"John Machir, the subject of this sketch, was born in Mason county, Kentucky, May 10th, 1820. He is the son of Henry A. and Martha A. (Woodson) Machir. He was raised in Kentucky and educated in Maysville, Mason county. In 1837 he came to St. Louis with his brother-in-law, Thomas T. January, and for the next six years clerked in the wholesale grocery house of January, Stetinins & Brother. The firm having failed in 1843, Mr. Machir went into business the following year, under the firm name of January & Machir, wholesale dealers in groceries, and so continued until 1852, when he came to Boone county, and settled on the west side of Two-mile prairie. His farm of 600 acres is situated six miles southeast of Columbia. In 1869 he moved to Columbia, but did not sell his farm. He has lived in Columbia ever since. He has been trustee of Christian College for about eighteen years. Was one of the directors of the school board for about five years. Mr. Machir was married December 25th, 1847, to Miss Mary E., daughter of John M. and Mary (Taylor) January, of Cynthiana, Harrison county, Kentucky. They have had six children. Two sons died in their infancy. Mary T., wife of James H. Parker, died in the spring of 1880. Mattie is the wife of R. W. Dorsey, of Bunker Hill, Illinois. Tiny B. and Maria J are at home with their parents. They are all graduates of Christian College, Columbia, Missouri. Mr. Machir and family are members of the Christian church." p.
"Robert Hudson Martin is the son of Nathan and Mary (Hill) Martin, natives of Kentucky, who emigrated to Boone county, Missouri, in 1838. Robert was born in Todd county, Kentucky, December 27, 1820, and was educated at home, his father being his only teacher. As the elder Martin was a good scholar, the son’s education was not neglected, as it might otherwise have been, for in Robert’s boyhood there were no public schools in that section of country. He was the fourth son and seventh child of a family of eleven children, six sons and five daughters, of whom only five are now living. Mr. Martin crossed the plains to California in 1850, returning home in 1851. In 1852 he bought and moved to the farm where he now resides, one and one half miles north of Ashland. He was married December 14, 1848, to Miss Nancy E. Harris, a native of Boone county. They have had ten children, eight daughters and two sons, of whom six daughters and one son are now living. Mr. Martin has given special attention to stock raising and has made the business quite profitable. He is a member of the New Salem Baptist church, also the Ashland lodge, A.F. and A.M. Mrs. Martin died September 9, 1881."
"The subject of this sketch is the son of Samuel and Mary (Baker) Mars. He was born in Franklin county, Kentucky, September 22, 1804, and came with his parents to this county in 1820. They settled three miles north of Columbia, on what is now known as the James Shock farm. Five acres of cleared land and a small log cabin constituted all the improvements then found on the place. Mr. Mars greatly improved the farm, and remained on it until his death, which occurred May 10, 1850. Eli was educated partly in Kentucky, finishing his education in Boone county. He was married January 30, 1845, to Miss Emily Penington, daughter of James and Elizabeth (Hayes) Cowan. By this union they had four children, two sons and two daughters, two of whom are now living, Parton W.S., who is now farming on the Two-mile prairie, and Samuel C., who is living in Arizona Territory. The first wife having died February 20, 1857, Mr Mars was again married May 26, 1860, to Miss Louisa, daughter of John M. and Mary (Witt) Salmon. By this union there were two children, a son and a daughter, both of whom are dead. Mr. Mars was the sixth of a family of twelve children, six of each sex, of whom he alone is living. Should he live to celebrate his next birthday, he will be seventy-eight years old. Mr. Mars has followed farming all his life. The farm upon which he is now living is situated one mile west of Columbia, on the Rocheport road. He was one of the original members of the Old Bear Creek church. Mrs. Mars is a member of the Columbia Baptist church. His first wife was a member of Bear Creek congregation. In an early day Mr. Mars and his father used to carry freight in wagons between Columbia and St. Louis, He remembers many incidents connected with the dim past, which, but for the vigorous memories of such old citizens as Mr. Mars, had long since been forgotten."
"Is a native of Montgomery county, Kentucky, born April 25, 1819. His parents were Jonathan and Mary Mastersen, the former a Pennsylvanian, and the latter a Kentuckian, by birth. Charles W. moved with his father’s family to Menard county, Illinois, in 1835. They settled on a farm, though the son spent most of his time working in a woolen factory, and received his education in the common schools. He was married September 30, 1840, to Miss Pheobe M. Houghton, a native of Menard county, Illinois, born January 22, 1823. Her parents, Elijah and Catharine Houghton, were natives of New Jersey, the mother being still alive, residing in Illinois, now at the advanced age of 90 years. Mr. Masterson and wife are the parents of thirteen children, nine of them still living, eight of whom are members of the Christian church. He and Mrs. M. have been members of the same church for many years, he since he was sixteen, and she, from the time she was fifteen years old. Mr. Mastersen has served one term as commissioner of public schools in Boone county. "Two of his sons were in the Federal service during the war, one in the cavalry service for four years, and the other three years in the artillery. Mr. M. owns a good farm of one hundred and fifty-eight acres, all in cultivation, and forty acres of timbered land. His farm is well adapted to raising the cereals common to this latitude, and Mr. M. also produces live stock – horses, mules, cattle and swine. He is a successful farmer and a good provider for the maintenance of his family."
"The outlines of the biography of this gentleman could not be obtained very fully nor very accurately. The date of his birth could not be learned. He was married November 23, 1858, to Miss Olivia, daughter of Warren and Elizabeth (McClelland) Woodson. Four children were born of this marriage, all daughters, two of whom died in infancy. The deceased children were Lucretia B. and Lizzie, while the two surviving ones are Mary G. and Jessie O. Prof. Matthews came from Kentucky to Boone county, Missouri, in 1848 or ‘49. For about seventeen years he was professor of ancient and modern languages in the State University at Columbia. He always engaged in teaching as a vocation, and died in September 13, 1869. He lies buried in the Columbia Cemetery."
"James L. Matthews, deceased, was the son of Robert and Eliza (Glascock) Matthews. He was born August 29, 1813, in Richmond county, Virginia, and was reared and educated in his native county. In early youth he learned the trade of carriage-maker, and followed the business while yet a citizen of the Old Dominion. In 1836 he came to Columbia, Missouri, where he established and operated a carriage factory up to the year 1860, when he sold out and went into the hardware business, which he followed until his death, May 22, 1880. He was married in 1833 to Miss Louisa, daughter of Hilkiah Ball, of Lancaster county, Virginia. They had five children born to them, two sons and three daughters. Mary A., wife of Dr. W. T. Maupin, of Columbia; James B. (deceased); Bettie S., wife of Maj. D. D. Berry, a prominent business man of Columbia; and Milton S. (deceased). The first wife dying July 8, 1852, Mr. Matthews was again married, October 26, 1853, to Miss Mary, daughter of James and Margaret Bowling. Three children were born of this marriage, two sons and one daughter. Louisa married A. R. Berry. Charles is a partner in the hardware business established by James L. Matthews, and now conducted by Berry & Matthews. Lawrence is dead. The elder Matthews commenced life without means and with but little education. His father perished at sea while en route to England to settle an estate. The subject of this sketch was the oldest son and second child of the family, and the burden of the household fell mainly upon his shoulders, but he proved equal to the task, and while yet a mere boy assumed the duties and responsibilities of a full-grown man. His brother, Milton S., died in June, 1875. His sister is living in Oregon, the wife of Mr. Faucett. James L. Matthews was a successful business man in the strictest sense of the word. Commencing life with nothing but his trade, he accumulated a large estate, and was enabled to do much good, for his hand was ever opened to alleviate the sorrows of honest and virtuous poverty, and those who merited relief never applied to him in vain. Mrs. Matthews is a member of the Baptist Church. Mrs. Eliza (Glascock) Matthews, mother of the subject of this sketch, died in Columbia, April 17, 1851, and is buried in the Columbia Cemetery." (Matthews portrait f817)
"William D. Maupin was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, June 6, 1840. He is the son of Silas B. and Mary (Norris) Maupin. He left Virginia in October, 1854, and came to Montgomery county, Missouri, where he lived until 1859. His father sold his farm in Montgomery and moved to Truxton, Lincoln county, Missouri, where the subject of this sketch was educated, attending the seminary of that place, under the instructions of Professor F.T. Williams. Was a pupil of this school during two sessions. In the spring of 1862 he went to Loutre Island, as an overseer for William I. Talbott, and remained there until fall, having charge of thirty-eight slaves and five hundred acres of land. He next went to Pike county, Missouri, where he took charge of the Tinsley plantation of some forty slaves and four hundred acres of land. Stayed on this farm until the fall of 1863, when he crossed the river and engaged in the tobacco trade during the winter following. In the spring of 1864 he crossed the plains to Nevada, making his home at Empire City, three miles from Carson. Followed mule trading and teaming while in Nevada. Remained there until the summer of 1870, when he returned to Missouri and bought a farm ten miles southwest of Chillicothe. Was married December, 1870, to Miss Nancy A. Cochran, of Wentzville, St. Charles county, Missouri. They have one daughter, Effie. After his marriage Mr. Maupin went to work on a farm in St Charles county, and remained there until February, 1882, when he came to Columbia, Boone county, and went into the firm of Maupin, Smith & Co., known as the ‘Farmer’s Mills.’ [see city history] Mr. and Mrs. Maupin are both members of the Methodist Church. They have a nice new house on Price Avenue, and are well pleased with their new home, and with their future prospects generally."
"Wellington Tilman Maupin is a son of W.C. and Elizabeth Scott Maupin, both natives of Albemarle county, Virginia. They came to St. Charles county, Missouri, in 1835, and to Warren county in 1837, where Mr. M. engaged in merchandising in addition to farming. Here Wellington T. Maupin was born January 16, 1838, being the third child and second son of a family of four sons and two daughters. In the spring of 1845 his parents removed to St. Louis, and in the fall of the same year to Boone, settling on a farm and also keeping a store at Nashville, ten miles southwest of Columbia. Here young Maupin improved the educational advantages afforded by the common schools of his neighborhood, and attended them whenever possible, his education being mainly the result of his own efforts. In 1857 he entered the dry goods house of Stephens, Conley & Smith, at Columbia, and here remained one year, the next year becoming deputy postmaster. Afterwards he was for five years salesman for Hume & Park, dealers in general merchandise, and then became a member of the firm, which then took the name of Hume, Park & Co. In 1867 he engaged as salesman with Barth, Victor & Myer, general merchants. In 1870 he engaged in the grocery trade in partnership with Mr. Allen, the firm being Allen & Maupin. In 1875 he disposed of his interest in this business and for the next two years was a salesman, first for Riggins & Orear, and afterwards for Moss & Prewitt. In 1877 he came to Ashland, where he has since been engaged in merchandising, at first ‘on his own hook,’ and subsequently, in September, 1881, becoming a member of the firm of Wiseman, Maupin & Co. "November 5, 1863, at Kansas City, Mr. Maupin married Miss Rebecca E. Wilson, of Lexington, Kentucky, daughter of an American officer who fell in the war with Mexico. To them have been born four children, two only of whom are now living. Mr. Maupin has been a member of the M.E. church, South, since 1854. He belongs to Twilight Lodge, A.F. and A.M., of Columbia, and also to the Good Templars. He has been several times a delegate, and is now delegate elect, to the annual Methodist conference of Missouri. In 1871 he was licensed by his church as an exhorter. He was at one time superintendent of the Columbia Sabbath school, and is now superintendent of the Methodist Sunday school at Ashland."
"Samuel Wallace Maxwell was born in Madison county, Kentucky, May 26, 1826. He is the son of John and Jane Maxwell, who came to Boone county in 1832 and settled on the farm now owned by F. M. Lowrey, near Midway, where the subject of this sketch was raised and lived until attaining his majority. In 1850 he went overland to California, where he followed mining in several places until 1852. Having been successful in his labors he returned home by way of Panama and New Orleans. He served six months in the Enrolled Missouri Militia, under Captain Tyre Harris, of Col. J.B. Douglass’ regiment. He has been married three times. His first wife was Miss Sallie A. Boggs, of Boone county, whom he married, April 22d, 1852. Four children were born of this marriage, James O. and John W., both of Oregon, and Amanda and Charles C., still living at home. He married his second wife, Miss Lucy J. Croswhite, of Boone county, October 30th, 1871. She died October 30th, 1874. He married his third wife, Mrs. Rosa Noe, February 17th, 1876. Himself and wife are members of Sugar Creek Baptist church."
"Brightberry McAlester, the subject of this sketch, is the son of James G. and Tempest (Jackson) McAlester. He was born in Simpson county, Kentucky, October 26, 1809. He was partly reared and educated in his native county, attending a school taught in a rude log house during the winter months of the year. The Commonwealth of Kentucky was then in its infancy, and the resident population were the first settlers and their children. The first families who ventured into the wilds of Kentucky had all they could do to protect their lives, and of course gave little time or attention to education. Mrs. McAlester, the mother of the subject of this sketch, spent much of her early youth in the forts, while the fierce Indian wars threatened extermination to the few whites who had dared to invade their hunting grounds. Mrs. McAlester saw Daniel Boone many times, having occupied the fort in which the pioneer chieftain was an inmate during those memorable days which gave to Kentucky the name of ‘the Dark and Bloody Ground.’ The family emigrated to Howard county, Missouri in 1828, stopping near Glasgow. Mr. McAlester had previously learned the carpenter’s trade in Kentucky, and, leaving his widowed mother at Glasgow, he sought employment at New Franklin, Howard county. In 1830, Mr. McAlester went to St. Louis, where he worked at his trade for eighteen months, mainly for the purpose of perfecting himself in the business. He returned to New Franklin, and went to work contracting and building. He also managed a steam saw-mill. In 1837 he came to Rocheport, Boone county, where he worked his trade from 1839 to 1846, being the principal contractor and builder in that section of country. In the spring of 1846 he came to Columbia to build the court-house, being one of the building firm of Richardson, McAlester & Keene. In 1856 he built the county jail, and in 1865 the president’s mansion in connection with the State University, that building having been destroyed by fire during the war, and in 1872 had the contract for building the scientific building, also in connection with the State University. He has been actively identified with the building interest of the county every since becoming a citizen of Boone. He has also dealt extensively in lumber and all kinds of building material. In the spring of 1870, James D. Bowling bought out the interest of James B. Ruckel, Mr. McAlester’s partner, and since that time the firm has been McAlester, Bowling & Co. In addition to their lumber yard, they handle all kinds of farm machinery, buggies, wagons, and the like. They are doing a large business. Mr. McAlester was married in October, 1832, to Miss Mary A. Walker, of New Franklin, Missouri. They have had five children: James N. (who was lost on a Missouri river boat at Lexington landing); Mary F., Sarah B. (deceased), Martha T., wife of James D. Bowling, and Andrew W., who is a professor at the State University, and a practicing physician of Columbia. Mr. McAlester is a Mason and a member of the Methodist church. His wife is also a Methodist. Mr. McAlexter’s mother died in 1834, and is buried near Glasgow. His father died in Kentucky when the subject of this sketch was but a small boy."
"Was born in Warren, Huntingdon county, Indiana, January 31, 1852. He is the son of George and Rebecca McAllister. His father was born near Zanesville, Ohio, and his mother was born and reared in the State of Indiana. Besides Emerson, there were born four other children – William A., James Monroe, Alonzo and Lavina – of whom William A. only is now living, and is a leading physician in Centralia. Emerson lived with his parents in Warren, Indiana, until he was fifteen years old. In 1867 his father moved to Boone county and settled on a farm about four and a half miles southeast of Sturgeon, where Emerson remained,, performing the usual duties required of farmers’ boys for about three years and a half. He then went to Centralia and commenced learning the art of telegraphy under the supervision of the night operator. Here he remained five months, when he was placed in charge of the office at Cunningham, in Chariton county. From here he went to Ottumwa, Iowa; then successively to St. Peters, Montgomery, Martinsburg, Carrollton, St. Charles and New Florence, Missouri. On account of his wife’s health, he next moved to Hillsboro, Texas, and remained a short time; from Texas he removed to Sturgeon, where he has for several months past very efficiently discharged the arduous duties of agent and operator. He has been engaged as agent and operator at various points, altogether, for a period of about twelve years. His education was acquired at the schools of Warren, in which he made very satisfactory progress up to the period of his leaving; but owing to poor health he was prevented from taking as advanced a course as he desired, until he arrived at an age when he felt it incumbent upon him to wage his own part in the actual battle of life. On December 29, 1880, he was married to Miss Ava J. Hunter, daughter of S.P. and Esther (Sherman) Hunter. Mrs. McAllister is a native of Morrison, Gasconade county, this State. They have one child, named Elmer. In connection with Mrs. McAllister there is a bit of romantic history to which a brief allusion will here be made, and which also concerns some of the early pioneers of Boone county. Miss Hunter’s mother, prior to her marriage, was a Heath. She had a brother named Robert. In 1822 Robert Heath’s father emigrated from Boone county, taking with him a colony consisting of mechanics, artisans, etc., and settled upon a tract of land five leagues square, then within the borders of old Mexico, but now just within the borders of New Mexico. In consideration of establishing the colony upon it, this tract was deeded to Mr. Heath by a physician to the emperor, to whom it had been granted by royal authority for his great skill and learning. The tract is known as the Brazito claim. Owing to the turbulent times which arose, the colony was broken up, and returned to Missouri, where, not long after, Mr. Heath died. The heirs, excepting Robert Heath, knew nothing of their claim to this estate till a few years ago when it leaked out through Robert’s efforts to obtain confirmation of the title and secure the entire property himself. The required evidence has been gradually collected for the past few years, and the claim of the rightful heirs to their just proportion, it is expected, will soon be established. Mrs. McAllister’s mother’s share will be one-eighth of this large estate. "Mr. McAllister is a member of the Masonic lodge at Sturgeon, and his wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church."
"The subject of this sketch, who has for five years been professor of English literature in the State University, is a son of the eminent Dr. David R. McAnally, well known to all as the editor for many years of the St. Louis Christian Advocate. His mother’s maiden name was Maria Thompson, a lady of refined sensibilities and devoted to the care and happiness of her family. David was born at Knoxville, Tennessee, November 21, 1847. Owing to the great war which began when he was in his fourteenth year, he never entered college, but remained home under the tutorage of his distinguished father, which probably gave him greater thoroughness than he could have obtained at the schools. He has, however, received honorary degrees from different institutions, including that of A.M., conferred by the Arcadia (Missouri) College. When only four years old, his father moved his family to St. Louis, and that city has been the home of David R., Jr., ever since; though he has travelled extensively in the United States, especially in the West, his last vacation having been spent in Colorado. "Prof. McAnally’s first efforts in teaching were made at Carondelet High School, where he taught three years as subordinate teacher and two years as principal. In 1872, he took charge of Arcadia College and remained two years. From that time till he took his present position in the University, he was engaged in newspaper work. He wrote a great deal for his father’s paper, both before and during the time he was teaching, and for two years was ‘leader writer’ on the Globe-Democrat. His newspaper connection gave him quite a travelled experience, and he was frequently ‘on the move’ before he came to Columbia. Prof. M. comes of a family of strong Southern proclivities. His father is a native of Tennessee and his mother of Virginia, which made decidedly a Southern combination. They are a Southern Methodist family, though at the beginning of the war Dr. D. R. McAnally, Sr., was a staunch Union man and opposed to slavery. Young David early developed a decided taste for music, and has given much time to its systematic study. While connected with the newspapers, he was regarded as a fine musical critic; and has been much engaged in writing articles on that subject. He has printed several songs and musical compositions, and still has on hand a number of unpublished musical productions. The first course of lectures on English language and literature ever given in the University was delivered by Prof. M. in 1879-80, and were as well attended as any course of the institution. Since then, he has continued to give annual courses, and is now connected with the president and others of the faculty in the publication of the University Review. His services are in frequent demand in lecturing before the State Teachers’ Association, and no young gentleman of his age has greater educational prominence in Missouri. His articles on the ‘Turco-Russian War,’ while working for the Globe-Democrat, created a favorable impression all over the country, and brought forth many complimentary comments from the press and public."
"William R. McBride was born in Boyle county, Kentucky, November 4th, 1833. His father, John McBride, came to Boone county in 1854, but returning to his native state on a visit in 1860, he died there. The grandfather’s name was David. He was a native of Maryland, but moved to North Carolina, and from that State to Missouri in 1835. He was of Scotch-Irish origin. He was a soldier in the war of 1812. William was one of a family of eight children. He commenced business for himself when twenty-one years old, with no capital but strength, pluck and energy. His education has been derived more from men than books, and the lessons learned were those of experience, acquired in the busy field of human effort. In 1866 he was married to Miss Letha J., daughter of Thomas Adams, of Millersburg, Callaway county, Missouri. They have three sons and one daughter living and one son dead. Mr. McBride is a member of A.O.U.W. In faith he is a Presbyterian. He is actively engaged in the stock business, buying and shipping, and has been since 1859. He cleared $1,600 on one shipment of hogs – seven hundred and fifty head – for which he paid nine and a half cents, the lot costing him $20,000. He has now (summer of 1882) three hundred fat hogs and is grazing three hundred beef cattle. He settled where he now lives in 1866. His farm contains four hundred and sixty acres, all under fence. He has a fine orchard of twenty acres. Mrs. McBride, having an eye for the beautiful, the yard is all aglow with the rarest and most lovely flowers. Mr. McBride takes an active, zealous interest in school matters, as well as all other enterprises calculated to improve or benefit his neighborhood."
"Was born in Huntington county, Indiana, January 7, 1850. His parents were George and Rebecca (nee Rittenhouse) McCallister, the father being a native of Virginia and the mother of Ohio. William lived in his native county till he was sixteen years old, and there received his education. In 1866 he came to Sturgeon, Boone county, Mo., and engaged in farming in summer and school teaching during the winter, continuing this till 1872. He began the study of medicine under Dr. Keith and, in 1874, attended lectures at the Missouri Medical College in St. Louis. After practicing a short time at Centralia, he returned to the Medical College in St. Louis, taking his final course of lectures in 1876-77, graduating from that institution in the latter year. He resumed the practice at Centralia, where he continues to enjoy a lucrative business in his profession. "Few men can boast of the eminent success that Dr. McCallister has made in so short a time; his position and education being the result, chiefly, of his own unaided efforts. He was married on January 13, 1869, to Miss L. Hendrix, daughter of James and Rachel Hendrix, of Boone county. Two children – Annie B. and Jessie P. – have been born to bless this union. Dr. M. belongs to the A.O.U.W., and also to the Knights of Honor. He is one of the leading physicians of the county, and a valuable citizen to the town of Centralia."
"Samuel McCauley, father of John Taylor, was a native of Kentucky having been born and raised in Montgomery county of that State. He removed to Missouri in 1819, and settled about five miles east of Columbia. He was first engaged as an overseer for Asa Stone, for whom he labored until the breaking out of the Florida war, when he enlisted under Col. Dick Gentry, and was with that gallant officer when he received his death wound. He also served in the Mexican war, and was in the battle of Buena Vista. He also crossed the plains to Santa Fe several times. The subject of this sketch was born in Boone county, October 5, 1844. His mother’s maiden name was Cynthia A. Lewis. He was raised on the farm, and in early manhood went into the milling business, afterwards was a tie and timber contractor. Was also in the livery business at Sturgeon. Served as justice of the peace for ten years. Was married, January 22, 1871, to Alice, daughter of John and Millie Peacher, of Boone county. Have three children living: Walter Scott, Daisy D., Robert Bruce. Mr. McCauley’s grandfather, on his father’s side, was a Scotchman and a soldier of the revolutionary war under General Washington. Mr. McCauley and wife are members of the Christian church. He is also a Mason. He was left an orphan at an early age, and had not only himself to educate and support, but the care of several younger members of the family resting alone upon his industry, fidelity and prudence."
"Is a son of David and Sarah (Mitcheltree) McConaughey, and was born June 17, 1844, in Jefferson county, Ohio. He left his native county when a mere child and went to Belmont county, Ohio. In his twelfth year he went to Wheeling, West Virginia, and in 1859 went to Burning Springs, same State, and worked in the oil wells. In 1861 he enlisted in the Federal army in the Eighteenth Ohio Volunteer regiment, but only served three months. In 1864 he reenlisted under Capt. Frank Buell, in what was known as Buell’s Pierpont Battery, Virginia artillery. He was honorably discharged in 1865. The battery was in twenty-three battles and skirmishes. He was wounded while on a scout and taken prisoner by Col. Mosby, but escaped the second night. In the winter of 1865-6, he went on the Baltimore and Ohio railroad as firemen for three or four years, then as engineer for one year. When making his run near Moundsville, Virginia, the engine jumped the track and he barely escaped with his life. In December, 1870, he came to St. Louis and worked upon the third pier of the great bridge for six months. In August, 1871, he came to Columbia, Boone county, Missouri, and clerked in the hardware store of C.C. Newman until May, 1875. He then went back to Belmont, Ohio, and Married Miss R.J., daughter of Alexander and Rebecca Crossan. They have had four children, two boys and two girls, Minnie M., David B. (dead), Anna B. and Sylvester W. Upon returning from Ohio, he obtained his old position as clerk in the store of Newman & Garth until the fall of 1875, when he went into the sewing machine business for about a year. He then went to firing for the Columbia Gas Company, which position he held until 1878, when he was appointed superintendent, and has been there until the present time. He sold and set up the first gas engine ever used in the county, viz.: the one used in the Columbia elevator. He does all the steam and gas fitting for the city, and is engineer and superintendent of the Columbia Gaslight and Coke Company. The works were built in 1875 by a stock company, with a capital stock of $15,000. The enterprise was put on foot by Sylvester Watts. Mr. McConaughey is agent for the Otto Silent Gas Engine. He is a member of the Knights of Pythias, Knights of Honor, and Ancient Order of United Workmen. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church."
"The subject of this sketch is the son of William and Sarah A. (Fitzhugh) McDaniel, and was born in King George county, Virginia. He was educated at Caroline College, Caroline county, Virginia. Afterwards learned the trade of carriage making in King George county, where he followed the business for several years. He came to Boone county, Missouri, in August, 1866, and was married August 27, 1868, to Miss Isabella, daughter of John and Elizabeth (Dailey) Lackland, of Lexington, Kentucky. By this marriage they had three sons and two daughters. Rosa E. died August 19, 1870, and George I., August 10, 1878. After coming to Boone county, he opened a shop in Columbia under the firm name of Homer and McDaniel. Mr. McDaniel is now a member of the firm of McDaniel, Scruggs & Co., contractors and builders. This is the principal firm of the kind in Columbia, and is doing a large business. Mr. McDaniel is a member of the A.O.U.W. He is also a member of the Missionary Baptist church. Mrs. McDaniel is likewise a member of the same church. William McDaniel, the father of George, died at his home in King George county, Virginia, in 1879, aged eighty-two. His mother is still living at the age of seventy-one."
"Duncan McDonald, wagon-maker and blacksmith, Sturgeon, Missouri, is a native of Stormount county, Canada, but of Scotch parentage. He is the son of Alexander and Catherine (nee McIntosh) McDonald. His mother was a first cousin of the Confederate general, James McIntosh, killed at Pea Ridge. The subject of this sketch was born and raised near the line between Franklin county, New York, and Canada, in the neighborhood of the Wheeler family, and knew the vice-president very well. Mr. McDonald was born February 4, 1836, and lived in his native county until he was sixteen years old. He was brought up on the farm, but after reaching manhood learned the trade of a wagon-maker and blacksmith. Leaving Canada, he went first to Iowa, where he remained one year, coming from that state direct to Sturgeon, where he has remained ever since, working continuously at his trade. He was married in the fall of 1859, to Miss Elizabeth R., daughter of James R. Burks. They have six children living, and five dead. The names of the living are Samuel Lockridge, Catharine Lee, Martha Ellen, Duncan Bruce, Ada Eveline, and John Archibald. Mr. McDonald is a member of the Catholic church. He has been a member of the city council, and also of the school board. Mrs. McDonald is a member of the Methodist church."
"James H. McGhee, son of Wyatt and Jane R. McGhee, was born in Washington county, Virginia, near Seven Mile Ford, July 4, 1818. In 1824 he came with his parents to Missouri, and settled near what is now known as Walnut Grove church, on the Rocheport and Columbia rock road. He remained with his parents until 1839, when he was married, January 29, to Mary, daughter of Abram Funk, of Boone county. He then moved on to a farm in the Perche bottom, belonging to his father, situated near his present home, which was given to him by his father. In 1859 Mr. McGhee made a trip to Pike’s Peak in quest of gold, reports of rich diggings having reached Missouri from that region. Finding none, he returned home, remaining only two weeks in the mountains. In 1838 he was commissioned by the governor an officer in the State militia. The troops were called out to put down the Mormon insurrection, and Mr. McGhee, among others, responded promptly to the all, and remained under arms until this difficulty was settled. In 1836, he assisted the government surveying party, under William Shields, of Boone county, while surveying the southwestern portion of this State. During the late war Mr. McGhee was an earnest, out-spoken friend of the South, and suffered severely for his advocacy of Southern principles. He was early identified with the South having been deputized to enroll the militia of Missouri township. In 1863 he was arrested by the United States troops, on the charge of giving aid and comfort to Confederate soldiers. He was first imprisoned at Columbia, then taken to St. Louis, and finally to Richmond, Virginia, to be exchanged, but being a citizen he could not be disposed of in his way. He was finally discharged, but as he was returning home he was arrested at St. Louis, and made to give a bond of $2,000 before he was allowed his freedom. He has five children, Mary Jane, wife of James S. Langdon, of Texas; James W., of Columbia; Mary Ellen, wife of Melvin P. McGhee, of Leadville, Colorado; Henry A., of Boone; and William Wallace, of Columbia, Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. McGhee are members of the Locust Grove Methodist church."
"Levi McGuire, one of Boone’s earliest pioneers, was born in Henry county, Kentucky, August 1, 1801, and emigrated to Boone county, Missouri in 1818, and settled upon the land now owned by Mrs. [Sarah] Stewart*. He was educated in his native county in Kentucky, and in his young and vigorous manhood, he learned the carpenter’s trade, but never followed the calling after coming to Missouri, as he chose farming as his occupation in his new home in the then far West. In 1820 he married Miss Susan Martinie, daughter of Jonathan and Durett Martinie. By this union they had eight children, seven boys and one girl. Dr. J.E.; Jonathan M., a Baptist minister living in Boone County; Robert L., a lawyer and ex-mayor of Springfield, Illinois; William D., a lawyer and ex-representative of Grundy county, Missouri; Benjamin F., living upon the old homestead with his mother; Dr. Julius E. McGuire, of this township, and ____ McGuire, of ____; and Ann E., deceased. Mr. McGuire died in August, 1873, in his 73d year, and is buried in the old family burial ground at the home place. His wife is still living,, in her 77th year, at this date, 1882."
"Thomas C. McIntire is the son of Thomas and Elsie McIntire, of Fleming county, Kentucky, where he was born October, 1822. He came to Callaway county, Missouri, in the fall of 1836, and from Callaway to Boone in 1849. He was educated in the latter county In the spring of 1850 he was married to Margaret Simmons, whose parents were of Fleming county, Kentucky. By this union they had four children, three girls and one boy. Their names are Eliza C., Margaret A., Mary L., and William. Mrs. McIntire died in the spring of 1867, and in 1869 he was again married. His second wife was Mary, daughter of William and Lucy Atkinson. By this union they had one son, Albert C. Mr. and Mrs. McIntire are members of the Columbia Presbyterian church. Previous to his marriage, Mr. McIntire taught school in Callaway county, Missouri, and clerked in a store at Mexico for a number of years. He has followed farming and is also largely interested in the nursery business. Since 1867 he has raised on an average about 20,000 apple trees a year. He has sixty-five acres in orchard and ships a great deal of fruit every year. His farm and nursery of 170 acres is situated on the St. Charles road, two and a half miles east of Columbia. He has a fine vineyard of 600 vines, besides other fruits in the greatest abundance. There is one apple tree on the farm that was planted forty-five years ago. It is still thrifty and bears abundant fruit."
"P. Henry McKenna was born in Jefferson county, New York, March 19, 1839. He is the son of James and Margaret (Bruton) McKenna. His father was a farmer, and the son was brought up in that avocation. He joined the Union army at the breaking out of the war, becoming a member of Company C, First New York light artillery, with which he served through all the most prominent battles of the Army of the Potomac. He took part in sixteen of the hardest-fought engagements of the war; participated in the battles of Bull Run, Fredericksburg, Chancellorville, Gettysburg, Falling Waters, Antietam, the battles of the Wilderness and around Richmond. He was married September 15, 1870, to Miss Julia, daughter of Otis and Rosette Legate. They have four children living – Charles Edwin, Laurena Henry, Fred. and Bertha. The subject of this sketch was left an orphan at an early age, and commenced work for himself at three dollars a month. He not only had to care for himself, but for several younger members of the family. He owns about 400 acres of land near Claysville, and one of the finest views in the State. His house stands on a high bluff, back from the river about one and a half miles. He is the postmaster at Claysville. He is a genial, whole-souled man, a kind neighbor, and worthy citizen. He has by his own labor accumulated a competency, and enjoys it as a reasonable man should."
"Is also a native of Boone county, and was born near Rocheport, February 10, 1853. His parents were David and Susan McQuitty, old residents of Boone. He continued to live with his parents on the farm till in his twentieth year, and there obtained the rudiments of his education. Subsequently he attended Mount Pleasant College, at Huntsville, Randolph county, Missouri, and was a student of that school for three years. When ready to begin life for himself, Mr. McQuitty purchased a farm of 240 acres, three and one half miles northeast of Rocheport, which he still owns and operates. In addition to the ordinary routine of farming and stock raising, Mr. McQ. has made a speciality of fine sheep breeding, chiefly the Spanish merino. His object in this was not alone to improve his own stock and derive a profit therefrom, but was actuated by the worthy motive of having his neighbors get the benefit of the same. In the winter of 1882 he imported a flock of the Robinson-Atwood blood from Vermont. These breeders are recorded in the Vermont Stock Register, and their average yield of fleece is, for males 16 lbs., for females 15 lbs. In December, 1873, Mr. McQuitty was united in marriage to Miss Annie O. Lientz, daughter of Montgomery Lientz, Esq. They have two children, Montgomery L., and Harry W. Mr. McQ. is a member of the Walnut Grove Baptist Church, and is an exemplary citizen and kind neighbor."
"The subject of this sketch was born in Perche township, Boone county, Missouri, December 1, 1830. He is the son of G. W. McQuitty, one of the successful pioneer farmers of Boone county. It was through the enterprise and industry of such men as G. W. McQuitty that Boone county received an impetus which placed it far ahead of all the neighboring counties, a position it still holds in point of stability, refinement and culture, and but for superior railroad facilities possessed by other counties, it would have distanced all its competitors in wealth and enterprise. The father of James A. McQuitty came to Boone county in 1810. The subject of this sketch remained on his father’s farm until 1849, when he went to California. He worked in the mines for several years, returning to Boone county in 1853. He was successful in mining, having accumulated sufficient money to purchase the farm upon which he now resides, containing 353 acres. In 1864 he enlisted in Capt. John Maxwell’s company, William’s regiment, Shelby’s brigade, Confederate cavalry, remaining with this command until the close of the war, when he returned home and resumed the active duties of life. Mr. McQuitty was married June 13, 1851, to Miss Dicie Emma, daughter of Solomon Barnett, of Howard county. There were seven children by this marriage: Julia A., wife of William Hart, of Centralia, Missouri; and John L., Lilly, May, Dora B., Joel M., James M. and George B., yet remaining at home. Mrs. McQuitty died May 12, 1879. Mr. McQuitty is a member of the Walnut Grove Baptist church, and has been since 1853. He is also a member of the Rocheport lodge of A.F. and A.M. At the time of her death Mrs. McQuitty was also a member of the Walnut Grove church."
"Thomas F. McQuitty was born near Thrall’s Prairie, now known as the Model Farm, May 3, 1833, where he lived until he was ten years old, when his parents removed to the farm now owned by James A. McQuitty. Thomas grew to manhood on this farm, attending the common schools and availing himself of every opportunity of procuring an education. He began life as a farmer, renting the land he cultivated. In 1870 he removed to Columbia, where he worked at the carpenter’s trade until 1882, when he purchased and removed to the farm upon which he now lives, known as the old Joel White farm, containing 160 acres. Mr. McQuitty was married October 18, 1855, to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Joel and Elizabeth Wilhite, of Boone county. They have eight living children. The oldest son, Willard G., is editor and proprietor of the Rocheport Commercial. The second son, James E., is foreman of the Columbia, Missouri, Herald office. The other children are at home with their parents. Mr. and Mrs. McQuitty and the four oldest of their children, are members of the Baptist church at Columbia. Mr. McQuitty was deputy marshal of Columbia in 1881. In 1864-5 he was a soldier in the Confederate army, being a member of Capt. John Maxwell’s company, William’s regiment, Shelby’s brigade. His command surrendered at Alexandria, Louisiana, in the spring of 1865, when he returned home and resumed the active duties of life. He is a firm, resolute, hard-working man, whose principal aim in life has been to raise, educate and prepare his children for the active duties and responsibilities of life."
"The genial editor and proprietor of the Rocheport Commercial, is the oldest son of Thomas F. and Elizabeth McQuitty, and was born on a farm in Boone county, near Columbia, September 15, 1857. When he was thirteen years old his parents moved to Columbia, and there Willard J. was educated, attending the University till his eighteenth year. He then began learning the printer’s trade with Ed. W. Stephens, in the office of the Columbia Herald. Soon mastering the mysteries of the ‘typo’s’ profession, he was made foreman of the Herald establishment, which position he held for five years. In April, 1879, Mr. McQuitty and his brother, James E., purchased the Rocheport Commercial, a Democratic paper in the above town, and a few months later Willard J. bought out his brother’s interest, making him the sole manager. He has continued to publish that journal ever since, and is the fifth man who has edited it, and, so far, the only one who seems to have made it a success. Mr. McQuitty was married Dec. 25, 1881, to Miss Maggie Hines, daughter of J.H. Hines, of Joplin, MO. Mr. McQ. has always been a Democrat, and runs his paper in the interest of that great party. He is a member of the Missouri Press Association, and his youth and ambition, combined with education and energy, will certainly place him in the ranks of successful journalist, should he continue that most worthy vocation."
"F. W. Middleton was born in Clinton county, Illinois, November 17, 1836, and lived there until 1876, when he removed to Sturgeon, Missouri. Before leaving Illinois he was engaged in the hay business. He was married, December 29, 1855, to Miss Edna, daughter of Lacy K. and Catherine Witcher, natives of Pennsylvania, but citizens of Illinois at the time of their daughter’s marriage. They have five children, whose names are Finnis E., Nelson Holt, George Leonard, Walter, and Bertie. Mr. Middleton served in the Union army during the late war, being a member of Company D, 89th Illinois infantry, which operated in Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. He was in the battles of Perryville, Stone River, Chickamauga, Atlanta and Nashville. He is a member of the A.O.U.W., and had belonged to the Odd Fellows before coming to Sturgeon. There being no lodge at that place he withdrew from the order. Mr. Middleton and C. H. Taylor own and operate one of the Sturgeon mills. They also have a hay press in connection with their business which is a valuable acquisition to the town."
"The subject of this sketch was born in St. Louis, Missouri, May 22d, 1848. The year following his parents moved to Portland, Callaway county, where they lived for the next five years, removing in 1854 to Rocheport, Boone county. In 1864 he entered the store of Clayton, Miller & Co., and clerked for that firm until July, 1868, when he commenced the livery business with David Bishop, the firm being Bishop & Miller. Remained with Bishop one year, when J. W. Skinner bought his interest, thus changing the firm to Miller & Skinner. The business was thus conducted for three years, when Mr. Miller bought his partner’s interest and continued the business alone until 1875, when the stable, with fourteen head of horses and all the rolling stock belonging thereto, was burned; loss two thousand dollars. While in the livery business Mr. Miller ran a hack line between Columbia and Rocheport, and between Rocheport and Boonville. In 1875 he came to Columbia, and the year following went into the tobacco business with John M. Samuel and was with him for one year, when the firm changed to Conley, Samuel & Miller, and so continued until 1878. In the spring of that year Mr. Miller went into the livery business with D. G. Clark, under the firm name of Clark and Miller. J. H. Guitar afterwards took an interest in the business, and the firm name was changed to Clark, Miller & Co., and so continued until the death of Mr. Clark in 1880, when Guitar bought his interest and the firm became Miller & Guitar, and has remained such ever since. The stable is called the Planters’, and is one hundred by sixty-four feet, fronting University street. They have twenty-five horses and their vehicles are of the finest and best quality. In connection with the livery business they buy and sell mules, shipping them to the West and South. Mr. Miller was married February 13th, 1872, to Miss Corney J., daughter of James C. and Mary J. (Thornton) Orr. They have four children, James R., Albert, Mary, and a younger son yet unmarried. Mr. Miller is a member of the Christian church. He is also an Odd Fellow and a member of the Order of United Workmen. Mrs. Miller is a member of the Methodist church."
"Ephraim Minor is of English origin, his great-grandfather, on the father’s side, having been a native of that country. His grandfather was a soldier in the revolutionary army, enlisting in Virginia. His father was a soldier in the war of 1812. His mother, Rachel Lamb, was also of English ancestry. The subject of this sketch was born in Bracken county, Kentucky, March 7, 1822. He was the youngest, save one, of a family of thirteen children. He was raised on the farm and educated at the district schools. In 1847 he married Miss Leah Furguson, daughter of David Furguson, of Brown county, Ohio. They have had three children. The eldest child died young. Lucy M. is married to Peter Pickert, a farmer. They have one child. The other daughter, Emma, is married to G.H. Brown, also a farmer. Mr. Minor, since his marriage, and before coming to Missouri, resided in Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Minnesota and Wisconsin. In 1864 he enlisted in Company F, Independent Regiment, Minnesota Volunteers. Soon after he was disabled by the premature discharge of a cannon, and was released from further duty He lived on his farm in Wisconsin until 1873, when he removed to Missouri and settled near Centralia. In 1882 he moved into town. He owns a fine farm of 226 acres. Having lost both of his hands by the accident above mentioned, he now draws annually a pension of $850. He is a Democrat, voting with his party at all times and under all circumstances. He is a worthy, well-to-do, thrifty citizen, highly esteemed by all who know him."
"The subject of this sketch is the son of Newman and Hannah (nee Jackman) Mitchell, and was born in this county, July 16, 1857. Both his parents are native Missourians, his father having been born in Boone county, and his mother, in Howard. John T. was reared on a farm in Boone county, and educated at the State University of Columbia. In 1877 he accepted the position of book-keeper in the Rocheport Savings Bank, and served in that capacity till the fall of 1879, when he went to Centralia and organized the Bank of Centralia or rather became an incorporator of that institution, which began business in 1880. Mr. Mitchell is cashier of the bank, his educational qualifications and his Rocheport experience combining to fully fit him for that responsible position. He was married in 1881 to Miss Belle R. Clayton, the accomplished daughter of John S. and Fannie (nee Chambers) Clayton, of Rocheport. Mr. Mitchell is a member of the Christian church, and is certainly one of the rising young business men of the county."
"Newman T. Mitchell, Sr., is one of the few now living who can of right class themselves among the pioneers of Boone county. He was born near Dumfries, Prince William county, Virginia, March 12th, 1807. His parents removed in 1817 to Madison county, Kentucky, and a few years later to Franklin county. He remained with his parents until he was eighteen years old, attending in the meantime such schools as were within his reach. Wishing to educated him for a profession, his father proposed sending him to college, but the young man having no predilection that way, declined the offer. His father then gave him permission to do for himself in his own way, and he accordingly entered the boot and shoe store of Daniel Bell, of Woodford county, Kentucky. He was employed to keep the books of the establishment, and remained long enough to learn the trade, when he returned home. He and his brother took charge of the homestead devoting their time to farming and trading in stock. In 1827 he went to Frankfort, Kentucky, where he was employed by Frank Blair, Sr., as superintendent or overseer, remaining in this business one year. In the spring of 1828 he came to Missouri with his father and settled in Howard county. On the 4th of September, following, he was married to Miss Priscilla Hughes. He came to Boone county soon after his marriage and settled on a tract of land upon which he now lives. His first wife having died, August 22d, 1856, Mr. Mitchell was again married, December 10th, 1857 to Miss Kitty Slack, of Boone county, by whom he has two children, Pearl and Earnest. By his first wife he had four children: Elizabeth, wife of Sidney Denham, deceased; Newman Tompkins, Jr.; Cordelia, wife of S.L. Wilhite; and William J., all of whom are living in Boone county. Mr. Mitchell has been a member of Walnut Grove Baptist church for sixty years, and has served as deacon for forty-five years. His wife has been a member of the same church for twenty-five years. His first wife was one of the original members of Walnut Grove church. "Newman T. Mitchell, Jr., was born near Rocheport, Boone county, Missouri, September 1st, 1832. He is the son of Newman and Priscilla (Hughes) Mitchell. He was educated at the common schools of the neighborhood, and commenced business for himself at the age of twenty, though still living with his parents. In 1852 his father proposed sending him to the Missouri State University, but he preferred remaining on the farm at a salary. From 1853 to 1857 he worked his father’s farm on the shares. He was married, October 6th, 1856, to Miss Hannah, daughter of Porter Jackman, of Howard county, Missouri. The year following he moved to a tract of land given him by his father, which formed the nucleus of the farm he now owns, consisting of four hundred acres. In 1866 he became one of the proprietors of the Columbia and Rocheport rock road. He has seven children: John T. is cashier of the Centralia, Missouri, bank, and Porter J. is a practicing physician, being a graduate of the Missouri Medical College, St Louis. Newman T., William M., Carter W., Exie and Orie are living with their parents. Himself and wife are members of the Baptist church at Walnut Grove, of which he has been deacon for twelve years. He has also filled the position of superintendent of Sunday school, at intervals for fourteen years. During 1879 he was appointed a member of the executive board of State missions by the general association, which position he still holds. He is also one of the curators of Stephens Female College, Columbia, Missouri having been appointed such by the State association in 1880."
"The subject of this sketch was born in Boone county, Missouri, December 7, 1840. He was raised on a farm, four miles northeast of Rocheport, and educated at the Walnut Grove school house. He is the son of Newman Mitchell, Sr., one of the pioneer settlers of Boone county. When twenty-one years old he began working on a farm owned by his father. This place was given to him in 1867, and in 1874 he exchanged it for a farm in the same vicinity, and in 1876 exchanged this for the place he now occupies, one and one-half miles east of Walnut Grove church. His farm contains one hundred and thirty acres. He is actively engaged in farming and stock raising. During the years intervening between 1862 and 1872, he travelled extensively in Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska and Colorado. He is a member of the Walnut Grove Baptist church, and has been since 1864."
"William J. Montrief, member of the firm of Montrief & Prather, livery, feed and sale stables, Sturgeon, Missouri, is a native of Franklin county, Virginia, where he was born, November 5, 1839. He is the son of Isaac and Francis [sic] Montrief. His father was of French origin, his mother of Irish parentage. At the beginning of the war he joined Company C, Tenth Virginia Cavalry, Confederate army. In the last year of the war he served in Captain Wingfield’s company. He was in the seven days battle near Richmond, and was at Sharpsburg, Fredericksburg, Chancellorsville, Gettysburg, and the siege of Petersburg in the fall of 1864; was taken prisoner and carried to Washington City in July, 1865, where he took the oath and was released. He had two brothers in the regiment in which he served. He returned to his home in Franklin county, after being released from prison, a sound man, having gone through the entire war without receiving a wound. He landed in Sturgeon, Missouri, in the winter of 1868, and settled on a farm southeast of town. In 1877, moved to town and has been a citizen of the place ever since. He was married, February 24, 1870, to Miss Penelope, daughter of James Hendrick. They have five children: J. Virgil, I. Homer, William L., Lilburn H. and Everett B. Mr. and Mrs. Montrief are both members of the Christian church. He is also a member of the Knights of Honor. He is at this writing mayor of the city. He has also held the office of constable. Since becoming a citizen of Sturgeon, he has followed the livery business in partnership with Mr. Prather. He is a man of excellent judgment and considerable culture, having received a fair education before entering the army. He is social, kind and accommodating as a neighbor and highly esteemed by all who know him. He is a Democrat in politics, but was raised a Whig."
"The subject of this sketch is the son of Elijah and Caroline (Owens) More, and was born at Little Rock, Arkansas, December 27, 1837. His father was born in Danville, Kentucky, and died in 1878 at Columbia, Missouri. His mother was born in Arkansas, and died at Little Rock in 1839. They were blessed with two sons. Dr. Livingfield, the elder, died in 1859, and Col. E. C. More alone survives. He was educated mostly in America, but spent several years upon the continent of Europe at schools and universities. He first went to school at Little Rock, Arkansas, then at St. Louis, and next at Shurtleff College, Illinois. At the age of fifteen he went to Europe, and went to school at Paris, France, then at Hanover, Germany, and at Cadiz, Spain. In 1856 he returned to America, and entered the junior class at Yale College and graduated in 1858. He studied law at home for a short time, then entered the law school at Lebanon, Tennessee, and graduated from that institution in 1861. He next went to St. Louis and entered the law office of Lackland, Cline & Jamison. In the spring of 1865 he went to Helena, Montana, and entered regularly into the practice of law, in partnership with Col. Aleck M. Woolfolk. In 1866 he took quite an extensive trip through Oregon and California, and after traveling some time in Central America, returned to Missouri, and settled down permanently at Columbia, Boone county. He practiced law three or four years at the Columbia bar but finally abandoned it entirely for farming, which occupation he has followed up to the present. His is a very large farm adjoining the city limits. He has a beautiful place, decorated in and with everything that cultivation, refinement and wealth could suggest. His farm is stocked with thoroughbred cattle and sheep as well as the best graded horses, hogs, etc. He has been president of the State Board of Agriculture and for several years of the Boone County Fair Association. His residence is one and one half miles north of Columbia. He has been twice married, the last time to Elizabeth, daughter of Judge Logan Hunton of St. Louis county. The Colonel takes an active part in politics, being unanimously chosen as Boone’s choice for congress in 1882. He enjoys the confidence of those who know him, and is a polished, thorough gentleman, dispensing hospitality at his elegant home in the true Southern manner. His residence has all the appointments that true elegance and cultivated tastes can suggest, and he, his wife and his home are always pleasantly remembered by those that enjoy their acquaintance."
"J.S. Moss, a prominent merchant and capitalist of Columbia, Missouri, was born in Logan county, Kentucky, January 31, 1831. At the age of seven, came to Greene county, Missouri, where he was raised on a farm. He was educated at the old country log school house. When fifteen years old went to Springfield and entered the store of Sheppard & Jaggard, dry goods merchants, where he remained for five years, when he became a member of the firm, and so continued for five years, when he commenced business under the firm name of J.S Moss & Co. Conducted this business until the close of the war. During the war did a liberal business. Confederates and Federals took what they wanted and gave vouchers in return. Some of the vouchers were afterwards honored, many were not. He was in Springfield when the battle was fought at Wilson Creek, and saw the body of Gen. Lyon. In February, 1862, he went South into Arkansas and Tennessee. In June 1863, when to St. Louis and from there to Columbia, Missouri, where he has resided ever since. Was married August 10, 1854, to Miss Clara, daughter of D. D. Berry, a native of Springfield, Missouri. Have had seven children, five of whom are living: Daniel Dorsey, J.S., Jr., Laura, Clara, and William. Mr. and Mrs. Moss are members of the Christian Church. Mr. Moss is also a member of the A.O.U.W."
"The maiden name of Mrs. Murry was Glasgow. Her father, Nathan Glasgow, was one of the early pioneers of Missouri. Her mother’s maiden name was Graham. Mrs. Murry was first married to Erastus King, of Callaway county, in 1848. Mr. King died in 1856, leaving three small children, all boys. In the spring of 1865 Mrs. Murry moved to the farm upon which she now resides, ten miles southeast of Columbia, containing 480 acres. Two of her sons, Nathan and John G. King, live with her. In 1874 she was married to Andrew Murry, who died in 1876. Mrs. Murry’s sons were all educated at Westminster college, Fulton, Missouri. One son died in infancy."