p. 972 WILLIAM POPE YEAMAN
“William Pope Yeaman was born in Hardin county, Kentucky, May 28, 1832. His father, Stephen M. Yeaman, was born in Pennsylvania, but while a small child emigrated, with his father, Samuel Yeaman, to Ohio; but afterwards, in early manhood, sought a home in Kentucky, where he studied law and was admitted to the bar and soon gained for himself a responsive and remunerative practice. At the age of twenty-seven he married Miss Lucretia Helm, daughter of Hon. George Helm, of Hardin county.
The subject of this sketch is the third child and third son in a family of nine children, eight of whom were sons. He studied law in the office of his uncle, Gov. John L. Helm, at Elizabethtown, Kentucky, and at the age of nineteen was admitted to the bar. At about the same age he was married to Miss Virginia Shackelford, of Hardin county, Kentucky. This lady, by her many noble and sterling qualities, has proven a help-meet indeed to her husband. A large and interesting family of children have claimed her almost undivided attention and afforded her a real pleasure. For nine years Mr. Yeaman devoted his talents and energies to the practice of law, and, for so young a man, he attained a remarkable eminence in his profession.At the age of twenty-seven, after a severe and prolonged struggle between ambition and a sense of duty, he yielded to his conviction of duty to preach the gospel, and was ordained a minister of the Baptist church. His first pastorate was at Nicholasville, Kentucky.In 1862 Mr. Yeaman was called from this church to the pastorate of the First Baptist church in the city of Covington, Kentucky. In this pulpit he was the successor of many of the leading ministers of his denomination.
In December, 1867, he accepted a call from a prominent church in the city of New York. In that city he soon took high rank among his brother ministers, and the church of his charge -- the Central Baptist church -- was greatly increased in numbers and influence.
In March, 1870, he accepted a call from the Third Baptist church, of St. Louis, and in the following month entered upon the work of this important field. In the same year the faculty and trustees of William Jewell College conferred on him the merited honor of doctor of divinity.In 1875 Dr. Yeaman was elected chancellor of William Jewell College, and two years afterwards resigned.
In October, 1876, he resigned the pastorate of the Third Baptist church of St. Louis, and gave his time and attention to the duties of the chancellorship, and to the editorial management of the CENTRAL BAPTIST, the denominational organ in the State.In April, 1877, he was called to the Garrison Avenue Baptist church, and in October, 1877, he retired from the editorial chair to give his time more entirely to preaching.In the same month he was chosen president of the Missouri Baptist General Association, at an annual meeting held in the city of Lexington.
In 1882 he yielded to the wishes of his many friends and became a candidate for state superintendent of public schools of Missouri. Though he went into the convention with the strongest following, he was beaten for the nomination by a combination of the adherents of weaker candidates. The same year Dr. Yeaman removed to Columbia, and will make his future home in the ‘Athens of Missouri.’”
“Ambrose Crockett Young is the son of Edward and Frances (Grey) Young, both natives of Virginia. They emigrated in early life to Kentucky, where they were married, removing from that State to Missouri in 1831, settling on a farm near Ashland, in Boone county, where he died in 1864, at the advanced age of ninety-two years and six months. His wife died in 1852. Ambrose was born on his father’s farm, in Clark county, Kentucky, February 1, 1825. He was the youngest of a family of five sons and seven daughters, of whom two sons and three daughters are now living, all but one in Boone county. He came with his parents to this county in 1831, and settled on the farm where he now resides. Was educated at the Bonne Femme Academy and the University of Missouri. He has always resided on the old home place, a farm of 500 acres of excellent land finely improved. It is situated on the Jefferson City and Columbia gravel road, four and one-half miles north of Ashland and nine miles south of Columbia.”
"Was born in Boone county, Missouri, July 3, 1856. His father, Archibald L. Young, was also a physician, and was a native of Jessamine county, Kentucky, born September 30, 1829. He was one of a family of seven children, six sons, and a daughter. Himself and all his brothers studied medicine, and five out of six became practicing physicians. Their only sister married a medical doctor, and their father -- grandfather of the subject to this sketch -- was also an M.D. Dr. Archibald L. Young, took his first degree at the Transylvania University of Lexington, Kentucky, and the next at the New York (city) College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating from both these institutions. He practiced in the city hospitals for two years after his graduation before returning to Kentucky. He only remained a short time in his native State, when he came out to Missouri and located for the practice at Fulton, Callaway county. During his residence there, he was physician of the deaf and dumb asylum, and assistant physician of the lunatic asylum. His coming to Fulton was in about 1849, and he remained till the spring of 1856, when he moved to Columbia, this county, where he remained till his death on February 23, 1869. He had married, in 1853, Miss Sarah Hickman, daughter of Capt. D. M. Hickman, one of the early settlers of Boone county. Five children were born of that marriage, the subject of this sketch being the oldest. The others were named respectively, Matie, Archibald, Cornelia and Sallie, all living expect Mattie, who died when only two years old. Dr. D. H. Young was educated at the Kemper Institute, Boonville, Mo. and the State University, at Columbia. He studied medicine with Dr. A. W. McAlester, of Columbia, and also took the medical course of the University. He received the degree of M.D. from the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis in 1877. Returning to Columbia, he practiced medicine for two years then went and took a course at Bellevue Medical College, of New York, from which he came back to Columbia and resumed the practice, in which he continues at this writing."