Serving genealogists for 48 years!
The Genealogical Society of Boone County and Central Missouri, aka "GSCM" is a non-profit organization founded in 1975.
The objectives and purposes of the Society are educational. It is devoted to furthering genealogical research and promoting interest in family history in the central Missouri area. Persons interested in the Society and its objectives are encouraged to join.
The library is open on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday each week, with the hours of 12-4. Due to volunteer staffing limitations, please contact us in advance to make sure a volunteer will be on duty to open the library. info@BooneCoMoGen.org
ENJOY OUR CURRENT NEWSLETTER and download it to your computer so the links work. CLICK HERE
We are proud of our library and encourage you to visit us when in the area. If you cannot visit, we do offer look-ups from the holdings in our collection.
If you are traveling a long distance to visit our library, please contact us ahead of time. Hours and available volunteers are subject to change. info@BooneCoMoGen.org
ADDRESS: 3801 Ponderosa St, Columbia, MO 65201 Inside the "Boone County History & Culture Center"
Membership Benefit update: Current members now have digital access to ALL past issues of The Reporter, published 1981 to the present. Please log in to Members Only area to access these.
Members receive a bi-monthly newsletter by email and four issues of the Quarterly Reporter by postal mail each year.
RESEARCH REQUESTS We are pleased to conduct brief research, for a small fee, using the holdings we have in our library. For more information please click here.
- We welcome anyone with an interest in their family histories to become a member of GSCM. To download our printable membership brochure, click here.
- Meetings are on the THIRD SATURDAY of the month, 1:00 pm "in person" and located at our "home base", the Boone County History and Culture Center, 3801 Ponderosa Dr, Columbia, Occasionally we will offer the opportunity to attend remotely by Zoom.
- Your regular attendance and participation will make our society more useful and enjoyable to you and all other members! Bring a friend!
- To provide improved public access to information from central Missouri counties which is currently inaccessible.
- To educate membership in the use of technological advances pertaining to genealogical research.
- promote genealogical workshops, seminars and forums;
- provide up-to-date equipment for the extraction of information
- To improve the out-reach services to members; i.e., queries, information, assistance.
- To seek out information on central Missouri counties which is currently unavailable.
- To cooperate with existing central Missouri historical and genealogical societies in the compilation of information.
- To maintain and expand a Library of research material sufficient to meet the needs of researchers.
- Thank you to our web administration team members:
- Nancy Waller Thomas, Thresa Chism, and Vikki Pauley.
- The Bur Oak Tree, shown in our website banner, is the oldest known tree of its kind in Missouri. It is estimated to be 350 years old and is located near McBaine, Boone County, MO. The photo was taken by member Thresa Chism.
December GSCM meeting - Christmas Dinner and Elections
Come join GSCM for the annual Christmas cheer - join us for a meal at the Boone History and Culture Center; turkey dinner with the trimmings, catered. DINNER RESERVATIONS REQUIRED ...
January GSCM meeting - Breaking Down Brick Walls
Can't figure out where grandpa was born? Can't find that great uncle in the census? Bring your puzzling questions and let's brainstorm how to break down those bumps in the ...