Charles Henry Taylor was born in Maryland, August 4, 1850. He is the son of Levi and Adeliza (nee Bell) Taylor. He left his native State when he was twenty years of age, coming to St. Charles, Missouri, where he remained one year, removing from there to Sturgeon, where he has remained ever since. He was depot agent and telegraph operator for ten years. In the fall of 1878 was married to Miss Kate, daughter of Christian Miller, of Audrain county. They have one child, Lloyd Stanley. Mrs. Taylor is a member of the Christian church. Mr. Taylor belongs to the order of A.O.U.W. He is a member of the city council. Has a half-interest in the property known as the Middleton & Taylor mill. A large lot of new machinery has lately been added to this mill, and the property greatly improved throughout. The estimated value of the mill, in its present improved condition, is $6,000. Mr. Taylor is a very clever, obliging young man, and stand very high in business and social circles.”



Mr. Thomas is the son of Christopher and Jemima K. (Detrow) Thomas, and was born July 1, 1836, in Frederick county, Maryland. He was educated in his native county, and at the age of eighteen he came to Palmyra, Missouri, and there learned the carpenter’s trade. In 1855 he went to Keokuk, Iowa, and in 1856 learned the ambrotype picture business, serving an eighteen months’ apprenticeship. In May, 1857, he came to Columbia and worked in the picture gallery of J.T. Redmond, and continued in his employ until July 1, 1857, when he, in partnership with E. L. Wright, went into the business for themselves. They continued the business for about eight months, when he sold his interest in the gallery to a man named Bishop, and worked for the firm about three months. He then returned to Palmyra and worked at his old trade, that of carpentering. In 1868 he left Palmyra and went to Jefferson City and ran a picture gallery for W.H. Douglass until 1859, when he returned to Columbia and went into the picture business for himself until 1861. He next resumed work at carpentering until 1862, when he took his gallery to Syracuse, where there were several regiments of soldiers, and went with them to Jefferson City, Liberty and St. Louis. In 1864 he returned to Columbia and was drafted into the Federal army, Sixth regiment, company H, Missouri volunteers, where he served ten months and was discharged in August, 1865. He then came back to Columbia and worked for E.R. Childers in 1866. In 1867 he worked for A.R. Butts. Butts sold out to R.J. Booth, and Mr. Thomas ran the gallery for him for two years. In 1872 he bought out Mr. Booth and has continued the business ever since. He was a member of the National Photographic Association of the United States until it collapsed in 1876. He is now a member of the Photographic Association of America, organized in 1880, and was one of its first members. He attends all conventions of the profession, and keeps pace with all improvements in the art. He was married September 14, 1858, to Miss Louisa F., daughter of Andrew Lukens, of Philadelphia, PA. They have had nine children, five boys and four girls, but three of whom are now living. He and his wife are members of the Episcopal church, and he is a member of the Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, and Ancient Order of United Workmen Societies.”



The subject of this sketch was born in Boone county, October 31, 1844. Was educated at public schools. Lived in Columbia township till March 4, 1866, when he came to Centralia. Had but twenty-five cents in his pocket the day he landed in town. Went to work on the railroad and afterwards drove a team. He next engaged in the grocery business, afterwards in general merchandising. Followed this business for nine years. Then went into the hotel business, which he followed for three or four years. Quitting the hotel, he went back to the grocery business, afterwards selling out to E. M. Anderson. He then became one of the incorporators and directors of the Centralia bank. Mr. Threlkeld has been trustee of Centralia for many years. Has been twice married. His first wife was Mary Enochs, of Renick, Missouri. Was married May 11, 1870. The first wife having died January 23, 1871, he married Miss Mattie Porter, a native of Belleville, Canada. They have two children. Mrs. Threlkeld is a member of the Methodist church. Mr. Threlkeld is a Mason.”



John W. Thurston is of English extraction, but remotely, his forefathers for three or four generations having been born in Virginia. He himself was born in that State, being a native of Albemarle county. He is the son of Thomas Thurston, and was born December 4, 1829. His mother was the daughter of Walter Watson, a revolutionary soldier, and a native of Maryland. Mr. Thurston came to Boone county, Missouri, in 1854. In 1858 he was married to Miss Mary F. Elliott, daughter of Eppa Elliott. By this marriage there are seven children -- three sons and four daughters -- all of whom are living. Their names are Ralph E., Mary L., John T., Nora M., Mary F., Elsa R. and Hollis H. Mr. Thurston owns an excellent farm of 387 acres, well situated and finely improved. He is an enterprising, useful citizen. He is an official member of the Everett M.E. Church South. His oldest son, Ralph E., was recently married to Miss Mary Cowden. The eldest daughter, Mary L., was for several years a student of the State University, and is now a successful teacher of the common schools of Boone county.”



This gentleman is a native of Old Boone, born December 18, 1816, when Boone formed a part of Howard county. John is the son of William and Mary Toalson, the former a native of Virginia, but both reared in Kentucky. After his marriage, the father moved to Missouri, first locating near Fayette, in Howard county, and then removing to what is now Boone in 1816, settling one mile south of where William Toalson now lives. After several other removals, all in Boone county, the father finally settled four miles north of Columbia, where he died in 1841. At the time of the first coming of the Toalsons, Boone county, then almost an unsettled wilderness, abounded in wild game and Indians. John remembers well the time when his father used to hunt with the red men of the forest, who were for a long time perfectly friendly till they were driven out by the uprising of the settlers, after having committed some outrages that the pale-faces would not brook. Though it can not be said that ‘locusts and wild honey’ were the ‘meat’ of those early settlers, it can be truthfully said that bear’s meat and wild honey were the chief food on which they for a time subsisted. The subject of this sketch, after receiving a common school education, was united in matrimony, in 1844, to Nancy Allen, a native of Madison county, Kentucky, born July 4, 1827, and a daughter of Temple and Polly Allen, who came to Missouri in 1831. Twelve children were born to bless this union, seven sons and five daughters, five of the former and three of the latter still surviving. One son and one daughter are married and living in the southern part of the State. A son and a daughter were educated at Sweet Springs, Mo., and still another son is telegraph operator at Plattsburg, Mo. The entire family, except two of the children, are members of the Christian church. Mr. T. and wife have been members of the Red Top church for upwards of forty years. Two sons belong to the Masonic fraternity, one at Centralia and one at Hallsville. During the civil war, Mr. Toalson was for a short time in the Confederate service, and participated in the fights at Dry Wood and Lexington. He owns 217 acres of land, 160 acres improved, and well adapted to producing all the cereals of this climate. Mr. T. is now nearly sixty-five years old, having spent the most of his time right here in Boone. He has four children still living with him to comfort and to cheer the declining years of that father who has endured toil and hardship that they, his children, might enjoy the fruits of his labor.”


p. 962 PROF. S. M. TRACY

Samuel Mills Tracy was born in Windsor county, Vermont, April 30, 1847. In 1853 removed with his father to Bloomington, Wisconsin, where he was partly educated. Graduated at Michigan Agricultural College in 1868. After completing his studies, followed horticulture, and was editorially connected with Colman’s Rural World, St. Louis, Missouri; was also editor of the Practical Farmer, Philadelphia. In the spring of 1877 was appointed assistant professor of agriculture in the Missouri State University. January, 1881, was made professor of botany and entomology, also superintendent of the agricultural department. Was honored with the degree of M.S. by the University of Michigan in 1876. Prof. Tracy was married in 1874 to Miss Martha A. Terry, of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. They have three children. Mr. and Mrs. Tracy are members of the Presbyterian church. The professor is also a member of the Knights of Honor. During the war he served in the Forty-first Wisconsin infantry.”



The subject of this sketch has not been a citizen of Boone county but a few years, yet, notwithstanding this fact, he is already more thoroughly identified with the business interests of the county than many of the oldest citizens. Possessing remarkable energy, good judgment, and affable manners, he has succeeded in building up a business, and in much less time than it usually takes to accomplish such important results. Mr. Trice was born in DeKalb county, Missouri, October 28, 1853, and came to Boone county in 1877. He first located in Rocheport, where he remained for three years. From Rocheport he removed to his present home on the grounds of his nursery, three-fourths of a mile north of town. He was married November 19, 1878, to a daughter of Alfred R. Steele. He is manager and senior proprietor of the nursery farm of Trice Brothers & Co., also general agent for all sorts of nursery stock. They have forty acres in nursery, surrounded by a beautiful hedge of osage orange. In addition to young stock, they have 3,000 apple trees just beginning to bear. This orchard covers twenty acres. They have a plum orchard of seventy-five trees and a pear orchard of 150. The nursery grounds have a natural slope in all directions, affording natural drainage, which adds greatly to the fertility of the soil as well as to the beauty of the place. They have a general assortment of nursery stock, including shrubbery, evergreens, roses, etc. Mr. Trice also owns a cattle ranche in Butler county, Kansas.


p. 962 G. W. TRIMBLE

George W. Trimble was born in Randolph county, Missouri, July 21, 1839. His father was Maj. Robert Trimble, of Kentucky; his mother, Elizabeth (Young) Trimble, also of Kentucky. The subject of this sketch was raised on a farm near Fort Henry, and educated at the common schools of the country. At the age of sixteen he came to Columbia, Missouri, and entered the store of J. Kirkbride as a salesman. He clerked for his employer until 1860, when he became a member of the firm. He was married, November 12, 1867, to Miss Martha, daughter of Dr. W. H. Duncan, an old citizen of Columbia. They have two living children, Susie and Margaret. Mr. and Mrs. Trimble are members of the Baptist church. He is also a member of the I.O.G.T. He has been a member of the city council. In 1880 came within thirty-three votes of being elected county treasurer in a vote of 3,000. John M. Samuel was his competitor. Mr. Trimble is now a member of the firm of Trimble, Fyfer & Co. He has a pleasant home, made with his own hands. He is an active, energetic man. In addition to his own private business he has acted as administrator for a number of estates, besides transacting other public business of a similar nature.


p. 610 F. M. TRUBY

F. M. Truby, machinist and miller, was born in Armstrong county, Pennsylvania, April 27, 1829. He is the son of Jacob and Catherine (nee Mechling) Truby. He lived in Pennsylvania until he came to Missouri, sometime about the year 1874. He first settled in Middle Grove, Monroe county, where he lived four years. He came to Sturgeon in 1879. He has a good education, having received special instructions in his line of business. He is a practical machinist, and has applied his knowledge and skill principally to milling purposes. He is proprietor of the Sturgeon Mills. Mr. Truby was married in 1852, to Rebecca Cooper, daughter of Ustacy and Mary Ann Cooper, of Waynesville, Ohio. They have 10 living children. Their names are Katie, Celesta, Ustacy, Romeo, William, Annie, Osa, Lillie, Wilber and franklin. Their fourth child, Isbin is dead.


p. 611 B. F. TUCKER

B.F. Tucker was born in Boone county, Missouri, September 23, 1834. He is the son of W.W. Tucker, a native of Virginia. His mother was a native of Kentucky. Her maiden name was Woodruff. W.W. Tucker is the father of sixteen children, all of whom are living. They are all the children of one mother. B. F. Tucker grew up to manhood on his father’s farm, in Rocky Fork township, removing to Bourbon when twenty-one years of age, where he has continuously resided ever since. He was educated at the common schools of the county. His father was a farmer, and the son was brought up in that line of business and has followed agricultural pursuits all his life. He was married December 12, 1855, to Miss Jeannette H., daughter of Joseph and Hannah Fountain, of Bourbon township. They had two children by this marriage, William Warren and Joseph D. The first wife dying, Mr. tucker was again married, June 12, 1873, to Lucinda E., daughter of James and Tabitha Davenport, natives of Kentucky . Mr. and Mrs. Tucker are both members of the Christian church. He took no part in the war. His farm is pleasantly situated and quite productive. By industry, prudence and economy, Mr. tucker has accumulated considerable property, nearly all of which is the result of his own individual labor.


p. 1058 HENRY TUMY

Henry Tumy was born in Harrodsburg, Mercer county, Kentucky, August 10, 1819. When he was three years old his parents moved to Petersburg, Kentucky, and from there to Cincinnati, Ohio when he was six years old. A year later his father died of yellow fever at New Orleans, and Henry went with his mother to Dayton, Ohio, where she died, leaving him alone in the world at the early age of eight years. He was bound to a tanner named John Kuntz, and with whom he lived six years, learning something of the tanning business. At fourteen years of age he set in to learn the saddle and harness maker’s trades, at which he has worked ever since. In September, 1842, Mr. Tumy came to this county and set up in the saddlery and harness business at Rocheport, and has continued so ever since, except the interruptions he was subjected to during the war. At the burning of Rocheport, so frequently mentioned in this volume, he lost heavily in buildings and goods. Besides, he was on another occasion, forced to raise $400 by Bill Anderson and his ‘bushwackers,’ which he borrowed of his neighbors and gave up in ranson for his life. On the return of peace he resumed his business, and by close attention thereto has regained his losses, conducting a tannery also in connection with his other business. On October 24, 1844, Mr. Tumy married Miss Georgia Evans, of Rocheport. They have eight children: Laura, Sarah, Nannie, Deborah, James, John, Henry, and Frank. The girls are all married. The last named reside at home with their father at this writing. Mr. Tumy is a member of the Rocheport lodge, No. 67, A.F. and A.M., and of lodge No. 147, I.O.G.T.”


p. 611 A. J. TURNER

A.J. Turner was born in Warren county, Kentucky, September 2, 1831. He is the son of Andrew and Mary (nee Harris) Turner. He came to Missouri when seven years old. He was raised in Saling township, Audrain county, three miles north of Sturgeon. When eighteen years old he went overland to California. He did not remain in the mines but a few months, returning by way of Panama. He was four months at sea and suffered severely from sea-sickness. He was married July 8, 1852, to Miss Catherine, daughter of Jesse and Georgia Vance, natives of Kentucky. They have four children. Their names are P.H., Dora, Mary, and Katie. Dora is the wife of Dr. J. Keith, of Sturgeon. Mr. Turner improved and sold several farms in Audrain county previous to coming to Sturgeon in 1870. Since removing to town he has followed no particular occupation. He came to Sturgeon for the propose of educating his children. He is an earnest advocate of popular education. He says the only time he was ever beaten for an office was when he offered for school director. It was when the law required but one director and he was known to be in favor of an increased levy for school purposes. He has been a member of the city council for about ten years. Mr. and Mrs. Turner are both members of the Christian church. He is also a Mason. Mr. Turner is a kind-hearted, quiet, genial man. He is in comfortable circumstances and takes the world very easy.



The subject of this sketch was born upon the farm where he now lives, on the 11th day of July, 1853. His father, Wm. Turner, was born June 6, 1829, and died in Santa Fe, New Mexico, May 26, 1880. A. W. Turner, the father of William, and grandfather of Charles R., moved from Madison county, Kentucky, to Columbia, Boone county, Missouri, about 1832, when William was three or four years old. He practiced law in Columbia for some time and then bought a farm on Bear creek, where he spent the rest of his days. He and his wife are buried upon the old Turner homestead in the family burying ground. Wm. Turner was married March 25, 1852, to Miss C. F. McLean, whose father was the first Baptist preacher in Missouri. She was born and reared in Boone county, Missouri. Her parents were natives of Kentucky. By their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Turner had two children, Charles R. and Matilda, who died May 18, 1875, and is buried beside her father in the family graveyard. Wm. Turner was a member of the Christian church, and a member of the Masonic lodge at Hickory Grove. He went out to New Mexico to restore his failing health. The trip failed to benefit him. He died in Santa Fe, New Mexico, on the 26th day of May, 1880. Charles R., the only surviving child, is living upon the old homestead. He attended the State University two years after receiving a good common school education. He was reared upon the farm, and when he reached manhood chose farming as his occupation. He handles stock, principally cattle, and his chief crop is corn. He has a magnificent farm of seven hundred and twenty acres in a high state of cultivation. His house is near the center of section 29, township 49, and range 11. He was married December 14, 1881, to Miss Belle Rogers, daughter of James and Lizzie (Philips) Rogers, of this county. He is a member of the Odd Fellows lodge at Columbia, and withal is an affable, enterprising young gentleman.”



Sherrod W. Turner, cashier of the Sturgeon bank, and member of the firm of Rucker & Turner, was born and reared in Boone county, Missouri. He is the son of John and Virenda H. (Tucker) Turner. His early education was limited. He attended the common schools of the county, and afterwards went to the State University, at Columbia, MO. He taught in the public schools for about five years his first attempt at teaching being in the capacity of assistant in the Sturgeon high school. He want to the Mound City Commercial College, St. Louis, where he took a thorough course, including commercial law. He graduated from this institution in 1869. In 1870 he went to Texas and was engaged in a dry goods house as book-keeper for one year. Returned to Sturgeon in 1871, and was employed as book-keeper and salesman by Maj. G. F. Rucker until 1876, when he became a partner in the firm. December, 1879, he became cashier of the Sturgeon bank. He was married November 12, 1871, to Miss Katie, daughter of Nathaniel Roberts, of Boone county. They have no children. Mr. and Mrs. Turner are both members of the Christian church. He is a Knight Templar and member of the Order of A.O.U.W. and Knights of Honor. Mr. Turner is a live business man, and has been very successful in all his undertakings.



Was born at the fort at Old Franklin, Howard county, April 15, 1817. He is a son of Smith and Nancy Turner, who were natives of North Carolina, but settled in Kentucky at an early day. In 1816 they removed to Howard county, Missouri, and three years later came to Boone, locating in what is now the neighborhood of the old Rockford church, and becoming one among the pioneers of the county. Here Thomas Turner grew to manhood, receiving his education at the schools of his neighborhood, then not of a very high order. His education, so far as book-learning is considered, was therefore somewhat limited, but in the school of experience he took a full course. In 1839 Mr. Turner entered eighty acres of land south of Centralia on the line of Boone and Audrain counties. Here he has since lived, having added largely to his original tract, until his farm now comprises 721 acres of choice land, and is one of the best stock farms in the county. Mr. T. has uniformly engaged in farming and stock-raising, in which pursuits he has been fairly successful. In 1882 Mr. Turner removed to Centralia, where he has a fine residence and is very comfortably situated. His son manages his fine farm. September 27, 1838, Mr. Turner married Miss Eleanor Turner, daughter of Thomas and Peggy (Dunham) Turner, natives of Kentucky, and among the early settlers of this county. The subject of this sketch and his wife are the parents of two children, William S. and Mary B. M. Turner. While not a wealthy man, as the term is understood, he enjoys a competence of this world’s goods, the product of his own industry, energy and management. No man stands higher in his community. His word is as good as his bond. His friends are numbered by legions, and he deserves every one of them.



Mr. Tuttle is the son of John Tuttle, a farmer, who was a native of Virginia, and born near Bull Run creek, where so much hard fighting was done during the civil war. John’s wife, and Thomas’ mother, was Susan Hall Elliott, a native of Kentucky. The subject of this sketch was born on his father’s farm, in Boone county, July 20, 1831, where he continued to reside till 1864. His education was obtained in the schools of his neighborhood, which he attended during boyhood. The winter of 1858-59 was spent in Texas. In January, 1862, he, being a Southern sympathizer, was arrested by order of Gen. J. B. Douglass, of the M.S.M., and confined in Gratiot street (St. Louis) prison, and was also held at Alton. He was released in the latter part of June following, but had to swear allegiance and give a bond of $4,000. Returning home he cultivated his farm till he sold it in the spring of 1864. He then engaged in the mercantile business in Providence, this county, with his brother. He was twice robbed by Anderson’s men, and was also effectually cleaned out by the Federals, under Gen. Fisk. In the spring of 1865, he with two brothers, went to freighting across from Fort Leavenworth to Colorado and Montana. In December, 1865, he moved his family to Saline county, where he farmed and fed stock for two years. He bought a farm in the spring of ‘68, eight miles west of Columbia, where he lived ten years, until his removal to Ashland in ‘78. There he engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, where he still resides. He also cultivates a farm adjoining the town on the south. Mr. Tuttle was married June 19, 1855, to Gillie C., daughter of James S. Lowery, of Boone county. She died in 1872, and he was again married in ‘74 to Miss Georgie E. Tuttle, daughter of Judge Gilpin S. Tuttle, of Boone county. Mr. Tuttle is the father of two sons, oldest born in 1875 and younger in 1882. He is a member of Ashland lodge of A.F. & A.M., and was a charter member of Locust Grove Grange, P. of H.”



Judge William Porter Tuttle is the son of John Tuttle, a native of Virginia, who, when a young man, went to Kentucky on horseback, and while there married Susan Elliott, a native of that state. They emigrated to Boone county, Missouri, about the year 1826, and settled five miles southwest of Columbia. They were members of the Presbyterian church, in which faith they lived and died. The subject of this sketch was born January 20, 1834. He was the youngest of a family of three boys and three girls, all of whom are now living except one sister, Mary Jane, who died in 1841, at the age of eighteen. All of the family, except one, are living in Boone county. Porter was reared on his father’s farm. At the age of sixteen he entered the Missouri State University, taking the full course as prescribed by that institution. After completing his studies he entered the store of Gilpin S. Tuttle, at Nashville, Boone county. Two years later he was married to his cousin, Nannie P Tuttle, daughter of his employer. He then went into partnership with his uncle at Providence, under the firm name of G.S. & W.P. Tuttle. They did business until they were obliged to close the store on account of their political opinions. This was in 1861. In the summer of that year he enlisted in Capt. Samuel Tuttle’s company, of Col. McKinney’s regiment, Confederate army. He took part in the battles of Drywood and Lexington. While recruiting on this side of the river, was captured, December 15, 1861. Was sent a prisoner to McDowell’s College, St. Louis, where he was soon afterwards prostrated with a severe attack of small-pox, remaining from 25 December, 1861, until March, 1862, in the hospital. Recovering at last, he was released from prison on taking the oath of allegiance to the Federal Government. On his return he resumed business at Providence under the firm name of Thomas P. & William M. Tuttle. In 1864 they were robbed three times by guerillas, and once by the Federal soldiers. He now gave up the mercantile business and went to freighting across the plains to New Mexico, and finally to Montana, the work being in the interest of the Federal Government. In 1867 he returned to Providence and resumed the mercantile business with George Haydon & Co. Two years later Mr. Haydon sold to R. A. Roddy and the business went on in the name of Roddy & Tuttle. Mr. Roddy was drowned, October 5, 1877, and Mr. Tuttle associated in business S. J. Conley, with whom he is still doing business under the firm name of Tuttle & Conley. They do a large mercantile, grain and stock business, and are largely interested in farming. Judge Tuttle has had three sons and five daughters born to him, four of whom -- Charles T., Annie R., Marion L., and Victoria R., are dead. The living are Sallie, William M., Porter H. and Clara E. Mr. Tuttle was elected judge of the Boone county court in 1880, and is, at this writing (summer of 1882), a candidate for re-election, with a fair prospect of being his own successor. He was commissioned postmaster at Providence in 1879, which position he resigned on being elected a judge of the county court He has been a member of the Baptist church for twenty-seven years. Mrs. Tuttle has been a member of the same church for twenty-eight years. They united with the church at Old Nashville and were immersed in the Missouri river. Has been a member of the Ashland lodge of A.F. & A.M. since 1862.”