p 746 - DR. M. R. ARNOLD, DECEASED
Dr. Matthew Read Arnold, son of Lewis and Margaret (Throckmorton) Arnold, was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, March 13th, 1805. He was educated in Kentucky. After coming to Boone county, he studied medicine and practiced his profession until his death, which occurred July 22d, 1868 He was married September 2d, 1828, to Melvina, daughter of Gen. R. S. Russell of Bourbon county, Kentucky. By this union there were five children, Eliza B., Lewis H., Maria T., Robert E., and Thomas A. The first wife dying, he was married the second time, September 22d, 1853, to Eliza J. daughter of Joseph and Susan (Hill) Swanson. By this union there were two children, Matthew R. and Jas. P. Dr. Arnold was a member of the Christian church of Columbia. Mrs. Arnold is a member of the Columbia Methodist church. She is living on the farm purchased by her husband, four and one-half miles southeast of Columbia.
Dr. J. W. Banks is a native of Tennessee, having been born in Sumner county of that State, September 26th, 1835. In 1836 his father removed to Missouri settling at Tebo Grove, Lafayette county, where the subject of this sketch was reared. He attended Dr. Yantis Institute, at Brownsville, Saline county, Missouri, and the State University, graduating in 1855. He then read medicine under Dr. Hudson, of Kentucky, and graduated as M.D. from Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, in 1857. He then returned to Missouri and located in Lafayette county, where he practiced his profession until 1861, when he returned to Tennessee and enlisted in the Confederate army as surgeon of the 2d Tennessee regiment, with which he remained until the close of the war. He was at Shiloh, Murfreesborough, Chickamauga, Mission Ridge, Resaca, Dallas, New Hope, Kenesaw, Atlanta, Jonesboro, Franklin, Nashville, Bentonville and many other engagements of less note. He removed the body of Gen. Polk from the battlefield at Kenesaw Mountains, and surrendered with Gen. Joe Johnston. At the close of the war he went to Texas, where he practiced medicine until 1869, when he returned to Missouri, and in 1872 came to Columbia, where he has remained ever since in the active discharge of his professional duties. Dr. Banks was married in 1866 to Sallie Luckett, of Pettis county, a native of Kentucky and a niece of Col. McGoffin, a distinguished Confederate officer. They have five children all living. Their names are William M., John S., Anna McGoffin, Luther L. and Hiram Franklin. Mrs. Banks is a member of the Presbyterian church.
"Dr. Bramlett was born in the State of Mississippi, near Verona, December 4th, 1854, and grew up in the place of his nativity. His education was acquired partly in the State of his birth, at Mississippi College, in Clinton, and partly at the University of Kentucky, at Lexington. At the age of eighteen he began the study of medicine under Dr. B. H. Whitfield, professor of natural science, in the above first named college. Subsequently he attended the Louisville, Kentucky, Medical College, and graduated therefrom with the degree of M.D. in March, 1876. Returning to Verona, he began the practice of medicine in co-partnership with B. H. Armstrong, at the same time engaging in the drug business in partnership with John A. Armstrong. He remained there until 1879, when, having closed his business and practice in that locality, he came to Boone county, Missouri, and located at Rocheport, where he resumed the practice. On April 1st, 1882, he became associated with Dr. M. D. Lewis, under the firm name of Bramlett & Lewis. These gentlemen, though still young men, are thoroughly educated generally, as well as specially, and are building up an extensive practice in Boone, Howard, Cooper and Moniteau counties.
Dr. Leonidas B. Brown is the son of James and Dorcas (McCalla) Brown, of Scott county, Kentucky, where he was born May 13, 1828. The family came to Boone County, Missouri, in the spring of 1835. He was educated at Georgetown College, Kentucky. Studied medicine in the office of Greig & Rankin, Georgetown Kentucky, afterwards graduating at the University of Louisville, in the twenty-fourth year of his age. He next attended a course of lectures at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, graduating in the spring of 1852. He then came to Boone county, Missouri, where he practiced his profession for two years, returning to Philadelphia for another course of lectures. Completing his medical studies, he returned to Boone county and resumed his former practice at Browns Station. He moved his family to the farm, formerly owned by his father, one half mile east of Stephens station, but still keeps his office at Browns Station, which derives its name from him. The village, consisting of some eight or ten houses, is built on his land. He has an extensive practice, visiting in his rounds some three hundred families. He has at his home farm 170 acres, and at Browns station about 40 acres. Dr. Brown was married December 19, 1854, to Miss Thompson, daughter of Richard and Ann (Swam) Thompson. By this marriage they had one son and one daughter. The first wife died in 1856. In 1858 he was married to Miss Nannie, daughter of Hugh and Mary Wright. By this union they have four sons and one daughter. Dr. Browns father was a carpenter, but carried on a farm while working at his trade. He built a great many houses in Columbia. He was quartermaster in the Mormon war, under General Thomas D. Grant. He died in 1845, and is buried at the old Hinkson church. Mrs. Brown died in 1869, and is buried by the side of her husband. Their family consisted of nine children, five sons and four daughters, of whom three sons and two daughters are now living, Dr. Brown being the oldest. F. C. Brown is a practicing physician at Hickory Grove church, Boone county. C. C. Brown is in the mercantile business, St. Louis; Isabella married Jesse Hart; Miriam married Samuel Crockett, all of Boone county. Mrs. Dr. Brown is a member of the Methodist church.
p. 712 - Dr. D. J. BRUTON.
Dr. Francis Jackson Bruton was born in Montgomery county, Kentucky, February 8th, 1830. Was educated at the common schools and at Prospect Hill college. His father, James Bruton, was a farmer and stock raiser. They came to Boone county in 1853. The country about Centralia was then very sparsely settled. The subject of this sketch remembers having killed wild deer upon what now constitutes a portion of the town of Centralia. Dr. Bruton farmed until 1866, when he moved to Centralia. In 1871 he graduated at the St. Louis Medical College, having previously read medicine for two years. He was married, July 14th, 1852, to Miss Henrietta Fenwyck, of Bath county, Kentucky. They have four children. Has one daughter now the wife of Robert B. Singleton, of St. Louis. Has one son, Frank E., in business at Sturgeon. During the civil war, Dr. Bruton remained at home. Took no part in the strife, but was arrested by Merrills Horse and kept several days on account of his sympathy for the South. He was drafted about the close of the war, but did no service. Was on the ground after the Centralia fight and helped to dispose of the dead, as will be seen by reading the account of the massacre which appears in this volume. Dr. Bruton is a Mason. He and his wife are both members of the Christian church.
p. 1119 - DR. BENNETT H. CLARK, SR.
The subject of this sketch was born in Howard county, Missouri, May 25th, 1825. He is the son of Bennett H. and Susan H. Clark, the latter a daughter of Gen. Stephen Triggs, who came to Missouri about 1815. His parents were natives of Clark county, Kentucky, but were reared in Montgomery county, that State. Dr. Clark was raised on the farm, and acquired his education in Howard county, being placed in Fayette High School at the age of seventeen, and remaining there until he finished his course. He began the study of medicine in Fayette under Dr. Charles R. Scott, in 1846, and read there about two years. He then went to the medical college at Louisville, Kentucky, and graduated there in 1849. Immediately on returning to Missouri, he began the practice at Fayette. The next year, however, (1850), he was borne off with the gold excitement, and went to California, where he spent a year. Returning to Missouri in 1851, he located at Buena Vista, and was there married in May, 1852, to Miss Elizabeth Winn, daughter of Charles H. and Eliza Winn. Mrs. Clark was born February 1st, 1837, on the farm where her father still resides. Subsequently she and Dr. C. moved to the farm where they now reside, at Middletown, in Rocky Fork township, and here the doctor practices medicine and operates the farm conjointly. Five out of seven children that were born to Mr. and Mrs. Clark still survive. One son, Bennett H. Jr., is a graduate of the medical department of the University, but is now settled on a farm in Boone county, as is also his brother. During the civil war, Dr. Clark enlisted in the Confederate army, in 1861, in the company commanded by Captain Hicks. He was in the battle of Boonville, under Gen. Marmaduke. In September, 1861, he was commissioned surgeon of the 6th regiment of infantry, Missouri State Guards, his regiment being in the third division commanded by his cousin, Gen. John B. Clark. In 1862 Dr. Clark was put into the regular Confederate service and appointed assistant surgeon, and served for a time under Gen. Hindman in Arkansas. He was ten sent to Gen. Price, in Missouri, and in 1864 was appointed regimental surgeon at Richmond, Virginia, and remained till the close of the war. He surrendered at Jacksonport, Arkansas, and returned to his farm, where he has ever since been engaged in the practice of his profession.
For several years Dr. Clark was postmaster at Middletown, and one time master of the Union Temperance Lodge organized at that place. He has been a Free Mason since 1846, and he and his wife are both members of the Christian church. The family to which Dr. Clark belongs is one prominently known in this State, Virginia and Kentucky. The civil and military record of his uncle and cousin, Generals John B. Clark, Sr. and Jr., is sufficiently well known to Missourians to need no comment here.
Dr. Clark, though formerly a Whig, is now in the straight Democratic harness, and votes no other ticket, nor affiliates with any other party.
p. 1086 - WILLIAM R. COWDEN, M. D.
Dr. William R. Cowden, a reliable, competent and enterprising young physician, of Perche township, was born in Boone county, Missouri, November 7th, 1849. He is the son of Hezekiah, a well-to-do farmer of Perche township, who came to Missouri in 1837. The father of Hezekiah was Joseph Cowden, an Irishman. Hezekiah married Miss Elizabeth Inglehart, daughter of George J., only son of George Inglehart, a native of Germany, who came here during the revolutionary war as a soldier under Lord Cornwallis. Dr. William R. Cowden is one of nine children: James E. George W., Joseph, Alexander, Florenza, Margaret C., John N. and Mary. The father of Dr. Cowden died at the age of fifty-two. He was a zealous member of the Methodist church, and lived a pious, godly life.
The subject of this sketch was educated at the common schools of the country. Afterwards studied medicine under Dr. J. M. Shock, of Everett, whose biography appears elsewhere in this volume [did not find]. He then attended the lectures at the Medical College of Virginia. He entered college in 1874. After graduating from this institution he took a course of lectures at the Bellevue Hospital and Medical College, taking his degree from this institution in 1876. He was married in 1876 to Miss Emma J., daughter of John Bennett, of Richmond, Virginia. They have three children, Virginia, Willie M. and Etta Lee. The doctor is a member of the Christian church. He has a fine practice, and is universally esteemed by all who know him. He has accumulated considerable property and all his surroundings are of the most pleasant and encouraging nature.
The subject of this sketch was one of the pioneer preachers of the West, uniting within himself the qualifications of a minister and a physician. His opportunities for doing good were varied and extensive, and he discharged his whole duty to his fellow-man in the most cheerful and acceptable manner, leaving behind a memory of good works that will ever survive him. He came to Cedar township in 188, being among the first settlers of that portion of Boone county. He was born in Rutherford county, North Carolina, and it is said that he commenced preaching before he was nineteen years old. He also commenced the practice of medicine at an early age. In the month of December, 189, he with fifteen others met at the house of Anderson Woods for the purpose of founding a church, and were there and then constituted into what has since been known as the Little Bonne Femme Baptist church. He was pastor of New Salem Baptist church for twenty-nine years, having been chosen December 2d, 1828. He died of typhoid fever, July 29th, 1859. The congregation at New Salem erected a handsome monument over his grave as testimony of their great love for him as a man and their high appreciation of his services as a minister.
p. 717-18 - Alfred Head, M.D.
This gentleman is a native of Sumner county, Tennessee, born October 17th, 1815. His parents, Henry and Elizabeth Head, were both natives of Virginia. Dr. Head grew to manhood in the county of his birth, and received his non-professional education at the Rural Academy of Sumner county. His professional course was taken at the Nashville Medical University, and he began the practice in Benton county, Missouri, in 1843. He continued there till 1863, with the exception of about three or four years, from 1850 till 1854, which he spent in California. In 1863 he moved to Millersburg, Callaway county, Missouri, where he practiced medicine till 1881, his two sons being associated with him and doing a leading practice in that county. In the last mentioned year, Doctors Head located in Centralia, Boone county, Missouri, and are at this early succeeding date (1882) rapidly building a good practice. Dr. Head was married, in 1836, to Miss Rhoda L. Vincent, daughter of James and Clara Vincent of Sumner county Tennessee. There are five children of this marriage, Catharine A., Luvenia B., James H., Clara E., and Charles W. Dr. Head has been a Mason for over 17 years, and is in everything a worthy citizen and substantial man.
Is a son of Dr. Alfred Head, of Centralia, and was born in Benton county, Missouri, January the 30th, 1855. His education was received in this State, the elementary part being acquired in the common schools of his native county. His literary and academic course was taken at the University of Missouri in Columbia, and his professional course, at the Missouri Medical College, of St. Louis. He attended the latter institution in the years 1875, 1876 and 1877, graduating therefrom in the latter year. The same year he embarked in the practice of his noble profession with his father at Millersburg, Missouri, continuing there till 1881, when they located at Centralia in this county, where they are now in practice. Dr. Head has been a hard student, and labors faithfully to keep up in all the new developments of medical science. Young in years and highly educated, both professionally and generally, there is before him every prospect of a successful future.
"Dr. Eugene Wallace Herndon was born February 4th, 1836. He was educated at Franklin College, Tennessee, graduating as A.B. in class of 1852. In 1855 he received the degree of A.M. from the same institution. Graduated at the Nashville Medical College in 1855, being at the time but nineteen years old. After completing his medical education he came to Clarksville, Missouri, and began the practice of his profession. In 1859 he commenced the study of law. Took the degree of LL.D. at Harvard University in 1861. In 1859 he began the publication of the PIKE COUNTY UNION, at Clarksville, which he continued until 1860. He supported Bell and Everett for president and vice-president. Dr. Herndon was a Union man at the beginning of the war, but the violent _expression of Northern sentiment caused him to take sides with the South. He was not a "secessionist," but entered the army as a rebel. Assisted Col. Caleb Dorsey, of Pike county, in raising a regiment for service in the Missouri State Guard. Was appointed surgeon of this regiment. Left Pike county in December, under Col. Dorsey, to join Price's army, and was in the battle with Gen. Prentiss at Mt. Zion church, in this county, an account of which may be found elsewhere in this volume. Reached the Confederate army at Cove Creek, where he was regularly commissioned a surgeon by Governor Jackson and assigned to duty under Gen. Martin Green. He was afterwards division surgeon under Gen. Parsons. After the battle of Pleasant Hill, was made chief surgeon of all the forces in West Louisiana and a member of Gen. Bagley's staff. Was at Elkhorn, Farmington, Prairie Grove, Helena, Mansfield and Pleasant Hill. Surrendered at Shreveport, Louisiana, in the spring of 1865 and returned o Missouri. For the next year or two he followed farming in Pettis county, after which he came to Columbia, where he has remained ever since. From 1869 to 1870 was editor of the BOONE COUNTY JOURNAL. Dr. Herndon was married in 1865 to Miss Laura E. Ruby of Randolph county. She died in 1881, leaving no children. Dr. Herndon is a Mason. He is a member of the Council, of which he was first high priest, and also first high priest of the Chapter. He is a member of the Christian church and is now editor of the CHRISTIAN QUARTERLY REVIEW, a publication of 144 pages, and the only periodical of the kind published in the interest of that denomination."
The eminent gentleman -now numbered with the dead whose name heads this sketch was a native of Nelson county, Virginia, and was born February 20, 1802. He was educated at New Glasgow Academy, Amherst county, Virginia, and studied medicine in the office of an eminent physician of that State. After a two years course of reading, he attended the medical college at Philadelphia for two years; he received the degree of M. D. from the University of Pennsylvania, and returned to his old home to begin the practice. He quit the medical practice in 1832 and emigrated to Missouri. Dr. Jacobs was married in 1835, in Hampshire county, Virginia, to Miss Louisa Parsons. In 1845 he moved to Louisiana and located twenty miles from New Orleans, where he remained seven years. Returning then to Missouri, he settled in Boone county, where he resided till the time of his death, which occurred February 24, 1877. [On the same page, there is a sketch on David A. Jacobs, who is the son of Dr. G. R. Jacobs.]
p. 594 - DR. JAMES F. KEITH Dr. James F. Keith [J. Fabricius Keith, see bio following] was born in Livingston county, Missouri, January 18, 1849. He is the son of Dr. William and Martha J. (nee Lampton) Keith. The subject of this sketch left Missouri in the fall of 1863, going first to Arkansas, thence to Tennessee and Kentucky, and from the latter State back to Missouri, stopping at Sturgeon, in 1865, where he has lived continuously ever since, except the few years spent at the Medical College in St. Louis. He entered that institution in 1869, graduating two years later. He was assistant surgeon at the St. Louis hospital for six months, returning to Sturgeon in the fall of 1871. He practiced medicine with his father until the latters health failed, when he turned his entire business over to his son. He was married October 7, 1874, to Miss Dora, daughter of Alexander J. Turner, of Sturgeon. They have one child living, William F. Dr. Keith was not in the army. He belongs to no church. Is a member of the Knights of Honor, and is medical examiner for the order. He has served a number of insurance companies in the same capacity. He has the confidence and esteem of the entire community.
The gentleman whose name heads this sketch is a native of Scott county, Kentucky, born December 20th, 1806. The Keith family seem to have been of Scotch origin, George Keith, great grandfather of Dr. William, having been a native of Scotland. The Doctors grandfather was a native of Maryland. All the paternal ancestors from the great-grandfather down, bearing the name of George. Longevity seems to have been a characteristic of this family, as most of the ancestors lived to be past eighty years old, and the primary ancestor herein mentioned is said to have reached the remarkable age of one hundred and eleven years. Dr. R. lived with his father in his native county till about fifteen years old, when they removed to Bullitt county, Kentucky, where William remained till he was 22 years of age. At the age of about 12 he was taken down with white swelling in his right leg and confined to his bed a long time, even before he was able to go on crutches, which he subsequently did for a considerable length of time. At 15 years old, he put himself under treatment of a Scotch doctor names James H. Forester, and was soon enabled to do a little light work. At the age of 17, being desirous to be at some employment, and having a fair education, began teaching, his school being mostly composed, at first, of juvenile pupils, or a-b-c-darians. He succeeded so well as a teacher that his patrons retained him several years. At intervals, however, he would between terms go off to higher schools himself for short periods until he was about the age of 22 years. Having a desire to see the old friends and relatives and his native soil, he left his fathers, and made his way back. Having a good English education he engaged in the occupation of teaching school in various places. Finally made his stand in Mortonsville, Woodford county, where he studied medicine with Dr. Wm. M. Wilson, and in the year 1837-8, at Transylvania University, completed his preparation for the practice of medicine. After this he began to practice in connection with his preceptor, Dr. W., who died during this connection, and Dr. K. remained there in the practice till 1840, coming to Missouri that year. He first practiced for three or four years near Centralia. He was married, in 1844, to Miss Martha Jane Lampton, and moved to Chillicothe, Missouri, where he purchased a farm a few years later, and continued farming and practicing medicine in Livingston county for several years. He then moved back to Chillicothe in order that his children might enjoy the advantages of the schools of that city. When the civil war came on, Dr. Keith was forced to leave home, entrusting the care of his family to his oldest son, Clayton, then a lad of 16 years, and his mother. The Doctor went to the Confederate army and served as surgeon to Gen. Wm. Y. Slack till the latter was killed at Pea Ridge. Dr. Keith remained with the General till he expired, and then buried him in Fullbrights orchard, in order that there should be no difficulty in finding his remains. Subsequently he was employed as hospital surgeon till the fall of 1863, when he left the army, and accompanied by his family, who had joined him, repaired to Arkansas. They remained in that State from October, 1863, till April following, when they went to Kentucky and remained till the civil troubles were over. In October, 1865, the whole family returned to Missouri, locating at Sturgeon, in Boone county, where they continue to reside, Dr. K. resuming the practice of his profession and continuing till 1875. He then turned it over to his youngest son, J. Fabricius Keith, who had previously been practicing in the City Hospital. He continues the practice at Sturgeon, and is married to a Miss Turner, an amiable lady of good family, daughter of Alexander Turner, now of Sturgeon. Clayton Keith, the doctors oldest son, obtained a good education and entered the ministry, but was forced to give it up because of failing health. He then studied medicine and having prepared himself for the practice, was soon afterwards married to Miss Mary Bernard, of Louisiana, Missouri, where he is now located and practicing his profession Dr. Keith has good cause to be proud of his family, having reared them in that exemplary manner that fits them for the responsible duties of life.
Dr. Lenoir is a son of Walter Raleigh and Sarah E. (Bouchelle) Lenoir, and was born October 4, 1827, in Wilkes county, North Carolina. His father was born at Fort Defiance, North Carolina, March 15th, 1787, and died October 15th, 1844. His mother was born December 28, 1798 in Burke county, North Carolina, and died August 3d, 1875. They came to Boone county, Missouri, November 4th, 1834, and settled on a farm two and one-half miles north of Columbia. They are buried in the Columbia Cemetery. They were blessed with six children, two boys and four girls. Annie E. (deceased) wife of Boyle Jewell; Julia E., wife of Elder S. S. Church, of the Christian Church; Myra C., wife of Col. F. T. Russell; Dr. W. F.[sic]; Martha L., wife of T. A. Russell, attorney at law of St. Louis, and Slater E., prominent farmer of Boone county. Their grandfather was Gen. William Lenoir, of Old Fort Defiance, North Carolina. He was a prominent light in the politics of the old North State for sixty years, holding offices from justice of the peace up to president of the constitutional convention for remodeling the State constitution. He served many years in both houses of the legislature, and was for several terms respectively, president of the one, and speaker of the other. He was also for a number of years president of the Court of Common Pleas. He is buried at Fort Defiance, where an elegant monument was erected over his grave by an appreciative and grateful constituency. Dr. Walter T., our subject was educated at the State University, graduating from that institution in the class of 49. In 1850 he went to St. Louis and attended medical lectures at Popes Medical College, where he graduated in 1853, and returned to Columbia to practice his profession. From 1858 to 1861, he practiced in co-partnership with Dr. Wm. H. Duncan. He soon took rank with older physicians than himself, and today is reckoned among the States best. He has held a number of positions of honor and trust. From 1855 to 1862 he was treasurer of the State University and a member of the board of curators. Since 1856 he has been a member of the board of curators, physician and trustee of Christian College. He was appointed by Gov. B. Gratz Brown manager of the State Lunatic Asylum at Fulton, which position he held for four or five years. He has been an elder in the Christian Church since 1856, and is a Knight Templar, being at one time master of the lodge. He has been married twice, the first time to Miss Fannie C., daughter of James Shannon (at one time president of the University) May 29, 1856. By this union they had four children, three girls and one boy: Anna Sl, Eva D., James C., and Julia C. They were educated at Christian College and at the University. His first wife died April 13, 1864. She was a devoted member of he Christian Church, and a graduate of Bacon College, Kentucky. July 4, 1866, he was married to Miss Nannie J., daughter of Federal and Sarah Dunn Walker, of Howard county, Missouri. By this marriage they have one son, George W. Mrs. Lenoir is a graduate of Christian College and has been a member of the Christian Church since early childhood. Dr. Lenoir is yet in the prime of a vigorous, active manhood, and is a dignified, courtly gentleman of the old school.
The subject of this sketch was born in Randolph county, Missouri, April 27, 1832. His father, William Lockridge, was a native of Rockbridge county, Virginia. His mother was a native of Augusta county, Virginia. Her maiden name was Ruth Davis. The elder Lockridge died when his son was but sixteen or seventeen years of age, leaving him the sole support of his mother and three sisters. He had but little time to attend school and grew to manhood without being scarcely able to write his name. His sisters having married, and his mother dying when he was about twenty-one, he commenced his education in real earnest. He attended the St. Louis Medical College and Jefferson College, Philadelphia, graduating from the latter institution in 1856, and from the St. Louis Medical College the year following. He came to Sturgeon in the spring of 1857, where he was married the following November to Elizabeth A., daughter of Thomas Prather and granddaughter of Mrs. Cowan, one of the oldest citizens of Boone county. They have one child living, R. Lee. Have two sons dead. William died at the age of fourteen, Willard at the age of two and a half years. Dr. Lockridge built the first brick house ever erected in Sturgeon. He has an interest in the store conducted under the firm name of Goin & Lockridge. He has taken a lively interest in every enterprise calculated to promote the interests of the town in which he lives, and has lent a helping hand to every laudable undertaking which stood in need of such patronage. He is also liberal in his professional charges especially so to the poor, and in this way has done a great deal of good of which the world knows little or nothing at all. The doctor and his wife are both members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. (portrait at p. 325)
p. 913 - DR. A. W. McALESTER.
"Dr. Andrew Walker McAlester was born in Rocheport, Boone county Missouri January 1, 1841. He is the son of B. McAlester, a lumber merchant of Columbia. Dr. McAlester was partly educated in the common schools, completing his literary studies at the State University, where he graduated in 1864. He then read medicine under Dr. Norwood and attended the St. Louis Medical College where he received his degree in 1866. He also attended Rush Medical College, Chicago, and Bellevue, New York. In 1873, he visited Europe and attended he medical colleges at London and Paris. He also visited the schools of Germany. In 1872 was given the chair of surgery and obstetrics in the State University, which position he still holds. Is president of the Linton Medical Association. Has been a member of the American Medical Association. Is a Mason. Has been twice married. First in 1869 to Miss Iza Bell, of Springfield, Missouri. She died in 1870. He was again married in 1873 to Miss Sallie McConaty, of Boone county. They have three sons; Andrew W., Berry, and an infant. Dr. McAlester is a member of the Methodist Church."
Dr. James M. McComas, a prominent physician of Sturgeon, Missouri, was born at Newton, Kentucky, February 29, 1844. He is the son of C. L. and Clara McComas, the former a native of Virginia, the latter of Morgan county, Kentucky. His life, from early youth, has been an eventful one. His parents removed to the west when he was an infant, stopping first at Burlington, Iowa, moving next to Nebraska, where they remained a few years, thence to Illinois, where they both died, their deaths being with a short period of each other. Young McComas, being thus left n orphan, returned to his relatives in Kentucky, and remained a short time at Louisville and Covington, attending school. He next went to Philadelphia, and, at the early age of eleven years, embarked with his uncle on a voyage to South America, where he remained for a short time. Returning from the tropics, he spent the remainder of his youth in the States of Illinois, Iowa, Kentucky and Pennsylvania. Having no one to guide or counsel him, and being of an inquisitive temperament, and possessing withal, an unusual amount of vitality, he naturally acquired a wandering disposition, and sought wider fields of observation than the immediate vicinity in which he was left a helpless orphan. While yet a mere youth, he attended a course of medicine at the Missouri medical college, St. Louis, in the class of 1860 and 1861. He took one degree at the Pennsylvania medical college, Philadelphia, and two at the medical department of Central university, Louisville, Kentucky, where he graduated in 1875 with the degree of M.D. In 1880, he took the degree of M. D. at the Kentucky school of medicine, Louisville. Dr. McComas was married, September 26, 1867, to Miss Maggie, daughter of John and Catherine Rochford, large landholders of Sturgeon, Missouri. The Doctor has two children: Arthur Rochford and Edwin Gaillard. He belongs to no church. He is a member of the Masonic order. He is of Scotch-Irish origin. He has a large medical library, consisting of standard works and a large collection of recent publications by the most eminent authors of the profession. Notwithstanding the vast amount of medical literature constantly issuing from the press, he is a liberal purchaser of all that possess the least merit, and by this means he keeps fully abreast with all the recent discoveries made, and reported by the most eminent men in the profession. He believes in progress, and cherishes every new idea, and welcomes every new discovery calculated to benefit the race by alleviating human suffering. In addition to his medical library, he has a fine collection of literary works, including a full set of the American Cyclopedia. He has also a large electric battery of recent and most approved construction, with a fine assortment of electric attachments and appliances for use in his practice. He has been at Sturgeon for fifteen years and has built up a splendid practice. He is a member of the Linton medical association, also of the State association. He is a man of broad, liberal views, and a genial, courteous, entertaining gentleman. Mrs. McComas is a member of the Catholic church.
Dr. McGuire is a son of Levi and Susan (Martinie) McGuire and was born March 22, 1826, in Boone county, Missouri, on the farm now owned by Mrs. Sarah Stewart, eight miles east of Columbia, and a mile and a half south of St. Charles road. He lived upon the place until he was about ten years of age when his father bought the place where he is now living and removing his family thereto. He was educated principally in Boone county, beginning at the age of six at Roberts school house on the gravel road. His teacher there was a man named Beatty. Afterwards he went to school at Boonsboro, then on the eastern border of the county. He resided at home with his parents until 1851, when he went to Columbia and studied medicine with Drs. Lee and Spotswood. After reading with them two years, he went to Cincinnati, Ohio, and took two courses of lectures. In 1869-70 he attended Jefferson Medical College at Philadelphia. In 1861 he took sides with the South in her struggle against the North, and joined Prices army. He was at the battles of Dry Wood and Lexington. After the fight at Lexington he came back to Boone to recruit and was in all the little engagements in Boone county. In 1864 he went to Kentucky and joined Morgans command and stayed there until peace was declared and the flag he loved was forever furled. He began the practice of his profession at his old home and has lived there to the present time. He has a fine practice in a good neighborhood and is esteemed by all as a thorough gentleman. He is a Mason and his wife is a member of the Missionary Baptist church.
The subject of this sketch is a native of Ireland, having been born in County Donegal about the year 1832. He came to this country in 1841 and settled in Newark, Delaware, where he grew to manhood and received most of his education. In 1852 he was surveyor for several counties in Maryland. He was also engaged in teaching at the same time. In the summer of 1854 he came West and visited the States of Iowa, Nebraska, Minnesota and Wisconsin. Studied medicine under Dr. Alrich, at Fort Penn, Delaware, for about three years and took several courses of lectures at Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia. Travelled [sic] for sometime as correspondent of several Eastern papers. In the winter of 1855 he taught school in Iowa. The spring following came o Missouri and spent about one year in St. Louis county. In 1857 went to Bowling Green, Pike county, where he taught in a private school for one year. He was then engaged as principal of Bowling Green Academy and has charge of the institution from 1858 to 1860. Enlisted as a surgeon in the Federal army, April 24th, 1863, and served with the Gulf Department in 1864-5. Officiated as surgeon at Forts Livingston and Jackson. He quit the Federal service in 1866 and came to Marshall, Saline county, Missouri, where he practiced medicine for several months. In November 1866, he sold his property at Marshall and went to Malta Bend, in the western part of Saline county. The spring following he, with the assistance of J. R. Lunbeck, laid out the town of Malta Band, the doctor being the leading spirit in this enterprise and he recognized founder of this town. He remained at Malta Bend for two years, then bought a farm two miles south of that place. He lived on this farm until the fall of 1874, when he founded the town of Salt Springs, now on the line of the C. & A. railroad. This was in the summer of 1874. He and his brother-in-law, Arthur S. Lawrence, started a store containing a general assortment of dry goods and groceries. Remained at Salt Springs until 1876 when he came to Columbia, Missouri, but soon after returned to Saline. In 1877 he came to Rocheport, Boone county, and in the spring of 1878 came to Columbia and practiced his profession until 1880, when he bought a farm of 280 acres seven miles northeast of Columbia, on the old Mexico road, and 200 acres south of the Fulton road. In June, 1882, he was appointed United States examining surgeon by W. W. Dudley, commissioner. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian church. He is also a Mason. Was married August 16th, 1866, to a daughter of Solomon L. and Harriet S. (Morgan) Lawrence, of Wilton, Iowa. They have had three sons and two daughters: Fannie, Sophia D., Bernard, Stewart (deceased) and Lawrence. The father of Dr. McNutt died in Ireland in 1836 and his mother in Iowa in 1873. Dr. McNutt was the third child of a family of seven, all of whom, save the youngest, are living. The doctor, in addition to his medical education, is a fine literary scholar and a writer of considerable ability. At one time he was editor of the Dubuque HERALD, his brother, Samuel McNutt, being chief editor.
"Dr. McQuitty is a young man of fine attainments, having both a classical and medical education, and withal the confidence and esteem of all who know him. He was born in Boone county, Missouri, January 15th, 1852. His faher, Andrew J. McQuitty, was born in 1825, being the son of David McQuitty, one of the early pioneers of Missouri. The grandfather of Dr. McQuitty emigrated from Kentucky in 1811, settling first in St. Louis county. In 1813 he was an inmate of Pond's Fort. David, at this time, was with his father, Andrew, who subsequently entered the lands upon which Fielding W. Smith now resides. Andrew J. McQuitty, his grandson, settled part of the old Sexton farm. Dr. McQuitty is one of three children, two sons and one daughter. His brother, James, married Miss Annie Dysart, of Boone county. Since graduating at the Missouri State University, Dr. McQuitty has been actively engaged in the practice of his profession. The first year of his professional life was spent at Burlington, Boone county. Returning to his own neighborhood, in 1882, he formed a partnership with Dr. Lewis, at Woodlandville, at which place he now resides. He has acquired some nice property at this place and is prospering in his profession. Dr. McQuitty is firm and devoted to his principles, resolute and determined in all that he undertakes. He is a member of the Baptist church at New Providence, and has been earnest and devoted in his religious duties from early youth."
Dr. Martin was born February 7, 1835. He received a good common school education in the schools of his neighborhood. In 1854 he began the study of medicine, with his uncle, DR. Meredith Martin, of ST. Louis, and graduated from the St. Louis Medical College four years later, or in 1858. After his graduation, he practiced in Boone county for about five years. He spent the winter of 1863-64 in Bellevue Medical College, New York, from which noted institution he received a diploma in the spring of 1864. He then returned to Ashland, where, and in the county generally, he practiced his profession extensively until 1881, when he became president and superintendent of the Ashland Mill Company, and this position he still holds . May 11, 1859, Dr. Martin was married at Providence, Boone county, to Miss Annie Tuttle, a daughter of Judge Gilpin S. Tuttle. Of this union two children a son and a daughter, have been born. The doctor has been a member of North [sic] Salem Baptist church for about thirty years. [Children: Charles P. Martin and Eula Gay Martin]
The professional gentleman whose name heads this sketch is the son of Lincoln R. and Isabella Martin, and grandson of Wayne Martin, who came from Madison County, Kentucky, to St. Louis, Missouri, in 1816, and to Boone county in 1818. His grandfather was, therefore, one of the earliest settlers of the county and was one of the founders of the Bonne Femme Baptist church, who left it to found the New Salem church. Dr. Martins mother was a daughter of Abner Nichols, who came to Boone County in 1825, and he (R. S.) was born on a farm one-half mile from Ashland, this county, July 18, 1833. He was the second of a family of eight boys and two girls, five of the former and one of the latter still surviving , and all residing in this county. Dr. Martin attended the district schools in his boyhood, and thus acquired the elementary part of his education. In 1856, he began the study of medicine with his uncle, Meredith Martin, of St. Louis, and also attended the St. Louis Medical College, from which he graduated in 1858. In the winter of 1859-60, he took a course of lectures at the Jefferson Medical College in Philadelphia, from which he received his diploma in the spring of 1860. He had begun the practice of medicine in Ashland, in 1858, and returning there, after finishing his course, he resumed the practice, which he has built up to be both extensive and lucrative. He had not practiced to any extent, however, when the war came on and he entered the Confederate service as surgeon of the 6th Missouri regiment of infantry, Clarks division of Gen. Prices army. He was in the battles of Boonville and Pea Ridge, and after the latter, was assigned to the hospital service until May following, when he returned home. Dr. Martin was married, October 3d, 1860, to Mary L. Blanton, of Kentucky. Three sons and four daughters have been born to bless this union, all of whom survive at this writing. The doctor is a member of the New Salem Baptist church, and also of the Ashland lodge of A. F. and A. M.
Dr. Maupin is a native of Boone county, born April 17, 1839. His father, Wm. Maupin, was one of the first settlers of Missouri, coming here from Madison county, Kentucky, in 1816, settling first at Old Franklin, in Howard county. In 1819 he removed to Boone, when there were but a very few habitations or inhabitants either. He settled in Columbia, and was a wheelwright and housebuilder. W. T. Maupin was educated in the common schools of Boone county, and at William Jewell College, Liberty. In the summer of 1861 he joined Captain Peachers company, Col. M. G. Singletons battalion. He was in the engagements at Boonville, Drywood and Lexington. After the capture of Lexington, while General Prices army was retreating toward Southwest Missouri, he was taken sick in Johnson county and lay ill for about two months. Upon his recovery he returned to this county and spent the remainder of the fall of 1861, and the winter of 1861-2 in dodging Merrills Horse and other detachments of Federal troops. March 6, 1862, while on his way to Prices army, he was captured in Cooper county by some soldiers belonging to the command of Col. Eppstein, of Boonville. He was held a prisoner for thirteen months, the greater portion of the time in McDowell College, St. Louis, and at Alton, Ill. Upon his release on parole, his weight was reduced to eighty-seven and a half pounds. He returned home and took no further part in the war. Previous to his service with the Missouri army under General Price he took part in the affair at Fulton, known as the Fulton races. His brother, Robert L. Maupin, a graduate of the law school at Lebanon, Tenn., was a gallant Confederate officer, and served on the staff of General (now U.S. Senator) Cockerill, although he had but one arm, the other having been lost before the war. In 1863-4 Dr. Maupin attended the St. Louis Medical College. In 1864-5 he was at Jefferson College, Philadelphia, and graduated from that famed institution in the class of 1865. He located in the practice of his profession at Columbia, where he has since resided, making occasional trips to the far West for recreation, etc. The doctor has been very successful as a practitioner. He has devoted considerable attention to gynaecology [sic], and is renowned for his skill in and knowledge of that particular branch of Medical science. He is medical examiner of all the insurance organizations connected
p. 917 - JOSEPH GRANVILLE NORWOOD, M. D., LL. D.
"The subject of this sketch was born in Woodford county, Kentucky, December 20th, 1807. His father, Charles Norwood, was a native of Westmoreland county, Virginia, and the son of John Norwood, an English gentleman, who came to Virginia about the year 1740. Charles, the eldest son of John Norwood, was born in 1753 and was married in 1781 to Ann Dale, of Westmoreland county. He was a soldier of the revolutionary war. Three sons and two daughters were born of his marriage: Frederick, John, Frances, Charles and Ann. Upon the death of his first wife he removed to Kentucky with his family and a number of relatives. He first settled in Franklin county, but after several years he purchased and removed to a farm in Woodford, about five miles from Versailles and seventeen from Lexington. After his removal he married Mildred Dale, a sister of his first wife. Of the children of this marriage Joseph G. is the only survivor. During the war of 1812, Charles Norwood built and operated a powder mill for the purpose of supplying the American army. In 1815 he moved to a small farm near Lexington where he spent the remainder of his life, dying in 1832.
"When quite young the subject of his sketch became a pupil of the graded school of Aldrich & Vaughn at Lexington. It was the fixed purpose of the elder Norwood that his son should become a physician, while the boy was equally determined to become a printer. The conflict of wishes between he father and son resulted in the son being placed with Mr Jacob Winn, a private banker and manufacturer of bale-rope and bagging. He remained with Mr. Winn for one year. The elder Norwood recognizing the bent of his son's mind, now made arrangements with Mr. John Bradford, of the Lexington ADVERTISER, by which he would be allowed to enter his printing office for the purpose of learning the trade for which he had previously shown such an earnest predilection. After working several years in this office he changed to the Kentucky WHIG, published by Nelson Nicholas. Mr. Nicholas died soon after young Norwood entered his office and when the material was sold he bought it of the administrator, Hon. R. Hawes. Seeing an opportunity to dispose of the property to good advantage, young Norwood soon after sold the office and subscription list to Thomas Smith, editor the Kentucky REPORTER. Mr. Norwood now left Lexington and spent nearly a year in travelling in the Southern and Eastern states, returning in the fall of 1827. Soon after his return to Kentucky he went to Cincinnati, and purchased material for a book and job office. There was no lack of work in the way of books and periodicals and the publishing house soon became a popular and paying business. In 1830, Mr. Norwood formed a partnership with James W. Palmer, who insisted on moving the publishing house to Louisville, which in the end proved to be a serious mistake, as Mr. Norwood had predicted from the start. Mr. Palmer offered to purchase his partner's interest in the business, and his offer was accepted. Mr. Norwood then entered a commission house conducted by a relative, but soon found that he knew nothing about the business, with little inclination to learn. He therefore withdrew from the firm and returned to Lexington with the fixed determination to devote himself to the study of medicine and the cognate sciences.
"He accordingly entered Transylvania College and earnestly applied himself to the study of medicine. He opened an office at Madison, Indiana, in March, 1835, and continued to practice his profession until about the close of January following, when he returned to Lexington and graduated the spring following. In 1840 he was called to the Madison Medical Institute and appointed to the chair of surgery. In 1843 he was chosen to fill the chair of materia medica, general therapeutics and medical jurisprudence in the medical department of the University of St. Louis. He remained with this institution until the spring of 1847 when he resigned to accept a place of assistant United States geologist for he country now embraced in Wisconsin, Iowa, Minnesota and Dakota. The survey lasted until 1851. In 1851 he received the appointment of State geologist for Illinois, and continued in this survey until the spring of 1858, when he was removed from office by the newly elected Republican governor. In the spring of 1858 he was invited by Prof. G. C. Swallow to take the place of an assistant in the geological survey of Missouri and accepted the offer. He continued in this survey until 1860, when he was elected to the chair of natural science in the University of Missouri. He accepted the place and has been a member of the faculty ever since.
"He has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Louisa Taylor, daughter of a merchant, formerly of Richmond, Virginia. Her mother's maiden name was Lotspeich, being of Holland origin. Two sons and one daughter were born of this marriage. The daughter is living, the widow of Col. J. A. Hendricks, of Indiana, who was killed at Pea Ridge. The eldest son died of small-pox in 1831. Mrs. Norwood and her youngest son died of cholera, at Lexington, Kentucky, in 1833. In 1837 Dr. Norwood was married to Mary Frances, a daughter of Mr. John Pugh, of Madison, Indiana. Three sons and five daughters were born of this marriage. Two of the sons and one daughter died in infancy. The third and youngest son, Charles J. Norwood, was for some years engaged in the State geological surveys of Missouri and Kentucky, and was formerly professor of natural science in Bethel College, at Russellville, Kentucky. He is now editor of the HERALD-ENTERPRISE, Russellville, Kentucky. He married Miss Sallie White, daughter of Hon. Dougherty White, of Lancaster, Kentucky. Four of the daughters of this last marriage are living, and three of them are married. Louise is the wife of Mr. Overton A. Fitch, of Madison, Indiana. They have one child, now in his sixteenth year. Eliza Boone is the wife of Mr. Henry McConathy of Columbia. They have four children, two sons and two daughters. Emma is the wife of John D. Vincil, D.D., of St. Louis. They have one son. In the year of 1862, during the occupancy of the University building by Federal troops, Dr. Norwood visited the building every day and remained there protecting the property of the University. It may be well to say that, during these years, he has the reputation of having always done his duty according to his strength and ability."
p. 1127 - DR. J. W. POINTS
The subject of this sketch is the son of Dr. Joseph Points, who was born in Bourbon county, Kentucky, January 7th, 1797. His father and mother, Arthur and Ellen Points, were old settlers of that State. Joseph studied medicine in Fayette county, under Doctors Witherspoon and Ennis, and subsequently practiced his profession in that locality, remaining in Fayette county until 1836, when he came to Boone county, Missouri, and bought the farm where the subject of this sketch now resides. He continued the practice of medicine until his death, July 28th, 1875. There are now over forty physicians actively employed in the territory in which he once had the exclusive practice. He was married in Fayette county, Kentucky, September, 1819, to Miss Sallie, daughter of Joseph and Nancy Robinson. Eleven children, five sons and six daughters, were born of his marriage. Four of the children are now living. Mrs. Points was born December 28th, 1798, and is still living, at the advanced age of eighty-four years, retaining much of her former vigor and cheerfulness.
Dr. J. W. Points, the subject of this sketch, was born in Fayette county, Kentucky, November 24th, 1834. When in his second year, his father removed to Boone county, Missouri. He was educated at the common schools, and read medicine under his father and Dr. Lee Brown. He made his home on the old Points homestead and has succeeded to a large portion of his fathers practice. He was married, December 7th, 1855, to Miss Cordelia A., daughter of Samuel and Jane Huddleston, of Boone county. They have two children, William H., and Mary Elizabeth, who is now the wife of J.W. Grady, of this county. The first wife dying in 1864, Dr. Points was again married in 1874, to Mrs. Elizabeth Schell, of Cole county, Missouri. They have no children by this marriage. Dr. Points has been a citizen of Boone county all his life, except about six years spent in Cole county, Missouri. He is a member of the Methodist Church South. His father was likewise a zealous member of the same church. His mother is also a Methodist.
p. 938 - DR. A. W. ROLLINS, DECEASED.
Dr. Anthony Wayne Rollins was born in Westmoreland county, PA, March 5, 1783. His father, Henry Rollins, was a native of County Tyrone, Ireland, and came to America during the Revolutionary war, in which he took a part on the side of the Colonies. Among other engagements in which he participated, he was at the battle of Brandywine. Dr. A. W. Rollins was reared amidst the disadvantages of poverty, and was thrown at an early period upon his own resources to fight the battle of life. Possessing a firm physical constitution and good native intellect, he went resolutely to work with a strong purpose to achieve success and to win a respectable position amongst men. By alternately working on a farm and attending such primitive schools as were at that early day to be found in the country, he gained the rudiments of a good common school education, which enabled him to become a schoolmaster himself. In this useful and honorable employment he was engaged until he got sufficiently ahead with ready means to enter Jefferson College, at Connonsburg, Pennsylvania, where he successfully completed his education. In 1803 or 1804 he went to Kentucky and lived successively in the counties of Bourbon, Fayette and Madison, engaging in school teaching and pursuing the study of medicine. He engaged in practice as a physician in Richmond, the county seat of Madison county, which he made his permanent home for twenty-five years.
On the 18th day of April, 1811, he was united in marriage to Miss Sallie Harris Rodes, the second daughter of Judge Robert Rodes, a prominent and distinguished citizen of Madison county, and a sister of the venerable Colonel William Rodes, of Richmond, and also of Major Clifton Rodes, now residing at Danville, Kentucky. She was a lady of refined and beautiful character, and the union was one which bought great contentment and happiness to the parties. By this marriage there were seven children, of whom only two are not living the eldest, the Honorable James S. Rollins, of Columbia, Missouri, and the youngest Mrs. Sarah H. Burnam, the elegant and accomplished wife of the Honorable Curtis F. Burnam, graduate of Yale College, and a distinguished lawyer of Kentucky.
In the spring of 1830, his eldest daughter, Eliza, having made a marriage engagement with Dr. James H. Bennett, then residing in Columbia, Missouri, and the health of Dr. Rollins failing, he determined to emigrate with his family to Missouri. Having purchased a fine body of land, partially improved, in the western part of Boone county, about four miles north of the Missouri river, he came and took possession of it in the spring of 1830, and pursued steadily thereafter the profession of agriculture until his death, which occurred at Richland, his residence in Boone county, on the 9th day of October, 1845, in the sixty-third year of his age. He was buried at the family cemetery with Masonic honors, of which ancient order he had been a life-long member; but his remains, with those of his affectionate wife, were afterwards removed to the Columbia Cemetery, where they now rest. Dr. Rollins took great interest in the establishment of schools, in building churches and in all other enterprises calculated to improve the social and physical condition of the people among whom he lived. His services in behalf of the State University are set down in the history of that institution, on other pages of this work. What is known as the Rollins Aid fund was created by him pursuant to the following provision of his last will and testament:
Item 7th Having felt the great disadvantages of poverty in the acquisition of my own education, it is my will that my executors, hereinafter named, shall, as early after my death as them may deem expedient, raise the sum of $10,000 by the sale of lands of which I may die seized, and which I have not especially bequeathed in any of the foregoing items, which sum of $10,000 I desire may be set aside for the education of such poor and indigent youths of Boone county, male and female, as are not able to educate themselves.
The principal of this sum, by careful management under the direction of the County Court of Boone county, has increased to $30,000, three-fourths of the annual interest upon which sum is annually expended in giving aid to such young men and women as desire to obtain an education at the State University, and the remaining one-fourth of the interest is added regularly to the principal. Already some hundreds of pupils have received substantial aid from this source, without which they would not have been able to prosecute their studies.
Dr. Rollins was a man of fine presence and noble mien, and cordially admired for his genial manner and high character. The engraving on another page is from a portrait by Bingham, now in the library of the University, and is said to be a good likeness of the distinguished subject. (Rollins portrait p. 254).
p. 675-6. - DR. JOHN T. ROTHWELL
Dr. Rothwell was born in Garrard county, Kentucky, July 1, 1840. His father, Fountain Rothwell, a native of Virginia, now resides in the above named county, where he has spent the greater part of his life, being a large farmer and stock-raiser. His mother, JENNIE ROTHWELL, WAS A NATIVE OF Kentucky, and a daughter of Naaman Robberts, an officer in the war of 182. John was the fifth child and fourth son of a family of seven children. Of his brothers, Rev. W. A. Rothwell, M.D. now resides in Moberly; James M. Rothwell was captain in the Federal army, and is now an extensive coal miner in Kentucky; Samuel D. Rothwell was a lieutenant in the Federal army; Gideon B. Rothwell is now living on the old homestead in Kentucky. His sister is the wife of Rev. W. A. Cravens, of Carthage, Missouri. The doctor received a liberal education in his native State, graduating at Danville Central College in 1857. He commenced the study of medicine in March, 1858, with Dr. W. A. Rothwell, who then lived in Callaway county, Missouri, and continued with this gentleman until May, 1860, entering the St. Louis Medical College in the fall of the latter year. He was married in St. Louis to Miss Anna M. Cuthbert, daughter of Mrs. Cuthbert, principal of Cuthbert Academy, St. Louis, Missouri. In March, 1861, he commenced the practice of his chosen profession in Boone county, Missouri. During a part of the years 1861 and 1862 he was surgeon in the Confederate army; he then resumed the practice in this county, and continued it until the year 1874, when he went to Colorado with his invalid wife. Returning from that State two years later, he again commenced the practice in Ashland, this county, where he still lives. He was again married May 2, 1860, to Miss Savilla J. Ruffner, who was a daughter of Peter J. Ruffner, a large farmer and one of the early settlers of Boone county. Of this marriage one son and one daughter were born, of whom the son is still living. Dr. Rothwell is now practicing with Dr. W. T. Lemon; is a member of the Methodist church and of the town council of Ashland; an excellent physician, and an estimable citizen.
p. 1096 - JOHN M. SHOCK, M. D.
Dr. John M. Shock is a native of Boone county, Missouri. He is the son of David S. Shock, one of the early and substantial pioneers, a Kentuckian by birth, and a native of Fayette county. The father of David Shock was a Virginian and a soldier under Mad Anthony Wayne, in his famous campaign against the French and Indians. He remained in the army for three years. The Shocks are of French origin. The father and grandfather of Dr. Shock were members of the regular Baptist church. The subject of this biography was born one and a half miles north of Columbia, August 16th, 1824. He was brought up on the farm and attended the common schools of the country, which in his day were none of the best, but by close application he mastered the studies then taught in our district schools and became a teacher. After six years of diligent labor in the school room, he attended Popes Medical College in St. Louis, where he graduated in 1858. Returning from St. Louis, he commenced the practice of his profession in the neighborhood where he now resides. He has had all the practice he could attend to in the last quarter of a century. He is still in the prime of vigorous manhood, and at this writing is equal to the labor of the busiest year of his life. He has prospered in business almost from the start. He owns over five hundred acres of very fine land besides other valuable property. He was married in 1852 to Miss Sallie A. Sheley, daughter of Ransom Sheley, of Callaway county, Missouri. One child was born of this marriage. The first wife died three years after marriage and the doctor chose for his second wife Miss Catherine Ritchie, of Kentucky. She died in 1860, leaving one child. He was married the third time to Miss Sallie J. M. McQuitty, daughter of George McQuitty, a prominent farmer of Boone county. They have four children by this marriage, one son and three daughters. Dr. Shock is a zealous and influential member of the Baptist church and a teacher in the Walnut Grove Sunday school. He is a member of the Everett Grange, also a member of the Rocheport lodge of A.F. and A.M. His life has been a success. He is, in the strictest sense of the tem, a self-made man. (Shock portrait p. 106).
P. 677 - FELIX GRUNDY SITTON, M.D.
Dr. Sitton is the son of J.T. and Priscilla (May) Sitton, and was born on a farm two miles from Fulton, Callaway county, Missouri, March 8, 1822. His father was a native of Tennessee, and his mother of Kentucky, though they came to Missouri in an early day, where they became acquainted and were married. Dr. Felix G. was the eldest of a family of four sons and one daughter, the latter being deceased. One of the brothers resides at Ashland, in this county, and the other, Albert G. Sitton, is in the medical practice at Claysville. The subject of this sketch attended the common schools of his native county, and acquired a knowledge of algebra, natural philosophy, etc., at the school of Mr. Woodsworth, near Williamsburg. At that time he was eighteen years old. For the next two years he engaged in teaching, also continuing his studies in private. In the spring of 1845 he commenced the study of medicine under D. E. Rackliffe, of Portland, Callaway county, at the same time earning the means to prosecute his studies by his own industry. Two years later he went to St. Louis, where he finished his medical course and received his diploma from the St. Louis Medical College. He began the practice four miles north of Ashland in 1849, boarding first in the family of Mr. Strode, and practicing in that part of the county. In 1855 he moved to Ashland, where he has since resided and practiced his profession. June 14, 1846, he enlisted in Capt. Rogers company of Col. Doniphans regiment, and served in the Mexican war in the Army of the West, under Gen. Kearney. On account of failing health, however, he was discharged from service, and returned home in August. In the following May, his health being recovered, he went to ST. Louis to continue his studies in the hospitals. Dr. Sitton was first married January 4, 1853, to Miss Susan Strode, daughter of Jacob S. and Frances Strode. She died September 14, 1871, having borne 1852, and twenty-two years of that time he has served as moderator. He is an active temperance man and a strong prohibitionist. The historians of this work are much indebted to Dr. Sitton for a detailed history of new Salem church, of which he has been so long a member.
"The worthy subject of this sketch, who has served Missouri so long and faithfully in a scientific capacity, was born in Buckfield, Oxford county, Maine, in 1817, and is a descendant of a Norman-French family named Sevallieu, whose chief marched with William the Norman into England. One branch emigrated from France to New Orleans, while another came from England to New England, Prof. Swallow being a scion of the latter family. Early in life young George took a deep interest in the mysterious science of geology. He entered Bowdoin College, from which he graduated in 1843, with high honors and was immediately chosen lecturer in his alma mater on the subject of botany. In 1848 he established an agricultural college at Hampden, Maine, having obtained aid from the State for that purpose. He was elected professor of chemistry and geology in the Missouri University in 1850, and 1853 was appointed the first State geologist Missouri ever had. His first official report was published in 1855. He first determined, located and mapped out the boundaries of the geological formations of Missouri, and their mineral contents, as published in his reports and Campbell's Atlas of Missouri, which reports have been followed by later investigators in working out the minor details of our State's geology. During the war-time the business of the State University and the geological survey were so much broken up that, in 1865, Prof. Swallow accepted an appointment as State geologist of Kansas, and continued in that work two years. He had previously, in 1858, discovered and determined rocks in Kansas belonging to the Permian group of geological series. This was the first time that rocks of this age were shown to exist in America; and this discovery by Prof. Swallow, together with his reports on the geology of Missouri and Kansas, and papers read before the American Association, gave him a high rank and honorable recognition among the learned societies and savans of America and Europe. "In 1870 the University of Missouri was enlarged, reconstructed and reorganized on the true university plan -- with coordinate schools or colleges of literature, science, art, law, medicine, mines and agriculture. Dr. Swallow was appointed to the chair of natural history and agriculture and made dean of the agricultural college. "In June, 1882, Prof. Swallow was removed from his chair in the University as he claims for his persistent efforts of preserve the agricultural college and its funds in their integrity, and on charges which he was not permitted to hear and rebut, and many of which are proved to be false by the official records of the University, the agricultural college and the State Board of Agriculture. [see history of University prepared by Col. Switzler.] For nearly thirty years past he has been a working and leading member of the agricultural and horticultural societies of the State, their very existence having grown out of his urgent and eloquent advocacy of such organizations as early as 1852. He has also been an active member of the "American Association for the Advancement of Science," and has taken an honored and leaving part in many of its profoundest discussions. He has always been a staunch opponent of "Darwinism," or the materialistic phase of the doctrine of evolution. His most persistent and useful work is, perhaps his study and classification of Missouri soils as shown by his numerous publications on their chemical and physical properties, and the best modes of culture for the staple crops of the Mississippi valley."
p. 1059-60 - WILLIAM PLEASANT VIA
William Pleasant Via, M. D., was born in Albermarle county, Virginia, August 12th, 1842. His parents removed to Boone county, Missouri, in 1845. He was raised on a farm, attending the common schools until 1864, when he commenced the study of medicine under Dr. John M. Shock, of Everett, Boone county, Missouri. In 1866-67 he attended lectures at the Ohio Medical College, Cincinnati. In 1870-71, he attended medical lectures at Popes College, St. Louis, graduating from that institution in March, 1871. After practicing his profession in various places, and making a tour through the Western and Northwestern States, he returned to Boone county in 1877 and resumed his former practice in the vicinity of Midway, at which place he is permanently located. He has the patronage of a fine district of country, getting all the practice he can attend to. In addition to his regular practice, he is county physician, having the care of all patients at the county prison and infirmary. He was married June 9th, 1877, to Miss Emma E., daughter of J. H. Ravenscraff, of Boone county. They have two children, Hugh Breinerd and Guy Forrest. Dr. Via is a member of Twilight lodge, No. 144, A. F. and A. M., Columbia, Missouri. He was a Confederate soldier during the civil war, having enlisted under Col. Harvey McKinney in 1861, serving until the winter of 1864.
p. 970 - DR. B. A. WATSON
Dr. Berry Allen Watson was born in Charlotte county, Virginia, January 28th, 1834. He moved with his father to Callaway county in 1840. He graduated at Westminister College, Fulton, in 1857, with the degree of A.B. After graduating, he taught school. Was principal of Dover Academy, in Lafayette county Missouri, until 1860. During the war served for a while in Capt. Jo. Shelbys company. From 1863 to 1864 he attended Louisville and Bellevue Medical colleges, graduating at the later place in 1866. Located at Millersburg, Callaway county, where he practiced for three years. In 1871 came to Columbia, where he still resides. Dr. Watson was married May 4th, 1864, to Clara E. Ward, of Callaway county. They have six children, all living. Mrs. Watson is a member of the Baptist church. Dr. Watson is a Mason. He is also a member of the Boone county and District Medical Association.
p. 969-70 - DR. LEMUEL WATSON
Dr. Watson belongs to a family, whose male members are or have been, to a considerable extent, prominent physicians. His grandfather, Wm. Watson, was a native of London, England, and a cousin to Sir Thomas Watson, the eminent English physician and medical author, who was chief physician by appointment to Her Majesty the Queen. Sir Thomas still lives in London, at an advanced age. Wm. Watson came to America before the revolutionary war. He settled in North Carolina, on Edenton Sound, near the Cowan river. Being a stout Whig, or rebel, he had his property desroyed and his home broken up by the British soldiers under Cornwallis command. He removed to a plantation on the James river, in Virginia, and was again burned out by King Georges men.
Dr. Lemuel Watson was born in Orange county, North Carolina September 2d, 1824. He was educated in the common schools of his neighborhood and at Jackson College, Middle Tennessee. He came to the latter State when young, and remained until May, 1849, when he removed to Missouri. His first location was in Clay county, and he afterwards resided in Clinton and Buchanan counties. He came to Columbia in the fall of 1863. In 1874 he located in Lexington and remained until the spring of 1881. Then, April 1, he returned to Columbia, where he still resides. Dr. Watson, inheriting the family disposition, decided, upon reaching maturity, to become a physician. He first began the study medicine under his brother, Dr. John D. Watson, of Clay county. In 1851 to 1852 he attended lectures at Popes Medical College, St. Louis. After practicing about seventeen years, in 1869 he attended the Jefferson Medical College, Philadelphia, and in 1870 received a diploma and an honorary degree the best that could be obtained in that celebrated school. The doctor is a believer in electricity as a therapeutic agent, and has always employed it when practicable. In 1879 he added the vitalizing electro-thereapeutic cabinet bath as an auxiliary to his ordinary course of treatment of disease. The doctor is well versed in the science of electricity and claims for his bath (for which he is the sole agent in Boone county) that it is made for the use of physicians in their practice as an auxiliary to medicine in the treatment of both acute and chronic diseases, thereby increasing their armamenta medicamentorum a hundred fold, enabling them to treat cases successfully that have defied the most skillful treatment with medicine alone. Owing to the diversity of applications that can be made with electricity in this bath, combined or uncombined with hot vapor and hot dry air, many diseases yield readily to the bath treatment alone, yet a judicious system of medication is approved in conjunction with the bath. As to the effect of the bath, Dr. Watson maintains that in diseased conditions of the body it cleanses the skin and opens the pores; equalizes the circulation and relieves congestion; preserves health and prevents disease, purifies the blood by removing the impurities which accumulate in the fluids and tissues of the body; imparts vigor to the system and strength to the mind; removes morbid sensations and strengthens the nerves. If you are tired and worn, it will refresh and invigorate. Will establish more natural appetite, complete digestion, pure secretions, perfect assimilation, more complete nutrition. Will make you richer by giving you health. He has great success in the treatment of disease by this method.
Dr. Watson has been twice married. His first wife was Miss Susan Smith, of Ray, to whom he was married December 23d, 1853. By this union there were four children, two of whom are now living, one, Dr. Claude Watson, a rising young physician of Kansas City, and the other, Miss Lulu Watson, at home with her father. Mrs. Susan Watson died in July, 1860, and the doctor was subsequently married to his present wife, who was Mrs. Anna Stone, a native of Kentucky. There are no children of this marriage. The doctor and his family are members of the Christian church and useful and honored members of society.
p. 689 - DR. HENRY W. WHIPPLE
Dr. Henry W. Whipple is a native of Illinois, having been born in Alton, April 12th, 1842. He is the son of P. B. and Elizabeth (Williams) Whipple. Was educated at Sedgwick Institute, Great Barrington, Berkshire county, Massachusetts. Graduated in the scientific department of that institution in 1862. Came back to Alton, and in August following, joined company G Ninety-seventh Illinois volunteers. Was at Chickasaw Bluffs, Fort Hindman, Port Gibson, Raymond, Champion Hills, Black River Bridge, Vicksburg and Jackson. Afterwards was in the hospital department, where he remained most of the time until the close of the war. Returning to Illinois, he settled on a farm which his father had given him at Montgomery. Went to farming and practicing in that vicinity, but having been wounded during the war by a piece of shell, which struck his knee, he was compelled to give up farming, as the labors incident to farm life aggravated the wound and gave him much pain. During his stay at Montgomery, he was elected a justice of the peace. He attended a course of lectures at St. Louis Medical College, but did not graduate. Moved from Illinois to Bates county, Missouri, where he went into the drug business. His brother was with him in the business and practiced medicine during the four years spent in that county. The subject of this sketch also practiced, but not steadily. Dr. Whipple next went to Madison county, Arkansas, where he practiced his profession for a few months, and from there he came to Boone, settling at Burlington, where he has remained ever since. Was married, April 12th, 1866, to Margaret L., daughter of C. F. and Catharine Powers, of Michigan. Have one son, Henry F. The doctor is a member of the Methodist church, also of the United Workmen. The Whipples trace their origin back to the remote past. One of the family signed the Declaration of Independence. The doctor has a good practice and is doing well."
p. 973 - DAVID H. YOUNG, M. D.
"Was born in Boone county, Missouri, July 3, 1856. His father, Archibald L. Young, was also a physician, and was a native of Jessamine county, Kentucky, born September 30, 1829. He was one of a family of seven children, six sons, and a daughter. Himself and all his brothers studied medicine, and five out of six became practicing physicians. Their only sister married a medical doctor, and their father -- grandfather of the subject to this sketch -- was also an M.D. Dr. Archibald L. Young, tood his first degree at the Transylvania University of Lexington, Kentucky, and the next at the New York (city) College of Physicians and Surgeons, graduating from both these institutions. He practiced in the city hospitals for two years after his graduation before returning to Kentucky. He only remained a short time in his native State, when he came out to Missouri and located for the practice at Fulton, Callaway county. During his residence there, he was physician of the deaf and dumb asylum, and assistant physician of the lunatic asylum. His coming to Fulton was in about 1849, and he remained till the spring of 1856, when he moved to Columbia, this county, where he remained till his death on February 23, 1869. He had married, in 1853, Miss Sarah Hickman, daughter of Capt. D. M. Hickman, one of the early settlers of Boone county. Five children were born of that marriage, the subject of this sketch being the oldest. The others were named respectively, Matie, Archibald, Cornelia and Sallie, all living expect Mattie, who died when only two years old.
"Dr. D. H. Young was educated at the Kemper Institute, Boonville, Mo. and the State University, at Columbia. He studied medicine with Dr. A. W. McAlester, of Columbia, and also took the medical course of the University. He received the degree of M.D. from the Missouri Medical College of St. Louis in 1877. Returning to Columbia, he practiced medicine for two years then went and took a course at Bellevue Medical College, of New York, from which he came back to Columbia and resumed the practice, in which he continues at this writing."