p. 592 - "JAMES T. JACKSON.
"James T. Jackson, dealer in hardware and farming implements, Sturgeon, Missouri, was born in Madison county, Virginia, April 5th, 1850. His father, Thomas M. Jackson, was a native of Virginia. He came to this State in 1832. He was a tinner and worked at his trade until his health failed, when he returned to Virginia, taking his family with him. James remained in Virginia until he was nineteen years of age, when he returned to his native State, coming direct to Sturgeon, where he remained for a few months. He then went to Roanoke, Howard county, where he attended school one session. Returning to Sturgeon, he entered the High School, taught by Col. J. J. Searcy, remaining a student of this institution for two sessions. He then went to work for Dr. J. S. Lockridge and J. F. Rucker, on a brick-yard. The following winter he fed cattle for Dr. Lockridge. The summer following he made up a herd of cattle and grazed them on the prairie. Returning to Sturgeon he bought an interest in a drug store and commenced business with W. H. Goin. This was in 1871. April 30th, 1872, he was married to Miss M. F. Rucker, sister of Major John F. Rucker and daughter of John D. and Lucy J. (nee Linsley) Rucker. They have two children, Lloyd R. and Annie Cornelia. He is a member of the Knights of Honor and A.O.U.W. He also belongs to the M.E. Church South. He has held several offices under the city government of Sturgeon. He commenced the hardware business in 1874, and has been doing a growing business ever since. He is one of the substantial and reliable business men of Sturgeon."
"Was born in Boone county, Missouri, July 29, 1856, on the old homestead settled by his father, Dr. G. R. Jacobs, whose biography is also published in this volume. David was educated at the Virginia Military Institute and at the St. Louis University. He also attended school at Lexington, Kentucky. He was married on the 14th of March, 1878, to Miss Belle Rollins, daughter of John C. Rollins (deceased), and niece of the Hon. J. S. Rollins, of Columbia. They have two children – Wayne R. and Louisa M. Jacobs; has always been a farmer, and owns a large farm of 520 acres six miles east of Columbia, most of which is sown in blue-grass. At this writing Mr. Jacobs is giving his attention to raising live stock, both sheep and cattle. He is a member of the Catholic church, and Mrs. Jacobs belongs to the Episcopal church, of Columbia."
"Is the son of -??-_Johnson and Mary (Turley) Johnson, and was born May 10th, 1826. He is a posthumous child, his father having died before he was born. His father settled in what is known as the Boone’s Lick country in Howard county, Missouri. After his father’s death, his mother came to Columbia, and, being poor, the older boys were ‘bound out’ and an aunt took the only daughter. The subject of our notice was adopted by L. L. Pace, and reared upon the farm which Mr. Johnson now owns. He went to the country schools and what was then called Rockbridge Academy, and later, he attended the University for three years. He has been a farmer all of his life, and is one of Boone’s well-to-do, staunch citizens. In 1849 he went with a party to New Mexico, when the Far West was the Eldorado of all the young, and many of the old men of the country. Shortly after leaving Missouri he took the cholera, and died, as his comrades thought. All preparations were made for his burial, when they discovered their cattle had strayed off. So they postponed the obsequies until the wandering oxen had been found. Upon their return, great was their joy when they saw signs of life in the friend they were about to bury alive. By careful nursing he was restored to health, and continued his journey to New Mexico. He only stayed in the West a short time, when he set his face toward the rising sun, and came back to Missouri, the garden of America. He was married to Miss Dorothy Ann Payne, daughter of James and Lois Payne, of this county. His wife died July 27th, 1865. He has three children, all living: Laura Alice, Spurgeon G. and John E. Miss Laura went several years to the University, and is a regular graduate, taking the full classical course. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Baptist church at Nashville, this county."
"Francis M. Johnson is the son of Samuel and Margaret Johnson; he was born in Boone county, Missouri, June 8, 1834, on the old homestead settled and owned by his father, one mile north of where the subject of this sketch now lives. The old house is still standing on the Hinkson. Mr. Johnson was raised and educated in Boone county; he was first married in May, 1858, his wife dying in the month of January following. March 22, 1864, he was again married, this time to Miss Bettie, daughter of Thomas and Margaret (Stewart) Cox. By this marriage they had eight children – two sons and six daughters: Maggie, born January 10, 1866; Mary E., born June 12, 1867; William T., born May 29, 1869; Frank L., born November 13, 1872; Minnie D., born April 26, 1875; Mattie E., born April 8, 1877; Amelia B., born February 5, 1879; and Bertha G., born January 17, 1882. Mr. Johnson spent one year in California, returning to Boone county in 1850; farmed for two years, then erected a saw-mill, devoting four years to this business; then, in partnership with a man named Parker, bought a herd of 1,400 sheep, which they took to Texas. Returning, he formed a partnership with Mr. Hickman for building and operating a steam grist mill near Stephens station; was connected with this business for five years. In 1870 he traded his interest in the mill and a farm near Stephens station to Robert Smith for the farm which he (Mr. Johnson) now occupies, consisting of 370 acres, three miles northeast of Columbia, on the Mexico and Columbia road. There is a fine coal mine on this place, the vein being three and one-half feet in thickness, and of excellent quality. The farm is mostly in grass, and is well adapted to stock raising. Mr. Johnson is a member of the Christian church at Antioch. Mr. Johnson’s father came to Boone county in 1824; he was a native of Scott county, Kentucky; he died in 1868, and is buried at the old Hinkson Baptist church. Mrs. Johnson died in 1835 –- about one year after the birth of Francis M. –- and was buried at the same place."
"James E. Johnson, son of William and Elizabeth (Entrekin) Johnson, was born in Scott county, Kentucky, January 26, 1809. He was educated at the common schools of the county. At the age of eighteen he entered an apprentice under Job Stevenson to learn the saddle and harness maker’s trade. After finishing his trade he came to Boone county, Missouri, October 22, 1833. The year following he worked for George Harrison at Franklin, Howard county, Missouri. Coming back to Columbia, he was employed to work in James Richardson’s shop and continued with him for eight years. In the summer of 1841 he started a shop of his own, and has worked continuously at his trade ever since, except a portion of the year 1850, spent in California. At the breaking out of the war he owned several slaves. Their loss proved a severe blow to him financially. Mr. Johnson was married, December 2, 1841, to Miss Sallie, daughter of Judge Alexander and Ann (Simpson) Persinger. Six children were born of his marriage, three sons and three daughters. Mrs. Johnson died August 27, 1870, and is buried in the Columbia cemetery. Mr. Johnson has an excellent business, and by industry and good management he has succeeded in accumulating considerable property, mostly real estate, situated in Columbia. He is a member of the Christian church. His children are also members of the same church."
"Anderson Johnson, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was of Irish origin, and a native of Virginia. The father of John A., Greenberry Johnson, was born in Howard county, Missouri, May, 1822. He moved to Boone county, where his son was born, February 4, 1844. The mother’s maiden name was Emily Scaggs, daughter of Archibald Scaggs, of German origin. Mr. Johnson married Miss Elizabeth, daughter of William W. Tucker, a native of Virginia. Mrs. Tucker’s maiden name was Martha Woodruff. Mr. Johnson has three children, Charles C., Nora B., and Victor T. He owns a fine farm of 200 acres, well improved and quite productive. He has a fine orchard and beautiful shrubbery. He is a member of the Christian church and assistant superintendent of the Lone Star Sunday school."
"John T. M. Johnston, father of Joseph, came from Kentucky to Boone county when a boy, and settled, with his parents, near Columbia, being among the pioneers of this county. His wife was Minerva Waters, and of this pair the subject of this sketch was born, August 29th, 1848. He first saw the light on his father’s farm, and was the second son and third child of a family of four sons and four daughters, all but two of whom still reside in Boone county. He acquired his education in the neighborhood schools in the vicinity of his old home, in the Ashland school and in Jones’ Commercial College of St. Louis. In the fall of 1866, he first engaged in business for himself, opening a general store in Ashland, which he conducted for three years. In 1869 he formed a partnership with A. G. Paine, and they did business till the fall of 1871. He then formed a partnership with J. G. Wiseman, which lasted till 1880. Mr. Johnston then became a member of the firm of Bass, Johnston, Brooks & Harris, with whom he is still in business at this writing, their business depot being known as the ‘Trade Centre.’ He is also a member of the Ashland Mill Company, and a director of the Farmer’s Bank. In 1870, he built the Johnston Hotel, and in ‘77 erected the livery stable at Ashland. He was one of the originators of two important enterprises of his town, viz., the mill project and the bank. He is also secretary of the ‘Ashland Stock Sales.’ [see history of Ashland]. Mr. Johnston was married at Bonne Femme church, November 5th, 1880, to Miss Julia Harris, daughter of Judge James Harris, deceased. They have one child, a daughter. He is a member of the Baptist church, and also belongs to the Masonic fraternity and A.O.U.W."
"Robert Thomas Johnston is the son of Robert and Ann Johnston, and was born in Howard county, Missouri, January 10, 1829. In 1831 he came to Boone county, where he remained until he was fifteen years old; he returned to Howard county and clerked for two years in his brother Joel’s store, at Fayette, He then returned to his home in Boone county, where he was married, December, 1851, to Julia, daughter of Joseph and Elizabeth Johnston. Mr. Johnston has lived on his present farm, three miles south of Columbia, for thirty-one years. He is a member of the Bonne Femme Missionary Baptist church. Mrs. Johnston is also a member of the same church."
"Joseph Glenn Jones is the son of Mosias Jones, a native of Kentucky, who emigrated to Missouri in 1805, settling first in St. Louis county. In 1818 he came to Boone county, then almost a wilderness. He was a member of the first grand jury ever empanelled in the county. He settled on the south end of the Two-mile prairie. On this farm the subject of this sketch was born, June 7th, 1825. He is the fourth son and seventh child of a family of six sons and six daughters, all of whom lived to maturity and became members of the New Salem Baptist church. Of this family four brothers are alive at this writing. Three brothers and one sister are living in Boone county. Mr. Jones lived on the home place until 1848, when he purchased and removed to a farm near where Claysville now stands. He resided on this place until the spring of 1878, when he removed to Ashland, intending at the time to give up business. He bought a fine farm adjoining the town, which he still cultivates. During the war he was arrested by the Federal authorities and taken to Jefferson City. From there he was sent to Gratiot street prison, St Louis, where he remained for several months, being finally transferred to Alton. When released from prison he returned home and was allowed to remain with his family until the troubles were over. Mr. Jones has handled a great deal of stock, and devotes much attention to diseases of horses and cattle. He is now a member of Mount Pleasant Baptist church, also a member of the Masonic order, meeting with the Ashland lodge. He also belongs to the Ashland Grange. Mr. Jones’s wife is a native of Tennessee. They were married in Cedar township, May 11, 1847. They have three children, two sons and one daughter, the latter by adoption."
"William Elijah Jones, is the son of Christopher H. Jones, a native of Madison county, Kentucky. He came to Boone county with his brothers, Mosias and Lyne Jones in 1818, being among the very earliest settlers of this county. Christopher Jones was married in Kentucky to Miss Martha Yates. Emigrating to Boone county, soon afterwards he settled on the farm now occupied by Elijah, at which place all his children were born. The subject of this sketch was born October 23d, 1841. He was the sixth son and twelfth child of a family of six sons and seven daughters, of whom three sons and three daughters are now living –- four of them in Boone County. Mr. Jones was reared on the farm and educated at the common schools of the neighborhood. In 1861 he enlisted in Gen. Clark’s Division of Missouri State Guard, being a member of the sixth regiment. He served in this regiment for six months, when he was transferred to the Ninth Missouri Infantry with which command he remained until the close of the war. He participated in the battles of Lexington, Pea Ridge, Mansfield, Pleasant Hill, Jenkins’ Ferry, and numerous skirmishes of less note. Surrendered in June, 1865, and returned to his home in Boone county, where he has remained ever since. His farm is situated two miles west of Ashland. Makes the breeding of fine hogs a specialty. He was married, February 26th, 1867, to Miss Mary S. Forbis, daughter of E. W. Forbis, of Boone county. They have one son and two daughters."