs to the Knights of Honor and was formerly a member of the Odd Fellows lodge, but has not affiliated with the order since coming to Sturgeon. He is a member of the Christian church, and has been since he was seventeen years old. Mrs. Hazelrigg is also a member of the same church. He has been councilman of the city for several years, and has been city clerk for two years. He is of Scotch and Welsh origin on his father’s side and German on the mother’s side."
"George W. Henderson, son of E. F. and Catherine (Brinkman) Henderson, was born in St. Louis, March 10, 1847. Was educated at the public schools of St. Louis. Commenced his business career in 1857, clerking in a candy store in St. Louis. In 1859, he clerked for John Barnhurst, of St. Louis, in a dry goods store, continuing thus until 1869, when Barnhurst moved his store to Columbia, Missouri, and Mr. Henderson came with him and remained in his employment until the latter part of 1870, when he went into the grocery business under the firm name of Gentry & Henderson. Continued the business thus for about seventeen months when he took William T. Shock into partnership, under the firm name of Shock & Henderson. The business was conducted thus for about two years, then changed to Henderson, Shock & Co., and so remained until 1876, when Mr. Henderson sold out his interest to Lafayette Hume. In June, 1876, he became one of the proprietors of the Columbia Mills, his partners being Messrs. Anderson and Smith. In 1878 the firm changed to Anderson, Henderson & Co., and so remained until February 6, 1882. As a business man Mr. Henderson has few equals, and perhaps no superior in this section of the country. He commenced life without anything, and has by energy, and good management accumulated a handsome estate, and this too in a brief period of time. His father is living in Columbia at the age of sixty-five years. His mother died in 1875. He is one of six children, five sons and one daughter, all of whom are living but one son, who died in childhood. The subject of this sketch is the youngest of the family. Mr. Henderson was married September 10, 1874, to Miss Mary, daughter of Judge Henry and Mary (Depew) Dusenberry. They have one son, Benjamin E. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson are members of the Methodist Church South. He is also a member of the Masonic fraternity."
"William Douglass Henderson, one of the most substantial farmers in the vicinity of Midway, was born at a place called Big Muddy, in Illinois, October 29th, 1817, while his parents were en route from Kentucky to Missouri. In the month of November following his parents reached Florissant, St. Louis county, Missouri, where they remained during the winter. In the spring of 1818 his father came to Boone county, and purchased the land now known as the Henderson homestead, containing 306 acres, situated near Midway. Mr. Henderson was raised on this farm. The opportunities for obtaining an education at this time and place were poor indeed. The subject of this sketch had no other instruction than such as could be obtained by attending subscription schools for a few months a year, usually in mid-winter. In 1836, his father’s health failing, he took control of the farm and managed it until his death, which occurred in 1843. The farm having been willed to Mrs. Henderson, he remained with her until her death, in 1871. Previous to his mother’s death, Mr. Henderson had purchased the interest of the other heirs, and so became sole proprietor of the old homestead. During the civil war, Mr. Henderson was avowedly Southern in sentiment, and suffered financially for his principles, notwithstanding he took no part in the struggle. Mr. Henderson has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Eleanor, daughter of Warren Leonard, of Boone county, Missouri, to whom he was married March 29th, 1845. By this marriage he has five living children. His oldest daughter, Sarah C., is the wife of Charlie Hance, clerk of the Randolph county court. John C. is married and is living on a farm in the neighborhood of Midway. Agnes is the wife of R. P. Jones, of Moberly, Missouri. Nora and Richard are still living at home. Mr. Henderson was again married April 2d, 1868, to Mrs. Arcena Thurston, of Midway. She died April 7th, 1877. Mr. Henderson has been an active member of the Methodist Church for forty years. He has been class-leader since 1844, and has served as steward and Sunday school superintendent for the same length of time. His house is one of the old landmarks of Boone county. It was the first tavern established on the stage route between Columbia and Fayette, and was the voting place for Missouri township from its organization up to 1840."
The subject of this sketch is the son of John Todd and Sarah (Keene) Henry. He was born in Scott county, Kentucky, March 14, 1812. Was educated in the common district schools of the country. Came to Boone county Missouri, with his mother, in the fall of 1826, and settled on a farm five and one-half miles northeast of Columbia, where he remained until he was twenty-two years old. Then went from home to learn the trade of brick-laying under J.G. Keene and David Neal. In 1837 returned to Kentucky, in company with his brother, where he remained for one year. When work was commenced on the Missouri State University he was employed to lay brick, building the front wall of that institution. He helped to lay the first brick that were placed in the University. In 1841 he, in company with Henry Keene, formed a partnership for making and laying brick. He continued in this business for about six years. He was married July 7th, 1852, to Miss Susan, daughter of Gabriel and Elizabeth Parker. By this union they have had three sons and two daughters. Lizzie L. born May 2d, 1853; Mary, born October 15th, 1856; Edward P., born September 7th, 1860; William Todd, born March 11th, 1867, died October 15th, 1877; Robert, born May 10th, 1862, died May 11th, 1864. In 1849 Mr. Henry bought the farm upon which he now lives, containing 216 acres. This farm is well watered and timbered, and is in every respect finely improved. Mr. Henry is an official member of the Presbyterian church and has been for thirty-three years. Mrs. Henry is also a member of the same. Her father, Gabriel Parker, died February 24th, 1880, at the advanced age of eighty-eight years. Her mother, Mrs. Parker, died March 1st, 1864."
"James Lawrence Henry, Jr., son of Dr. James L. and Mary A. (Barnard) Henry, was born in Easton, Washington county, New York, September 22d, 1839, and was educated at Greenwich, which is also in Washington county. In 1856 he left his native State, going first to Farmington, Iowa, where he worked one year in the machine shops, then to Knox county, Missouri, where he worked in the milling business eighteen months under the firm name of Hill & Henry. Selling out his interest in the mill he went to Macon City, Missouri, where he acted as superintendent of a livery stable owned by Harry Wortz. He remained in tis business until 1859, when he came to Boone county and drove the Columbia and Sturgeon stage for Leonard & Burks until the spring of 1860, when he engaged in the steam sawmill business. He removed the mill from near Centralia to Hinkson creek, ten miles northeast of Columbia. He ran this mill until March, 1861, when he went to farming one mile east of Brown’s Station. He was married March 10th, 1861, to Francis S., daughter of James and Louisa (Ridgway) Lampton. By this union they had seven children, two sons and five daughters. Mary L., born February 5th, 1862, died August 23d, 1866; Eunice B., born November 12th, 1868; John L., born April 13th, 1871; Susan G. born July 6th, 1873; James C., born July 19th, 1876, died May 11th, 1878; Marion L. born February 7th, 1879, and Elizabeth R., born February 23d, 1881. Mr. Henry enlisted in the Confederate army in 1861 under Capt. Robert L. Maupin, then again under Capt. Amos Hulett. After several attempts to reach the army, he was captured in the summer of 1862, and confined in prison at St. Louis, Alton and Washington City. In the spring of 1863 he was exchanged and sent to City Point, Virginia. From there he went West and joined Capt.. Harvey G. McKinney’s company, of which he was made first sergeant. Was ordered to Boonia station, near Vicksburg, where he was attached to company H, of the Fifth regiment, commanded by Col. James McCown. Was in the battle near Vicksburg, May 15th, 1863. May 18th, 1864, joined Johnston’s army at Kingston, and participated in the battle of New Hope church. He also took part in Hood’s raid on Nashville. Was wounded at Altoona station. His brigade was captured at the siege of Fort Blakely and sent to Ship Island, in the Gulf of Mexico. They were afterwards taken to Vicksburg and exchanged. He surrendered under Gen. Dick Taylor, May 12th, 1865. In 1873 he built the mill called by his name, situated on Rocky Fork, six miles north of Columbia. Since returning from the war he has followed milling and farming. He is now engaged in the milling business at Brown’s Station, in partnership with J.C. Dysart. In 1878 he made the race for assessor, but was beaten seventy-nine votes by M.G. Quinn. He was a candidate in 1880 before the primary election, but was again defeated. He is master of the Hallsville Grange, also a member of the Hallsville Masonic lodge, and the K.P.lodge, Columbia. He and his wife are members of the Christian church. His father died in Troy, New York in 1843. His mother is now living at Fox Lake, Wisconsin."
"John Todd Henry, Jr., deceased, was the son of John Todd Henry, Sr., and Sarah (Keene) Henry. John Todd Henry, Sr., was a native of Charlotte county, Virginia, and was born in 1762. He graduated at Prince Edward College, Virginia, now Hampden Sidney. He emigrated to Scott county, Kentucky, and was president of a college in Georgetown, where he died, February 23d, 1822. His wife was born in Maryland, in 1782, and moved to Scott county, Kentucky, with her parents, when a child. She came to Boone county, Missouri, in 1826, where she died in 1860. They had four sons and four daughters. Two children, one son and one daughter are dead. The living have all resided in Boone for fifty-six years, and in the same neighborhood. The oldest member of the family is Samuel L. Henry, who is now in his eighty-second year. John Todd Henry, Jr., was born in Scott county, Kentucky, August 5th, 1803, and was educated at the common schools of his native county. In early manhood he was constable of his township, and from 1826 to 1828, was deputy sheriff of Scott county, Kentucky. He was married, February 25th, 1834, to Miss Harriet, daughter of Capt. Francis and Elizabeth (Gordon) Coleman. The father of Mrs. Henry was a captain in the Revolutionery army. She was born December 21st, 1811. She is the only one living of a family of seven children. Mr. and Mrs. Henry have had seven children, two of whom died in infancy. The names of the living are John T., Samuel W., Sarah E., Robert E., and Emma. Mr. Henry came to Boone county in 1834, and settled on the farm upon which he died, August 5th, 1882. The farm is situated six miles northeast of Columbia, and consists of 440 acres, finely improved. When he settled this place there were but twelve acres of cleared land, he rest of the farm being in the woods. Mr. Henry was a member of the Methodist church. Mrs. Henry is a member of that church also."
"Branum Hern is entitled to the distinction of being one among the first settlers of Boone county. Many came at as early a date, and some were here earlier, but perhaps not one in a thousand of those old pioneers, take the county and State over, are alive today. The subject of this sketch was born in Madison county, Kentucky, December 23d, 1812, and when a lad of seven years came with his parents to Missouri, arriving in old Franklin, January 6th, 1819. They did not tarry long at that place, coming to Boone county within the same month of their arrival in Howard – but there was no distinction in those days, all the country of Central Missouri being then known as Howard county. He lived with his parents until he was seventeen, when he began to provide for himself, His father being a mechanic, he became one naturally. He was, even at the age of seventeen, very skillful as a wheel-wright, and found plenty of work, making spinning wheels, and turning bed-posts, for the people in those days depended almost exclusively upon their own mechanics for furniture, and the necessary appliances for spinning and weaving, there being as yet but little communication with the outer world. He worked in the shops until 1833, when he turned his attention exclusively to farming. In 1839 he purchased a tract of land containing 120 acres, six and one-half miles northeast of Rocheport, of which he has made the farm upon which he now lives. He has been twice married. His first wife was Emeline, daughter of John Barnes. They were married in January, 1833. His second wife was Lucy, daughter of George Crump. They were married in September, 1859. By the first marriage there are four living children: Mary Ann, relict of the late John Hunter; Hubbard, of Kansas; William of Bates county, Missouri; and Sally, wife of Armstead Garnard, also of Bates county."
"The subject of this sketch is the son of John and Lucinda (Collier) Hickam and was born in Boone county, September 18, 1835. His father was a native of Virginia and emigrated to Cole county, Missouri. In 1834 he came to Boone where James was born. At the age of nine, his father moved to Henry county, and then to Barry county. From Barry he moved back to Henry and from thence he moved to Cass county. From Cass he moved to Bates county and finally back to Cole county again where he died in 1856. At his father's death James went to Maries county, where the three counties of Maries, Osage and Miller corner upon each other. He lived there 12 or 13 years engaged in farming. From there he moved to Cooper county and lived there about four years, when he moved back to Boone, the county of his birth. He has been engaged in farming all his life until the spring of 1882, when he rented out his farm and engaged in the grocery business. He married, March 13, 1856, Miss Elizabeth Barnhart, daughter of Hoover and Elizabeth Barnhart. Seven children are living, viz., Salina Frances, Minerva C., John W., Radford, Eliza Evelyn, Eleanor and Conley. Mr. Hickam was a Confederate soldier under General Parsons, 9th Missouri, company C. He was captured at Rolla and taken to St Louis and incarcerated in McDowell's college. He was afterward sent to Alton until the war was nearly over, when he was exchanged at Vicksburg."
"Judge Joseph W. Hickam has probably spent more years in public life than any other man now living in Boone county. From early manhood to old age he has served his county in almost every capacity. He is the son of John and Christian Hickam, and was born in Washington county, Virginia. When about twelve years old he came to the territory of Missouri, and to what was then called Howard county, the Territory being then divided into four or five grand divisions, of which Howard county was one of the subdivisions. All of Boone county was then included in Howard. Judge Hickam landed at Head’s Fort in the fall of 1816, and the spring following came to Boone county, and settled on the farm now owned by Birch Hunt, situated in the river bottom. He remained on this place until the spring of 1819, when he moved to a place four miles south of Columbia. This farm, consisting of 320 acres, was bought from the government by Judge Hickam’s father. The elder Hickam had five sons and four daughters. Of this family, only four are now living. John Hickam was one of the earliest settlers of Boone county, and was an industrious enterprising citizen, a man possessed of many strong points of character. He left his children about ten thousand acres of land. Judge Hickam’s opportunities for securing an education were quite limited, from the fact that he left Virginia at an early age, and there were no schools in Missouri at the time he came to this State. He attended a subscription school for six months. Was afterward for twelve months a pupil of a school taught by Elijah Hart, an uncle of Thomas H. Benton. He next attended Washington College at Jonesborough, Tennessee, for a few months. His public life commenced at the age of sixteen, when he was elected captain of a militia company. He cast his first vote for Andrew Jackson, and has always been a Democrat. Was commissioned a justice of the peace by Gov. Miller in 1827, and served in that capacity for many years. In 1832 he was elected county court judge, and was presiding justice during a portion of the term. Was engrossing clerk of the lower house of the Missouri legislature from 1834 to 1839. From 1839 to 1858 he was superintendent of bridge building in Boone county. He also held the office of school commissioner until 1859, when he was appointed assessor by the county court. During the war he held no position but that of justice of the peace. Judge Hickam was first married to Miss Turley, of Madison county, Kentucky. By this union they had one daughter, Emeline, now the widow of Cornelius Maupin. The first wife having died in 1865, he was again married, July 4, 1867, to Malinda J., daughter of Maj. John and Temperance (Wright) Barclay, of Boone county. They have no children. Judge Hickam is not a member of any church nor of any secret society. His recollections of border life are of the most interesting and thrilling nature. Since retiring from the active duties of life he has lived quietly on his fine farm of 600 acres, one mile west of Columbia and one-fourth mile south of the gravel road, which has been his home for fifty-four years. He has been a prominent man all his life and is widely known and universally respected, as he deserves to be. Nearly the whole of his busy life has been spent in the service of his fellow-men, and his labors will survive him. Such men cannot be forgotten."
"Lycurgus P. Hickam’s parents, Ezekiel and Nancy (Sims) Hickam, were natives of the "Old Dominion," but emigrated to Missouri in an early day. L.P. Hickam was born in Boone county, February 26th, 1830. He was raised on the farm, and is himself a well-to-do farmer. His farm, consisting of 430 acres, is situated three miles southwest of Columbia, on the old Providence and Columbia plank road. His land is all under fence, and is well watered and timbered. The homestead is conveniently situated and is esteemed one of the most desirable in that vicinity. Mr. Hickam is a member of the Masonic order and a communicant of the Baptist church. He has been a church member for fifteen years, and at this writing is a deacon of the Bethel church."
"Col. Hickman is known to the entire West as one of the greatest temperance advocates living. He was born in Lexington, Kentucky, May 26, 1839, his parents – Hon. James L. Hickman and wife – being also natives of Kentucky. The family was originally from Virginia, and the colonel’s father was a gallant soldier of the war of 1812. Thomas Metcalfe, uncle of John J.’s mother, was governor of Kentucky from 1828 to 1832. Col. H. received his earlier education in the city of his birth, and after the death of his father (which occurred while John was still quite young), he went with his mother (a refined lady of the true American type) to southern Kentucky, where at the early age of nineteen, he was married to Miss Lizzie Hollingsworth, a lady one year younger than himself, and every way worthy of so distinguished a husband. In early married life he engaged in agricultural pursuits, afterwards studying law and medicine, but abandoned his professional studies at the commencement of the war. After the war he engaged in the life and fire insurance business of which he made an eminent success, always commanding the highest salaries. In May, 1867, he joined the South Carrollton Lodge No. 20, and at once became an active worker in the temperance cause. Soon afterwards he was commissioned State deputy with headquarters at Louisville and did valiant service. In October, 1868, he was himself elected G.W.C.T., and quit a lucrative employment to devote his entire time to the work of the order. He held the office three successive years, and retired with the gratification of knowing that under his administration the order had increased from 3,000 members with sixty working lodges, to 25,000 members with more than 500 working lodges. In one of those years, he organized 100 lodges with a chartered membership of more than 4,000, besides adding thousands to the lodges already established. He first entered the Right Worthy Grand Lodge at its Oswego, N.Y, session in May, 1869, and immediately took rank as a representative Good Templar, and was appointed R.W. Grand Marshal. At Baltimore he was elected R.W.G. Counsellor, and unanimously reelected at the Madison session in May, 1872. He did not attend the London session in 1873, but was elected R.W.G.T. the next year at the Boston session He was reelected in 1875, and yet again in 1876, and in the latter year was sent as a ‘missionary’ to Great Britain, where he spent several months reorganizing the Grand Lodges of England, Ireland, Scotland, Wales, and the Isle of Man. On his return, he declined a renomination at the Portland session, in 1877, and was succeeded by Theo. D. Kanouse, of Wisconsin, who retired after two years, and Col. Hickman was again elected R.W.G.T. He is the second man who has been recalled to that high office, after having gone out of it for any reason. "Col. Hickman is beyond question, the best known citizen, personally, of Boone county, his reputation as a temperance worker being world-wide, and his personal acquaintance being enjoyed by many eminent temperance people of Europe. His presence is commanding, and is of that easy dignity that invariable bespeaks a born gentleman. He is recognized by all as one of the greatest temperance orators living, and he certainly merits the full measures of the distinction to which he has attained. His family consist of his wife and two sons – James K. and Newton H. James K. married Miss Anna Woods, daughter of Adam Woods, of Howard county. Col. Hickman is now a citizen of Columbia, and is as zealous and untiring in the temperance cause as in the days of his earlier manhood. "Great in heart, deed, and morals, Columbia should be proud that he is numbered with the other distinguished citizens of the ‘Athens of Missouri.’"
"The subject of this sketch is the son of William Hickman, of Bourbon county, Kentucky. His mother was Mary Tureman, a native of Mason county, Kentucky. Thaddeus Hickman was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, February 14th, 1828, and was educated in the district schools of his neighborhood, He was one of two sons of a family of eleven children, six of whom are now living. After becoming of age he managed an estate belonging to his father and brother. Afterwards he commenced farming on his own responsibility in Pettis county, Missouri. The war having commenced, he left his farm and returned to Boone county, but did not actively engage in business until the close of the war. In 1867 he opened a store at Burlington, where he remained until the spring of 1875, when he moved to the old Tyre Martin farm, south of New Salem Church, where he now resides. He now turned his attention largely to breeding thoroughbred cattle. His stock was selected with great care of the best herds in Kentucky. By close and careful attention to business, he has attained much celebrity as a breeder of short horn cattle. His herd is one of the best in the country. One of his cows, Jenny Lind 7th, is winner of many prizes, among others a prize in Scotland; first prize as two-year old at Michigan (1872) State fair, and fine prizes subsequently. He has always purchased of the leading importers and keeps none but the best. He has cattle from the best herds of Kentucky, also from the herds of John P. Sanborn, Michigan; Ben Sumner, Connecticut, and D. S. Pratt, of Brattleboro, Vermont. Mr Hickman is a member of the Ashland grange."
"The subject of this sketch is the son of James A. and Sarah H. Hill, the latter being a daughter of Dr. George B. Wilcox, pioneer physician of Boone county. George was born in Rocheport, September 4th, 1847, and was reared and partially educated in the same town. When fifteen years old, he began to learn the blacksmith’s trade with Henderson Wheeler, at Rocheport, with whom he worked several years, still making his home with his parents. At the close of his apprenticeship he went to Greencastle, Indiana, where, after working at his trade for a short time, he started in to learn the harness-making. He held on a year, but found that close confinement was impairing his health. For the sake of change, he worked on a farm near Greencastle for two years, during which he had the misfortune to have his leg broken by a runaway team. Returning then to Rocheport, on his recovery, in 1870, he made his home with his mother, his father having died during his absence. A year later he moved on a farm near Columbia, which he worked two years, when he returned to Rocheport. After working awhile for his uncle, Judge Hinton, he was engaged by Mr. Wheeler to run his shop in Rocheport. A year later he associated himself with H.F. Williams in blacksmithing. They continued in that business till this writing. Mr. Hill was married on the 24th of March, 1878, to Miss Georgia Crump, of Rocheport. She died September 20th, 1879. Mr. Hill is a member of the Christian church, and his wife, at her death, belonged to the Baptist church. He is also a member of Rocheport Lodge No. 147, I.O.G.T., of which he is recording secretary."
"John Edward Hinman is the eldest son of Gen. William A. Hinman, and was born in Jacksonville, Illinois, November 16th, 1843. The family traces its origin back to the Pilgrim Fathers. Maj. Benjamin Hinman, the grandfather of John Edward, was the son of Deacon David who was son of Benjamin, Jr. and grandson of Benjamin, Sr., and great grandson of Edward Hinman. He married Anna Keyser, daughter of Captain John Keyser, a soldier of the revolution. The following children were born of this marriage: John Edward, Benjamin, Jr., Col. John J. and General William A., the father of the subject of this sketch, who was born July 11th, 1802. Col John E. Hinman received his title in 1821, when he was elected lieutenant colonel of the 134th regiment of New York militia. He held various other offices of trust and honor, and to the entire satisfaction of his constituents. He married Mary, daughter of G. C. Schroppel, of New York, and now resides in Utica. He has no children. Col. John J. married Huldah M. Sturtevant. He was a lawyer for several years but subsequently followed milling and merchandising. He had five children, all of whom are dead. He died in 1849. Capt. Benjamin, Jr., was a magistrate and captain of a company. He was never married. Maranda died in her twelfth year. Annis married Dr. Thomas Monroe, in Maryland. They have five children. They are now living at Rushville, Illinois, where the doctor is practicing his profession. Gen. William A. Himman, the father of John Edward, was educated for the law and was admitted to practice at the bar in Utica, New York. In 1832 he visited Illinois, and being charmed with the country, removed to Rushville where he dealt largely in real estate. He also served as surveyor-general of Illinois for several years and became quite familiar with the geography of the State He served as a general in the Blackhawk war of 1832. He was married, February 4th, 1843, to Miss Grace A. Kingsbury, daughter of an Episcopal minister. Two sons were born of this marriage, John E. and Edward M.C. The latter was born April 10th, 1847. He married Miss Josephine Long, daughter of Capt. Long of the United States army. He was in government service until his death in 1870. He left no children. His widow resides at Lewiston, Illinois. John E. was educated in St. Louis and at Rushville and Jacksonville, Illinois. He is a farmer and stock-raiser. He married Miss Sarah, daughter of Dr. J. C. Bywater of Ausburn, New York. They had one child, Grace, born January 6th, 1867. The first wife dying in 1877, he was married to Miss Flora, daughter of Rev. William E. Johnson of Canada. They have one child, Edward Willie, born August 13th, 1878. Mr. Hinman came to Boone county in 1869, in company with his father, and settled at Centralia when less than a dozen buildings constituted the entire town. He purchased 400 acres of land north of and in close proximity to the village. At first he kept a hay press. He is now engaged in farming and stock-raising. He keeps some well-bred horses. In politics he is a Democrat. He is a member of the Episcopalian church, and a member of the Knights of Pythias and Ancient Order United Workmen."
"Dr. Hockensmith is a son of Newton and Jane (Palmer) Hockensmit, and was born June 28, 1846, in Independence, Jackson County, Missouri. His father was a native of Jessamine county, Kentucky. He first settled at Richmond, Ray county, Missouri, and from there he moved to Independence, Missouri. His mother, Jane Palmer, was a daughter of Elder Frank Palmer, a noted divine, and a member of the board of curators of the State University. She was also a niece of ex-Gov. Robinson, of Kentucky. When the cholera scourged Independence so terribly in 1852, Dr. Hockensmith’s family were sorely stricken, himself, wife and one daughter dying of that dread disease within forty-eight hours. He was a leading physician of Independence. By their marriage they had four children, three boys and one girl, none of whom are living save our subject who was the second child. Dr. Hockensmith has a thorough education – going first to Dover High School, Liberty High School, Missouri; Westminster College at Fulton, Missouri, and at the Kentucky University, Lexington, Kentucky. While at Lexington he studied for the ministry, and was ordained to preach in the Christian Church at Independence, Missouri. He preached occasionally at Kansas City, but his first regular charge was at Plattsburg, Missouri, where he remained two years. He then came to Columbia, and did evangelical work in Boone, Callaway and Howard counties, practicing dentistry when not actively engaged in his nobler work. While living at Independence he studied medicine under Dr. Bryant, father of President George S. Bryant, of Christian College, Columbia, Missouri. He attended one session of the medical department of the State University in 1873 and 1874, and has been practicing dentistry for three years in Columbia. He enjoys a large and remunerative practice, and is a gentleman in the fullest sense. He was married November 1, 1866, to Miss Jennie, daughter of Samuel and Martha (Jeffries) Watson, of Callaway county, Missouri. By this union they have had four children, two boys and two girls. Frank (deceased), Rowena, Fannie and Watson. He is one of the leaders of the Christian Church at Columbia, and is also president of the board of county commissioners of Boone county."
This gentleman is a son of John and Elizabeth (Tankersley) Hocker, both of whom were natives of Lincoln county, Kentucky, and moved to Monroe county, Missouri, in 1830. In the latter county the subject of this sketch was born November 1st 1832. Dr. Hocker was reared on a farm, acquiring his rudimentary education in the common schools. At the age of sixteen he set in to learn the carpenter's trade, and also learned cabinet-making. In 1852 he moved to McKinney, Collin county, Texas, where he resided fourteen years, engaged in the manufacture of furniture. When the civil war came on, Dr. H. enlisted, in 1861, in Col. Stone's regiment of Texas volunteers, and gave his services to the cause of the Confederacy. In the winter of 1862 he returned home and assisted in recruiting a company for Col. Alexander's regiment. Hocker was commissioned second lieutenant, and was the officer sent by Gen. Pike from Ft. Gibson, soon after the battle of Pea Ridge, under a flag of truce, to Gen. Curtis, to adjust the difficulties concerning the "scalping" done by the Indian allies of both Federals and Confederates. He withdrew from Alexander's regiment in 1863, and was appointed hospital steward in Col. L. M. Martin's regiment, which position he held till the close of the war. In 1866 he returned to Missouri and settled in Centralia, Boone county,, engaging in the furniture business. In 1867 he moved to Middle Grove, Monroe county, and engaged in the drug business till 1871. He then moved back to Centralia, where he continued in the drug business till 1881, when he embarked in the real estate business, in which he is still engaged. Dr. H. has been three times elected mayor of Centralia, and is honoring that position at the time of this writing. In 1880 he was elected a member of the Centralia school board, and it is chiefly due to his efforts that that city is today blessed with an elegant public school building Dr. H. has been three times married. His first wife was Loumira E. Wilkerson, daughter of Milton and Jane Wilkerson, of Florida, Monroe county, Missouri, to whom he was married August 26, 1852. She died in McKinney, Texas, in 1865, having borne him one son, James W., now a druggist of Centralia. On January 22, 1867, he was again married to Miss A.E. Snell, daughter of Judge Granville Snell, of Monroe county. This lady died February 21st, 1874, leaving three children, Charles, Walter and Mary. Dr. Hocker was married again in 1874, to Miss Emma, daughter of Albert and Sarah Gibbons, of Boone county. Three children have been born of this last union, Regina, Philip S. and Vesta. He has been a Mason since 1856, and organized the lodge at Middle Grove, of which he was for two years master. Since 1852 he has been a member of the Christian church, and is in everything an earnest, substantial citizen. The doctor's literary attainents may be judged from the fact that he boldly attacked the whole school of infidel scientists, in an ably-written pamphlet entitled "Science and Revelation," in which he vindicates the faith of the faithful, and shows the necessity of a great First Cause."
"Col. Eli Hodge was born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, October 28th, 1839, and came with his father to Boone county in 1857. He followed farming until 1861, when he cast his fortunes with the South, joining Peacher’s company of what was then known as the Missouri State Guard. He enlisted as a private and participated in the battles of Drywood and Lexington. In the spring of 1862 became adjutant of Col. Gid. Thompson’s regiment. Was in the Lone Jack fight and at Elkhorn, where he was wounded in the thigh. Took part in the battle of Prairie Grove where his horse was shot. Was at Springfield, Cape Girardeau and Hartville, and in fact all the battles in which Gen. Joe Shelby took part. In he fall of 1864 came into Boone, Audrain and Howard recruiting for Confederate service. At Waverly was placed in command of 485 men and started for Price’s army, but failed to join it on the retreat from Independence. He went in a southwest direction. En route was attacked by Federals at Cassville, where he lost 150 men, killed, captured and missing. Finally reached the Confederate army at Clarksville, Texas. On the reorganization of Col. D. Williams’ regiment he was made a lieutenant-colonel. When the army disbanded he was at Corsicana, Texas. He went into Old Mexico, where he stayed for three years. Returned to Boone county in 1868. In 1874 was elected collector. On assuming the duties of this office, removed to Columbia where he still resides. Served two years as collector. Was a member of the board of trustees for two years and a school director when the new schoolhouse was contracted for. Col. Hodge was married September 1, 1868, to Mary L. Craig, a native of Virginia, but at the time of her marriage a resident of Boone county. They have had five children, four of whom are now living. Col. Hodge is a member of the Masonic order, a K.P., A.O.U.W. and K. of H. He is also a member of the Baptist church. Mrs. Hodge is a Presbyterian."
"This gentleman, the senior member of the firm of C. C. Hopper & Co., dealers in groceries, provisions, etc., Columbia, is a son of James E. and Mary (Herrington) Hopper, and was born in Boone county, November 13, 1842. His father, James Hopper, Jr., is still living on his farm, five miles south of Columbia; his mother died in 1877. On his father’s side Mr. Hopper is of Irish descent, and his immediate ancestors were among the pioneers of this county. His grandfather, James Hopper, Jr. [sic], was a native of Kentucky, and came to Boone about the year 1824. "C. C. Hopper was raised on his father’s farm and received a good common school education. At the age of twenty-one he started in life for himself, first working for James McConathy, the noted Boone county miller and distiller. Two years later he bought a farm, six miles south of Columbia, on which he lived some ten years, when he came to Columbia and engaged in the grocery and drug trade. After following this business some three years, he abandoned it on account of failing health and returned to his farm. In 1879 he again came to Columbia and, after running a meat market for about a year, he engaged in his present business. He still owns his farm, however. "October 22, 1863, Mr. Hopper married Miss Annie Groom, a native of Boone county, and a daughter of James and Maria (Payne) Groom, of Kentucky. Mr. and Mrs. Hopper are the parents of six living children, viz: Robert, William, Virginia, Ida Lenoir, James Henderson and John Bingham. Mr. and Mrs. H. are both members of the Methodist church, and Mr. H. belongs to the Knights of Honor."
"Was born in Chesterfield county, Virginia, December 29, 1787. His parents were agricultural people, and he was reared on te farm. In 1812 he was married to Miss Keturah Morgan, near Richmond, and soon afterwards moved to that city, where he engaged in the manufacture of barrels for the large flouring mills there. While living in Virginia he served in the war of 1812, in the commissary department. In 1819 he moved to Howard county, Missouri, and bought a farm eight miles east of Fayette, and remained there 20 years, next removing to Randolph county and locating three miles east of Huntsville, on which farm he remained till 1864, when he moved to St. Louis. Remaining there two years, he next moved to Columbia, Boone county, where he remained until his death. He died March 8, 1867, while on a visit to his son, James S. Horner, of Huntsville, being in his seventy-ninth year. After coming to Missouri he enlisted in the militia for the purpose of repelling some Indian attacks in Missouri. He was colonel of the militia in Howard county for eight years, and on leaving was succeeded by Col. Joe Davis. In 1838, during the Mormon war, he was appointed paymaster by Gov. Boggs, with the rank of colonel. In paying off the troops, after payment was made, his clerk informed him that a considerable amount remained to his credit on account of the odd cents not being paid to the soldiers on settlement. Col. Horner instantly directed the clerk to return it to the State treasury, which was done, being the only instance of the kind on record, and fully exemplifying the character and integrity of the man. He was also appointed to pay off the Missouri troops after the Black Hawk war. He served one term in the State legislature, and was a member of the State senate when the civil war came up, and was among the number who repaired to Neosho pursuant to the call of Gov. Jackson. Though a pronounced Southern man in his feelings, he was too old to take any active part in the war. On account of his sympathies he was compelled to leave his farm and move to St. Louis. "Col. Horner became the father of ten children, five sons and five daughters, eight of whom lived to be grown: Sarah A.E., Edward B., John P., Lucy J., Fannie H., Laura R., James S., and Rebecca J. Only Sarah, John P. and Lucy J. are living at this writing, and all reside in Columbia. John P. Horner is one of the most substantial business men of the county, and has held several important official and political trusts since his residence here. He is a leading Democrat, and one of the most efficient members of the M. E. Church South. Col. Major H. was also an active member of the same church, having united therewith when about twenty years of age. He was likewise a Democrat, prominent in politics, and so rigid a temperance man that from the age of twenty-five years, he never so much as tasted liquor even for medical purposes. He was one of the earliest curators of the University, and assisted in selecting the site on which the lunatic asylum is located at Fulton, and participated in laying the corner stone of that institution. At one time he was one of the county court judges of Randolph county, which, like all other trusts, he discharged faithfully. He lies buried at the family burying ground at Sugar Creek church, in Randolph county, having passed a life of honor of which his children and friends may ever speak with pride and gratitude."
"The subject of this sketch was born near Hallsville, Rocky Fork township, Boone county, Missouri, July 18, 1823. His father, Wm. L. Houston, was born in Rockbridge county, Virginia, removing with his parents to Knoxville, Tennessee. From Knoxville, Mr. Houston went to Hopkinsville, Kentucky, where he learned the hatter’s trade, and was married. His wife was born and raised in North Carolina. It was while on a visit to friends in Kentucky that she first met Mr. Houston whom she subsequently married. In 1818 Mr. Houston emigrated to Missouri, settling near Hallsville, Boone county, his primitive home being isolated by the distance of five miles from the residence of any human being of his own race. Here the old pioneer lived out the remainder of his quiet, useful days. His wife, Rebecca, survived him, finally dying at the residence of their son-in-law, James B. Reed, in Audrain county, Missouri, May 19, 1882, at the advanced age of eighty-five years. Mr. Houston was the first hatter within the range of many miles of Hallsville. He was a kind husband and father, but austere in manner and of most solemn deportment. He was in the organization of the first Christian church west of the Mississippi river. He and his wife were of the original members of the Old Red Top church which still exists, being today one of the most flourishing churches in the county. He was buried in the Red Top cemetery. Mr. Houston was the first cousin of Sam Houston, ‘the Washington of Texas.’ Cicero Houston was married first in 1849 to Miss Mary Ann Hall, born in Albemarle county, Virginia, in 1830. She was the daughter of John W. and Sally Hall, both of whom were raised in Virginia. The parents of Mrs. Houston emigrated to Missouri in 1835 and settled near Hallsville, in Boone county. Her father was the first postmaster at Hallsville, the office taking its name from him. Mrs. Houston died April 20, 1870, leaving one child, a son, who at this writing is married and lives near Hallsville. The subject of this sketch was again married in 1874, his second wife being Mrs. Maggie Fenton, born 1832, and raised in Boone county. She was the daughter of John and Delila Connelly and widow of Andrew J. Fenton. She had two children by her first marriage, one of whom is married, the other residing with Mr. Houston. Mr. Houston and his wife are members of the Christian church, and have been since early youth. Mr. Houston’s first wife was also a member of the same church. William L. Houston, son of Cicero Houston by his first wife, is a graduate of Missouri State University. He is now farming near Hallsville. Both the elder and younger Houston are prosperous farmers. They have about 500 acres of land in Boone and 800 in Audrain county, Missouri, all of which is enclosed. Their land is well adapted to the growth of wheat, corn, oats, hay, in fact all crops indigenous to our climate. They handle considerable stock, their facilities for this business being very good. The elder Houston has spent most of his life in the vicinity of Hallsville. He was a soldier under Gen. Price during the Mexican war, and afterwards spent four years in California."
"George Hubbard is the son of John and Mary (Ballou) Hubbard, natives of Kentucky, where their son George was born November 17th, 1805. They emigrated to Callaway county, Missouri, in 1831, and to Boone the year following, settling the place where Mr. Hubbard now resides. The subject of this sketch is the fourth son and fourth child of a family of four boys and two girls, two sons and one daughter of whom are now living Mr Hubbard has been a farmer all his life. He was married in Kentucky, August 12th, 1829, to Miss Patsy H. Gibbs, daughter of Alexander Gibbs. They have three sons and six daughters, of whom two sons and four daughters are living, all in Boone. He has been a member of New Salem Baptist church since 1840. His farm consists of 400 acres, situated six miles northeast of Ashland and fifteen miles southeast of Columbia."
"Dr. Paul Hubbard, the subject of this sketch, is the son of Moses and Abigail (Titus) Hubbard, of Schoharie county, New York, where he was born, August 14th, 1818. He was educated in his native county, attending Schoharie Academy, afterwards graduating at the medical college of Castleton, Vermont. He practiced his profession in Windham Center, New York, for ten years, afterwards at Albany, New York for a short period. November 24th, 1841, he was married to Miss Elizabeth M., daughter of Peter Dominick. By this marriage they had three children, two sons and one daughter: Lorenzo Dominick, who died at the age of nine years, and Socrates, now an officer in the United States navy, with commission of Lieutenant-commander. His vessel is connected with the South American fleet. He entered the navy in 1861 and is esteemed one of the best educated and most competent officers in the service. He was born March 18th, 1844. Minnie E., their only daughter, was born November 24th, 1849. She was married, November 29th, 1871, to Paul Waples, and is now living in Sherman, Texas. The first wife having died June 8th, 1879, Dr. Hubbard was again married August 25th, 1880, to Mrs. Lucy B. Shields (nee Field), widow of William C. Shields, formerly professor of ancient languages in the Missouri State University. Dr. Hubbard came to Columbia in the fall of 1854, having previously spent several years in California, where he was assistant surgeon of the marine hospital, his brother, Lorenzo, being resident surgeon. On arriving in Columbia he commenced the practice of his profession – dentistry – which he has followed most of the time since. He acquired the theoretical part of his profession at Philadelphia Dental College in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, but long practice and careful study has added greatly to his skill as a practitioner, and he has now perhaps no superior in the country. He was a military surgeon for three years during the war, with headquarters at Columbia; was also surgeon of Gen. J. B. Douglass’ command. He was State Senator in 1867 and 1868. While a member of the legislature he introduced the bill providing for the establishment of a normal department in connection with the State University; also a bill providing for the repairing of the president’s mansion and the University building, and, with Mr. Spaunhorst, representative from St. Louis, drafted and put through a bill requiring that one and three-fourths of seventy-five percent of the State revenue be appropriated to the University. The bill passed and the University received from $10,000 to $12,000 a year. Dr. Hubbard was a curator of the University from 1867 to 1877, and was business agent of the institution from 1871 to 1877. Has held the position of United States pension surgeon since the war, but resigned because it interfered with his professional duties. He was city recorder in 1857, or 1858. Before coming to Missouri, was coroner of Green county, New York, for four years; also school commissioner for the town of Wright, Schoharie county, New York. In 1880 he bought a farm of fifty acres in the suburbs of Columbia, which he has improved until it is now one of the handsomest homesteads in Boone county. He has an office for the practice of dentistry at his home, where he is prepared to do all kinds of work in his line."
The subject of this sketch was born in Georgetown, Kentucky, June 4th, 1825. He moved with his father, Capt. W. D. Hubbell, to Howard county in 1839. Captain Hubbell was an old steamboat man, having gone on the river as early as 1818. Was clerk of the first steamer that ever passed up the Mississippi river above Old Franklin. This was in 1819. In 1841, J. P. Hubbell went to Liberty, Missouri. In 1849 he went into business as a member of the firm of Hubbell & Brothers, and continued in this business until the war broke out. He then moved to Ray county, where he remained until the war closed, taking no part in the struggle. In 1865 he went to Carrollton, Illinois, where he remained until the fall of 1868, when he came to Columbia, Missouri, where he has resided ever since, engaging in the drug, livery and dry goods business. In 1881, became a member of the firm of Hubbell, White & Co. Mr. Hubbell was married November 20th, 1849, to Miss Ann Maria, daughter of Thomas M. Morton, a native of Kentucky. The town of Morton, Ray county, Missouri, was named in honor of Mrs. Hubbell. They have three daughters and two sons living. Two of the daughters are graduates of Christian College. Anna M. is the wife of J. B. Johnson, of St. Joseph, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Hubbell are members of the Christian Church. Finley D., a promising youth is with his father in the store. Mr. Hubbell is an active business man, and notwithstanding some bad luck – he had a security debt of $5,000 to pay about the close of the war – has prospered in all his undertakings."
"Aaron L. Hulen, the subject of this sketch, is the son of James Hulen, and was born in Randolph county, Missouri, November 8th, 1852. He was raised on the farm and educated at the common schools of the county. Married Miss Martha, daughter of James E. Dry, of Monroe county, Missouri. They have one daughter. Mr. Hulen sold his farm in Monroe county and removed to Boone in 1882, purchasing 120 acres one mile west of Centralia, upon which he has erected a broom factory. He has considerable experience in the bsiness, and his brooms meet with ready sale. He is a member of the Christian church. He formerly taught school of winters. He is a Democrat in politics."
"C. B. Hulen was born in Bath county, Kentucky, November 16, 1833. He is the son of John C. and Sallie (nee Bruton) Hulen. Mr. Hulen’s parents were natives of Kentucky, his father of Madison, his mother of Montgomery county. He left Kentucky when ten years of age. They emigrated to Boone county, where the subject of this sketch has resided ever since. He was married, August 29, 1860, to Mary F., daughter of J. V. and Mary Kemper. They have one child named Vard. Mr. Hulen has been engaged for the last ten years in buying and selling mules and horses, making Sturgeon his shipping point. He took no part in the war, remaining in Illinois until it was over. In 1865 he moved to a farm three miles south of Sturgeon where he has lived ever since. He and his wife are both members of the Christian church. Mr. Hulen is a warm-hearted, whole-souled man, universally liked by all who know him." [Since the foregoing sketch has been in type, Mr. Hulen died in St. Louis, of apoplexy, Sept. 28, 1882.]
"Columbus D. Hulen is the son of John A. Hulen, a native of Indiana, who came to Missouri in 1835. The grandfather on the paternal side was Taylor Hulen, on the maternal side, Stephen Hulett. Columbus D. was one of four children, being the only son of his parents. He was educated at the Missouri State University. He married Lucy V. Robinson, daughter of George Robinson, of Winchester, Clark county, Kentucky. They have two children, Lyman T. and Lizzie B. After graduating in 1871, Mr. Hulen taught school for two terms when he went to farming and has followed that business ever since. He owns a farm of 120 acres."
"Taylor H. Hulen was born in Kentucky, Septeember 12, 1824. He came to Missouri in 1832, when a small boy, and was educated at the common schools in the neighborhood of his home In 1846 he was married to Miss Narcissa, daughter of William Turner. By this union they had ten children, five of each sex, all of whom are living but one. The first wife having died in 1868, he was again married, the second wife being Mrs. Margaret Roberts, late widow of Shelton Roberts, of Boone county, and a daughter of Andrew Gooding They have four children, two of each sex. Mr. Hulen followed farming until 1880, when he built the livery stable he now owns, in connection with his partner, Jerry Bush, at Centralia, Missouri. Mr. Hulen is a member of the Methodist church. He takes a lively interest in public matters, and is a friend and zealous worker in the cause of education. Mrs. Hulen is a member of the Christian church."
"The subject of this sketch is a Kentuckian, and was born in Mercer county, June 15th, 1830. His parents, Edward and Rebecca Hulett, moved to this State in 1832, and settled in Rocheport, Boone county, where William was reared. He began learning the saddler’s and harness-maker’s trades at the age of sixteen, his ‘boss’ being Mr. Henry Tumy, with whom he not only mastered the art, but worked for him eight years after he had learned it and became a skilled workman. In 1856, he went to Sturgeon, this county, and opened up in the business for himself, where he remained till 1860. Returning to Rocheport, he did not again go into business, as the war was upon us, and no one could tell what the end would be. In 1862, Mr. Hulett enlisted in company A, of Col. Poindexter’s regiment of Confederates, and served eighteen months, when he was discharged on account of bad health, and allowed to take his own course. He was out of business till the spring of ‘66 when he started a shop in Rocheport, and has so continued ever since. In the fall of ‘78 he established the livery business in connection with his harness shop, and does a substantial business in both lines. Mr. H. has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Zerelda, daughter of William Phillips, of Rocheport, to whom he was married in 1852. She died the following year, and he was again married, in 1855, to Miss Judith Hunt, daughter of L. B. Hunt, an old resident of this county. Mr. Hulett has five children: Effie O., (wife of Ernest Granberry), Daniel E., William B., Pearl and Paul. The first named and her mother belong to the Christian church. Mr. H. belongs to the Rocheport lodge of A.O.U.W. Early in life, Mr. Hulett had the misfortune to contract the habit and love of strong drink; and though he made money rapidly, he failed to hold it, being fond of jovial companions and the cup that cheers. However, he was fortunate enough to see the folly of such a course of dissipation, and formed a firm resolve to stop it then and there. By the force of a strong will he was enabled to keep his resolution, the result of which was complete reformation. Mr. H. deserves much credit for thus manfully conquering a depraved appetite, which, alas! So many fail to do; and the historian records this by permission of Mr. Hulett, in the hope that there are ‘foot-prints, which perhaps another, seeing, shall take heart again.’ Since his change of life, he has prospered exceedingly well. He owns one of the most pleasant residences in Rocheport, and his shop and livery stable are models of thrift and neatness. The rank that Mr. H. now occupies in business and social circles, shows what any man can do who only wills."
"The subject of this sketch was born in Delaware county, New York, September the 16th, 1813, and lived there with his parents until he married, which was on the 22nd of June, 1837, to Miss Acenith W. Armstrong, of the same county. He came to Missouri in ompany with his father and on the 19th of July, 1837, reached the watermill upon Perche, at Gillaspy’s bridge. He shortly afterwards moved to the farm where he lived the rest of his life. He was without means when he arrived in Boone county, but by hard work and dogged perseverance he soon had a farm of his own. His brother, Hamilton J. Hultz, had come out to Missouri the year before. He is now a prominent physician of Louisville, Kentucky. C. P. Hultz was a great reader and kept his mind well stored with literary ‘good things.’ Though no politician he was a ready and fluent speaker upon the current topics of the day. He worked his way up from a poor boy and at his death left each of his children a handsome property. He farmed and traded in stock generally. He died November 12th, 1878, and his wife died June 25th, 1876. She was a member of the Missionary Baptist church at Bethel. They left four children none of whom are married and are all living in this county. Marshal J. is living upon the northeast quarter of section thirty-four, township forty-eight and range thirteen; Manlius E. is living upon the southeast quarter of section nine, township forty-eight and range thirteen. Edgar M. and Virginia S. still live upon the old homestead. Manilus E., our subject, was born in Boone county, December 10th, 1849. He lived upon the old home-place until the spring of 1882, when he moved to his present home. He was educated at the University going until he reached the last year of the course, when he went one year to the Medical Department. He has a fine farm of four hundred acres, and is building a handsome residence."
"Lafayette Hume, for many years a prominent business man and farmer of Boone county, is the son of Lewis and Henrietta (McBain) Hume, of Madison county, Kentucky. They came to Missouri in 1819 and settled six miles south of Columbia, on the Providence road. He died December 24th, 1874, aged sixty-nine years. He is buried on the home place. Mrs. Hume is a native of Maryland. She is now living, at the age of eighty-two. Lafayette Hume was born in Boone county, July 18th, 1834, and was reared on the farm and educated at the common schools, attending what was then known as the Pace district school, six miles south of Columbia. He is one of a family of six children, five sons and one daughter. He was married May 26th, 1857, to Miss Lemira Ann, daughter of G. L. and Sallie (Sims) Hickam. Six children have been born to them, five sons and one daughter. Mr. Hume commenced business in Columbia, on Court-house street, in 1849, dealing in dry goods and general merchandise. He continued in this business for sixteen years. During this period he passed safely through several panics that brought disaster and ruin to thousands. The firm consisted of Lafayette, Reuben and James R. Hume, brothers of the subject of this sketch. In the midst of the war they closed out their business. At the close of the war, Mr. Hume, in company with Allen Park, deceased, opened a store under the firm name of Hume & Park, which they continued for three or four years. In 1868 he dissolved partnership with Mr. Park and opened a general grocery house for himself, conducting this business until 1876, when he took in W. T. Shock and George W. Henderson as partners, the firm name being Henderson, Shock & Co. Continued with this firm four years, then returned to his old stand on Court-house street, where he opened a grocery-store under the firm name of Hume & Brother. His extensive acquaintance and popularity as a business man has already brought to the new firm a large and profitable trade. The subject of this sketch has been in business for thirty-three years and has never failed nor seen the day that he could not satisfy all business demands against him, dollar for dollar. For the last twenty-two years he has owned several fine farms, which he runs in connection with his other business. The home place, upon which his family now resides, contains 320 acres. It is situated two miles west of Columbia. He owns another farm of 235 acres, four and one-half miles southwest of Columbia. The third farm, consisting of 160 acres, is located five and one-half miles southeast of Columbia, making in all 715 acres of excellent land, well improved and in a high state of cultivation. Mr Hume is an Odd Fellow and a member of the Christian church. Mrs. Hume and one son, George, are also members of the same church. Mr. Hume as been town trustee for ten years, and treasurer of his lodge for four or five years. He was in the Columbia and Centralia stage at the time of its capture by Bill Anderson, on the day of the massacre, of which he was an eye-witness. There were with him at the time Maj. Rollins, James Waugh, Boyle Gordon and several others from Columbia. He lost one hundred and forty dollars in cash and an overcoat valued at forty dollars."
"Mr. Hunt was born in Boone county, Missouri, May 16th, 1841, and is the son of Linnaeus and Rebecca (Brushwood) Hunt. He received a good common school education, and grew to manhood in his native county. During the war he travelled in New Mexico, Colorado, Nebraska and Iowa. He returned to Boone county when the war closed, and went to farming, and has continued in the business ever since. He was married February 13th, 1879, to Miss Kate, daughter of Solomon and Pernecia (Collett) Stickell. She was born in Troy, Lincoln county, Missouri. Her father was a native of Maryland, and her mother was born and reared in Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Hunt have two children, both living, Nellie Stickell and Robert. Mrs. Hunt is a member of the Christian Church at Rocheport, and Mr. Hunt is a Mason, holding his membership at Rocheport. He lives on the northwest quarter of section thirty-six, township forty-eight and range fourteen. He is a very clever gentleman, and his house is noted for old-time hospitality."
"W. B. Hunt was born in Boone county, Missouri, September 18th, 1831. He is the son of Linnaeus and Rebecca (Brushwood) Hunt, who were born, reared and married in Fluvanna county, Virginia. They came to Missouri in 1821. Wm. B. was educated at the common schools in his father’s neighborhood, and grew to manhood upon the place where he was born. In 1850 he and his father went to California, where his father died in 1851. He was married in 1855, in Boone county, Missouri, to Mary Ann, daughter of Benjamin Conley. By this union they have had six children, five living and one dead. M. Ella married John H. Alsop, of New Franklin, Howard county; Benjamin B.; Laura F. married to John F. Wilhite, near Rocheport; Linnaeus L., Sanford Conley and Wm. B. (dead). Mr. Hunt has been engaged in farming all his life, save the four years he spent in California in mining. He has been until recently the largest wheat grower in the county, and in 1882 made the largest yield. He has a splendid farm, handsomely kept, and showing unmistakable signs of thrift and culture. He raises corn, wheat and hogs, making, however, a specialty of wheat. He has sown the same piece of land in wheat for fourteen years, the last crop averaging twenty-seven and one-half bushels to the acre. Mr. Hunt is one of Boone’s representative men, and one whom all respect."
"The subject of this sketch was born in New York, July 24th, 1834. He is the son of James P. Huntington, and of English-French origin. He came to Missouri in March, 1866, and settled in Boone county. He purchased 600 acres of land in the vicinity of the ‘Model Farm,’ where he has since resided. Mr. Huntington is largely engaged in the live stock business, making Jersey and Durham cattle and thoroughbred sheep his specialties. Two hundred acres of his farm are in blue grass. He has one of the finest orchards in the county. Mr. Huntington was married to Miss Addie Barton, daughter of S. Barton, a merchant. They have four children, three sons and one daughter. Mr. Huntington is a member of the A.F. & A.M. order. He has always taken an active part in public school work, but has no political aspirations. Was in the United States service during the late civil war and was wounded at the battle of Bull Run. He was first lieutenant under Col Stiles. Mr. Huntington has a substantial, well-built mansion furnished with all the modern improvements and conveniences of a well-ordered city residence. His yard and lawn are beautifully ornamented with flowers and shrubbery, arranged in the most beautiful and tasty manner. Mr. Huntington is highly appreciated by all who know him. He is a good neighbor, a genial companion and prompt and faithful in the discharge of all the duties of citizenship."
"Prof. William P. Hurt is a native of Montgomery county, Kentucky, where he was born November 22, 1824. His parents, John P. and Elizabeth (Pebworth) Hurt, moved to Sangamon county, Illinois, in 1839, but did not remain there but one year, when they returned to Montgomery county, Kentucky, where the subject of this sketch received such education as the common school could impart. At the age of eighteen he taught school in Clark county, Kentucky. In 1844-45, attended school at the Highland Institute, Mount Sterling, Kentucky. In 1846 he resumed teaching in his native county. In the summer of that year he enlisted in the Mexican war, in Company I, Second regiment, Kentucky volunteers. He volunteered as a private, but was elected a sergeant. Was in the battle of Buena Vista, and was mustered out of service, June 9th, 1847, at New Orleans. He returned to his native county and resumed teaching, continuing in this business until 1849. He was married June 9th, 1848, to Miss Kitty Ann, daughter of David and Rebecca (Jackson) Bruton. They have had seven children, two sons and five daughters. He taught school in his native county until 1850, when he moved to Greencastle, Indiana, where he taught one year. Returning to Montgomery county, he continued to teach until 1852, when he moved to Boone county, Missouri, and settled near Hallsville. His father-in-law, David Bruton, accompanied him. He taught in the country until the year following, when he was engaged as professor of mathematics in Columbia college, Columbia, Missouri. He held this position for two years. This was during the presidency of John A. Williams. In 1855 he was engaged as principal of Prairie Institute, Audrain county, Missouri, which position he held for two years. In 1857 returned to Christian College, and taught mathematics for one year, under President Wilkes. From 1858 to 1877, taught under President Rogers. He was also a partner with the president from 1871 to 1876. In 1878, was associated with President Bryant in conducting the institution. At the close of the collegiate year he retired, ans has not taught any since. He recently traded his town property to F. Wilcox, for a farm five miles east of Columbia."