Serving genealogists for over 40 years!
The Genealogical Society of Boone County and Central Missouri, aka "GSCM" is a non-profit organization founded in 1975. The
objectives and purposes of the Society are educational. It is devoted to furthering genealogical research and promoting interest in family history in the central Missouri area. Persons interested in the Society and its objectives are
encouraged to join.
T-Shirts with our new GSCM logo
. We have a limited supply of yellow/gold T-shirts for sale and the price has now been reduced to $10, plus shipping. Sizes available, while supplies last: L, XL, and 2XL. All cotton. Order online, or stop by our library located inside the Boone County Historical Museum and Galleries.
Looking for the perfect gift? We have a large selection of books related to Boone County that are available in our STORE link. One example is the 1875 Atlas of Boone County. Those who contributed to the publishing of the atlas appear in a list, along with the section, township and range of their residence. The bonus information includes the year they came to Boone County, and their nativity. This is an excellent source of information. While supplies last the book is $5, plus postage.
Click here for a link to atlases we sell. Use the drop-down menu in the STORE to find other categories of books we sell.
Membership Benefit update: Current members now have digital access to ALL past issues of The Reporter, published 1981 to the present. Please log in to Members Only area to access these. Members receive a bi-monthly newsletter by email and four issues of the Quarterly Reporter by postal mail each year.
OUR LIBRARY We are proud of our library and encourage you to visit us when in the area. If you cannot visit, we do offer look-ups from the holdings in our collection.
We are pleased to conduct brief research, for a small fee, using the holdings we have in our library. For more information please click here.
We welcome anyone with an interest in their family histories to become a member of GSCM. To download our printable membership brochure, click here.
Unless otherwise indicated, meetings are regularly held at the Boone Electric Cooperative Community Room on the first Tuesday of the month. Meetings generally start at 7:00 p.m. and include a presentation or discussion that lasts until around 9:00 p.m.
Located south of I-70 and north of Business Loop 70 at 1413 Rangeline Street on the west side of the road. (Use the parking lot on north side of the building). This location is for the monthly meetings ONLY. If you wish to research at the library you need to go to the 3801 Ponderosa Street location.
Your regular attendance and participation will make our society more useful and enjoyable to you and all other members! Bring a friend!
- The June meeting is our Picnic on the Veranda. Meet on the veranda of the Boone County Historical Museum for a great evening of food and fun. This meeting begins at 6:30.
- There is no meeting in August, as we encourage our members to attend the annual MoSGA conference. For information about the August 2017 conference, click here.
- The December meeting is time for new officer elections. It is often (but not always) a dinner held off-site and usually begins at an earlier time.
- To provide improved public access to information from central Missouri counties which is currently inaccessible.
- To educate membership in the use of technological advances pertaining to genealogical research.
- promote genealogical workshops, seminars and forums;
- provide up-to-date equipment for the extraction of information
- To improve the out-reach services to members; i.e., queries, information, assistance.
- To seek out information on central Missouri counties which is currently unavailable.
- To cooperate with existing central Missouri historical and genealogical societies in the compilation of information.
- To maintain and expand a library of research material sufficient to meet the needs of researchers.
- Thank you to our web administration team members: Rob Taylor, Thresa Chism and Nancy Waller Thomas. These members have been trained by EasyNetSites to manage all modules of our website.
- The Bur Oak Tree, shown in our website banner, is the oldest known tree of its kind in Missouri. It is estimated to be 350 years old and is located near McBaine, Boone County, MO. The photo was taken by member Thresa Chism.
September Meeting 7:00 pm at Boone Electric Cooperative
Tatyana Shinn, Assistant Director of Reference at the State Historical Society of Missouri, will present "Newspaper Research".
October Meeting 7:00 pm at Boone Electric Cooperative
Speaker and Topic TBA
October Board Meeting 6:30 pm Columbia Public Library, Room to be Announced
All members are welcome to attend.
November Meeting 7:00 pm at Boone Electric Cooperative
Speaker and Topic TBA
December Meeting 6:30 pm
Join us for food and fellowship, with a brief business meeting. The main order of business for the meeting will be election of 2018 officers.