p. 728 - JOHN R. SAMES

“John R. Sames was born in Audrain county, Missouri, May 29, 1859. He is the son of Dr. Charles F. Sames, a native of Germany, but of French extraction. Dr. Sames emigrated to the United States in 1847 and settled in Audrain county, where he now lives. The subject of this sketch was educated principally at the Missouri State University. In 1880 he went to Montana Territory. Returning in 1881, he opened a grocery store at Centralia, in partnership with James B. Giddings. The firm name is Sames & Giddings. They keep a general stock of fancy and staple groceries. Mr. Sames is a member of the Masonic and United Workmen lodges, and Democrat in politics. He is courteous, affable gentleman, well known and highly appreciated by the community in which he resides.”


“John H. Sampson, farmer and stock raiser, was born in Richmond, Madison county, Kentucky, April 6, 1818. His parents were Richard and Mary (Watkins) Sampson. He was educated at the Richmond Seminary. When eighteen years of age his parents removed to Missouri and settled near Rocheport, arriving at their destination in the fall of 1839. The elder Sampson purchased a tract of land containing 360 acres, now known as the Sampson homestead. The son remained with his parents until 1842, when he married Miss Martha A., daughter of Michael and Martha E. Woods, pioneer settlers of Boone county, having emigrated from Kentucky to Missouri in 1816. After his marriage, Mr. Sampson removed to a farm of 126 acres given him by his father. This was the nucleus of his present estate, to which he has added 361 acres, making in all 487 acres. He has devoted most of his life to agricultural pursuits, allowing nothing to interfere with or impede his efforts in that direction. He has ten children: Richard Henry, Michael Woods, Mary Watkins, Martha Denney, Margaret Francis, Sarah Caroline, John Thomas, Julia Elizabeth, William Arthur, and Walter Irvin, all under the parental roof. They lost one son, James D., who died in 1863, aged two years and six months. Mr. Sampson, wife and four children are members of the Walnut Grove Baptist church, of which he has been a deacon for fifteen years, and clerk for twenty-four years. In 1868 he and seven other enterprising citizens of Boone county bought up the stock of the Columbia and Rocheport turnpike, assuming a debt of $7,000, which they have since paid, and have maintained the road ever since.”



“The subject of this sketch was born in Richmond, Madison county, Kentucky, October 6, 1815. He is the son of Richard and Mary (Watkins) Sampson. His father was born in Baltimore county, Maryland, July 20, 1780. Mary, daughter of Absalom Watkins, and mother of Thomas Watkins Sampson, was born in Albemarle county, Virginia, March 15, 1789. Richard Sampson and Mary Watkins were married in Richmond, Madison county, Kentucky, March 14th, 1811. The subject of this sketch was in rather feeble health in early manhood, and spent several years travelling in the Southern States. He spent several winters in New Orleans and Mobile, and in the fall of 1848, was stricken down with the yellow fever while in New Orleans. In the spring of 1849, in company with the distinguished mountaineer, guide, and Indian fighter, Capt. Jim Kirker, and two Delaware Indian scouts and hunters, he crossed the plains to Santa Fe, New Mexico, passing through Colorado. From Santa Fe, they passed through the State of Sonora, old Mexico, and Arizona Territory, by way of the Pima Indian villages and Tucson; then across the desert to San Diego, and thence to San Francisco by sea, returning home in the spring of 1852, after an absence of three years. This trip proved very beneficial to Mr. Sampson, his health having been fully restored by the journey. In the spring of 1846 he assisted in raising a company of volunteer cavalry to join Gen. Price’s army which was to cross the plains from Fort Leavenworth to New Mexico, at the beginning of the Mexican war. Mr. Sampson was elected second lieutenant of this company. Owing to the large number of volunteer companies offering their services at the time, his company was too late to be accepted. Mr. Sampson, however, accepted a situation in the quartermaster’s department, at Fort Leavenworth, and remained there until the close of the season, forwarding trains across the plains with supplies for Price’s army. He then went to New Orleans, and was in that city when our troops returned from Mexico. Mr. Sampson seems to have manifested a fondness for military life at quite an early age. He was commissioned a captain of militia when but nineteen years old, by Governor James Clark, of Kentucky. At the age of twenty he received a major’s commission in the same regiment, signed by Governor James Morehead. He cast his first vote for Cassius M. Clay for member of the Legislature in 1847. After coming to Missouri he voted with the Whig party until 1856, when he voted for James Buchanan for President. He was a member of the Democratic State Convention at Jefferson City in 1860, and voted for C. F Jackson for Governor; has been a Democrat ever since, but did not vote for Horace Greeley for President; voted for Gen. Grant each time he was elected President. Mr. Sampson was married in Rocheport, November 2, 1848, by Rev. David Coulter, of the Presbyterian church, to Miss Lessie B., daughter of G.W.C. and Jane Melody. Mr. Sampson is a member of the Episcopal church at Columbia, Missouri; Mrs. Sampson is a member of the Presbyterian church. Richard Sampson, father of the subject of this sketch, was baptized in the Episcopalian church, in Baltimore county, Maryland. Mary Watkins was baptized in the Protestant Episcopal church, in Virginia, in 1830. She afterwards united with the Presbyterian church, at Richmond, Kentucky, there being no Episcopal church in that place. Richard Sampson never united with any other church, but remained as a baptized member of the Episcopal church to the day of his death. Thomas Watkins Sampson is a farmer, having a comfortable home near Rocheport. He has a large collection of books, and derives his greatest pleasure from intellectual pursuits. He is a great reader, and spends much of his time with his books.”



“John M. Samuel was born in Columbia, Boone county, Missouri, December 16, 1825. His parents were Richard and Lucy (Marrs) Samuel. He had the misfortune to lose both his father and mother at the age of six years, and was subsequently taken to Kentucky where he was reared to manhood and partly educated under the care of relatives of that State. Returning to Columbia, Missouri, in 1842, he entered the State University, then opened for the first time for the admission of students. He was therefore one among the first to avail himself of the superior advantages afforded by this institution of learning. In 1844 he attended college in Louisville, Kentucky. He then studied law with Preston Loughborough and William H. Field, of that city, and in 1848-9 attended a course of lectures at the law school of Transylvania University, Kentucky. After years of study and preparation for the bar, he now determined to engage in the mercantile business and devoted all his energy and enterprise in that direction, being largely interested in the sale of merchandise and in shipping tobacco and pork. He was quite successful in business and contributed largely to the prosperity of the community with whom he traded. Always liberal in his dealings, he has, while prospering himself, promoted the prosperity of others. He was elected sheriff of Boone county in 1857 by the largest majority, perhaps, ever received by a candidate for that office, in this county. He was re-elected in 1859. He was elected clerk of the circuit court in 1867, and re-elected in 1871. In 1876 he was elected county treasurer, and now holds that position. He has given entire satisfaction to the public in all his official relations, and he has performed all his public duties with ability, promptness and integrity. He is a gentleman of benevolent and kindly impulses, a public spirited citizen, a wise counselor and a true friend, and is deservedly popular in the community which has known him long and well. Mr. Samuel was married, September 2, 1847, to Miss Elenora B., daughter of the late Ishmael Vanhorn, of Boone county. They have three daughters, all married. Mr. and Mrs. Samuel are faithful members of the Presbyterian church, and are usefully and actively interested in the general good of society.” (portrait f. p. 946)



“Frederick S. Sappington was born near Sturgeon, Boone county, Missouri, October 4, 1853. His father, Overton Sappington, was a farmer and stock raiser. He was born in St. Louis county, his father having emigrated from Kentucky to Missouri in an early day. The subject of this sketch was one of five children. He was educated at the Sturgeon high school, and followed teaching for several years. He was married, March 1, 1877, to Miss Lucy E., daughter of James M. Angell. She was also a professional teacher, having been educated at Central College, Fayette. They have one child, Mary E. Mr. Sappington settled on the farm where he now lives in 1877. His farm contains 240 acres, well situated and very productive. He is a member of the Centralia Baptist church.”



“The subject of this sketch is the son of Peter and Mary (Bellamer) Schults. He was born May 18, 1828, in Elberfeld, Prussia. Was reared and educated in his native town until 1844, when he entered the University of Bonn, where he remained for five years. He graduated at that institution July 4, 1855. After finishing his course at Bonn he left for America, landing in the city of New York, where he kept books for two years. In 1857 he went to Buffalo, New York, where he enlisted in the United States army and was sent to Utah. He belonged to the regular army for five years. In 1862 he joined the Federal army, and was made adjutant of the Thirtieth Missouri infantry. Was in the battles of Arkansas Post, Vicksburg, Walnut Hill, Ft. Blakely and Port Hudson. Was mustered out in Columbus, Texas, in 1865. In the spring of 1866 he went into the produce and commission business in St. Louis, Missouri, and remained there until he came to Columbia, in 1868. He engaged in farming, one and one-half miles northwest of Columbia, until January, 1875, when he moved to town and entered the circuit clerk’s office, where he has labored ever since. He was married in St. Louis to Emma Solier, daughter of Louis S. Solier, of Switzerland. His father died in Elberfield, Prussia in 1845. His mother died in 1861. Mr. Schults is an excellent clerk. His writing is as plain as print and perfectly uniform. His books will compare with the best in State for neatness and accuracy. He takes great pride in his work and has always given perfect satisfaction.”



“Prof. Schweitzer is a native of Prussia, born in the city of Berlin, March 16, 1840. His father was a respectable citizen of the middle class and renowned as a mathematician. Prof. Schweitzer received his education in the Universities of Berlin and Goettingen, graduating from the latter institution in 1869. In 1864 he came to America and resided for a time in the cities of Philadelphia and New York. He was a teacher in the polytechnic school at Philadelphia, and also taught in the school of mines, Columbia College, New York City. In 1867 he returned to Germany and remained a few months. In 1869 he again visited the fatherland, and it was during this visit that he received his diploma from Goettingen. He returned to New York and resumed his place in the school of mines of Columbia where he was employed until in September 1872, when he accepted the position of professor of analytical and applied chemistry in the University of Missouri this title was afterwards changed to that of professor of chemistry, and this position he now holds. 
“Prof. Schweitzer’s reputation as a chemist is already well established. His preceptors were the celebrated German scientists Mitscherlich, Rose, and Woehler. He is a corresponding member of the New York Academy of Science, a member of the American Chemical Society, and a fellow of the American Association for the advancement of science. He is the author of many important papers on the subjects connected with the science of chemistry. A lecture delivered by him on the subject of petroleum has been published, widely circulated and universally commended, being frequently referred to and quoted from as indisputable authority. The professor belongs to the conservative school of thought, not sharing the views of many German scientists and philosophers. He accepts only what is demonstrated to be true, indulges in but few speculations concerning the improbable, and rejects everything that will not bear analysis. He is wedded to his science and is constantly discovering new beauties and priceless qualities in his mistress. 
“June 22, 1870, Prof. Schweitzer married Miss Sarah Howard, a native of England, but a resident of New York City at the time. They now have two children, Willis and Lizzie. The professor was born and confirmed in the Lutheran church, and has never united with any other religious organization. Mrs. Schweitzer is a Baptist. Prof. S., was naturalized as an American citizen in 1872, and is warmly attached to the institutions of his adopted country. He attends elections, votes to please himself, and is not a partisan in politics, bearing himself in all things ‘with malice toward none, and charity for all.’



“Robert Evans Scott was born in Orange county, New York, November 20, 1809. When he was two years old his parents removed to Monongahela county, Virginia, where he lived with his mother until 1833, his father having died when he was nine years old. Although making his home with his mother, he began work for himself when about sixteen years of age. In 1833 he went to Ligonier, Pennsylvania, where he followed the occupation of a mill-wright. When not engaged in this business he worked at the cabinet maker’s trade. In the spring of 1836 he returned to Virginia, going thence to Elkhart, Indiana, where he worked at the cabinet maker’s trade until 1839, when he came to Missouri. He stopped for a short time at St. Louis, going from there to Palestine, Cooper county, where he remained until 1840. In June of that year he removed to Boone county and settled at Columbia where he and his brother, George W. Scott, followed the trade of mill-wrights. In 1840 they built a grist-mill for Reuben Black on Hinkson creek, one and one-half miles south of Columbia. In 1841 they built a mill for Northcup & McCarty on Perche creek, the site being where the Gillaspy bridge now stands. The same year they built a mill for Hersh & Stapleton on Callaham creek, seven miles west of Columbia, on what is now known as the Gen. Hatton place. In the spring of 1842, Mr. Scott went to Farmington, Van Buren county, Iowa, where he lived two years. While there he built a lock on the Des Moines river, near Farmingtron, for the Plymouth Mill Company. On leaving Iowa he returned to Boone county and resumed farming, working, also, at his trade, until 1849, when he went over land to California. While there he engaged in trading, mining and freighting. He also built a hotel for Col. R.W. Noble and Archie Stephenson, at French Camp, near Stockton. In 1851 he returned home by way of Panama and New Orleans. On arriving in Boone county he purchased the farm on which he now lives, consisting of seven hundred acres, three miles west of Columbia. During the civil war he was arrested and imprisoned at Columbia for about two months on account of his Southern proclivities. He gave bond and was allowed to return to his home. Mr. Scott was married in the winter of 1841 to Miss Ann H. Oldham, of Boone county. Seven children were born of this marriage, six of whom are now living. Warwick M. is a prosperous merchant of Columbia, Missouri. Eugene is a farmer, and lives in Boone county. Adolphus G. is a clerk in a store at Marshall, Missouri; Frank P., Wallace W. and Robert Emmett are still living with their parents. One son, Lawrence, was killed in the Confederate army, near Springfield, Missouri, in 1864.”



“Warwick Martin Scott, son of Robert E. and Anna H. (Oldham) Scott, was born in Boone county, October 8, 1846. A sketch of his family may be found elsewhere in this volume, in connection with the biography of Robert E. Scott. The subject of this sketch was educated at the Missouri State University. He commenced business as a clerk, October 8, 1867, with Moss & Prewitt, dry goods merchants, of Columbia, Missouri. He stayed with this firm for five years then went to Paris, Texas, where he sold dry goods for J.T. Berry, remaining with him for sixteen months. He then returned to Boone county in August, 1874, and went to clerking for Samuel & Strawn. Remained with them until August, 1875, when he became a member of the grocery firm of Scott, Kennan and Ferguson. Was a member of the firm of Strawn, Ferguson & Co., dry goods merchants, for several years, also of Scott, Kennan & Co., groceries, until August 1, 1882. He is now a member of the firm of Scott & Kennan, one of the largest and best equipped mercantile establishments in Central Missouri. Messrs. Scott & Kennan are self-made men, born and raised in Boone county, and from early boyhood thoroughly identified with the business interests of Columbia and the surrounding country. Was married October 8, 1878, to Miss Annie B., daughter of Dr. Alfred and Percilla Patton, of Vincennes, Indiana. They have one son and one daughter, – Annie P. born July 29, 1879, and Robert Alfred, born July 18, 1881. Mr. Scott is a member of the Christian church, also of the Masonic order. Mrs. Scott is a member of the Christian church.” [for more info on company see sketch of George P. Kennan] (portrait on page 950, with George P. Kennan)



“Thomas Calvin Scruggs was born at Sacramento City, California, October 30, 1852. He is the son of John Calvin and Juliet (Sexton) Scruggs. His father was a prominent stock dealer of Sacramento, California. He bought his stock in Missouri and the territories and drove across the plains. He had also invested considerable capital in real estate at Sacramento, and was largely interested in mining. He died at sea, three days out from shore, but was brought to the city of New Orleans for interment. His body was afterwards removed to Independence, Missouri, and deposited in the cemetery. Young Scruggs came with his mother to Kansas City in 1854, where he was educated at the high school, afterwards learning the carpenter's trade under John M. Jackson, a prominent builder of that city, serving an apprenticeship of five years. Before entering upon his apprenticeship, however, he travelled the river for several years as a newsboy. After quitting Mr. Robinson, he visited many parts of the country, working at his trade from time to time to defray expenses. He landed at Columbia in the autumn of 1873, and has remained here ever since, having been actively engaged as a contractor and builder since becoming a citizen of the place. He was married November 13, 1873, to Miss Sallie, daughter of Charles E. and Mary (McDaniel) Sexton. They have one son and one daughter, John C. and Lillie. Mrs. Scruggs is a member of the Methodist church. Mrs. Juliet Strong, the mother of Mr. Scruggs, was first married, May 25, 1848, to John C. Scruggs. She was married to William A. Strong, December 27, 1855, in Kansas City, Missouri. He was born and educated in North Carolina. During the summer previous to his marriage he established the Kansas City ENTERPRISE, now known as the JOURNAL. He had control of this paper for about two years. Mr. Strong afterwards came to Boone county, where he resided for nine years. He returned to Kansas City, where he died in 1869. He was a brilliant writer and an able speaker.” [This also has info on William A. Strong]


p. 729 - ELIAS J. SEARS

“The subject of this sketch is a Missourian by birth, born in Monroe county, September 1, 1833. He is the son of John and Mary (Jacks) Sears, both natives of Kentucky. His mother came to Howard county as early as 1816, and his father came to the same county four years later, placing them among the pioneer families of that section. Elias was reared on a farm in Monroe county and there laid the foundations of an education, which he afterwards completed at the State University at Columbia. After leaving college Mr. Sears engaged in teaching school, following that laudable occupation from 1857 to 1867. In the next succeeding year he went to Sturgeon, this county, and engaged in the dry goods business, in which he continued till 1878, when he moved to Centralia, and there went into the lumber business with his brother. This firm does a leading business in that line, and in 1881 sold 150 car-loads of lumber. Mr. Sears, in 1861, married Miss Mary D. Kennedy, daughter of Jacob and Ann (nee Smith) Kennedy, of Monroe county, Missouri, formerly of Kentucky. Three children have been born of this marriage, only one of whom survives at this writing. Mr. Sears has been a member of the Christian church for over a quarter of a century, and is one of the leading members of that denomination, as well as a citizen of force and integrity. He has amassed what he has by his own persistent efforts, and certainly merits the esteem in which he is held.”



“C. B. Sebastian is the son of Alexander H. and Tabitha A. (Jacobs) Sebastian, and was born at Cloverport, Breckinridge county, Kentucky, March 24,1852. His father moved to Boone county, Missouri, in 1854, and settled on Two-mile prairie, six miles east of Columbia on the St. Charles road, where he lived until his death in 1876. His wife died the same year, and both are buried at the old Cedar Creek Church. They were consistent members of the Methodist Church. Clinton B. was educated at the State University, and graduated in law in the class of 1876, having laid the foundation for his profession of the law in the office of John Overall, now of St. Louis. Since graduating he has practiced his profession in Columbia, building up a reputable and lucrative practice. On the 29th of August, 1882, he received the nomination at the hands of the Democratic party, for the office of prosecuting attorney of Boone, beating the present incumbent, J. DeW. Robinson, five hundred and three votes at the primary election. The county's interests will be safe in the hands of Mr. Sebastian, and criminals may expect vigorous, able prosecution at his hands. He is a young gentleman of sterling integrity, and one whom Boone county delights to honor. He is an exemplary member of the Methodist Church, also a member of the Odd Fellows Lodge at Columbia. He is the State president of the Phi Delta Theta society, a Greek letter college fraternity.”



“Duskin Settles, son of G. Settles, of Virginia, was born in that State, September 15, 1826, and emigrated to Boone county, Missouri, in 1860. Mr. Settles’ opportunities for acquiring an education were very limited. It was scarcely within his power to attain the rudiments of learning. He was married at the age of twenty-six to Miss Mary Shears, daughter of James Shears. Thirteen children have been born to them, nine of whom are alive at this writing. Mr. Settles is a man of excellent judgment, industrious, energetic and faithful in the discharge of every duty, whether of public or private import. For a number of years he managed the Model Farm. He was in charge of the farm when Mr. Harris died. He filled this responsible position to the entire satisfaction of his employer. Mr. Settles owns two hundred and fifty-two acres of land, which he cultivates to the best advantage. He is a member of the Methodist church.”



“The subject of this sketch is the son of George and Sarah Sexton and was born on the old Sexton farm, eight miles northwest of Columbia, February 3, 1819. His father was one of the most active and enterprising citizens of the county, and was widely known throughout this and the western portion of the State, being for twenty-four years the sole contractor for carrying the mails west of St. Louis. This was a large business for one man, but George Sexton was always equal to all his undertakings. He came to Missouri in 1817 and settled on the farm where the subject of this sketch was born two years later. When ten years old Charles was put on a mail route, carrying between way stations on horseback. He carried the first mail-bag ever delivered at the post-office in Rocheport, Missouri. As he grew older he was entrusted with much of his father’s business, and travelled extensively over the various routes between St. Louis and Leavenworth. In 1835, when but sixteen years old, he was married to Miss Elizabeth, daughter of Nicholas Gentry, of Boone county. In 1839 he began to work in his father’s carriage and repairing shops, situated on the old home place. He remained in the shops until 1845, when he engaged in the milling business, which he has followed, with slight intermissions, ever since. In 1850 he engaged in the mule trade with Moses U. Payne, buying in Missouri and selling in the South. He followed this business, in connection with wagon and carriage-making, for ten years. His shops were on Thrall’s Prairie, now known as the Model Farm, a portion of which he owned for fifteen years. In 1860 he resumed saw-milling, which he has followed at various places in Boone county ever since. He settled at Midway in the fall of 1880. He has been twice married. His first wife dying in 1839, he was married, in 1840, to Miss Mary Elizabeth, daughter of Peter McDonald, of Howard county, by whom he has three children: Gesse Green and Millard Payne, of Millersburg, Callaway county, Missouri, and Sallie J., wife of T. C. Scruggs, of Columbia. By the first marriage there were two children, William, of Columbia, and George S., killed in the Confederate army in 1864. From 1840 to 1850, Mr. Sexton was a justice of the peace. Mr. and Mrs. Sexton are members of the Methodist church at Columbia. He has been an active member since 1835, part of the time acting as steward and class-leader. He is a member of Twilight lodge, No. 114, A.F. and A.M. of Columbia.”



“John G. and Rachel Shelnutt, the parents of Lewis, were natives of Georgia. They came to Boone county, Missouri, in 1847. Lewis was born in Georgia, December 12, 1844. He is the second son and sixth child of a family of four boys and three girls, of whom two sons and three daughters are now living. He was reared in Cedar township, and educated at the district schools of the neighborhood and at Columbia. In 1863 he enlisted under Capt. Cook, in Company F, Ninth M.S.M. In February, 1865, he was transferred to Capt. James B. Decker’s company, of same regiment, in which he served until the 13th of July following; took part in several engagements, in one of which he had a horse shot under him. After his discharge he engaged in business at Columbia; in 1868 went to farming, and in 1874 moved to the farm which he now occupies, three miles northwest of Ashland. Mr. Shelnutt was married April 2, 1869, to Miss Susan F., daughter of William Blackburn, of Boone county. They have four sons and three daughters.”



“The subject of this sketch is the son of Morgan and Harriet (Brewster) Sherwood, daughter of Hon. Jonah Brewster, of Pennsylvania, which State he represented in the United States Senate for nine years. The subject of this sketch was born at Wellsboro, Tioga county, Pennsylvania, April 15, 1839, and was educated at Oxford College, New York, where he graduated in 1856. He then went to Fan du Lac, Wisconsin, where he engaged in the mercantile business, remaining there two years, when he went to New Orleans, and for the next two or three years succeeding was first clerk of several river steamers, remaining in this business until the beginning of the war. In 1861 he enlisted in Company A, Second Wisconsin cavalry, and was engaged as secretary to Gen. C. C. Washburne, and subsequently became a member of his staff. He served as aide de camp until 1862, when he resigned in order to accept a position in the revenue department, where he remained for one year. He was next engaged as chief clerk in the United States engineer department, his duties pertaining to fortifications. Remained in this position until 1865, when he resigned to accept the appointment of general passenger agent of the Atlantic and Mississippi Steamship Company, with headquarters at New Orleans. Was with this Company two years. In 1868 was appointed western travelling agent for Grand Trunk railroad in Canada, Vermont Central railroad and Royal Mail line of steamers. Held this position until 1872, when he went to Chicago and was engaged as commercial editor of the Chicago COMMERCIAL ADVERTISER for two years; then went on the road for John H. Catherwood & Co., a tea firm of Philadelphia. Was with this establishment until 1876. Afterwards he removed to Chicago and was engaged to travel for Grannis & Fanwell, wholesale grocers, remaining with this firm some time, when he came to Columbia, Missouri, and opened a millinery store on a larger and more attractive scale than had ever before been seen in the place. He has the largest retail millinery establishment in Missouri. Mr. Sherwood was married, August 1, 1876, to Miss Minnie G., daughter of T. T. and Elizabeth (Wright) Shootman, of Mexico, Missouri. They have one son, John Morgan. Mr. and Mrs. Sherwood are both members of the Christian Church.”



“Is a son of Daniel and Elizabeth (Parsons) Shobe, and was born April 16, 1828, at Loutre Island, Warren county, Missouri. He received a common-school education at the log school house upon the island. His father died September 14, 1845. In 1846 he, in company with his mother, two brothers, and a sister, was crossing the Missouri river at Loutre Island in a skiff, when they ran upon a snag and upset, drowning his mother and his two brothers, Abraham and John D. Caroline V. drifted down the river about three miles and was rescued by a ferryman. Solomon lived upon the old home place in Warren county until 1856, when he started for Boone county in a one-horse wagon, with his wife and a faithful negro woman. He settled upon a piece of land containing one hundred and sixty acres, which he bought the fall previous. In 1867 he purchased another 160-acre tract adjoining, and now his is considered one of the best farms on Two-mile prairie; his improvements are all new and substantial. In 1876 he built a good two-story house, and in 1877 built quite a large barn. He deals mostly in cattle, feeding about fifty head for market every winter. Mr. Shobe was married December 18, 1855, to Miss Susan H., daughter of Larkin Callaway, of Warren county, Missouri. By this union they have four children -- two boys and two girls, Larkin D., George R., Annie B. and Mary V. His wife died January 14, 1881, and is buried at Prairie Grove church. Mr. Shobe is a Mason in good standing.”



“The subject of this sketch was one of the hardy pioneers, of the county, though he was not among the first comers. Mr. Shock, was the son of John and Mary Shock, and was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, October 8, 1800. He came to Howard county, Missouri, in 1820, and to Boone county, in the spring of 1822. He was married August 7, 1823, to Miss Cynthia, daughter of Martin Gibson. Thirteen children, eight boys and five girls, were born of this union, named: John M.; James H.; Hawkins G.; William T.; David H.; George W.; Robert L.; Walter C.; Zerelda A.; Martha E.; Rebecca; Mary C. and Laura A. Mr. Shock settled in 1825 on the farm occupied at this writing by his widow and two sons, David H. and William T. His death occurred March 18, 1880. He was deacon of the Old rocky Fork Baptist church for many years, and raised a large and exemplary family. Only one –- Mary C. -– of these children has died up to this time. All the sons reside in Boone county, but one -– Hawkins -– who lives in Oregon. Mrs. Shock is a member of the church of which her husband was so long deacon, she having been a communicant of that congregation about 44 years.”



“Is a son of David H. Shock, deceased, and was born in this county, November 28, 1827. His education was received in his native county, where he grew up and was married, September 1, 1853, to Miss Susan A., daughter of John H. and Catherine Keith. Four children, two sons and two daughters were born of this marriage, named: Willard C.; Mary C.; Emma P. and James W. His first wife died in 1873, and Mr. Shock was again married to Miss Martha A. Bradley, daughter of James and Zerelda (Gibson) Bradley. By this union they have three boys -- Roy, Guy, and Frank. Mr. Shock has always been a farmer. He owns a good farm of 160 acres on the Columbia and ‘Blackfoot’ gravel road, three miles north of the county seat. Mrs. Shock belongs to the Missionary Baptist church and is a consistent Christian.”



“Samuel Shryock, blacksmith and plow manufacturer, Centralia, Missouri, was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, November 26, 1834. His father, Daniel, was also a blacksmith, and a volunteer in the war of 1812. His grandfather, Frederick, was one of the pioneer settlers of Kentucky, and lived to the advanced age of ninety-four years, sixty years of his life having been spent in Kentucky, and in one house. He was of German parentage. Daniel came to Missouri in 1850 with his family, and settled in Boone county. During the civil war Samuel took sides with the South; he entered the Confederate service August 14, 1861, under Gen. Price, and participated in the battles of Iuka and Corinth, after which he was transferred back to the Missouri Division, commanded by Gen. Parsons. During the remainder of the war he served under Gen. John B. Clark, surrendering at Shreveport, Louisiana, June 6, 1865. He remained on a farm for about a year after returning from the war. Moving to old Greenland, near Harrisburg, he started a blacksmith shop. He remained there six years, going next to Harrisburg, where he lived for five years. In the spring of 1879 he went to Centralia, where he now lives. He is a member of the A.O.U.W. and A.F. and A.M. He is a good workman and a clever citizen.”


p. 608 - ALFRED SIMS

“Alfred Sims, farmer and miller, was born in Madison county, Kentucky, February 4, 1832. He is the son of Abram and Gracie (Robards) Sims, natives of Kentucky, who came to Boone county, Missouri, when the subject of this sketch was but two years old. He was raised on a farm and has followed farming ever since he was old enough to work, except seven or eight years spent in a saw mill. He owns a farm of 260 acres. Was married, March 16, 1855, to Miss Nancy Jane, daughter of J.W. and Polly Barnes. They have six children, names as follows: Abram L., Nancy Elizabeth, John Davis Beauregard, James Anderson, Sidney Daniels, and Polly Thomas. Mr. Sims has been a hard-working man and has accumulated all his property by his own individual exertions, having inherited nothing but a horse and saddle from his father. He has spent his life in Bourbon township, and is well and favorably known in that section.”


p. 608 - THOMAS G. SIMS

“Thomas G. Sims was born near New Castle, Henry county, Kentucky, July 20, 1823. He is the son of Thomas A. and Elizabeth (Morris) Sims, natives of Virginia. The subject of this sketch came to Boone county in 1836, and has resided here ever since. He has devoted his time to farming and bricklaying. Was married, December 17, 1853, to Miss Margaret A., daughter of James M. Hicks. They have eight children living, and one dead. Their names are Thomas A., Jeannette D., James M., Lizzie J., Lenora, Walter B., Flora T., Elmer T., and Betta. The last named is dead. Mr. Sims is a member of the Masonic order, also a member of the orders of United Workmen and Knights of Honor. He is an officer in the two first named lodges. Was imprisoned by the Union authorities during the war on account of his Southern politics. Mr. Sims is a self-educated man, having never attended school but three months in his life. He was appointed a justice of the peace during the war. He is an excellent workman. He superintended the erection of Hardin College and the opera house at Mexico, Missouri, and assisted in building the addition to the Christian College, Columbia. He is a good-natured, jovial man, and is universally esteemed by all who know him. Mrs Sims is a member of the Christian church.”



“John Slack, the father of Alfred, was a native of Pennsylvania. He emigrated to Kentucky in 1810 and to Boone county, Missouri, in 1819. His mother, Mary (Caldwell) Slack, was a native of Kentucky. Alfred was born February 21, 1821. He was the fourth son and fifth child of a family of six sons and two daughters, two sons and one daughter of whom are now living. Gen. William Y. Slack, of the Confederate army, killed at the battle of Pea Ridge, was an elder brother. Alfred was a student at the State University from the opening session of that institution until he completed his studies. After leaving the University, he spent two years in Columbia, clerking in a store. In 1843, the elder Slack having been appointed tobacco inspector by Governor Reynolds, which necessitated his removal to St. Louis, Alfred took charge of his farm and managed it for him during his absence. In the spring of 1850 he crossed the plains to California where he remained for two years devoting his attention to mining. Returning in 1852, he located at Boonville, where he engaged in the mercantile business until 1881, when he came to Boone county, where he now resides. He is living nine miles southeast of Columbia on a farm of 350 acres. He was first married in Cooper county to Miss Nannie O’Brien, who died in 1865. Afterwards he married Miss Mary A. Stark, a native of Boone county, and sister to Newman B. Stark. Has had three children, two daughters and one son, of whom one son and one daughter are living.”



“The deceased gentleman, whose name heads this sketch, was one of the old settlers of Boone county. He was born in the State of Vermont, March 15, 1810. His parents moved with him to New York, when he was quite young, where he lived with them until reaching manhood. In about 1840 he came to Missouri, and located in Columbia, Boone county, where he operated as a mechanic, and assisted in the building of the University. In 1842, he went to Rocheport, and there engaged in the grocery business for, probably, two years. He then sold out, and was for one year engaged in superintending the erection of a tobacco factory for J. A. Hadwin. Next he was associated with a man named Collins in the mercantile business, continuing thus for three years, when Collins retired from the firm. T. M. Smith and Fayette Kirby next came in as partners, and they remained together till 1850, when Mr. Slade sold out to go to California. He spent two years in the gold mines of that State, and on his return was elected justice of the peace, in which capacity he served several years. During the war, he was postmaster at Rocheport till 1863, when he was elected (or appointed) representative in the State legislature. After this, he was again elected justice and also commissioned notary public, which he held to the time of his death, on the 10th of May, 1869. His works go to show that he was a very ingenious and industrious man; and the macadamizing, guttering and crossings made by him in Rocheport are models of artistic skill. In the fall of 1869, his widow, Mrs. S.M. Slade, was appointed postmistress to succeed her husband, which position she still holds, transacting the business connected therewith by the aid of her son, William, who is her deputy. Mrs. Slade received her appointment from Gen. U. S. Grant, then President.”



“Boone county has been blessed by nature with almost every variety of soil from the richest and most sightly to the roughest and most romantic. Rich pasture land is not the rule, but there are many thousands of acres of blue grass not excelled on the continent. The subject of this sketch owns over 300 acres of grass land situated in one of the richest and most beautiful sections of country west of the Mississippi. That this is no exaggeration, one need but visit the farms in this section to be convinced. Mr. Smith is a practical farmer and delights in his avocation as much as it is possible for a man to delight in his business. 
He is the youngest son of Capt. William Smith, one of the earliest settlers of Boone county, a man of superior intelligence and sterling worth. He came to Boone county a poor man, but by industry, prudence and energy accumulated a fortune, bequeathing to his sons not only a handsome legacy but a thorough education. Capt. William Smith was a native of Madison county, Kentucky. He was born in 1794, and emigrated to Boone county in 1819. He was of Irish extraction and possessed many of the characteristics of that race. He was jovial and witty, and loved a joke for its own sake. Possessing a fair education and excellent judgment, his services were urgently sought for in public life, but with the single exception of representing his county once in the legislature, he steadfastly refused all offers of promotion. His colleagues in the legislature were Dr. Matt. Arnold and William Rowland. Claib. Jackson and Sterling Price were also members of the same general assembly. The latter was speaker of the house. Captain Smith resided on a farm five miles west of Columbia from 1819 to 1862, removing in that year to the farm now occupied by his son Fielding W. Smith. Here he died in 1875, at the age of 81. He was a man of sterling worth, moral, upright and dignified, commanding the esteem of all who knew him. 
Fielding W. Smith was born April 17, 1846. He was educated at the Missouri State University. He was married in 1867 to Miss Mattie A. McKinney, of Boone county, daughter of John C. McKinney. Their union has been blessed by four sons. Their model home is noted far and wide for generous hospitality dispensed by Mr. and Mrs. Smith to all who pass the portals of their happy, well-ordered home. Mr. Smith makes a specialty of breeding thoroughbred stock, especially Cotswold sheep and Hereford cattle. He owns the only herd of Hereford cattle in the county, and the second herd in the State. His fine bull, “Dictator,” number 1989, weighs 2,000 pounds. He took the sweepstake premium at St. Louis in 1881; first premium at Kansas City in 1881, and the first prize at the Western National Fair at Lawrence, Kansas. Of this stock he has six females and two males. Three of his cows are imported from England. His herd is managed by W. J. Downing, an Englishman, from Hereford. He knows the name of every Hereford breeder in England and America and can tell the pedigree of every animal of the Hereford stock. Mr. Smith owns 900 acres of land, one-third of which is in blue grass. His farm is known as “Greenwood.” He is well supplied with all sorts of machinery, in fact there seems to be nothing wanting that heart could wish for. Mr. Smith is a member of the Baptist church at Walnut Grove. He is in the prime and vigor of young manhood, with, evidently, a bright future before him.”



“Francis Marion Smith is the son of William Smith, a native of Mercer county, Kentucky. He came to St. Louis at an early day and to Boone county in 1818 with Peter Ellis, whose daughter he married. He settled on a farm in the vicinity of Ashland, which he finally improved. Upon this farm the subject of this sketch was born February 18, 1840. Was raised on the farm and educated in the common schools of the neighborhood. Has had charge of the farm upon which he now lives since 1864. Has always followed the occupation of a farmer and a dealer in stock, principally cattle and mules. Mr. Smith was married in Audrain county, September 14, 1864, to Miss Hattie J. Pearson, daughter of Richmond Pearson. They have two sons. Smirt M. has been a justice of the peace since 1880. He is a member of Dry Fork Baptist church; also of the Ancient Order United Workmen.”


p. 679 - HIRAM SMITH

"The subject of this sketch is the son of William and Nancy (Ellis) Smith. He is entitled to the distinction of being the first white child born in Boone county of parents who were married in this county. He was born on the old Peter Ellis farm, August 18, 1819. He is the eldest of a family of seven boys and three girls. Remained with his parents until 1845, when he removed to the farm upon which he now resides, consisting of 300 acres, adjoining the old homestead. Was married December 19, 1844, to Miss Mary A. Hubbard, a native of Boone county, and daughter of Daniel Hubbard, one of the early pioneers. By this marriage they have had four sons and two daughters, of whom three sons are now living. Mr. Smith is a member of the New Salem Baptist church. He is largely interested in stock raising and has some choice high-grade cattle. His farm is finely improved. His three sons are all married. David H. is a merchant at Mexico, Missouri; Dr. William R. is located at Carrington Station, Callaway county, and Thomas B. is a farmer and resides in this county."


p. 680 - JOHN E. SMITH

“John Ellis Smith is the son of William and Nancy (Ellis) Smith, who were among the first settlers of Boone county. The subject of this sketch was born on the old Smith farm, in Boone county, October 15, 1830. He was the fifth son and sixth child of a family of seven sons and three daughters. He was reared on the farm and educated at the common schools of the neighborhood. He lived on the home place until 1859, when he bought the farm, where he now lives, which contains 320 acres and is situated six miles northeast of Ashland. He is largely interested in agriculture and is an extensive dealer in stock. He was married in Callaway county, October 9, 1856, to Miss Mary J. Boyd, daughter of Thomas Boyd, now a citizen of Benton county, Missouri. He had four sons, three of whom are living. Mr. Smith is a member of the Methodist church.”



“Peter Ellis Smith was one among the oldest native born citizens of Boone county. His father, William Smith, came to Boone county in 1818. He married Nancy, eldest daughter of Peter Ellis, Sr., the progenitor of the Ellis family of Boone county. The subject of this sketch was born March 28, 1821. He was the second son and second child of a family of seven sons and three daughters, five of whom are now living, all but one in Boone county. When five or six years old, his father moved to the farm now occupied by F. M. Smith. He remained on this farm until his marriage, February 26, 1846. His first wife was Miss Nancy Moseley, daughter of William Moseley, of Boone county. Mr. Smith had a fine farm of 500 acres, situated seven miles northeast of Ashland and twelve miles southeast of Columbia. He was a successful breeder of thoroughbred cattle. Was a member of the Methodist church. Had four children, two sons and two daughters, of whom only one daughter is now living. The first wife having died in 1872, he was again married, July 26, 1874, to Mrs. Lorinda J. Wheeler, daughter of John Crobarger, of St. Louis.”



“Few business men have occupied so prominent a position before the people of Boone county as the subject of this sketch, and none, perhaps, have a firmer hold upon the confidence of the public. He is the son of William and Elizabeth (Cress) Smith, originally of Millersburg, Bourbon county, Kentucky, where he was born May 17, 182l. He came with his parents to Callaway county, Missouri, in the spring of 1826, and settled near Millersburg. They resided in Callaway county until the fall of 1844, when they came to Boone and settled three miles north of Columbia, at what was known as Hannah's Mill, on Hinkson creek, where they remained until 1848, when Mr. Smith went to Santa Fe, taking with him a saw-mill, the first ever erected in that country. He remained there until 1850, when he came back to Boone county and located two miles south of Columbia, taking charge of the Reuben Black grist and saw mill, which he changed from a water-power to steam. He remained with this mill until 1855, when he went to the John Keene farm, three miles east of Columbia, on the Mexico road, where he built a steam mill which he operated until 1862, when he came to Columbia and bought the mill then under construction, paying the proprietor, Gaines C. Raney, $10,000 for the property, which he completed, adding from time to time such new machinery as the increase of business demanded. He sold the property in 1871 for $18,000, to Conley, Anderson & Guitar. The mill is now valued at $60,000. In the fall of 1871 Mr. Smith went to Rocheport, Missouri, and bought the old Stailey mill, which was blown up a few months later, killing A. J. Norris, the engineer, and badly injuring a man named Roberts. He at once rebuilt the mill, putting in new machinery and sparing no expense in his efforts to repair the loss. In less than a year the new mill was in ashes. The cause of the fire was never known. Mr. Smith was, for the time being, financially ruined. He came to Columbia without a cent. The people, appreciating his active, earnest labors in the past, and feeling a generous sympathy for his losses, elected him collector of Boone county, which position he held for two years, at the same time conducting a livery stable and stock business at Columbia, which he continued to follow for four years after his term of office expired. He then bought a third interest in the Columbia mills, for which he paid $9,000. He remained with this firm for one year and a half, when he sold his interest to Anderson, Hubbard & Co. He now turned his entire attention to trading in stock and real estate, which he followed until April, 1882, when he became one of the proprietors of the Farmer's mill, Columbia, Missouri, saw and grist combined, situated in the northwestern part of town. Mr. Smith was married, May 25, 1843, to Martha A., daughter of Thomas and Patsey McCutchen. Mrs. Smith died in less than one year after their marriage. She was buried in the old Hinkson Creek church-yard. He was married to his second wife, Caroline, daughter of John and Mary (Williams) Cave, of Scott county, Kentucky, July 17, 1850. By this marriage they had two sons and one daughter, Andrew F., Thomas C. and Mary E., all of whom are dead. They were buried at the Columbia cemetery. Mr. Smith is still in vigorous health, and is as active and enterprising as when he first commenced his business career, years ago. In addition to the mill already mentioned, Mr. Smith owns a nice residence in Columbia, and a half interest in a farm of four hundred and forty-four acres, one-half mile north of Stephens' Store, Callaway county, Missouri. It is hardly proper to close this biographical sketch without making brief mention of the parents of Mr. R. H. Smith. His father, William Smith, was born September 11, 1787, and died July 17, 1860, at the age of seventy-two. He is buried in the Bonne Femme church-yard. His wife, Elizabeth, was born May 25, 1793, and is still living, having reached her ninetieth year. She is living with her son, G. W. Smith, in Callaway county. William Smith, brother of Robert, has six living children, five sons and one daughter. One son, William H., was killed in the Confederate army. Mr. and Mrs. Robert Smith are members of the Baptist Church, and have been since 1850. He is also a member of the Masonic Order.”


p. 1098 – SOLON E. SMITH

“David Smith, the father of Solon E. Smith, was born in Madison county, Kentucky, in 1806, and came to Missouri in 1824, settling permanently in Cooper county. He was afterwards a soldier in the Blackhawk war, rendering substantial service in that campaign. He has succeeded well as a farmer and his old age (he is still living) has been crowned with quiet ease and contentment. He is a worthy and consistent member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and a democrat in politics. David Smith is a brother of the late Capt. William Smith, of Boone county. He is the father of ten children, six sons and four daughters, all of whom are now living. Solon E., was born in Cooper county, Missouri, November 27, 1846, and came to Boone county in 1880. He purchased the “Rollins farm” from R. L. Baker, consisting of 459 acres, situated in the blue grass region and splendidly adapted to stock raising. The farm is elegantly improved. The situation is most beautiful. The lawn extending south from the mansion nearly three hundred yards is set in grass and ornamented with all kinds of evergreens and native forest trees. The place was improved by the late John Rollins, son of Dr. Rollins and brother of Maj. James S. Rollins. It is part of the old Rollins homestead. The view from the mansion is distant and very impressive to all lovers of the sublime and beautiful in nature. Mr. Smith is a bachelor. He has travelled a great deal, and being well posted on all the leading topics of the day, is a most entertaining companion. He is largely engaged in the stock business and deeply interested in his experiment, commenced in 1882, of breeding the Hereford cattle with the short horns.”



"William Smith was the son of George W. Smith, of Kentucky . He was born on his father's farm, in Mercer county, Kentucky, April 24, 1797. He was the oldest of three sons and four daughters. Of these one son and three daughters are now living: Washington in Arkansas, Mrs. Shoults in Boone county, Mrs. Piatt in St. Louis county, Mrs. Graves in Texas. William came with his father to St. Louis county, Missouri, in 1816, where the elder Smith lived until his death. In 1818 William came to Boone county in company with Peter Ellis, Sr., whose eldest daughter he married October 29, 1818. This was the first marriage ever celebrated within the bounds of what now constitutes Boone county, then part of Howard county. Ten children were born of this marriage, seven sons and three daughters. They lived to see all their children grown, married and settled, most of them within a few miles of the old home. After his marriage Mr. Smith moved to Callaway county, where he remained seven years. In 1827 he returned to Boone county and settled on the land now owned and occupied by his son F.W. Smith. In 1842 he built a large brick dwelling in which he lived and died, his death occurring May 24, 1872. Mrs. Smith died May 1, 1876. Mr. Smith was a zealous member of the Methodist church. For twenty-five years his large mansion was used as a place for holding religious services. He was an enterprising, thrify, public-spirited citizen, doing all in his power to promote every enterprise that was calculated to benefit his people. He was an active, zealous worker in the cause of education and gave liberal support to every scheme looking to a higher and better system of public education. He subscribed largely to the State University and lived to see and realize the fruits of his generosity. Although his life was spent in retirement, he left a name and reputation that will ever survive him. He was a good man and a useful citizen." (William Smith portrait f613)



“The subject of this sketch is the son of Benjamin F. and Polly A. (nee Wilson) Smith, and was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, September 6, 1835. He lived in Kentucky until he was twenty-two years old, when he removed to Boone county, Missouri, in 1857. He landed at Providence on the Missouri river, April 16, and remained in that vicinity for two years, when he moved north of Columbia, near Middleton, ten miles south of Sturgeon, where he remained for eight years. Leaving that neighborhood, he removed to a place six miles northwest of Columbia, where he remained for thirteen or fourteen years. His next move was to Sturgeon. His occupation, up to this time, had been farming, shipping of stock and trading. Coming to Sturgeon, he bought the Commercial hotel, opening house October 15, 1880. Mr. Smith was educated in Kentucky, partly at common schools and partly by private tutors. He took no part in the war. He was never married. Is a member of the Christian church, but belongs to none of the lodges. He never held an office and has no political aspirations whatever. His paternal grandfather was a native of Virginia, but one among the first to emigrate to Kentucky. He was a surveyor. He settled where Mt. Sterling now stands, but before there was a white settler within sixty miles of his place. At one time he donated one hundred acres of land to a preacher as an inducement to the minister to settle in his locality and preach for the settlement. He had previously located one thousand acres for himself, for in those days, according to a special law of Virginia, the surveyor was ‘monarch of all he surveyed’ -- almost. Kentucky was then a portion of the Old Dominion, and to induce surveyors to go to the wilderness and run off the lands, large grants were allowed them, with the privilege of locating their lands wherever they liked best. This law induced a large number of young men to learn surveying, and a practical knowledge of the art enabled many of them to lay the foundation of a princely fortune in the wilds of Kentucky.”


p. 1057 – WARREN A. SMITH

“Warren A. Smith was born in Boone county, Missouri, June 8, 1837. He is a son of the late Capt. Wm. Smith, a sketch of whose life may be found in the biography of his youngest son, Fielding W. Smith. Capt. Smith was the father of nine children, five of whom are now living. The eldest son is in business in San Francisco, California; William, the next youngest, lives in St. Louis. Oliver lives in Mexico, Missouri. He is the son-in-law of Elder James Barnes, whose biography may be found in this volume. Two sons, Fielding W., and the subject of this sketch, are citizens of Boone county. Warren A. Smith has spent most of his life on the farm. During the late war he was engaged in the mercantile business at Quincy, Illinois. Subsequent to this, from 1855 to 1859, he was engaged in the same business at Columbia, Missouri. He was married in 1863 to Miss Mary McKinney, daughter of John C. McKinney. They have three children. Mr. Smith purchased a portion of the “Model Farm” in 1882, and has made many improvements since getting possession of his new home. His farm contains about one thousand acres. In his home place – the “Model Farm” – he has about three hundred and forty acres. A large portion of his land is in grass. He makes a specialty of short-horn cattle. Mr. Smith is a man of excellent taste and culture and delights in the beautiful as well as the useful. He is surrounded with almost every comfort a man could wish for. He is a farmer from choice, and takes the greatest pleasure in all that pertains to his chosen avocation. He is a member of the Methodist church at Everett, and contributes liberally to the support of the Gospel.”


p. 730 - ACHILLES F. SNEED, M.D.

“Is the son of Landon C. and Elizabeth (Gibson) Sneed, both of whom were natives of Franklin county, Kentucky, where the subject of this sketch was also born, December 20, 1827. In his boyhood days, Dr. Sneed lived on a farm, and of course the first work he ever did was of an agricultural nature. He grew up in his native county, receiving the elementary part of his education in the subscription schools of that period. In 1851 he began the study of medicine, and the same year entered Louisville University, from which institution he graduated in 1853. The following fall he moved to Boone county, Missouri, and located eight miles south of Centralia, where he began the practice of his profession. He continued in that neighborhood till 1860, when he went to Centralia, being the first regular physician to locate at that place. Himself and brother are the only citizens now living in the town who were there when he moved there. Dr. Sneed has always enjoyed a lucrative practice in his profession, and, better still, has always gained and retained the esteem and confidence of the people. He has been a Free Mason for nearly a quarter of a century and a member of the Baptist church since 1854. In the last named year he was married to Miss L. Blanton, daughter of Rev. William Blanton, of Franklin county, Kentucky. Eight children have been born of this union, four of whom still survive: Elizabeth, wife of Dr. Wallace, of Centralia; Henry Landon; Lewis W.; and Cora V. Dr. Sneed still continues to do a fine practice and is one of the leading citizens of Centralia.”



“Samuel B. Spence, son of Andrew and Rebecca (Lemon) Spence, was born in Scott county, Kentucky, May 22, 1819; he came to Boone county in the fall of 1824 with his father, and wintered in Columbia, in a small log house on the ground now occupied by J.P. Horner’s lumber yard. The spring following his father moved to Jefferson Garth’s farm, close to Columbia, and stayed there one year; he then bought a farm three and a half miles north of Columbia, on the old Paris road. The subject of this sketch was educated at the common schools of the neighborhood, his principal instructor being Joseph Carpenter. He was married November 2, 1852, to Miss Margaret E., daughter of William and Elizabeth (Johnson) Ritchey. By this marriage they had four children -- three sons and one daughter: Andrew R., born August 15, 1855; Robert S., born October 4, 1858; James A., born November 10, 1860; Mary C., born March 19, 1864. His first wife having died September 13, 1867, he was again married, January 13, 1871. The second wife was Ann M., daughter of Marcus P. and Sarah G. (Smith) Wills, formerly of Kentucky. Mr. Wills was one of the first pastors of ‘Old Bear Creek church.’ Mr. Spence bought the old Samuel Crockett farm, eight miles northeast of Columbia, on the old Crockett road. This place was somewhat noted in the early history of the county as being the great camp-meeting ground. The place was then called Mount Moriah. The farm contains 240 acres of very good land, well watered and timbered and nicely improved. In early life Mr. Spence worked at the tanner’s trade with his father, on the old home place, three and one-half miles north of Columbia. From 1848 to 1850 Mr. Spence was extensively engaged in the mule trade, buying in Missouri and selling in the Louisiana and Texas markets. In 1864, having previously bought his father’s old farm, three and one-half miles north of Columbia, he removed to that place, remaining there about seven years. Not liking the change, he came back to his former home on the Crockett road, eight miles northeast of Columbia, where he now lives. In January, 1853, he had the misfortune to break his leg, and was a cripple for about a year, being unable to get about. Andrew Spence, father of Samuel B., was born in 1790. He married Rebecca Lemon, of Scott county, Kentucky, sister of Robert Lemon, of Boone county. They had eight children - - six sons and two daughters: John L. (deceased); Mary A.; Margaret E.; Robert M. (deceased), William R.; Joseph A.; James F.; and Alexander P. Andrew Spence is buried on the old farm settled by him. Mrs. Spence is buried by the side of her husband. Mr. Spence owned and operated one among the first tanyards ever established in this county. Samuel B. Spence and all his family are members of the Christian church; he is also a member of the Patrons of Husbandry. He is a useful citizen and a clever neighbor, honored and esteemed by all who know him."



“Is the son of Perry and Eliza Jane (Wiseman) Spencer; was born on the farm where he now lives on the 5th day of February, 1835. His father was born in Talbot county, Maryland, and was engaged in business in Baltimore for several years. Financial reverses overtook him and he came West and engaged in farming, which he continued until his death in 1862. His son Gilpin is living upon the old home place, attending strictly to business, handling stock and raising grain, of which wheat is his specialty. He was married, December 10, 1862, to Miss Sarah C. Hubbard, daughter of George and Patsy Hill (Gibbs) Hubbard. They have three children living and one dead, Albert B., Sallie Carrie (deceased), George Perry and Susannah. Himself, wife and oldest son are members of the Methodist church at Burlington, which church he was instrumental in building and is now one of the leading members. His is a fine farm, containing over six hundred acres of choice land.”



“Zephaniah Spiers is the son of Samuel and Nancy (Logan) Spiers, and was born May 8, 1822, in Fayette county, Kentucky. His father was a native of Maryland, and died in Boone county, August 9, 1843. His mother died November 20, 1859. They are buried in the family burying ground, upon the old homestead. They were both members of the Christian church. Zephaniah was educated in Kentucky and in Boone county, Missouri, in the country schools. He came to Boone in 1830 with his father, who bought the place upon which his son is now living. It is ten miles east of Columbia, on ‘Spiers’ road’ The farm contains 260 acres of good land. He went to California in 1850, and returned in the fall of 1851, believing that there is no place like Missouri. While in California he worked in the gold-diggings, but his heart turned back to the land of peace and plenty. He moved to Audrain county in 1856, but returned to Boone and bought the old homestead settled by his father in 1830, and is now living upon it. He was married August 1, 1849, to Miss Lucy A., daughter of Colonel Walker and Lucinda (Walden) Allen. They have had five children –- three boys and two girls: Z.M. (deceased); Maud A. (deceased); Lucinda N. (deceased; Samuel W. (deceased); and William H., now living at home with his father. Mr. Speirs is the first of a family of eight children, but two of whom are now living –- Zerelda and our subject. Mrs. Spiers died July 30, 1866, and is buried in Callaway county, Missouri. She was a member of the Christian church. Mr. Spiers is also a member of the same denomination. He was captured during the war, taken to Mexico, Missouri, and thence to St. Louis, from there to Alton, Illinois. He was in prison at the latter place about six months. He is regarded as one of the best citizens of Boone county –- a warm-hearted, hospitable gentleman.”


p. 791 - N. P. STARK

“Newman Payton Stark was born in Boone county, Missouri, April 28, 1841. His parents, Newman B. and Percilla Thornton Stark, were natives of the ‘Old Dominion,’ emigrating from Stafford county, Virginia, to Boone county in the fall of 1828. Newman Stark, Jr., was born and raised on the farm now owned by Wm. McDonald, nine miles southeast of Columbia. He was partly educated at the common schools, finishing his studies at the State University. He is a practical farmer and deals largely in live stock. Few men have been more successful in this line of business than Newman Stark. He pays liberal prices and is fair in his dealings. Such business men are needed in every farming and stock raising community. By furnishing his neighbors with a home market for their surplus stock, Mr. Stark has been of much service to the community in which he lives. He owns 840 acres of land which is well adapted to the business he is engaged in and it is utilized to the best advantage.”



“The subject of this sketch is the son of John L. and Mary (Sams) Stephens, and was born August 5, 1828, in Garrard county, Kentucky. His father and mother were married in Virginia, in 1806, and emigrated to Kentucky some years after. In 1838 they again turned their faces to the Great West, and settled in Boone county, Missouri, and in 1839, they removed to the place upon which Alexander F. now lives, just one mile south of the place they first settled. John L. died February 3, 1863, at the age of 83, and his wife died August 2, 1877. They are buried at Cedar Church, Callaway county, Missouri. They had eleven children, seven boys and four girls. Rice, Elizabeth, James, Nancy, Sarah W., Eliza G., John L., Wm. P., Lucy A., Alexander F. and James H., only three of whom are now living; Eliza G., is living in Jasper County, Missouri, James H., at Centralia, this county, and our subject, Alexander. Mr. Stephens was educated at Boonesboro, and at Cedar Hill Academy. In 1849 he went to California, and returned to Boone county in 1851. He has a fine farm of four hundred and eleven acres. Cedar creek forms his eastern boundary line, being also the county line between Boone and Callaway counties. In 1862 Mr. Stephens had twenty-five acres of corn which made twenty-four barrels per acre. Mr. Stephens relates that when he was thirteen or fourteen years of age he saw his father have twenty-six half dollars in silver. He asked his father to let him have them, saying, after his father had placed the money in his hands, ‘If this was mine I would never need any more money as long as I live.’ To him it seemed a fortune. His ideas of wealth have changed very materially since then, forty years ago, for he now pays taxes to the amount of one hundred and ninety dollars each year. Mr. Stephens lives just nine miles due east of Columbia.”



“Edwin W. Stephens, editor and proprietor of the COLUMBIA HERALD, was born in Columbia, Missouri, January 21, 1849. He is the only son of Hon. James L. and Amelia (Hockaday) Stephens. A sketch of his father’s life may be found elsewhere in this volume. Mr. Stephens, the subject of this biography, was reared and educated in Columbia, graduating at the State University in 1867. Soon after completing his studies at the University, he entered Jones’ Commercial College, St. Louis, Missouri, where he completed his collegiate course, adding to his literary attainments a thorough business education. Returning to Columbia he entered the newspaper business, purchasing in 1870, a half interest in the BOONE COUNTY JOURNAL. In 1871, the year following, he changed the name of the paper to the Columbia Herald, which name the paper has borne ever since. In 1872, he became sole proprietor of the HERALD, which he enlarged and greatly improved, making it one of the largest and most popular country newspapers in the State. Mr. Stephens was married September 26, 1871, to Miss Laura Moss, daughter of Col. James H. Moss, of Columbia, and grand-daughter of Judge Warren Woodson. Mr. Stephens has been a curator of the State University, and is at present a curator of Stephens College. He is an official member of the Baptist Church. Although young in years, comparatively speaking, few men in the State have accomplished more in the same length of time. The HERALD, which he has mainly built up, affords splendid evidence of his energy, ability and good management. To say that it is one of the most powerful and influential institutions in Boone county is no flattery of Mr. Stephens, whose labors to that end are not only known but appreciated by his numerous patrons. Devoted to his profession, earnest in his efforts to promote the welfare of the people of Boone county, consistent and true to his principles, he has earned and received the active support of the people regardless of politics or opinion. With a bright future before him and a past history of which he may well feel proud, he can rest assured of the kind support of a generous and appreciative public.”



“James L. Stephens was born in Girard [sic] county, Kentucky, November 17, 1815, and removed with his father (Elijah Stephens) in the fall of 1819, from Kentucky to Boone county, Missouri. After remaining on the farm with his father, and receiving such an education as the schools of the country at that day afforded, he, in the spring of 1836, entered the dry goods store of Parker & Barr, of Columbia, as clerk, and has continually resided in Columbia ever since, except one year in New York City; two years in Greensburg, Indiana, and one year each in Mexico and Fulton, Missouri. In 1843 he engaged in a large business on his own account, conducting three dry goods stores in three county seats, one in Mexico, one in Fulton, and one in Columbia. He inaugurated the first successful cash system in business in Central Missouri; and while largely engaged in merchandising, he also conducted a model farm, and for more than twenty years, bought and sold annually from 300 to 500 head of mules. Few, if any, individuals have ever transacted more business in Boone county, and none in his section have more generously contributed in means or labor to build up and establish public improvements, scarcely a public enterprise of his town or county for the past twenty years failing to receive his cordial and hearty cooperation; and at least one-half of all he has earned through an extended and successful business career, has been given to aid in building roads, churches, schools, etc. He not only endowed Stephens College with $20,000, but advanced $6,000 besides to relieve the institution of a mortgage that had been placed on it under its former organization, and to aid in erecting its buildings. At one time, he undertook the work of raising $50,000 endowment for it, and succeeded in securing pledges for half that sum, which failed, however, in consequence of the entire sum not being subscribed at the time the school was changed from a local institution to one which received a patronage throughout the State. At another time he raised on a general subscription from citizens of Boone county $7,000 or $8,000 towards enlarging and improving the college property, which, with other kind offices in the interest of the institution, caused the General Baptist Association (whose property it is), at its session in St. Louis in the fall of 1870, to confer his name upon it. In 1860, Mr. Stephens was the regular nominee of the Democratic party for State Senator and made the race to the satisfaction of his friends against ex-Gov. Chas. Hardin, receiving the full strength of the party, which was then a decided minority, causing his defeat by some 500 votes. Twenty years after, in 1880, he was again nominated by the Democrats of the Ninth senatorial district, composed of the counties of Audrain, Boone and Callaway, and elected by an overwhelming majority against the combined ticket of Republicans and Greenbackers. Mr. Stephens not only circulated the petition which obtained the largest number of names in aid of the railroad and the rock roads, which are of such incalculable value to Boone county, but his was the largest individual subscription in aid of those enterprises, -- amounting to $2,600. At the same time he was one of the heaviest taxpayers in the county.”



“The son of Thomas and Nancy (Ingles) Sterne, was born in Harrison county, Kentucky, May 2d, 1828. His father was a native of Virginia, and his mother of Kentucky. His mother’s parents were Joseph and Mary (Bryant) Ingles. His grandmother on his mother’s side was a niece of Daniel Boone. He was married October 28, 1852, to Miss Emma Coleman, daughter of Whitehead and Elizabeth (Powell) Coleman. By this union they have had seven children, six of whom are living, Thomas W., James G., Frank, Mary B., Dixie, Kate and Lizzie, deceased. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and his wife is a member of the Missionary Baptist church. He has been engaged in farming pretty much all his life, and is a good citizen and clever gentleman.”



“Mr. Sterne is the son of Joseph and Emma (Coleman) Sterne, and was born in Harrison county, Kentucky, January 20, 1854. His father moved from Kentucky to Boone county, Missouri when Thomas was about three years old, where the young man was reared. He was married, October 9, 1881, to Miss Annie L. Wright, a daughter of Hale T. Wright. Mr. Sterne has a good common school education and is regarded as one of the most worth young men of his section. He is a member of the Masonic lodge at Ashland and his wife is a member of the Baptist church.”


“Was born in Clark county, Kentucky, January 30, 1926. His parents, Isaac and Lucinda Stevinson, were natives of the same (Clark) county, and moved to Boone county, this State, in 1858, settling in Rocky Fork township, where the father died, and the mother still resides at the advanced age of eighty-seven years. Samuel was reared on a farm, receiving his education in the common schools of the country. He was married in Montgomery county, Kentucky, June 19, 1849, to Miss Edith Britton, daughter of David and Rebecca Britton, and moved to Missouri in 1852, locating on the farm on which he still resides in Rocky Fork. Here his chief vocation has been that of farming and stock raising. Mr. and Mrs. Stevinson are the parents of thirteen children - ten boys and three girls - of whom eight sons and two daughters are still living, one son married and farming in California, and two sons in business at Seligman, near Eureka Springs. Both parents and three of the children are members of the Christian church. Mr. S. was baptized about thirty years ago by Samuel Rogers, and received into the church by him. Mrs. S. has been a member about the same length of time, "Raccoon" John Smith, of Kentucky, administering baptism in her case. These people have lived thirty years on their farm, and there reared their large family. Mr. S. was not in the civil war, but gave his attention to farming, in which he has been successful as a raiser of grain and other produce, besides horses, mules, sheep, etc., those staples which mark the successful producer in this latitude.”



“Benjamin F. Stewart is the son of Charles and Elizabeth (Lincoln) Stewart. He was born in the State of Ohio, November 10, 1845, and came to Boone county, Missouri in the autumn of 1855. He grew to manhood and was principally educated in this county. He was married, March 26, 1868, to Miss Sarah M., daughter of William and Martha (Williams) Milhollin. They have five children, three sons and two daughters: Charles W., Thomas B., Mary A., James A. and Linda L. Mr. Stewart learned the carpenter’s trade with Ruckel & McAlister in 1866. Worked at his trade in Columbia until 1875 when he went to St. Louis, Missouri, where he stayed for one year. Came back to Boone county and worked two years in partnership with his brother, J. L. Stewart, in the saw-milling business at Ashland. In 1879, he went to Idaho Springs, Colorado, but did not remain long. Came back to Ashland and commenced contracting and building, remaining there until the summer of 1881 when he returned to Columbia and entered in partnership with Alonzo Duncan as contractors and builders. In 1864 he enlisted as a private in the Federal army, joining Company A, Second Missouri cavalry, under Col. Lewis A. Merrill. Was in the army thirteen months. He is a member of the K. of P. and the Odd Fellow orders. Charles Stewart, the father of Benjamin was born in Pennsylvania in 1819 and moved to Ohio about the year 1842, and from there to Pike county, Missouri, in 1850. He returned to Ohio soon after, and finally came to Boone county, Missouri, where he died in 1871. Mrs. Stewart is still living at the age of sixty-three years. They had eleven children, six sons and five daughters. Eight of the children are now living. Mr. Stewart is a superior workman, and, as a contractor and builder, has won the confidence and patronage of the public. He has all the work he can do and of the better class of carpenter’s work.”



“The subject of this sketch is the son of Samuel and Emeline (Holman) Stewart. He was born in Lawrence county, Ohio, October 18, 1844, and came to Pike county, Missouri, in 1850, and to Boone county in 1854, where he was principally educated at the public schools. In April, 1863, he enlisted in the Federal army, joining Company B, Ninth regiment Missouri militia, under Gen. Guitar. His company was commanded by Capt. Adams. August 4, 1864, he reenlisted in the Thirteenth cavalry, Missouri volunteers, for three years; but was mustered out January 3, 1866. While a soldier he participated in the battles of Price’s raid. His command met Price at Pilot Knob and pursued him to Fort Scott, where the subject of this sketch was placed in charge of Confederate prisoners. Next went to Waynesville, Missouri, and from there to Colorado, where the Indians had been giving trouble. Returned to Fort Leavenworth and were ordered thence to St. Louis where they were mustered out of service. Mr. Stewart came home and learned the carpenter’s trade, serving an apprenticeship of three years under Runkle & McAlister. After finishing his trade, he went to work as a builder and contractor with Tansey & Matheney, who built the Methodist church and the brewery buildings. Was with this firm for about one year, then formed a partnership with George McDaniel. They worked together for three years. From 1873 to 1877 he was alone in the business. He next formed a partnership with John Crist, under the firm name of Stewart & Crist. They now employ six or eight hands and do a large per cent. of the contracting and building in Columbia and surrounding country. Mr. Stewart was married December, 29, 1868, to Miss Martha Jane, daughter of Miles Baldridge. Two children were born of this marriage, James E. and Mary L. The first wife died October 10, 1872, and is buried at New Hope church, Audrain county, Missouri. July 30, 1874, he was married to his second wife, Miss Mattie F., daughter of John A. Reed. By this marriage they had three children: Lawrence F. (deceased), Eva and Onie. Mr. and Mrs. Stewart are members of the Methodist church. He is a member of the order of Knights of Pythias. Mr. Stewart’s father was a native of Pennsylvania, and died in Boone county, Missouri, January 19, 1877, aged fifty-five. He is buried on the old home place. His mother is living on the old homestead, five miles west of Columbia, on the Rocheport gravel road. There were eleven children in the family, James F. being the oldest. Five of the children are living. Mr. Stewart has worked at his trade almost without intermission since returning from the war. He was superintendent of plank roads while a citizen of Pike and Moniteau, and has held the same position in Boone.”


p. 1099 – JOHN C. STICE

“John C. Stice was born in Boone county, Missouri, January 30, 1844. His father, Buford Stice, was a native of Kentucky who emigrated to Boone county in an early day. He died when his son was a small boy. The subject of this sketch was one of five children, who grew up on the home place originally settled by the elder Stice, near the old Dripping Spring church. John C. Stice was educated at the common schools of his neighborhood, his first teacher being James Kelly. He was a soldier in the Confederate army during the last year of the war, and was in several battles. He married Miss Elizabeth Schooler, daughter of Alex. Schooler, of Boone county. They have four children, one son and three daughters. Mr. Stice owns a good farm of about 120 acres, situated on the public road. He is a breeder of fine horses and his stock is much praised in the community where he lives. He is a member of the Christian church.”


p. 959 – J. W. STONE

“Josiah Wilson Stone, a son of Caleb S. Stone, so frequently mentioned in these pages, is a native of Boone county, born in Columbia. He was educated in the common schools. In early life he engaged in merchandising, and afterward “learned” the Missouri river and ran as pilot thereon for many years. On the breaking out of the war he took service for a short time on the Southern side. He was in the fight at Mt. Zion church, in this county, in December, 1861, but escaped in safety. Soon after he went back to the river and ran as pilot until the war was over. In 1873 he returned to Boone county, and has here resided ever since. In 1878 he was elected sheriff of the county and reelected in 1880. “In 1858 Mr. Stone was married at St. Charles, Mo., to Miss Elvira Dozier, a daughter of Capt. Dozier, of St. Louis, now of the firm of Dozier, Weyl & Co. Mr. and Mrs. Stone are the parents of two children. Mr. Stone is a member of the Christian church, and belongs to the Masonic order and to the Odd Fellows. Boone county never had a more faithful official or a better citizen than Josiah W. Stone. At the Democratic primaries, in August, 1882, Mr. Stone was nominated as the candidate for circuit clerk, after a long, arduous and closely contested canvass against such a strong competitor as W. W. Garth, Esq.”



“Is a native of Clarke county, Kentucky, born May 4, 1829. His parents, William and Sallie Summers, were also born in Kentucky, but came to this State and county in 1851, and settled near Middletown, where they lived till 1865. They then moved to John Summers’s, their son, and lived with him till their death, the father dying in 1875, and the mother in 1876. The subject of this sketch did not come to Missouri till 1853, two years after his parents came. He was married in Boone county, April 10, 1855, to Miss Sallie A. Hulen, a daughter of John C. and Sallie Hulen, and born in Kentucky, September 10, 1837. Her parents were likewise Kentuckians, and came to this State in 1843. Mr. S. and wife were reared on a farm, and have mostly resided on the farm. In 1855 he sold goods in Hallsville, but since that time has been farming and dealing in live stock. Four boys and five girls have been born to Mr., and Mrs. Summers, all of whom survive except one son. The oldest daughter, Mary B., was educated at Camden Point, Mo, and since then has taught successfully in the schools of Boone county for six years. She is now the wife of a thrifty farmer living on Grand prairie, east of Hallsville. The second daughter, Nettie B., graduated from the normal department of the University in 1879, and has also been teaching in the schools of Boone county for four years. Still another daughter attended Christian College for one year, and George R., the oldest son, graduated from Jones’s Commercial College, in St. Louis, and is now in the mercantile business in Hallsville, all of which shows the appreciation of the Summers family for education and learning. Mr. Summers, wife and three daughters are members of the Christian church, the former having been a member for twenty-one years and Mrs. S. for over thirty years. Mr. S. was in the late civil war about one year, and served under Gen. Price, participating in the battles of Lexington, Dry Wood and Pea Ridge. His grandfather was also a soldier and did service in the war of 1812, under Gen. Harrison. Mr. Summers owns 240 acres of land, about 170 of which he has improved into a comfortable home. He is a gentleman of the old school in point of liberality and charity, and his many generous acts are remembered in grateful recognition by the recipients.”



“The worthy subject of this sketch, who has served Missouri so long and faithfully in a scientific capacity, was born in Buckfield, Oxford county, Maine, in 1817, and is a descendant of a Norman-French family named Sevallieu, whose chief marched with William the Norman into England. One branch emigrated from France to New Orleans, while another came from England to New England, Prof. Swallow being a scion of the latter family. Early in life young George took a deep interest in the mysterious science of geology. He entered Bowdoin College, from which he graduated in 1843, with high honors and was immediately chosen lecturer in his alma mater on the subject of Botany. In 1848 he established an agricultural college at Hampden, Maine, having obtained aid from the State for that purpose. He was elected professor of chemistry and geology in the Missouri University in 1850, and 1853 was appointed the first State geologist Missouri ever had. His first official report was published in 1855. He first determined, located and mapped out the boundaries of the geological formations of Missouri, and their mineral contents, as published in his reports and Campbell’s Atlas of Missouri, which reports have been followed by later investigators in working out the minor details of our State’s geology. During the war-time the business of the State University and the geological survey were so much broken up that, in 1865,l Prof. Swallow accepted an appointment as State geologist of Kansas, and continued in that work two years. He had previously, in 1858, discovered and determined rocks in Kansas belonging to the Permian group of geological series. This was the first time that rocks of this age were shown to exist in America; and this discovery by Prof. Swallow, together with his reports on the geology of Missouri and Kansas, and papers read before the American Association, gave him a high rank and honorable recognition among the learned societies and savans of America and Europe. “In 1870 the University of Missouri was enlarged, reconstructed and reorganized on the true university plan – with coordinate schools or colleges of literature, science, art, law, medicine, mines and agriculture. Dr. Swallow was appointed to the chair of natural history and agriculture and made dean of the agricultural college. “In June, 1882, Prof. Swallow was removed from his chair in the University as he claims for his persistent efforts to preserve the agricultural college and its funds in their integrity, and on charges which he was not permitted to hear and rebut, and many of which are proved to be false by the official records of the University, the agricultural college and the State Board of Agriculture. [see history of University prepared by Col. Switzler.] For nearly thirty years past he has been a working and leading member of the agricultural and horticultural societies of the State, their very existence having grown out of his urgent and eloquent advocacy of such organizations as early as 1852. He has also been an active member of the “American Association for the Advancement of Science,” and has taken an honored and leading part in many of its profoundest discussions. He has always been a staunch opponent of “Darwinism,” or the materialistic phase of the doctrine of evolution. His most persistent and useful work is, perhaps, his study and classification of Missouri soils as shown by his numerous publications on their chemical and physical properties, and the best modes of culture for the staple crops of the Mississippi valley.”



“Col. Switzler was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, March 16, 1819. His paternal grandparents were natives of Switzerland. They emigrated to America, settling near Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, subsequently removing to Orange county, Virginia, where Simeon Switzler, the father of Col. S. was born. In 1826 Wm. F. came with his father to Fayette, Howard county, Missouri, and here resided until 1832, when the family moved to a farm about midway between Fayette and Boonville. He attended school at Mt. Forest Academy and read law at his home, his instructors in law being Col. J. Davis and Judge Abiel Leonard. “Col. Switzler early evinced a decided taste for politics. In 1840, when but twenty-one years of age, he was a strong Whig, and wrote a series of able articles in the Boonslick Times (then published at Fayette) advocating the election of Gen. Harrison. January 8, 1841, he came to Columbia and read law in the office of Hon. J. S. Rollins. In 1841 he was selected to deliver a public address on the occasion of the death and in commemoration of the life and services of Gen. Harrison. In the same year he became editor of the Patriot. His admission to the bar occurred in 1842. In July he retired from the Patriot, but in December following he purchased a half interest in the office, and again became its editor (she history of Columbia Patriot). Col. Switzler’s public services in behalf of his county and State are set forth on other pages of this volume and need not again be mentioned here. “As stated, he was an old line Whig, and as such voted for and supported Gen. Harrison for president in 1840; Henry Clay in 1844; Gen. Taylor in 1848; Gen. Scott in 1852; Millard Fillmore in 1856; and John Bell in 1860. In the latter year he was a candidate for presidential elector on the Bell-Everett ticket and made a thorough canvass of his district. During the war he was a decided but conservative Union man. Since 1863 he has acted with the Democratic party. He supported Gen. McClellan for president in 1864; Horatio Seymour in 1868; Horace Greeley in 1872; Samuel J. Tilden in 1876, and Gen. Hancock in 1880. “In 1866 and also in 1868 Col. Switzler was the Democratic nominee for congress in his district. Notwithstanding the disfranchisement of a very large number of Democrats, he was both times elected by large majorities over his Radical competitors. The Radical secretary of state ‘went behind the returns,’ however, and each time gave the certificate of election to Col. S.’s competitor. Each time the case was carried up to congress, and on both occasions a majority of the committee on election, largely Republican, reported in favor of Col. Switzler. The Radical majority in the house, however, refused to ratify the actions of the committee, and both times awarded the seats to the sitting members. On both occasions Col. Switzler presented his case to the house in speeches of great ability and power, which attracted attention and comment throughout the Union. Previous to the war -- 1n 1846, 1848 and 1856 -- he was elected to the legislature from Boone county. “Col. Switzler was a member of the State Constitutional convention of 1865, in which he took a very prominent part against disfranchisement and other extreme measures adopted by the Radical majority of that body. He was also a member of the constitutional convention of 1875, and was chairman of the committee on education. To him the people of the State are largely indebted for the article on that subject in the present constitution. “January 1, 1878, leaving the Statesman newspaper under the editorial control and business management of his brother, Lewis M. Switzler, a lawyer of Columbia, and of his eldest son, Irvin Switzler, he assumed half ownership and chief editorial charge, in conjunction with M.B. Chapman, of the St. Joseph Daily Evening Chronicle, but in April following disposed of his interest, returned to Columbia and resumed control of the Statesman, which he yet maintains. His history discloses the remarkable fact of more than forty years’ editorship of the same paper in the same town. “A few days after he left Columbia for St. Joseph, as it was supposed, there to make his permanent home, his old neighbors and countymen held a public meeting in the court-house, which was presided over by the late Elder J.K. Rogers, and which was addressed by Hon J.S. Rollins, Robert L. Todd, Prof. G. C. Swallow, Rev. W.T. Ellington, Capt. H.C. Pierce and others, each bearing testimony to the high character, ability and services of Col. Switzler, with personal regrets at his leaving Columbia. Resolutions were passed by the meeting eulogistic of him as a journalist, legislator and citizen -- such resolutions as few men of any State live to see passed and published in commendation of them by their old friends and countymen. “In 1877 Col. Switzler wrote ‘Switzler’s History of Missouri,’ universally regarded and adopted as the standard history of our State. Being for so long a time in public life and blessed with a phenomenal memory, he is a perfect animated cyclopedia of facts pertaining to the history of Missouri and Boone county, and has the full capacity to put them on paper, as is evidenced by the ‘History of Missouri,’ and by this volume, the general history in which was chiefly written by him. “In August, 1843, Mr. Switzler was married, in Columbia, to Mary Jane Royall, a daughter of John B. Royall, of Halifax county, Virginia. Mrs. Switzler died September 11, 1879, leaving three grown children, two sons and one daughter. One of the sons, Irvin Switzler, is now proprietor of the Columbia Statesman. Col. Switzler himself remains unmarried. “It may further and in conclusion be said of Col. Wm. F. Switzler that he is a self-made man, who has won honorable distinction by industry, self-reliance, personal purity and worth. As a journalist he ranks high, the Statesman being regarded as a powerful and influential journal which in each issue is filled with matter conducive to good taste, good morals, and good government. Although always surrounded by those who made, sold and drank spirituous liquors he has never tasted of an intoxicating beverage. He has been always a steady, unflinching advocate of total abstinence, and is known as a leading worker in the cause of temperance and prohibition in this State. He is the G.W.C.T. of the order of Good Templars for the fourth time. “Col. Switzler has done good service for Boone county. As its representative in legislative councils he was always ready, faithful and efficient; during the war he was of great assistance to the people of his county who favored secession, and had fallen under the ban of Federal military authority; in every public enterprise he was always among the foremost; in every good work he has never been behind hand; as a friend he is loyal and trustworthy; as a citizen and a man he is a model, and while he is now blessed with troops of friends and admirers, there are generations yet unborn that will rise up to do honor to his memory.”