p. 1126 - HENRY PALMER
“This gentleman was born in Clark county, Kentucky, June 22, 1809. His parents were James and Elizabeth Palmer, both of whom were born and reared in Kentucky. They came to this State when Henry was young, and settled near where Sturgeon now is, remaining in Boone county till the time of their death. Henry was raised on the farm, and received his education chiefly in this county. He was married in about 1844 to Mrs. Sarah Stevenson, a widow lady, whose maiden name had been Ridgeway, a daughter of Zachariah and Sarah Ridgeway, Kentuckians, who came to this State in an early day. She had three children by her former marriage, but none by Mr. Palmer. She died in 1879, and Mr. P. was again married in 1881, to Mrs. Margaret J. Wolf, widow of Thomas Wolf, and daughter of James and Eliza Lampton, who came from Kentucky to this State in 1830, settling in Boone county, and residing here till their death.
“Mr. Palmer had no children by either marriage, though his last wife had ten children, four sons and six daughters by her first husband. Mr. and Mrs. P. are both members of the Christian church, as was also his first wife.
He has been a member for about twenty-three years, and was baptized and received into the church by Thomas Allen. Mr. P. owns a good farm which he cultivates successfully. To these old settlers who came to the county as early as did Mr. Palmer, it must be a great source of satisfaction to look back and contrast the present with the past. The county which was then but an unsettled wilderness, abounding with bear, deer, wolves and other wild beasts of the forest, has been touched by the magic wand of progress, wielded first by these pioneers, till now it blossoms as the rose, and has become the home of thousands who now enjoy the fruit of the toils and hardships endured by their first comers. Let us never forget the debt of gratitude due to those who labored that me might enjoy – the early pioneers of Boone county.”
“Joel Palmer, was one among the most enterprising farmers and stock raisers of Boone county. He was born in Clark county, Kentucky, in 1811, but removed in early life to Bourbon county, where he remained until his marriage, in 1831, to Miss Milly Fretwell of that county. He came to Missouri in 1833. He was the son of James and Elizabeth Foster Palmer. Landed in Boone county, Missouri, with a wagon and team and eight hundred dollars, and died worth about sixty thousand. He first settled about three miles south of Sturgeon, where he lived from 1833 to 1865. After selling his farm he moved several times, finally settling down with his son, Lancelot, where he died October 29, 1879. He left two children, Lancelot and Mary Susan Stewart. His first wife died, he was married the second time in his old age. Lancelot Palmer was born in Boone county, three miles south of Sturgeon, at the old Palmer homestead, May 10, 1834. He was raised in Boone county where he continued to reside until 1881, when he removed to Audrain, about one-half mile north of Sturgeon, where he now lives. He is largely engaged in farming and stock raising, which he has followed all his life. Was married June 2, 1867, to Martha Ann Cook, a native of Boone county, daughter of Robert and Ann Eliza Cook. The parents of Mrs. Palmer were formerly of Kentucky. They have four living children. Letha Ann, Robert Lee, James and Charles. Mr. and Mrs. Palmer are not members of any church. He belongs to no secret orders. Took no part in the late civil war. He owns about two thousand acres of land, one-half in Boone, the remainder in Audrain county.”
“The subject of this sketch is a native of England, having been born in London, February 18, 1830. He is the son of Charles and Mary Ann (Sparr) Pannell. Was educated at Graveshead, where he attended St John’s College. He was chorister at St. John’s Cathedral. Came to the United States in the fall of 1850, stopping for the first year at Quincy, Illinois. He next went to Hannibal, Missouri, where he was engaged as a teacher of music. He afterwards travelled and taught music in almost every city of consequence in the West. In 1858 he came to Columbia, and was professor of music in Christian College for two years. In 1879 he bought an interest in the Columbia Mills, and has been one of that firm ever since. Was married, in Christian College, by President Rogers, November 16, 1860, to Miss Fannie E., daughter of George and Ann Milton, natives of Virginia. Six children were born of this marriage, five sons and one daughter: Charles F., born October 16, 1861; Alfred K., born January 18, 1865; William M., born June 8, 186_; Edward F., born December 10, 1870; Eva, born August 17, 1873, and died October 21, 1874; and George H., born January 18, 1876. Charles received his education at Christian College. The other children are attending the University. The oldest son, Charles F., is now a member of the firm of Trimble, Fyfer & Co., Columbia, Missouri. He went into the store as cash boy at the age of fifteen or sixteen. Mr. Pannell is a well-informed, practical man, energetic and thoroughly in earnest in all his undertakings. He is a very fine musician and a composer of acknowledged ability. Some of his band music has gone the rounds of the entire country. He has frequently heard his music played in strange places and by strange musicians, note by note as he had written and played it, years before in teaching his classes.”
“This gentleman’s parents, John A. and Dorcas (Hocker) Paxton, were both natives of Kentucky, though John L., himself, is a Missourian. He was born in Montgomery county, February 9, 1852, where he grew up and was educated. At the age of 15, he began clerking in a store at Middletown, and continued for three years. In 1870, he went to Dakota Territory, and spent a year in the Yankton Reservation, herding cattle among the Indians. He returned to Middletown, Montgomery county, in 1871, and the next year came to Centralia, in this county, and began clerking for P.S. Hocker, remaining with him for some time. He was then engaged in a lumber yard till 1880, when he embarked in the drug business on his own responsibility. Mr. Paxton has made what he has himself, his own energy, pluck and industry, being sufficient to start him in life on a solid basis. He began life for himself when only 12 years old and has ‘held his own’ ever since. At this writing (1882) he is serving as city clerk of Centralia. Mr. Paxton was married in 1876 to Miss May Holmes, daughter of Sylvester Holmes, of Monroe county. They have one child, a son named Charles F.”
“The subject of this sketch was a native of Maryland, but was reared in Virginia. After he grew to manhood, he emigrated to Mason county, Kentucky, where he was elected sheriff for two terms, discharging the duties of that office satisfactorily. He then moved to Lexington, Missouri, and was living there when the gold fever of ‘49 took so many of Missouri’s best citizens to California. While he was absent in California his family moved to St. Francois county, where they remained about a year and then moved to Ste. Genevieve, where after about a year, they were joined by Mr. Peck, who had come back from California. They then moved to Boone county in the fall of 1852, and settled in Columbia. He died in Johnson county, Missouri. He made considerable money in California, but was taken sick among strangers and his money melted away. He was married the first time to Miss Ann DeBell of Kentucky, who died after being married five or six years. By this marriage they had one son, who died in California. He married the second time Miss Frances C., daughter of Edward Wood, Esq., of Fleming county, Kentucky, by whom he had eight cildren, only three of whom are living, E.H., born in Washington, Mason county, KY, July 26, 1841; F. W., born in Lexington KY, February 8, 1850, and O.P. born January 1, 1853. They were reared mostly in Boone county. E.H. and F.W. are in the drug business in Ashland under the firm name of Peck Bros., where they have been since March 19, 1879. E. H. Peck learned the drug business in Columbia, and is considered a first-class pharmacist. He took quite a trip through Texas, Indian Territory and Kansas. After coming back to Columbia he was postmaster there, and then went into business for himself and succeeded admirably. He was educated at subscription schools and at the University. He was one of the charter members of the Knights of Pythias Lodge at Columbia, and has been city treasurer of Ashland for two years. His father and mother were strict members of the Old School Presbyterian church. The Pecks were all descendants from three brothers who came over from Ireland, and upon the mother’s side were of French and German extraction. Thomas Stone one of the signers of the Declaration of Independence, was one of their mother’s ancestors.”
“Charles W. Pelsue, one of the proprietors of the Centralia Mills, is a native of Vermont, in which state he was born August 8, 1842. His grandfather, John Pelsue, was a Frenchman; his father, Parker B., married Lucy Emeline Hancock, a relative of Gen. W.S. Hancock. Charles was one of a family of twelve children – eight sons and four daughters. The subject of this sketch married Miss Jennie A., daughter of W. Conger, a native of New York. By this union they have had six children – three of each sex. Their names are Frank W., Cora E., Clara, Fred. E., Charles E., and Nadie L. Clara died in infancy. Mr. Pelsue was a corporal in the Ninth Missouri regiment (Federal) for three years. He was living in Audrain county when the war commenced, having settled there three years previous. In 1876 he sold his farm in Audrain and came to Centralia, where he purchased an interest in the Centralia mills, which he still owns. Mr. Pelsue is a member of the A.F. and A.M. He is a public-spirited, active business man, and, in every sense of the word, a useful citizen.”
“Mr. Pemberton is the son of John and Lucy (Vivion) Pemberton, and was born April 22, 1807, in Clark county, Kentucky. When he was nine years of age his parents moved to Woodford county, Kentucky. At the age of seventeen he learned the cabinet-maker’s trade in Fayette county, same State. In 1826 he came to Boone county, Missouri, and staid [sic] one year and then went to Fayette, Howard county, and worked at his trade in the shop of Samuel C. Major. In 1829 he returned to Kentucky and induced his father to come out to the new and growing West. He then settled in Columbia and worked at his trade for two years. He then moved six miles northeast of Columbia, and farmed on a small scale, carrying on his trade at the same time. He lived there about four years, and then went to Millersburg, Callaway county, Missouri, where he worked exclusively at his trade. In 1838 he bought the farm upon which he is now living, eight and one-half miles east of Columbia, on the Richland road. He has a fine farm of 240 acres, in a high state of cultivation. He married Miss Nancy, daughter of James and Mildred (Cave) Kirtley, on the 3d of May, 1832. By this marriage they have nine children, three boys and six girls: Frances, wife of Hiram Philips, of Boone county; Anne E., the wife of Wm. Truett, of Callaway county, Missouri; Eveline (deceased); John, a physician, of New Bloomfield, Callaway county, Missouri; Flora, wife of Frank Wilcox, of Columbia; Rella P., widow of Thomas Lynes, of Boone county; Maggie, wife of Winfield Potts, and two children, a boy and a girl, who died in infancy. His first wife died February 6, 1855. He married again on the 8th of September, 1870, Mrs. Louisa Shields, the widow of John Shields. Mr. Pemberton is one of Boone’s staunch, reliable citizens, and has, by industry and good management, acquired a fair competency, and is revered and respected by all. His parents were from Virginia. His father died in 1838 and his mother in 1845. They were buried in a family burying ground on the Stark farm in Boone county. They were the parents of eleven children, five boys and six girls.”
“Is the son of Martin and Nancy A. (nee Tate) Penter, and was born on his father’s farm in Independence county, Arkansas, February 7, 1836. When but thirteen years old he went to Oregon, where he attended the common schools, the Salem Institute and the Winchester Academy. From the spring of ‘62 till the fall of ‘65, he was engaged in trading in the mines of Oregon and Idaho, transferring supplies from the head of navigation to the interior mines, doing a wholesale and also a jobbing business. In the fall of ‘65 he sold out at Idaho City, and came via Salt Lake City and Denver to Omaha, and thence on to Quincy, Illinois, where he spent part of the succeeding winter, winding up with a visit to his old home in Arkansas. His coming to Boone county was in April, 1866. The three years succeeding he spent in farming and teaching in this county. In the fall of 1867 he entered the University of Columbia, in the Sophomore class, graduating with honors in the class of 1870. During his last year at the University he was an instructor in that institution. After leaving the college he became the teacher of the public school at Ashland, which position he filled for three years, engaging in the study of law at the same time. June 6, 1873, he was admitted to the bar at the session of the circuit court at Columbia. He has since been engaged in the practice of his profession, and in attending to his duties as a notary and in the business of conveyancer and real estate agent. April 1, 1875, in connection with J. W. Johnson, he began the publication of the Ashland Bugle, and continued the same for two years. During the troubles with the Indians in Oregon, Mr. Penter served six months in the Oregon volunteers against the savages, and was in two regular engagements and a number of skirmishes with them.
“November 9, 1881, Mr. Penter was married to Miss Maggie B. Johnston, daughter of Rev. J.T.M. Johnston, of Boone county. Mr. P. is a member of the Masonic fraternity and of the Knights of Pythias. In politics he is a Democrat; for a number of years he was a member of the county central committee, and has frequently been sent as a delegate to his party’s county, senatorial and State conventions.”
“It is a matter of much regret that the material for a life-sketch of so worthy a subject as Judge Persinger should have been supplied at so late a period before going to press as to necessitate only a brief mention of that distinguished man. Yet such frequent mention is made of him elsewhere in this work, that this and that will suffice where lack of space so compels it. Judge Persinger was the son of Jacob Persinger, a name given the latter by the gentleman of that name in Botetourt county, Virginia, who adopted Jacob when a captive among the Shawnee Indians. Alexander was born in Botetourt county, Virginia, July 11, 1790. He enjoyed but limited school privileges, and was largely self-educated. He served, when a young man, in the war of 1812, and subsequently came to Illinois, and then, in 1818, came to Missouri and settled in Montgomery county, where he resided till 1829, when he came to Boone county, making his home here till the day of his death. Though he spent many years in public office, he never in his life asked or sought for any public trust. He was first appointed judge of Montgomery county in about 1821, by Gov. Fred. Bates, and the appointment was made without even the judge’s knowledge. He yielded to the importunities of his friends, however, and accepted the trust which he so faithfully discharged. He was twice elected and served that county in the legislature, and did similar service one term for Boone county. For eighteen years he served the latter as county court judge, and it was as presiding justice of that court that he achieved his most enduring fame. No man ever graced the position with more dignity, or filled it to the better interest of the county. Judge Persinger had been married, while living in Montgomery county, to a Miss Simpson, by whom he had two children, James B. Persinger, who died on his way to California in 1850, and Mrs. Sallie A., who died in 1870, the wife of James E. Johnston, of Columbia. His first wife died in Montgomery county, and he was again married in 1830, to Mrs. Elizabeth Spence, widow of John M. Spence, though no children were born of this union.
“Judge Persinger died at the residence of his son-in-law, James E. Johnston, in Columbia, Missouri, September 2, 1875, in the eighty-sixth year of his age. Since 1836 he had been a member of the Christian Church, and died triumphant in the hope of immortality. A gentleman of Columbia who knew him well, says of him in an obituary sketch: ‘The Alexander Persinger who so recently tottered with trembling steps to an honored grave, is dead! His mortality will decay and go back again to the cold, dull earth; but that high-souled, chivalric body, descended from Revolutionary loins, who twice bared his young bosom to the storms of relentless war waged against his weak and struggling country; that bold young pioneer who made our wilderness bloom ere Missouri became a star in the constellation of States; that sanguine legislator whose prudence, wisdom and industry contributed so largely in constructing the foundations of our jurisprudence and civilization; that austere, wise, patient, laborious, learned, incorruptible judge, whose long, eventful, righteous, prosperous and happy administration of justice so signally blessed and elevated our people, still lives, and will live on through ages until gratitude shall cease to abide in the well-springs of the human heart, and generous appreciation be banished from the human soul. Pure, great, good old man! The tearful gratitude and love of a whole people bid you farewell.’”
“Mr. Philips is the son of Warner and Catherine (Hutchings) Philips, and was born April 30, 1826, in Boone county, Missouri, near Stephens’ station. His father was born in Virginia, November 24, 1794, and died in Boone county, Missouri, March 24, 1881. His mother was born November 5, 1807, and died August 29, 1876. They are buried in the family burial ground upon the old homestead. They were blest with eight children, six boys and two girls, only two of whom are now living, Mrs. Ann E. Roberts, of Centralia, and Joseph B., our subject. They settled about eleven miles northeast of Columbia, on the Columbia and Concord road, where Joseph was born. Joseph lived at home with his parents until the spring of 1850. He concluded to join the army of California gold-hunters, and accordingly went to the famous gold fields of that renowned territory. At the end of his fourth year spent in mining in California, he returned to old Boone, and remained with his parents until he married, January 4, 1857, Miss Virginia, daughter of Walker and Lucinda Walden, of Virginia. By this union they have but one child, Lou Ann, born February 27, 1859. In the fall of 1859 Mr. Philips moved his family to Texas, but only stayed a year, when he once more turned his face toward Missouri. He purchased his father’s old homestead, and has lived upon it until the present. Mr. Philips is one of Boone’s earliest-born children, and has lived to see some wonderful changes in the affairs of his native county. His farm contains 240 acres of good land, well improved. He is a Mason, and his wife and daughter are members of the Christian church.”
“Augustine Phillips, the father of James W., was born in Boone county, May 1, 1823. He was the son of Hiram and Elizabeth Phillips, both natives of Kentucky, but among the earliest settlers of this county. Augustine Phillips died February 21, 1876, and is buried at the old Phillips burying ground, in Columbia township. His widow, Mary Ann (McQuitty) Phillips, is still living on the home farm with her oldest son, James W. She was born July 31, 1825. She is the daughter of George W. and Elizabeth McQuitty, and was born in Boone county. Her father died about nine years ago, and is buried at Walnut Grove church, near Rocheport. Mrs. McQuitty is still living on her farm, six miles north of Rocheport, at the age of seventy-four, still in excellent health and able to dispense with her glasses in reading or in executing the most difficult needlework. James W. Phillips, the subject of this sketch, is the oldest one living of a family of four children. Elizabeth F. was born January 10, 1846, and died July 13, 1864. She is buried in the old Phillips burying ground. James William was born April 2, 1849. He has lived all his life on the farm where he was born, except two years spent in Henry county, Missouri. Both his brothers are residents of Boone county. John H. was born January 1, 1855. He married Laura C. Grey. They have two children, Nanny Maud and Minnie May. Jasper A., the youngest of the brothers, was born February 20, 1857. He was married March 5, 1876, to Ellen Singleton. They have three [sic] children: Virgil, Augustine, Albert Hiram and Ruth. James W. Phillips was married February 26, 1870, to Miss Jennie Hart. But one child was born of this marriage, Mary C., who died in infancy. Mrs. Phillips lived but three years after their marriage. Mr. Phillips was married April 13, 1876, to Miss Rebecca Edwards, of Montrose, Henry county, Missouri. They have three children: George Augustine, William Edwards and Lillie Bell. Mr. Phillips is an active, enterprising farmer and an excellent citizen. He is a member of the Grange and Masonic orders. Both himself and wife are members of the Christian church."
“Peter Pickert, son of Elias Pickert, is of German origin. He was born, in the State of New York, March 13, 1842. His father was a farmer and boatman, and the son was brought up on the farm. He went with his father to Wisconsin where he was married to Miss Lucy M., daughter of Ephraim Minor. They have four children, two of each sex. He came to Boone county, Missouri, in 1873, and settled on the farm upon which he now resides. It is a handsome place pleasantly located. He is a member of the K. of H.”
“Was born in Washington (now Boyle) county, Kentucky, near the city of Danville, March 31, 1811. His parents moved to Missouri when he was six years old, and settled in Boone county, then a part of Howard. [See chapter on early boundaries.] Here he resided with his father’s family and worked on the farm till he was 18 years old. Then he began learning the gunsmith’s trade with John G. Phillips, in the locality of his father’s residence, and worked with his ‘boss’ for three years. He then established a shop of his own in Howard county, in 1831. The Black Hawk war broke out soon afterwards, and Mr. Pipes enlisted for its suppression and served till the close in the battalion under Maj. John B. Clark. Returning to Howard county, he resumed his trade, and also purchased a small farm which he operated in addition to his shop work. When the Mormon war came on, he again volunteered for service, and was in a short time ‘orderly’ in the company commanded by Capt. Jared Robinson. Returning once more to his shop and farm, he drove those peaceful vocations till the gold fever seized him in 1850. He crossed the plains to California, where after mining a short time at Placerville, he proceeded to Stockton, where he purchased a team and engaged in the then lucrative vocation of freighting until March, 1851, when he came home. He sold his property in Howard in 1852, and moved into Boone county and purchased the farm where he now resides, in Missouri township. His homestead contains 350 acres, and he also owns another 2 1/2 miles distant from the former. Judge Pipes was married, December 23, 1832, to Mrs. Mary Williams, a widow lady of Howard county. They have three children, George, Charles, and Julia A., wife of George W. Drake, of Howard county. Judge Pipes has always been a successful manager in his private affairs, insomuch that his neighbors and the public were constrained to demand his services officially. He was appointed justice of the peace by the county court in 1840, and elected subsequently and retained 9 years. In 1876, he was elected associate justice of the county court, and in 1878 was elected presiding justice, which position he still holds. Judge Pipes and all his family are members of the Christian church, he being one of the elders of Big Spring church, in Howard county.” (Pipes portrait f p.954)
“Charles H. Prather, of the livery firm of Montrief & Prather, Sturgeon, Missouri, was born in Madison county, Kentucky, October 19, 1829. He is the son of Thomas and Polly (Cowan) Prather. The elder Prather was born and raised in Kentucky. Mrs. Prather was born in Virginia. They moved to Boone county, Missouri, about the year 1830, and settled on a farm four miles north of Columbia, where Mr Prather spent the remainder of his life, dying in 1848. The subject of this sketch was two years old when his parents came to Boone county. He was reared on a farm and followed agricultural pursuits until he engaged in the livery business two years ago. He lived in Randolph seven years, and in Audrain twelve years, his home being near Sturgeon. For the last two years Mr. Prather has been engaged in the livery business with Montrief. Was married October 19, 1849, to Eliza J., daughter of Joseph Brown, of Boone county. The following children born of this marriage, are now living: Mary Ellen, Joseph, John, and Ida May. The first wife having died February 23, 1880, Mr. Prather married Miss Said, daughter of William Barnett. Served in Capt. Davenport’s company, Confederate army, during the last year of the war. Was in several minor engagements while on route southward. He is a member of the Christian church. His wife is a Methodist. Mr. Prather is a member of the Knights of Honor, also of the Home Mutual Association. In addition to the livery business, Mr. Prather is largely interested in the cattle trade in partnership with his brother-in-law.”
“Philip Prather, son of Thomas and Mary (Cowan) Prather, was born May 3, 1834, in Boone county, Missouri. He was raised on his father’s farm, now occupied by his brother, James Prather, and was educated at the ‘Old Bear Creek school house,’ under the instructions of Judge J.A. Boulton. He was married, December 25, 1856, to Miss Georgie A., daughter of Maj. James B. and Cynthia (Riley) Nichols. The father-in-law of Mr. Prather was no ordinary man, and deserves more than a passing notice. He was the son of George and Rebecca (Davis) Nichols, and was born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, September 10, 1796. Came to Boone county, Missouri, in the fall of 1824, settling on the W.C. Robnett farm, on the Two-mile prairie. In 1826 he removed to Columbia. In 1836 he bought the farm where W. H. Robnett lived, finally moving to the William Orear place, five miles north of Columbia, where he remained until the death of his wife in 1867. He was married, in 1818, to Miss Cynthia, daughter of John Riley, of Clark county, Kentucky. They had ten children, of whom eight are now living. John died in California. Mary Osborne, wife of George Osborne, deceased, – who died in the Sandwich Islands, – came back to Missouri and married Dr. John T. Bailey, of Fayette. She is also dead. The living are J.A. Nichols, of Audrain county; Huldah, wife of R.V. Bailey, deceased; Susan Reed, wife of Frederic Reed of Columbia; Elizabeth Orear, wife of Joseph B. Orear, of Audrain county; Caroline, wife of Henry Brown, deceased, of Boone county; Fannie, wife of John Crump, of Fayette; Georgie Ann, wife of Philip Prather, of Boone county; Sarah R., wife of Francis M. Grant, of Columbia. Mr. Nichols was a Master Mason. The subject of this sketch has had four children, one son and three daughters. Lula, born February 21, 1858, now the wife of B.J. Brown; Fannie F., born June 13, 1862; Katie B., born October 3, 1864, died August 14, 1866; Frank Grant, January 24, 1868. Mr. Prather has always followed farming, and now owns 160 acres of excellent land, situated on the Columbia and Blackfoot rock road. He moved to this place in 1857. The farm is well timbered and watered, and by the energy and industry of Mr. Prather it has been well improved and made as productive as possible. There is an excellent coal mine on the land the vein of which averages nearly three feet in thickness. Mr. Prather has taken out about three thousand bushels of coal annually since the mine was opened. Mr. and Mrs. Prather, and their daughter, Miss Fannie F., are members of the Christian church at Oakland.” [extensive bio of Maj. James B. Nichols included]
“Samuel Hays Prather is the son of Thomas and Mary Elizabeth (Cowan) Prather. He was born in Pulaski county, Kentucky, March 15, 1824, and came to Callaway county, Missouri, with his parents in 1832. The year following, they moved to Boone county and settled on the farm now owned by William J. Brown, four and one-half miles north of Columbia. They lived on this place one year, when they purchased a farm four miles north of Columbia, on the gravel road, which is now owned and occupied by James C. Prather. The subject of this sketch was educated at the public schools, principally at the Bear Creek school house, under the instructions of Jesse A. Boulton. Mr. Prather was married, April 15, 1844, to Miss Mary J., daughter of William and Elizabeth (Johnson) Ritchey, natives of Scott county, Kentucky. By this union they have had seven children, four sons and three daughters: William T., born May 20, 1845, died March 25, 1857; Mary E., born October 30, 1848, died March 31, 1879; Catherine R., born May 26, 1851; James S., born June 27, 1854, died in infancy; Margaret S., born August 16, 1856; Edward, born December 3, 1859; Charles C., born February 27, 1863. Mr. Prather bought the farm where he now lives in the spring of 1847. When he took possession, there were but fifteen acres of cleared land and no other improvements. He first built a log cabin, in which he lived while preparing the land for cultivation. The farm consists of 207 acres of excellent land, now finely improved. The natural advantages of the place can hardly be surpassed. There are a number of excellent springs on the land and plenty of excellent timber. Mr. Prather, his wife and all their children are members of the Christian church. During the war he was drafted to serve in the State militia, but hired a substitute. Mr. Prather’s father was one of the pioneer settlers of the county. He was the father of eight children, six sons and two daughters, all of whom are living except one son, John, who died about thirty years ago. Thomas Prather died April 26, 1840, and is buried on the farm now owned by John M. Keen. Mrs. Prather died April 12, 1861, and is buried by the side of her husband. Mr. and Mrs. Prather were both members of the Christian church.”
“The subject of this memoir was born on the 13th day of January, 1815, at what is now known as East Longmeadow, in the county of Hampden and State of Massachusetts. His father, grandfather and great-grandfather were large farmers, and lovers of fat cattle and fine horses. His grandfather was a soldier in the great revolution of 1776, serving under Washington through that long and bloody war, which finally terminated in the liberation of the American colonists from British rule; and his grandmother, whose maiden name had been Mary Cooley, was one of the young wives of that heroic generation who encouraged the patriotic devotion of their husbands.
“Mr. Pratt’s school education was obtained at the district school in his father’s neighborhood, the ‘high school’ at Springfield, the ‘academy’ at Westfield, and the college
at Amherst, from which latter institution he holds the diploma of master of arts. “In 1836 Mr. Pratt entered upon the profession of civil engineering, being employed on city work, on the survey of Fox river in Wisconsin for the Federal Government, and on the location of the railway from Hartford, Conn., to Springfield, Mass. In the first and second of these engagements he served under a French engineer who had been lieutenant-colonel in the Imperial Guard of the great Napoleon.
“In August, 1841, he came to Missouri; in January, 1842, he was appointed professor of languages in Bonne Femme College in Boone county, and on the 22d of December of the same year, he was married to Sarah Maria, daughter of William Sheilds, Esq., of that neighborhood. On the 15th of June, 1843, he was appointed assistant to Robert S. Thomas, professor of languages in the State University at Columbia, and on the 6th day of September of the same year, Prof. Thomas was made professor of metaphysics, logic, etc., and Mr. Pratt was appointed professor of ancient and modern languages. Here he taught the Latin, Greek, French and, on one occasion, the Spanish, languages for seven years; and, in 1850, he resigned his position and went across the plains to California. The country, from the western boundary of Missouri to the waters of the Sacramento river, in California, was then entirely uninhabited, except by Indians. After spending a year in the old mines, he returned by way of Central America, Havana and New York, arriving at home in January, 1852. In the spring and summer of that year he assisted his father-in-law in re-surveying a portion of the boundary line between Missouri and Iowa, and closing up the land lines to the State line on both sides of the same.
“The construction of railroads having commenced in the State of Missouri, Mr. Pratt, in the autumn of 1852, resumed his old profession of civil engineering, taking employment at the time on the Missouri Pacific Railroad, and during the next twenty years, i.e., till 1872, he was engaged for most of the time in the location and construction of railroads, principally in Missouri, but doing some work in Iowa, in Kansas and in Arkansas. While on the Pacific railroad, he also located and superintended the construction of the old plank road from Columbia to Providence in 1854-5, and while engineer of the Columbia Branch railroad, he also located the turnpikes from Columbia to Rocheport, to Ashland and to Cedar Creek in 1867. So also, while engineer of the Helena and Iron Mountain railroad, he superintended the construction of a levee on the Mississippi river below Helena, in 1871.
“When the board of railroad commissioners for the State of Missouri was organized, April 27, 1875, Mr. Pratt was appointed the secretary of that commission, which position he held until January 10, 1881, when he was commissioned as railroad commissioner for six years, having been elected for that office at the general election held November 2, 1880, at which election he received the largest vote given in Missouri for any candidate, either State or Federal. “Mr. Pratt has been a resident of Boone county ever since 1842, and of Columbia since 1843.”
“The subject of this sketch was the son of Moss and Nancy (Johnson) Prewitt. He was born in Columbia, Missouri, July 23, 1845, and was educated at the State University, graduating from that institution June 28, 1865, with the degree of A.M. He was married, September 7, 1869, to Miss Sallie W., youngest daughter of Woodson G. and Lucy J. Rubey, of Columbia. They had three daughters, one of whom, Iza, a lovely child of six years, died of diptheria in 1876. The surviving children are Laura R. and Lucille D. Mr. Prewitt was, until his health failed him, an active, energetic man. In 1866 he engaged in the mercantile business of Columbia, being a partner in the firm of Moss & Prewitt. He remained in this business until 1875, when he left the store in the hope of restoring his health by travelling. He visited the South, spending several years in Florida and Texas, but to little purpose. He returned to Columbia in feeble health, and gradually grew worse until he quietly breathed his last, May 25, 1880. He was a member of the Baptist church, and an earnest, devoted Christian. He did much for the cause of religion, contributing liberally of his means and laboring personally for that faith which was ever dear to his heart. He was deacon of the church, and for a number of years superintendent of the Baptist Sunday school, and an active member of the Young Men’s Christian Association. He was also one of the trustees of Stephens College. He was a zealous worker in the cause of education and temperance; in fact, every cause calculated to benefit the human race found him an earnest supporter. Moss Prewitt, the father of Robert was, in his day, one of the most successful business men of Columbia, and his son inherited many of the elements of character which achieved such signal prosperity for his father in the commercial activities of life. Robert Prewitt, though cut off in the morning of promising young manhood, yet lived long enough to establish a character for virtue, devotion to principle and conscientious and unswerving maintenance of conviction of duty, whose influence will be felt long after his name and life shall have faded from the memories of men.”
“The subject of this memoir is a son of R. B. Price, president of the Boone County National Bank. In discharging the duties of this important trust Mr. Price has shown remarkable ability. It is a position requiring prudence, firmness and decision of character, characteristics for which Mr. Price has long been noted. As a financier he has few equals; his long and successful management of this business is sufficient commendation in itself. Edwin M. Price was born in Columbia, August 5, 1856; his mother was Emma Prewitt, daughter of Moss Prewitt, one of the pioneer business men of Columbia; he was both banker and merchant, and by diligent management accumulated a large fortune. He once owned the land upon which a large portion of Columbia is now situated; he was also largely interested in slave property. Just prior to the war he owned more negroes than any other planter in the county. He was then largely engaged in farming. When the war commenced he turned his attention to banking and merchandising. The subject of this sketch was educated at the Missouri State University, taking a scientific course; he received his diploma in 1880. Soon after graduating he purchased one thousand one hundred and eighty acres of the celebrated ‘Model Farm, previously the property of Hon. John W. Harris. Mr. Price is now living on this beautiful farm and is extensively engaged in raising thoroughbred cattle. He has on his farm one hundred and ten head of imported sheep. He is also largely interested in the mule trade. The farm is abundantly supplied with all kinds of labor-saving machinery. The ‘Model Farm’ is situated in the blue grass region. The pastures in this part of the country are scarcely inferior to those of Bourbon county, Kentucky. Mr. Price was married in 1881 to Miss Mary Lakenan, daughter of Senator R. F. Lakeman, of Hannibal, Missouri. They have one son. He bears the name of R. B. Price, Jr."
“J.M. Proctor, one of the most prominent and successful business men in his section of the country, was born in Macon county Missouri, February 12, 1842. He first came to Boone county in 1849, remaining about four years, during which time he was engaged in farming out in the ‘white oaks.’ Returning to Bloomington, Macon county, he learned the tinner’s trade. He remained at Bloomington until 1860, when he removed to Mexico, Missouri, where he remained during the war, except for a few weeks spent in campaigning with Col. Porter; was in the fight at Monroe Station, the first battle of the war fought on Missouri soil. He was also at Moore’s Mill and Florida. Mr. Proctor is the son of Dr. William H. and Sophronia (nee Maughs) Proctor. His mother is a sister of Dr. J.M.B. Maughs, of St. Louis and Mordecai Maughs, of Callaway county. He was married January 20, 1864, to Miss Ella, daughter of William White, a Methodist minister, of Mexico. They have five children: Finnie, Laura Belle, Willie Patton, John Henry, and Edna Clay. After his marriage he removed to Sturgeon, where he has been actively engaged in farming and trading ever since. He is a self-made man, having had no advantages save those he created for himself. He went to school in the woods, the school-house being made of unhewn timber, the fireplace occupying an entire end of the rude cabin. When he returned to Bloomington, he went one term to the High School, finishing his education while learning his trade. After working all day he usually spent about half the night studying. He labored after working hours to procure money to buy books. He read law for two years and was anxious to enter upon the duties of that profession but had not the means to do so. Mr. and Mrs. Proctor, and all their children except one, are members of the Methodist Church South. He was a candidate before the Democratic convention for the State Senate in 1880, but was beaten by Hon. James L. Stephens, of Columbia. He is of Scotch origin, on his father’s side. His mother was of French extraction. He has accumulated considerable property, and is doing a profitable business. He is one of the largest dealers in railroad ties in the State. He is true to his convictions, fair in his dealings, and earnest and sincere in the discharge of duty. Mr. Proctor was nominated at the Democratic primaries in August, 1882, as a candidate for representative, defeating a strong competitor, Capt. J. W. Kneisley, in every voting precinct in the county but one."
“Is the son of Micajah and Nancy (Sullins) Proctor, and was born November 14, 1819, in this county. His father and mother were both natives of Kentucky. His father died in 1819 and his mother in 1824, here in Boone. His father settled on the Big Bonne Femme, about four miles and a half south of where Mr. Proctor is now living. Upon the family’s breaking up at the death of his parents he lived with a brother of his mother until he was sixteen years of age, when he went out to fight life’s battles for himself. He was without means or education, the facilities for schooling being very poor in those early days. The first year he worked for wages, and received pay for every day with the exception of one half day which he worked upon the road. At the close of the year he had saved $120. He went to school nine months and again resumed work. He then taught two terms of three months each. He married on November 1, 1844, Miss Julia Ann Ballinger, daughter of Elijah and Mary Ballinger. His wife is a native of South Carolina. They have had ten children, five of whom are now living – James E., Mary E., Micajah Gibson, Jasper Emmett and Charles Everett. Himself and wife are members of the Old School Baptist church. He was a volunteer in the Mormon war, but never saw service, as the trouble ceased before he arrived at the rendezvous. His father forted and farmed near Boonville when he first came here because of the hostile Indians near there. Mr. Proctor has been a school director for forty years, with the exception of a year or two. He has a splendid farm, nearly all acquired by his own industry and good management. He is one of Boone’s substantial citizens and a clever gentleman.”
“The subject of this biography was born in Adair county, Kentucky, January 26, 1809. He was the eldest of a family of eleven children born to James and Margaret Prowell, natives of Virginia. The Prowells are of Irish descent. William, grandfather on the father’s side, was a soldier of the revolution. The maternal grandfather, Robin Fletcher, was a soldier in the war of 1812. Mr. Prowell’s opportunities for obtaining an education were few and of the most primitive character. He obtained the rudiments of a common school education in a rude log cabin, destitute of floor and chimney. The fireplace was in the center of the room, under an aperture in the roof, through which the smoke escaped. Capt. Prowell married Miss Betsey Booher, daughter of Capt. John Booher, a native of Virginia, but at the time of his daughter’s marriage a citizen of Kentucky. Seven children were born of this marriage, five of whom are alive at this writing. One of his daughters, Nancy W., married Montgomery Cowden, and removed with him to Texas. They have six children. Elizabeth married John M. Phillippie, of Boone county. They have ten children, two of whom are married. The names of the other children, living and dead, are Caroline; Mary J.; David, Jr.; John; and James. Capt. Prowell came to Missouri in 1834. While on the road his oldest child sickened and died. He settled near where he now lives, on ‘View Hill,’ a very commanding situation, presenting a fine view of the surrounding country. His farm is located ten miles north of Columbia. The farming land lies in the valley of Silver’s Fork of the Perche, and is very productive, producing, in 1881, forty bushels of wheat to the acre. The up-land is rolling and finely timbered, being well adapted to the growth of grass, tobacco, corn and wheat. The farm is admirably watered. Notwithstanding the corn crop of Missouri was almost a failure in 1881, Capt. Prowell produced on his farm a surplus of 500 bushels. In the beginning of the civil war, Capt. Prowell responded to the call of the governor for volunteers, but the army was soon disbanded and he returned home. When the second call was made, he again responded. He was detached by his colonel to intercept a company of the enemy; hence did not reach Boonville till the battle was over. Returning to his home soon after, he was arrested and banished from the State, in company with several other prominent citizens of Boone county, known to be friendly to the South. Returning from Illinois, where he had been banished, he has remained quietly on his farm ever since. Capt. Prowell has always lived peaceably with his neighbors, having never been engaged in a law suit, though he has had as many business transactions with his fellow men as usually falls to the lot of a single individual. He has always been a positive Democrat. To him the name is a synonym for honesty. He has always been a farmer, but in early life used to teach school during the winter season. He taught but one term, however, after coming to Missouri. Capt. Prowell is widely known and universally respected. His hospitality is proverbial. It is a saying of his, and a characteristic one, that the latch string of his door hangs on the outside.” (David Prowell portrait f p.947)
“Robert Prowell is a native of Adair county, Kentucky, where he was born December 10, 1813. His father, James, was the son of William Prowell, a soldier of the revolution. The Prowells are of Irish origin, the great-grandfather of Robert having emigrated to America in Colonial days. The subject of this sketch grew up to manhood in Kentucky, emigrating to Boone county, Missouri, in 1836. He settled on a farm and devoted his attention to agriculture and to breeding extra stable stock, keeping a special grade of harness and draught horses. He has followed this business successfully for over forty years. Mr. Prowell was married December 19, 1838, to Miss Charlotte E., daughter of Leven Bishop, a native of Maryland. Eight children were born to them, four of each sex, three of whom, James, Lewis and Arabella, are dead. The surviving children are Margaret J.; Sarah E.; William; Judah A.; and Joseph B. Margaret J. married Luther V. Caldwell. They have had three children, two of whom are living. Sarah E. married William Hayes. They have six children. William married Mary E. Lyon. They have three children. Judah A. married William Milhollen. They have three children. Mr. Prowell commenced improving his present home in 1846. It was then almost an unbroken forest. He bought the land from David Booth, who had entered it several years before. The farm contains 266 acres. As to religion. Mr. Prowell is a Methodist. His family are also members of that church. Mrs. Prowell has been a devoted Christian since she was fifteen years old, and has brought up her family in the fear and admonition of the Lord. She has been an active church member for fifty years.”
“William Prowell, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Boone county, Missouri, August 8, 1847. His father Robert Prowell, was born in Adair county, Kentucky, as may be learned from his biography which appears elsewhere in this volume. William grew to manhood on his father’s farm. He received a fair education at the district schools and State University and followed teaching in the public schools of this county for about five years. He was married, March 15, 1870, to Mary E., daughter of Eli and Nancy Lyon, of Boone county. They have three children, all living: Lucy P., Robert E., and Carrie L. Mr. Prowell and his wife are both members of the Baptist church. He is also a member of the Order of United Workmen, at Sturgeon, and a notary public. He runs a blacksmith shop in connection with his farm, also keeps a supply of staple groceries for his farm hands. He is a well-to-do, prosperous farmer, owning some 320 acres of good land and about 600 acres of white oak lands, besides an interest in other real estate. He uses all available machinery and keeps fully abreast with the age in which he lives. Though still a young man, he has by his individual industry and enterprise accumulated nearly all he possesses, having received only a bare start in the world from his own and his wife’s parents.”
“James L. Pruette, proprietor of the Columbia tobacco store, is the son of James and Permelia (White) Pruette. He was born November 8, 1817, in the city of Frankfort, Kentucky, where he was raised and educated. He served an apprenticeship at the tailor’s trade, working four years at the business. When about seventeen years old he left his native State and commenced his travels, and for the next forty years was continuously on the move, visiting almost every State of the Union, Canada, Mexico and the tropics. In 1850 he went to California and remained there for two or three years, then came back to the States. Returning to California in 1861, he remained there until 1867, when he came to Columbia and went into the grocery trade with Robert Shock. Sold out his interest in 1875 and bought the tobacco and cigar store of J. M. Baker, and has remained in this business ever since. Previous to this he was weigh-master of Columbia for one year. The citizens of Columbia put him in possession of the tobacco store, and he wishes to express his profound gratitude and hearty appreciation of their kindness. At his death he means to give all that he may then possess to the poor of Columbia. He has built up a good trade, congenial to his taste and sufficiently remunerative to make him independent and comfortable. March 12, 1871, he united with the Methodist Church South, under the preaching of Rev. John D. Vincil. He has been a consistent, conscientious member ever since. His father and mother are both dead. His father died when he was an infant. His mother died in 1832.”